the mayor is full of it

Guest 3rdWard

Guest 3rdWard

The mayor says in the paper that the fire dept is getting a 17% raise in one year as if we should all be furious of such a raise. If the mayor wasn't such a wimp, he would have told everyone that the raise is retroactive back years, as the fire department hasn't gotten a raise in years. Thats why it seems like such a large raise. While the getting was good the mayor and council refused to give the fire dept. a raise and budgeted accordingly. Now the bill is due, and he blames the unions for the financial mess.

Do me a favor Mr. Mayor, grow a spine. If this town was like others and people actually ran against current politicians he would be singing a different tune. Same thing with the police department. The town offered the current contract to the department to avoid long legal battles that wind up costing a fortune. The police department accepted and now the mayor is blaming the union for not wanting to give back the money. I wonder why?

Could it be the town asked the cs11 union to give back money and was told by helping the town out , there would be no furlough days imposed. So what does our spineless mayor do? He takes the money back from the union and still imposes the furlough days. Its no wonder these unions do not want to negotiate with a liar.

How long will we keep someone in power just because his last name is Santos?

The mayor says in the paper that the fire dept is getting a 17% raise in one year as if we should all be furious of such a raise. If the mayor wasn't such a wimp, he would have told everyone that the raise is retroactive back years, as the fire department hasn't gotten a raise in years. Thats why it seems like such a large raise. While the getting was good the mayor and council refused to give the fire dept. a raise and budgeted accordingly. Now the bill is due, and he blames the unions for the financial mess.

Do me a favor Mr. Mayor, grow a spine. If this town was like others and people actually ran against current politicians he would be singing a different tune. Same thing with the police department. The town offered the current contract to the department to avoid long legal battles that wind up costing a fortune. The police department accepted and now the mayor is blaming the union for not wanting to give back the money. I wonder why?

Could it be the town asked the cs11 union to give back money and was told by helping the town out , there would be no furlough days imposed. So what does our spineless mayor do? He takes the money back from the union and still imposes the furlough days. Its no wonder these unions do not want to negotiate with a liar.

How long will we keep someone in power just because his last name is Santos?

You are so right. The problem is no one comes out to vote. Forty thousand Residents live in the TOWN OF KEARNY only 6000 thousand come out to vote. What a shame.

Why does it surprise anyone that Santos lies? He double talks his way through every situation, and then flat out lies when things don't go his way. He refused to negotiate these proposals with either CS 11 or the Dept. Heads, it was his way or the highway. It was brought up by the unions to cut half of the furlough days, therefore cutting half the layoffs. Flat out rejected by the Santos administration. There's new hires he wants to protect, and he'll do anything to keep his people active. He wants these furlough days desperately. He refuses to listen to counter proposals, yet he states he's willing to continue negotiations. It's disheartening. Congratulations to the police and fire unions for striking deals to keep everybody employed. But it should be noted that neither union gave back any out of pocket cash. Their base salaries will be the same, or higher, in 2011. Cs 11and the dept heads are being asked to give up 14.75% in salary. I don't see how that is shared sacrafice that the mayor keeps trumpeting.

Guest Shared Sacrificee

Why does it surprise anyone that Santos lies? He double talks his way through every situation, and then flat out lies when things don't go his way. He refused to negotiate these proposals with either CS 11 or the Dept. Heads, it was his way or the highway. It was brought up by the unions to cut half of the furlough days, therefore cutting half the layoffs. Flat out rejected by the Santos administration. There's new hires he wants to protect, and he'll do anything to keep his people active. He wants these furlough days desperately. He refuses to listen to counter proposals, yet he states he's willing to continue negotiations. It's disheartening. Congratulations to the police and fire unions for striking deals to keep everybody employed. But it should be noted that neither union gave back any out of pocket cash. Their base salaries will be the same, or higher, in 2011. Cs 11and the dept heads are being asked to give up 14.75% in salary. I don't see how that is shared sacrafice that the mayor keeps trumpeting.

Hey ladies, stop crying, MAN UP, and negotiate a deal for CS 11.

Hey ladies, stop crying, MAN UP, and negotiate a deal for CS 11.

Not a lady, nor am I crying. Just don't see what's shared when police and fire give up approximately 10% per employee and no reduction in their base pay, while non uniform are being asked to give up 15% of base pay. Can you explain how that is shared? Don't want to hear how they put their lives on the line every day. Ever drive a truck loaded with 30 tons of salt down Pedan terrace in an ice storm? we face danger too. We just want a fair shake.

I believe that the person is saying is that the Kearny fire dept. is out of control as far as salaries and number of employees there are. They actually think they are so special that the town can give them raises when unemployment in this country is 10% to 11% and people are losing their homes at an increasing rate every month. The problem is they just don't care about the residents and their attitude of superiority to the people, I imagine Bill Gates or Warren Buffet don't even measure up, is really starting to piss people off, like the Governor for instance. You'll learn a little bit about life someday but right now you're out of gas, except for the toxic emissions coming out of your mouth.

