KPD Layoffs

Guest Unionguy

Guest Unionguy

I recently read online that the PBA/SOA bargaining agents for the Kearny police dept. had reached a tentative agreement with the town to stop layoffs and demotions. I read that the plan is to use so called "comptime" and other givebacks/concessions in lieu of paying overtime for officers when needed. As a union member and shop steward I have to yell a great big "NO!". Do not take this deal as it is simply a trap! The mayor and council want to make this deal so it looks good for them compared to what Newark/JC/Camden just did. What you guys don't get is that come 2012 they are gonna come right back after you and threaten layoffs/demotions again and demand more cuts! The #1 union law when bargaining/negotiating is DO NOT GIVE BACK! The things that are in your contracts are things members worked had to get, most of it at their own expense(lawyers/arbitrators/etc.)Giving back to the town is the worst thing you can do, because the people slated for layoffs and demotions will eventually be laid off and demoted anyway. Once the town has decided on this there is no stopping it. All you are doing by taking a cut is delaying the inevitable, downsizing.I urge you guys to reconsider and NOT TAKE THIS DEAL. The well being and future of the MAJORITY must come first, and this deal is simply about saving jobs and positions of the few, not the majority. You must look out for the majority here because you are taking THEIR overtime away, and you will never see it again no matter what you have on paper with the town. It sounds crappy but you have to put the friendship aside and worry about me here, say sorry to your friends and co workers, don't take the deal, and hope for the best. Overtime is the only thing you CAN control here, as it has to be paid to those when required to keep up minimum manpower numbers. Let them layoff, take advantage of your unlimited sick time, and watch the O/T fly. After 2 or 3 months the town will see what is going on and hire your friends back to stop the massive amounts of O/T being paid out. Then when they hire back, keep it up and step on their throats as payback for messing with you in the first place. Good luck brothers and sisters, and don't give back!

I recently read online that the PBA/SOA bargaining agents for the Kearny police dept. had reached a tentative agreement with the town to stop layoffs and demotions. I read that the plan is to use so called "comptime" and other givebacks/concessions in lieu of paying overtime for officers when needed. As a union member and shop steward I have to yell a great big "NO!". Do not take this deal as it is simply a trap! The mayor and council want to make this deal so it looks good for them compared to what Newark/JC/Camden just did. What you guys don't get is that come 2012 they are gonna come right back after you and threaten layoffs/demotions again and demand more cuts! The #1 union law when bargaining/negotiating is DO NOT GIVE BACK! The things that are in your contracts are things members worked had to get, most of it at their own expense(lawyers/arbitrators/etc.)Giving back to the town is the worst thing you can do, because the people slated for layoffs and demotions will eventually be laid off and demoted anyway. Once the town has decided on this there is no stopping it. All you are doing by taking a cut is delaying the inevitable, downsizing.I urge you guys to reconsider and NOT TAKE THIS DEAL. The well being and future of the MAJORITY must come first, and this deal is simply about saving jobs and positions of the few, not the majority. You must look out for the majority here because you are taking THEIR overtime away, and you will never see it again no matter what you have on paper with the town. It sounds crappy but you have to put the friendship aside and worry about me here, say sorry to your friends and co workers, don't take the deal, and hope for the best. Overtime is the only thing you CAN control here, as it has to be paid to those when required to keep up minimum manpower numbers. Let them layoff, take advantage of your unlimited sick time, and watch the O/T fly. After 2 or 3 months the town will see what is going on and hire your friends back to stop the massive amounts of O/T being paid out. Then when they hire back, keep it up and step on their throats as payback for messing with you in the first place. Good luck brothers and sisters, and don't give back!

"Unionguy" ?? Must be the hamburger flippers union at Burger King, what an idiot.

Guest Philosopher Prince

You are an extreme utilitarian, willing to sacrifice the minority because you're part of the majority. Thank goodness you were not one of the guys stuck in the Chilean mine shaft for months. Because if you were, you would have asked to sacrifice the weakest in order to make the limited food rations last longer.

Utilitarianism is the philosophy. Selfishness is the character flaw.