Mayor Santos Responds to Critics

KOTW

While the mayor does point out the tough rules enacted by the gov. He carefully words his letter to basically make the fire department look to be the cause of the mess with him saying they are getting a 17% raise this year. When in fact, the raise is 17% retroactive back to 2008. The fire department has gotten 0% raises , in 2008, 2009, and in 2010. So while Kearny had that nice 9 million surplus in 2009 the fire department still had 0%. So this is money that should have been allocated for because he knew eventually the bill would come in.

The town has been given breaks on the pension payments for years now, so it should also be no shock that all of a sudden, its time to start making pension payments. The mayor should make that clear in his letter, instead of trying to push the blame on the public workers.

Guest Third warder

The Kearny Police and Fire are correct that the town did not budget correctly for the pay increases. The Mayor has not lied in his letter but he also did not footnote the fact that the 17% increase is due to retro. That being said, the town, like many in NJ, are in crisis. Taxpayers can no longer take the burden of ever increasing taxes. This is why Chris Christie is so popular. Mayor Santos has no choice and he simply should do what is necessary and not look back. The Police and Fireman should simply take a pay cut of 10% and be happy that they have a job. The rest of us already took pay cuts for the last 2 years. The Fireman have it easy. Give up the retro pay increases that you aren't feeling right now and that will save fellow fireman's jobs. Ask yourselves, is it better to have a job at my current salary or no job? The answer is keep your job and tell your union leaders to put it to a vote. Vote for a job and not the unemployment line. You will never get another job as good as you have it now. Stop being pigs. The world is collapsing around you and all you can think of is yourselves.

Mayor Santos be honest and do what is necessary.

I wish the Honorable Mayor Santos would just have the drive to disband the entire Kearny Fire Department in one shot, much like Bobby J. did to the Hudson County Police, and let the fallout be whatever it has to be. The firemen make too much damn money for a part-time job, and 99% of that part-time whatever you call it is spent completely inactive. Get rid of the current gang and then go hire back at 25% of the salaries. People would take the on the task just for the benefits for their families, nevermind the pay. They have had it too easy for too long. A firemans so called job is nothing more than reliving a childhood fantasy of playing with toy fire engines. Santos isn't complaining, he is just stating the facts about the towns economic future. He HAS to do something NOW because this last year the town got little aide from Christie and in the next few years the town isn't going to get anything at all. Why should the people, who aren't getting raises at work, only their hours cut, shoulder the burden, by means of skyrocketing tax increases, of these overpaid couch potatoes and Rip Van Winkles. There is a time and place for everything, and now is the time to remedy a situation that has been out of control for years in Kearny and thruout Hudson County. The planes on 9/11 didn't aim for Kearny town hall, miss, and accidentally hit the WTC. Yet that is how the firemen act. Mayor Santos is one of the nicest and sensible men I have ever had the pleasure of meeting and I am sure will make the the right correction to move this town in the right direction. The Honorable Mayor Santos is being villanized and put in the hot seat but you voted for him to be there. Now trust him to do what is right for ALL OF THE PEOPLE, not just the few. Greed is what brings towns to their knees and the average of $100,000.00 a year per fireman is totally unreasonable. There are probably only a handfull of people that live in the town making this kind of money and the majority of the firemen do not live in Kearny. The RESIDENTS are what matters, not you. If you don't like your welfare job or how much you are getting paid, THEN LEAVE. Theres your answer.

