savings

Guest guest

I cannot believe the Mayor caved-in, just as President Obama just did, and settled for what is not really a savings for the town, just a few carefully worded issues that have no real monetary value behined them. The highest paid fireman are still getting raises which at their pay, percentage wise, is much more costly than the 17 new members not getting raises. A give back of $750 when you are making $100 to $150k a year and a 1.5% contribution towards medical costs amounts to very little. How they present this as a $1.1 million in savings is a complete farce and smoke-n-mirrors. This is a big let down to the residents and the fireman were partially right when they initially stated the Mayor had no spine but now they love him. How about a wage freeze for everyone at the KFD just like everyone else in the country is getting. Sad and disheartening news for the citizens.

I cannot believe the Mayor caved-in, just as President Obama just did, and settled for what is not really a savings for the town, just a few carefully worded issues that have no real monetary value behined them. The highest paid fireman are still getting raises which at their pay, percentage wise, is much more costly than the 17 new members not getting raises. A give back of $750 when you are making $100 to $150k a year and a 1.5% contribution towards medical costs amounts to very little. How they present this as a $1.1 million in savings is a complete farce and smoke-n-mirrors. This is a big let down to the residents and the fireman were partially right when they initially stated the Mayor had no spine but now they love him. How about a wage freeze for everyone at the KFD just like everyone else in the country is getting. Sad and disheartening news for the citizens.

Well said guest....

Guest Kearny's Bravest

Boo Hoo Hoo, cry me a river.

You don't have the details at all. 17 firefighters are frozen in salary and step.

That's exactly what the poster stated. It is the newest 17 members which would be the lowest paid ones. I am very happy there is a deal as I didn't want to see any layoffs but feel bad for those younger guys. Honestly it's the older guys that could afford give up a little more. It's a shame the people on the department barely making anything are the ones with frozen salaries, but hey I guess it's better than termination. Just wish the older guys stepped up and maybe gave back 1500 or something so those young guys could get a slight raise.

You don't have the details at all. 17 firefighters are frozen in salary and step.

Exactly right.The selfish "OLDTIMERS" screwed the young brave war heroes.What united front those guys showed.

Guest Concerned Citizen

You should check your facts before you post them "MR FACT CHECKER" ! Cause yours are WRONG!

Exactly right.The selfish "OLDTIMERS" screwed the young brave war heroes.What united front those guys showed.

It doesn't matter if they were veterans. That should play no piece in if the town could afford them or not. They are firefighters now and to give them special treatment after they are hired could be argued as a violation of the equal protection clause.

I see how tight you brave firemen brothers are by selling out the new guys in order for the older rich guys getting their way. That kind of brotherly love brings tears to my eyes. Total hypocrits and greedy bastards. Also, I cannot see how retirements from 2007 produce savings in 2011. How about a line item breakdown of each particular savings in real money terms so the residents can better understand how the town came miraculously to this $1.1 million magical number that could not even be produced with terminating 15 fireman jobs. There is no possible way that this can be done. How does a fireman retiring 3 or 4 years ago magically have their job counted as a retirement in 2011. Wasn't it recorded in the 2007 budget when they actually left. This $1.1 million dollar number cannot be realistically to a person with even just an elementary school education. Just not possible. Another way to deceive the public with no concrete monetary savings. This was poorly presented and I guarentee that you cannot provide a breakdown showing actual savings in todays money.

So basically, the 17 new members were thrown to the wolves!!!

I get the "thrown to the wolves" part with the firemen concerned. Quite funny I might add. Its also quite sad that they called the residents "little sheep" and turned their anger towards the people when they didn't think the Mayor would cave. Now that the Mayor has caved-in with his mythical $1.1 million in savings and nobody is being terminated, they want to apologise and have the citizens feed their ego's some more. Take your apology and shove it, KFD. This will not soon be forgotten.

Guest jus sayin

Maybe I'm missing something here but where is it that a Firefighter referred to the citizens of Kearny as "little sheep"?

And where is the apology for this comment.

I have seen the "little sheep" post but have failed to see where this person "claimed" to be a Firefighter.

I certainly hope that a post I made in reference to the "little sheep" comment was not mistaken for an apology for it.

Far from it, and I thought I was pretty clear about that.

It is my belief that the inflammatory comments made on this website by persons referring to themselves as Firefighters are nothing more than intentionaly derisive BS posted by people with an ax to grind with the KFD and firefighters in general and are merely using this faceless, nameless website to further their cause and we the readers as pawns in this game.

My Grandfather used to tell me "believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see"

Still good advice today.

jus sayin

Was your grandfather a fireman? Maybe he passed down to you that the people are "little sheep" because we all know that a fireman's son usually does the same thing because he see's what an easy life his father had and how rich he got doing nothing. It's kind of sad to see that your geandfather passed this almost genetic code of being an underachiever on to you. Was grandma a fireman also?

Was your grandfather a fireman? Maybe he passed down to you that the people are "little sheep" because we all know that a fireman's son usually does the same thing because he see's what an easy life his father had and how rich he got doing nothing. It's kind of sad to see that your geandfather passed this almost genetic code of being an underachiever on to you. Was grandma a fireman also?

How come KOTW doesn't attach the comment "Reason for edit: Note: The above information is not confirmed." to each post that mentions that a firefighter was apparently quoted as calling Kearny residents "Little Sheep". It's a story just as much as my story about when I heard the dispatch situation that I described in the Harrison section and you posted that. Please be consistent either do it or don't. I highly doubt this is true anyway.

Unless of course KOTW has an article or news source with that.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe I'm missing something here but where is it that a Firefighter referred to the citizens of Kearny as "little sheep"?

And where is the apology for this comment.

I have seen the "little sheep" post but have failed to see where this person "claimed" to be a Firefighter.

I certainly hope that a post I made in reference to the "little sheep" comment was not mistaken for an apology for it.

Far from it, and I thought I was pretty clear about that.

It is my belief that the inflammatory comments made on this website by persons referring to themselves as Firefighters are nothing more than intentionaly derisive BS posted by people with an ax to grind with the KFD and firefighters in general and are merely using this faceless, nameless website to further their cause and we the readers as pawns in this game.

My Grandfather used to tell me "believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see"

Still good advice today.

jus sayin

Jus?