Great rescue by KFD!

Guest Guest

Great job by the KFD saving two civilians at an apartment fire at the corner of Bergen and Wilson this morning! KFD got their quick enough to get the two people off the roof before the fire spread to them and got the fire out before it took the whole building. Unfortunately two other people living in the fire apartment had to be taken to the hospital thankfully with non-life threatening injuries along with one fire fighter who was hurt trying to reach the trapped occupants! Scary to think what would have happend if they had 15 less guys. :unsure:

Guest 2smart4u

Great job by the KFD saving two civilians at an apartment fire at the corner of Bergen and Wilson this morning! KFD got their quick enough to get the two people off the roof before the fire spread to them and got the fire out before it took the whole building. Unfortunately two other people living in the fire apartment had to be taken to the hospital thankfully with non-life threatening injuries along with one fire fighter who was hurt trying to reach the trapped occupants! Scary to think what would have happend if they had 15 less guys. :unsure:

Great stop, KFD. Now get ready for the haters comments; blah blah blah blah and blah.

Wait, according to the mayor Kearny doesn't have any fires? There must be a mistake made by the paper. Maybe we should ask the two people who were saved if they need the fire department and police officer.

Wait, according to the mayor Kearny doesn't have any fires? There must be a mistake made by the paper. Maybe we should ask the two people who were saved if they need the fire department and police officer.

Grow up. Your childish comments make the rest of your department look foolish.

THE SERVICE PROVIDED WAS PROFESSIONAL AND EFFECTIVE. HOWEVER, THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE TRAINED AND PAID TO DO I WOULD EXPECT NOTHING LESS.

And you shouldnt with the companies in service. Layoff 15 and 2 companies will be eliminated. Will make it much harder on the fire fighters to make the rescues and put the fire out.

THE SERVICE PROVIDED WAS PROFESSIONAL AND EFFECTIVE. HOWEVER, THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE TRAINED AND PAID TO DO I WOULD EXPECT NOTHING LESS.

"Professional and effective" should always be expected, but what happens when those professionals are not THERE? If the Mayor gets the cuts he seeks, I heard the FD loses up to two units, that would seem like a lot, and I hope my family doesn't need help if no one is available.

"Professional and effective" should always be expected, but what happens when those professionals are not THERE? If the Mayor gets the cuts he seeks, I heard the FD loses up to two units, that would seem like a lot, and I hope my family doesn't need help if no one is available.

The problem is more and more towns are relying on mutual aid. Unfortunately many towns are no longer in a position to give it as freely as possible. Harrison use to have 2 Engines and 1 Ladder in service every day. Now they barely have 1 Engine and 1 Ladder in service. I was listening on my scanner during the fire the other day and Kearny had put Harrison on standby to cover while they were fighting the fire. Harrison had 1 Ladder and 1 Engine available. Then Harrison had to send EMS 2 over to Kearny to assist at the fire scene then they went onto assist on 2nd call in Kearny. Harrison's BC then told his dispatcher to notify Kearny that they only had Engine 3 available. So that is what was available to cover all of Harrison/Kearny at that time. I never heard a tone go out on NA or EN’s frequencies, so they weren’t on standby. If any thing else came it would of been quite a slow response. Now this is with current levels. Imagine if the FD was short 1 Engine and 1 Ladder Company more. You would of had Harrison at the fire and most likely a NA or EN apparatus. This would leave protection in the area very thin for any other emergencies. Fire Departments do everything they can to help out their neighbors but we have to consider the fact with cutbacks in other neighboring towns like JC, North Hudson, Harrison that those towns will not be able to offer all the resources that you can count on. It is imperative that the mayor and council realize this. Would the fire have been put out the other day if Kearny was shorthanded? Yes. But as efficiently and safe as they did? No. Waiting on resources is never a good thing. Tackling a fire in its first stages are extremely important to a successful operation. They say fire is doubled every minute in size. Think about that. Save our Fire Department. Keep our residents safe!