Guest KPDBlue

I wish the Honorable Mayor Santos would just have the drive to disband the entire Kearny Fire Department in one shot, much like Bobby J. did to the Hudson County Police, and let the fallout be whatever it has to be. The firemen make too much damn money for a part-time job, and 99% of that part-time whatever you call it is spent completely inactive. Get rid of the current gang and then go hire back at 25% of the salaries. People would take the on the task just for the benefits for their families, nevermind the pay. They have had it too easy for too long. A firemans so called job is nothing more than reliving a childhood fantasy of playing with toy fire engines. Santos isn't complaining, he is just stating the facts about the towns economic future. He HAS to do something NOW because this last year the town got little aide from Christie and in the next few years the town isn't going to get anything at all. Why should the people, who aren't getting raises at work, only their hours cut, shoulder the burden, by means of skyrocketing tax increases, of these overpaid couch potatoes and Rip Van Winkles. There is a time and place for everything, and now is the time to remedy a situation that has been out of control for years in Kearny and thruout Hudson County. The planes on 9/11 didn't aim for Kearny town hall, miss, and accidentally hit the WTC. Yet that is how the firemen act. Mayor Santos is one of the nicest and sensible men I have ever had the pleasure of meeting and I am sure will make the the right correction to move this town in the right direction. The Honorable Mayor Santos is being villanized and put in the hot seat but you voted for him to be there. Now trust him to do what is right for ALL OF THE PEOPLE, not just the few. Greed is what brings towns to their knees and the average of $100,000.00 a year per fireman is totally unreasonable. There are probably only a handfull of people that live in the town making this kind of money and the majority of the firemen do not live in Kearny. The RESIDENTS are what matters, not you. If you don't like your welfare job or how much you are getting paid, THEN LEAVE. Theres your answer.

What is stopping You??? If the thought of a 24/7 paid fire Dept is so onerous, THEN MOVE and go someplace where there is a Volunteer Department. You little sheep make me smile..the Politicians who's asses you kiss on a regular basis LAUGH AT YOU behind your backs, and do nothing that doesnt benefit themselves. they lie at every turn and when they DO tell the truth it is so twisted, spun, and limited that it is meaningless...yot you S**K it up like it is the Holy Writ of God himself. Kearny is a perfect example of people really getting the Government they DESERVE.

You think the Mayor is being villainized? Every chance he gets, he uses the Jersey Journal to spin his double talk. "I appreciate the public servants, but they're greedy." I paraphrased and simplified actual quotes, but the meat and potatoes is still there.

Rest assured if we stay with the same number of PD and FD, or if we do have the layoffs, our taxes go UP. Take it to the bank; it happens everytime. Even if the Mayor has a surplus. But, continue to believe that this Mayor holds your interests ABOVE HIS OWN.

Mr. Mayor,

According to my calculations the average fire fighters salary in the town is just over 70 thousand for year 2010! Now I have to wonder what other numbers are wrong!!!! Dont lie to us! Tell us you made a mistake or maybe your not as smart as you like people to believe you are. Or maybe calculating averages "just aint your thang". I think your just a liar after all we do call you Mayor right?

Guest Fact Checker

While the mayor does point out the tough rules enacted by the gov. He carefully words his letter to basically make the fire department look to be the cause of the mess with him saying they are getting a 17% raise this year. When in fact, the raise is 17% retroactive back to 2008. The fire department has gotten 0% raises , in 2008, 2009, and in 2010. So while Kearny had that nice 9 million surplus in 2009 the fire department still had 0%. So this is money that should have been allocated for because he knew eventually the bill would come in.

The town has been given breaks on the pension payments for years now, so it should also be no shock that all of a sudden, its time to start making pension payments. The mayor should make that clear in his letter, instead of trying to push the blame on the public workers.

1. The Mayor's letter never blamed the retroactive payments for prior years for the budget problem. He pointed out that on July 1, 2011, a fireman's salary will be 17.25% higher than it is this year. That's salaries going FORWARD, forever, unless reversed on appeal.

2. Go to the State pension site. The town has made ALL its pension payments for its employees.

Guest Fact Checker II

What is stopping You??? If the thought of a 24/7 paid fire Dept is so onerous, THEN MOVE and go someplace where there is a Volunteer Department. You little sheep make me smile..the Politicians who's asses you kiss on a regular basis LAUGH AT YOU behind your backs, and do nothing that doesnt benefit themselves. they lie at every turn and when they DO tell the truth it is so twisted, spun, and limited that it is meaningless...yot you S**K it up like it is the Holy Writ of God himself. Kearny is a perfect example of people really getting the Government they DESERVE.

