Terminations are Good

Guest Guest

I think Mayor Santos has for the most part hit a home run by terminating fireman but not the cops. As the economy gets worse crime increses so the police should have been left alone and the amount of fireman terminated should have been doubled. Face facts, a fireman is a part-time job with full time pay and benefit packages ranging around 100K. Most of their time, I would guess in the high 90 percentile is spent sleeping, watching large screen TV, eating and suntanning on benches outside the firehouses. Volunteers could easily pick-up any terminations. I applaud the Honorable Mayor Santos for terminating these fireman jobs which consist mostly of underachievers who get their jobs thru nepotism and patronage. They are simply not needed. If Leadbetter wants to fight this sound fiscal decison making, get rid of him too. The fire depts. in Hudson County have had it too good for too long. Santos should also cut the firemans pay by 50% across the board because its a part-time job. Any clerk in an open all night convenience store and gas station faces more danger in one night of work than a fireman faces in 25 years. The Police cuts I feel were only made so the fireman wouldn't cry so much. Any town in America could do without a paid fire dept. but none could do without a paid Police Department. I can only hope that other towns in Hudson County follow the wisdom of the Honorable Mayor Santos of terminating these no work firemans jobs and sell off some of the property and equipyment to keep the out of control tax situation stable. GOOD JOB!!!

Guest Kpdpipes

I think Mayor Santos has for the most part hit a home run by terminating fireman but not the cops. As the economy gets worse crime increses so the police should have been left alone and the amount of fireman terminated should have been doubled. Face facts, a fireman is a part-time job with full time pay and benefit packages ranging around 100K. Most of their time, I would guess in the high 90 percentile is spent sleeping, watching large screen TV, eating and suntanning on benches outside the firehouses. Volunteers could easily pick-up any terminations. I applaud the Honorable Mayor Santos for terminating these fireman jobs which consist mostly of underachievers who get their jobs thru nepotism and patronage. They are simply not needed. If Leadbetter wants to fight this sound fiscal decison making, get rid of him too. The fire depts. in Hudson County have had it too good for too long. Santos should also cut the firemans pay by 50% across the board because its a part-time job. Any clerk in an open all night convenience store and gas station faces more danger in one night of work than a fireman faces in 25 years. The Police cuts I feel were only made so the fireman wouldn't cry so much. Any town in America could do without a paid fire dept. but none could do without a paid Police Department. I can only hope that other towns in Hudson County follow the wisdom of the Honorable Mayor Santos of terminating these no work firemans jobs and sell off some of the property and equipyment to keep the out of control tax situation stable. GOOD JOB!!!

You know, I have seen some True Stupidity posted on this board over the years since it's inception, and, conversely, some truly Inspiring things by people who care about their town. Now though, I have finally seen the absolute PINNACLE of the Stupidity. Considering the fact that Kearny couldn't get enough Volunteers to keep ONE Ambulance manned and ready 24/7, what makes you think there would be enough Volunteers to fight a fire? Every one of the Idiots here who bash the Fire Dept would be the first ones to whine and complain when it's THEIR house on fire, and there is nobody there to fight it, just as the same people whining about the PD are the first ones to Complain when it takes 2 hours for their BS service call to be answered because there are only 3 guys working on a shift because of Cuts. Simple fact is that BOTH departments are necessary. If you hate the Fire Dept? MOVE, Go somewhere where it is a Volunteer Dept, where you can sit on your butt and allow someone else to carry water for you, since I Highly doubt you would step up to Volunteer yourself.

As for this Blatant attempt by You and others here to try and foster some kind of Animosity between the departments, IT IS NOT WORKING. If you want the PD and FD to hate each other turn back the clock 20 years, because all of the guys who advocated that nonsense are Long Gone.

Guest FIRE FIGHTER

KPDPIPES,

I would like to say Thank You. Also there is NO reason to acknowledge this poster. We all know the truth. The best thing that could of happened would have been if NO ONE replied to his post and it just went down, down, down. KPD KFD keep up the good work! On the bright side the original post made me giggle a lil bit.

KDPPIPES, why are you such an angry man? Its obvious that you must drink heavily to go on a tirade like you did. How many of the KFD personnel live in Kearny? I would say not many, and when are you guys going to catch up with the rest of the world and submit to random hair follicle drug testing as a deterrent to drug use? Thats not an accusation, just an observation. If you are mad that one of your bunkmates got layed-off, too bad. The Honorable Mayor Santos will do what he has to do regardless of what you think. You are just another underachiever who thinks he's the big man on campus because he is a fireman. Think again, you certainly are not!