How does this factor into the layoffs? They should lay-off 50 fireman. If a cop makes an arrest today should that matter? No, he was just doing his job. When are the firemen going to figure out that every time they get a cat out of a tree it doesn't mean they are entitled to $100,000 to $150,000 each plus benefits for life. The town simply cannot afford these overpaid underachievers. Open up the town to volunteers and they will come at a massive property tax savings. A real hero is like the soldier who just was awarded the Medal of Honor, only 68 people are alive in this country to have that distinction. Squirting a water hose on a building just doesn't qualify as "hero" is the most overused word in the Englich language and has lost its meaning.

How does this factor into the layoffs? They should lay-off 50 fireman. If a cop makes an arrest today should that matter? No, he was just doing his job. When are the firemen going to figure out that every time they get a cat out of a tree it doesn't mean they are entitled to $100,000 to $150,000 each plus benefits for life. The town simply cannot afford these overpaid underachievers. Open up the town to volunteers and they will come at a massive property tax savings. A real hero is like the soldier who just was awarded the Medal of Honor, only 68 people are alive in this country to have that distinction. Squirting a water hose on a building just doesn't qualify as "hero" is the most overused word in the Englich language and has lost its meaning.

JUST a fact most of the firemen getting laid off were soldiers in the US military who served more than two tours in iraq... So you go tell that hero to who might squirt water on your house one day that he does not matter.

JUST a fact most of the firemen getting laid off were soldiers in the US military who served more than two tours in iraq... So you go tell that hero to who might squirt water on your house one day that he does not matter.

I am against FD/PD layoffs.

I do not believe the fact any of them may have been Vets should play a factor when it comes to laying off. Yes they served their country in a special way but if I was a FF and it came down to layoffs what I did before I was a FF should not factor in. How I perform my current job should. Unfortunatly the Civil Service rules require you just to work backwards in regards to layoffs.

Now the firemen are claiming to be military veterans who saw combat overseas in our recent military actions. To that I say you also signed-up for an easy check and benefits to be a weekend warrior once a month then got the shock of your life when called to duty, "if" its actually true. Once again, watch out for what you sign-up for because you might actually get it. I give you absolutely no credit even if you did serve because you didn't willingly do it. It was just bad luck on your part. Now shut your piehole, OK.

Now the firemen are claiming to be military veterans who saw combat overseas in our recent military actions. To that I say you also signed-up for an easy check and benefits to be a weekend warrior once a month then got the shock of your life when called to duty, "if" its actually true. Once again, watch out for what you sign-up for because you might actually get it. I give you absolutely no credit even if you did serve because you didn't willingly do it. It was just bad luck on your part. Now shut your piehole, OK.

You are either the biggest idiot in the world or just really uninformed. You can not "claim" to be a veteran. You have to serve in a war zone for over 90 days to recieve veterans status. And for a veteran to not "willingly do it" once again makes no sense, since they all signed up by their own doing. There hasn't been a draft in this country since the vietnam war. So maybe you should keep your piehole shut and get the facts straight before you make yourself look stupid again, OK?

What is the Englich language?

They just did their job. Like someone in the private sector who goes to work evryday. Big deal, who cares?

Because people in the private sector arent pulling people out of burning buildings and risking there lifes in the process. Ask the people who were saved the other night I bet you they care along with their families.

You are either the biggest idiot in the world or just really uninformed. You can not "claim" to be a veteran. You have to serve in a war zone for over 90 days to recieve veterans status. And for a veteran to not "willingly do it" once again makes no sense, since they all signed up by their own doing. There hasn't been a draft in this country since the vietnam war. So maybe you should keep your piehole shut and get the facts straight before you make yourself look stupid again, OK?

It is not 90 days. It is 14 days in a combat zone. See below.