You mean do what half the Kearny Fire Department has done, which is live outside Kearny in a town with a VOLUNTEER fire department? If volunteer fire departments are good enough for a paid fireman's home and family, what does that tell you?

Guest KPDBlue

You mean do what half the Kearny Fire Department has done, which is live outside Kearny in a town with a VOLUNTEER fire department? If volunteer fire departments are good enough for a paid fireman's home and family, what does that tell you?

Ok Genius, are YOU going to step up and Volunteer??? This town couldnt keep TWO PEOPLE ON ONE AMBULANCE 24/7 where do you suppose you'll get enough volunteers to fight fires??? Lord I LOVE the Sheep.... "There's too many cops cut them back" Couple of months later "What took you so long to come when i called, I PAY YOUR SALARY!!!!!" "There are too many Firemen they make too much Money...GET RID OF THEM" and then of course it's "My house is on fire, who's going to put it out..I'LL SUE THE TOWN" Kind of like it was with the Ambulance wasnt it??? "I dont want to Volunteer..but SOMEONE had better be there to carry my fat ass down the stairs when i'm sick.....what do you MEAN there's no Ambulance?? I'm suing the Town" Dance little Sheep, Dance...let your Politicians call the tune and promise you the world, and when the lies fall through, and the promises go flat, accept them blaming everyone but themselves for screwing you over.

Guest Fact Checker II

Ok Genius, are YOU going to step up and Volunteer??? This town couldnt keep TWO PEOPLE ON ONE AMBULANCE 24/7 where do you suppose you'll get enough volunteers to fight fires??? Lord I LOVE the Sheep.... "There's too many cops cut them back" Couple of months later "What took you so long to come when i called, I PAY YOUR SALARY!!!!!" "There are too many Firemen they make too much Money...GET RID OF THEM" and then of course it's "My house is on fire, who's going to put it out..I'LL SUE THE TOWN" Kind of like it was with the Ambulance wasnt it??? "I dont want to Volunteer..but SOMEONE had better be there to carry my fat ass down the stairs when i'm sick.....what do you MEAN there's no Ambulance?? I'm suing the Town" Dance little Sheep, Dance...let your Politicians call the tune and promise you the world, and when the lies fall through, and the promises go flat, accept them blaming everyone but themselves for screwing you over.

Then how do the towns with volunteer fire departments provide coverage, like North Arlington and Lyndhurst?

Doesn't the Kearny Ambulance provide 24/7 coverage now with mostly part-time workers?

Guest Fact Checker II

Then how do the towns with volunteer fire departments provide coverage, like North Arlington and Lyndhurst?

Doesn't the Kearny Ambulance provide 24/7 coverage now with mostly part-time workers?

Guest Ret. City Chief

The difference between professional and volunteer fire dept's is RESPONSE TIME. Call in a house fire at 3am and a professional dept. is out the door and there in 2 minutes. Call in a house fire at 3am and a volunteer is home sleeping in his bed. After being awakened by his pager, he gets dressed, goes out to his car, drives to the fire house, changes clothes to his turnout gear, gets on the truck and drives to the fire.

Many 3am house fires in towns with volunteer fire dept's are total losses. This isn't a knock on volunteer dept's, it's a law of chemistry that a fire will double in intensity every 15-20 seconds with a one room fire becoming a fully involved house in 9 minutes, give or take.

If this is the kind of "coverage" you'd be happy with then move to Lindhurst or NA.

Guest KPDBlue

The towns with Volunteers have a Tradition of Volunteerism. Kearny Ambulance is COMPLETELY PAID. They are a Private service, with a contract with the town. Part time or full time doesnt mattter, because they are NO LONGE VOLUNTEERS. They have nott been volunteers since the Town had to sign an emergency contracr with the former EMTAC service out of Irvington, after KVERS was out of service because of a lack of people more than they were IN service, and Harrison and North Arlington pulled out of their Mutual Aid agreements. Again..If the Town of Kearny couldnt Keep TWO people 24/7/365, WHERE DO YOU EXPECT THEM TO GET FIFTEEN TO TWENTY to fight a Fire???