You have no clue what you are talking about. First off you should know Hudson County is the smallest county in NJ. For the smallest county in NJ I hate to tell you they also have the highest amount of fire calls then any other county. The geography of Hudson County prevents the majority of towns having anything else but a career department. The only two towns in Hudson County that have volunteers are East Newark and Secaucus. Now East Newark is lucky because of the size of the town, if it was bigger they also would have a paid department. A lot of it has to do with how close the buildings are to each other. Secaucus honestly is an anomaly and has been lucky enough to survive with an all volunteer department for so long. I actually have heard some rumors that they could become a paid department down the road.

You couldn't get enough volunteers to man a town with the amount of calls KFD gets. You would need like 200+ volunteers. And imagine a fire in South Kearny? No volunteers would live down there it would take a long time for any response you are talking like 12-20 minute potentially, that would be an extremely unsafe and nightmarish thought.

There has been no nepotism or patronage in the KFD for a long long time. Get your facts straight. Look at the hires since the early 90's. The facts are clear.

Any town in America could do without a paid fire dept.

What ignorance. Do I even have to type a reasonable response to this part? I think not, my fingers may just fall off. Any rational human being would not make such a post. I've already wasted enough time responding to this individual.

Guest Kpdpipes

KDPPIPES, why are you such an angry man? Its obvious that you must drink heavily to go on a tirade like you did. How many of the KFD personnel live in Kearny? I would say not many, and when are you guys going to catch up with the rest of the world and submit to random hair follicle drug testing as a deterrent to drug use? Thats not an accusation, just an observation. If you are mad that one of your bunkmates got layed-off, too bad. The Honorable Mayor Santos will do what he has to do regardless of what you think. You are just another underachiever who thinks he's the big man on campus because he is a fireman. Think again, you certainly are not!

Interesting, You cannot A: even copy my name correctly, and B: pick up that I'm a Police officer (Hint, the "PD" in my name doesnt stand for "Fire Department" Sonny) and yet I'M the one that supposedly has the Drinking Problem? Oh and for the record I JUST had my drug screening about a month ago, and since i'm still here, your fears on that front are unfounded. B) Thanks though for reinforcing my Stupidity point.

The mayor and council have made Demands, AND gave specific numbers that needed to be cut from the Budgets. The PD HAS MET OR EXCEEDED those Demands, and those offers have either been rejected or ignored. As far as I Know, the Fire Dept has ALSO made offers of concessions and givebacks also to be ignored.

You call 25 years at the fire department a career? I call it welfare. Its like going to a section 8 house twice a week to hang out with your friends, have a sleepover like kids, then go home. Where are all these fires you speak of? One person put in an article that the IFC, whatever that is, that the town of Harrison had somewhere between 250 - 300 fires in 2008 or 2009. WHERE? Their is not a building I can find that is fire damaged. To say that Hudson County has he most fires is because each individual town submits its own over-inflated numbers to the state and someone just compiles them into a report without ever checking if its true. If I lived in a 1 square mile town that has almost 300 fires a year, 3 cops per shift at times(which is true), and a failing but most expensive school system in the state I would not re-elect the Mayor that caused this to happen, but you did. Kearny is no better at fudging the number of fires to continue the paid fire department to exist. If Secaucus can do it, then any town in North Jersey could. Waste, waste, waste.

Guest 2smart4u

You call 25 years at the fire department a career? I call it welfare. Its like going to a section 8 house twice a week to hang out with your friends, have a sleepover like kids, then go home. Where are all these fires you speak of? One person put in an article that the IFC, whatever that is, that the town of Harrison had somewhere between 250 - 300 fires in 2008 or 2009. WHERE? Their is not a building I can find that is fire damaged. To say that Hudson County has he most fires is because each individual town submits its own over-inflated numbers to the state and someone just compiles them into a report without ever checking if its true. If I lived in a 1 square mile town that has almost 300 fires a year, 3 cops per shift at times(which is true), and a failing but most expensive school system in the state I would not re-elect the Mayor that caused this to happen, but you did. Kearny is no better at fudging the number of fires to continue the paid fire department to exist. If Secaucus can do it, then any town in North Jersey could. Waste, waste, waste.

Clean up in aisle 5 Bozo, grab your mop.

Guest Stop the B*S

First let me tell you that i love your post. It made me smile for the first time in weeks. The fact that you are so intelligent is remarkable,you know being that you are hiding behind a guest tag. If you had the facts you might have the b@lls to step up with your name. But seeing "Guest" just means that you are a keyboard jockey looking to spew your venom. Let me fill you in on something, get real close to the screen, maybe push your superman cape to the side. Do i have your attention?.... NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU THINK!!!!! Please continue to hide behind your "Guest" tag and never be recognized or respected within this community you feel so happy to tear apart. These layoffs are affecting alot more than the police and fire, have you spoken to those "over paid" (scarcasm) public works folks or the people who work at city hall. Because i can assure you that they are affected as well. You can point the finger all you want from that dark little corner in your basement or you can stand up like a man and put a name behind your coward a$$.