Eligibility

Veterans who are eligible meet one of the following categories:

1. World War II: September 16, 1940 - December 31, 1946; Korea: June 23, 1950-January 31, 1955; or Vietnam: December 31, 1960 - May 7, 1975. The active duty service during these three wars does not have to be "in country" or "in combat." Merchant Marines from World War II are eligible.

2. a veteran who served at least 14 days in a combat zone during any one of the following:

---- Lebanon Crisis: July 1, 1958-November 1, 1958

---- Lebanon peace keeping mission: September 26, 1982-December 1, 1987

---- Grenada peace keeping mission: October 23, 1983-November 21, 1983

---- Panama peace keeping mission: December 20, 1989-January 31, 1990

---- Persian Gulf-Operation Desert Shield/Storm: August 2, 1990-February 28, 1991

---- Somalia Operation Restore Hope: December 5, 1992-March 31, 1994

---- Operations Joint Endeavor and Joint Guard in the Republic of Bosnia or Herzegovina:November 20, 1995-June 20, 1998

---- Operation Uphold Democracy in Haiti: September 19, 1994 - March 31, 1995

---- Operation Enduring Freedom on or after September 11, 2001

---- Operation Iraqi Freedom: March 19, 2003 - present Combat zone qualification is most frequently indicated by the receipt of an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal.

3. a veteran with a service connected disability of at least 10 percent. The veteran must have received the disability during service in one of the wars or operations listed above, although the veteran need not meet either the 90 days of active duty requirement or 14 days in combat zone requirement. A service connected disability is indicated by federal Veterans Administration service connected compensation being received or entitlement to receive, a U.S. military

medical board finding or retirement from active military service with a disability rating of 10 percent or more. Current proof of disability is required.

You didn't save anyones life by running into a burning building. Just another embellished war story to try to impress the people. The landscaper did my property on Friday. Just did his job. The paperboy delivered my newspaper this morning. Just did his job. You stood at a distance and squirted water onto a building. Just did your job. Why do you feel you should get anymore recognition than these people? You just did the job you signed-on for, nothing more. Yet you feed your ego with an unjustified feeling of self importance because you are the great brave fireman. What a joke. Just shut up with your war stories, they fail to illicit any pity from anyone.

Guest Kung Foo

So sorry, me no understand Englich.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Fact Checker

It is not 90 days. It is 14 days in a combat zone. See below.

Eligibility

Veterans who are eligible meet one of the following categories:

1. World War II: September 16, 1940 - December 31, 1946; Korea: June 23, 1950-January 31, 1955; or Vietnam: December 31, 1960 - May 7, 1975. The active duty service during these three wars does not have to be "in country" or "in combat." Merchant Marines from World War II are eligible.

2. a veteran who served at least 14 days in a combat zone during any one of the following:

---- Lebanon Crisis: July 1, 1958-November 1, 1958

---- Lebanon peace keeping mission: September 26, 1982-December 1, 1987

---- Grenada peace keeping mission: October 23, 1983-November 21, 1983

---- Panama peace keeping mission: December 20, 1989-January 31, 1990

---- Persian Gulf-Operation Desert Shield/Storm: August 2, 1990-February 28, 1991

---- Somalia Operation Restore Hope: December 5, 1992-March 31, 1994

---- Operations Joint Endeavor and Joint Guard in the Republic of Bosnia or Herzegovina:November 20, 1995-June 20, 1998

---- Operation Uphold Democracy in Haiti: September 19, 1994 - March 31, 1995

---- Operation Enduring Freedom on or after September 11, 2001

---- Operation Iraqi Freedom: March 19, 2003 - present Combat zone qualification is most frequently indicated by the receipt of an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal.

3. a veteran with a service connected disability of at least 10 percent. The veteran must have received the disability during service in one of the wars or operations listed above, although the veteran need not meet either the 90 days of active duty requirement or 14 days in combat zone requirement. A service connected disability is indicated by federal Veterans Administration service connected compensation being received or entitlement to receive, a U.S. military

medical board finding or retirement from active military service with a disability rating of 10 percent or more. Current proof of disability is required.