It would seem to me that a smart salt truck driver would go UP Peden Terrace in an ice storm, not down.

jus sayin

And an even better idea would to back up pedan terrace spreading salt ahead of you.....jeez just sayin do we have to come up with all the answers!!!! Philip Kearny would be rolling over in his grave if one of his trucks drove down Pedan in an ice storm

And an even better idea would to back up pedan terrace spreading salt ahead of you.....jeez just sayin do we have to come up with all the answers!!!! Philip Kearny would be rolling over in his grave if one of his trucks drove down Pedan in an ice storm

That's what the rookies do. I get top dollar cause I can handle the truck going down Pedan terrace. Which is why Santos/Martello will never see me taking a furlough day. Eventually Mayor, you're going to have to get to your boys on the bottom of the list. You can't hide them behind mechanics and sanitation inspectors forever. Then maybe all this stupidity about furlough days will disappear.

I also was angered by the mayor's attempt to shine a 'greedy' light on our firefighters. The firefighters of Kearny have worked for five plus years with no contract and no raise. The raise amounts to a little over 3% per year (almost in line with the 2% cap) along with the givebacks that the men and women of the fire department have agreed to ie., 1.5% in healthcare costs, $750 per person etc., they are doing more than the mayor and his paid staff are doing to help the budget in Kearny. What the mayor has left out is that he made this deal with the officers union as well which wasn't even on the table. So all the over paid officers of the fire department will be getting a raise as well when that wasn't even part of the negotiations. Oh yeah, Mr Santos, one smart mayor - NOT!!

And of course you will be calling the "overpaid" fire department when you get yourself in trouble rolling up or down Pedan Terrace won't you? Personally I don't think $80,000 a year for being on a very dangerous job 27+ years is overpaid. Im just sayin'

The vote is in, FD voted NO to the new contract. Layoffs and demotions are certain. The wealthy have spoken, money over jobs.

Where, oh where, do these people get their misinformation???

I would like to think that the moderators would not allow speculation of this sort. Each is entitled to their opinion, but this was stated as a fact, with no proof or substance behind it.

That was a good try. The HFD took ONLY a 2% raise when it should be 3%. Well, Mark McGuire also almost hit 800 home runs but he didn't. Who cares? Nobody is getting raises these days across the whole country. Social security is getting cut along with everything else. Why the hell do the fireman think they deserve a raise at all? They should have addressed the no contract for five years five years ago because now its just too late. They should get what everybody is getting THIS year, nothing. Lets no forget the fireman are also gonna get large retroactive checks for those five years as a nice Christmas gift. Nobody else is. Where do these large retroactive checks figure into the $1.1 million dollar savings? Bethcha they don't. How can these underachieving fireman continue to show their greed when the rest of the damn people can't even pay their car insurance. One day I hope that greed and disregard for the welfare of the "little sheep" as the fireman call the public will be their downfall. Maybe the next Mayor will have a pair to do what should have been done in the first place, widespread terminations of these welfare jobs without any discussions.

That was a good try. The HFD took ONLY a 2% raise when it should be 3%. Well, Mark McGuire also almost hit 800 home runs but he didn't. Who cares? Nobody is getting raises these days across the whole country. Social security is getting cut along with everything else. Why the hell do the fireman think they deserve a raise at all? They should have addressed the no contract for five years five years ago because now its just too late. They should get what everybody is getting THIS year, nothing. Lets no forget the fireman are also gonna get large retroactive checks for those five years as a nice Christmas gift. Nobody else is. Where do these large retroactive checks figure into the $1.1 million dollar savings? Bethcha they don't. How can these underachieving fireman continue to show their greed when the rest of the damn people can't even pay their car insurance. One day I hope that greed and disregard for the welfare of the "little sheep" as the fireman call the public will be their downfall. Maybe the next Mayor will have a pair to do what should have been done in the first place, widespread terminations of these welfare jobs without any discussions.

Towns usually put aside pay for retroactive checks. They have been putting a certain amount each year in anticipation of a new contract. From what I thought I heard Santos say at one time is they already have the retroactive money aside, it wouldn't be coming from this year or next years budget.

Guest OnceKPD

Towns usually put aside pay for retroactive checks. They have been putting a certain amount each year in anticipation of a new contract. From what I thought I heard Santos say at one time is they already have the retroactive money aside, it wouldn't be coming from this year or next years budget.

By law the Town is SUPPOSED to put aside money, equivalent to the maximum amount that could possibly be awarded, in anticipation of any Arbitrators decision. Kearny Politicians, like they do with most things, has a tendency to "Forget" to do this. SOME things dont ever seem to change...including outside parties trying to pit the departments against each other whenever they work together..imagine that. The one thing the politicians HATE even more than educated Voters, is the Cops and Firemen actually working together, united. The Sheep and Sheepdogs thing goes back to the Vietnam War.....and is no less true now than then.