Hey Doc! Good research. How lets do some more. What does a vet have to do to qualify for a combat action ribbon? When is a purple heart awarded to a service member? How many of these veterans were active duty or reserves? See these are questions you should have asked and attempted to get answers to. But since i feel that you and the other keyboard commandoes should know the answers, here you go. In order a veteran to recieve a combat action ribbon they had to involved in actual combat, not solely being in the region in question qualifies your for the ribbon. (11 of the veterans recieved combat action ribbons). Next, in order to be awarded a purple heart a service member must be injured in the line of fire or during combat evolutions. (4 of the veterans recieved purple hearts). Lastly, 8 of the 12 veterans were active duty military, the other 4 were active reservists. If you would like to call them "weekend warriors" please feel free to say it to their face. Doc i have read a few of your posts and i still cant get it. What is your issue? You call to support the fireman but are jealous of those that are on the job. You claim that you are 30+ years old and still waiting on civil service to ring your doorbell. If you would like to make a difference please stop you complaing and do something about it. Sitting at your keyboard listening to your scanner is not helping. Please get a life.

Hey Doc! Good research. How lets do some more. What does a vet have to do to qualify for a combat action ribbon? When is a purple heart awarded to a service member? How many of these veterans were active duty or reserves? See these are questions you should have asked and attempted to get answers to. But since i feel that you and the other keyboard commandoes should know the answers, here you go. In order a veteran to recieve a combat action ribbon they had to involved in actual combat, not solely being in the region in question qualifies your for the ribbon. (11 of the veterans recieved combat action ribbons). Next, in order to be awarded a purple heart a service member must be injured in the line of fire or during combat evolutions. (4 of the veterans recieved purple hearts). Lastly, 8 of the 12 veterans were active duty military, the other 4 were active reservists. If you would like to call them "weekend warriors" please feel free to say it to their face. Doc i have read a few of your posts and i still cant get it. What is your issue? You call to support the fireman but are jealous of those that are on the job. You claim that you are 30+ years old and still waiting on civil service to ring your doorbell. If you would like to make a difference please stop you complaing and do something about it. Sitting at your keyboard listening to your scanner is not helping. Please get a life.

All I did was correct someone who stated an incorrect fact about having to serve 90 days to receive veterans preference in a combat zone. I correctly pointed out that they had to serve 14. That is all.

I never claimed I was 30+ years old because I am under 30. I have respect for anyone who has served in the armed forces. I have a large military family myself. The only issue I have that is even related to veterans is with a State Law and not veterans themselves. I believe that veterans should receive bonus points (like 10) added onto civil service exams. Like the Federal Govt. and many other states do when they administer civil service type exams. There are very few states that does it the way NJ does by giving "absolute preference". I do believe veterans deserve preference just in a not so heavily weighed manor that the State Legislator has decided.

My only other problem with Civil Service is Towns have not been allowed due to lawsuits to enforce a residency requirement for hiring like Civil Service allows. Living in Newark allows you to get a high preference in Newark as well as getting listed in like 10 other towns (one being Kearny). While if you live in Kearny you can't compete with a Newark resident for a position in his/her town but they can in yours. That I believe is unfair.

I believe I said at one point the fact they were veterans should not play into a defense of why they should not be laid off. I believe once they got hired the defense should be the fact that no firefighter should be laid off. By saying over and over and over lets not lay off our veterans is an invalid argument. Imagine if Civil Service allowed their jobs to be protected so the 12 firefighters (who were nonveterans) above them in seniority instead got laid off. That would be an injustice.

I fully supported no firefighter layoffs but I thought focusing on the fact that they were veterans as a defense against layoffs was not related to the issue of layoffs so why bother using it as an argument.

In regards to me making a difference I ask you how you could you imply that you know I don't? Do you know who I am? Do you know what I do with my free time? I am very confident that I make a difference in the work I do in my spare time.

Its "Received" one time is an accident, every time means you need to do more "face checking"