Money Wasted

Guest Truth

I'm still not sure why people insist on trying to create a divide between PD and FD. Both are essential services, and from what I've seen, they work well together. Do people really need to create turmoil to create some interest for their own lives.

Thank you to both the KFD and KPD, keep up the good work, and don't let the trouble makers get you down.

Guest 2smart4u

Unless you're trying to Insult someone you think is a cop...I see you Still haven't apologized for you ASSumption...and frankly After that little tirade i dont expect you to. It's guys like you that make the rest of us Conservatives look bad.

No, I don't think Fact Checker's a cop. I do think the hater quoting salaries is a cop, so no apologies here. You are right that most of the cops have a history with the FF's and are friends, but there are a few? of the newer guys that have negative views of the FD and spout their venom cowardly in the privacy of their bedrooms.

I missed the "tirade", you'll have to point it out to me.

Guest jus sayin

2 Smart How would you know what's being said in the privacy of other peoples bedrooms unless your in there with them?

Of course what you do in your own free time is none of my business.....

til you put it out there on the web.

Then it's just plain funny.

jus sayin

2 Smart How would you know what's being said in the privacy of other peoples bedrooms unless your in there with them?

Of course what you do in your own free time is none of my business.....

til you put it out there on the web.

Then it's just plain funny.

jus sayin

Jus sayin, your post is just plain dumb.

Guest jus sayin

"negative views of the FD and spout their venom cowardly in the privacy of their bedrooms"

I guess reading and comprehension just aren't your strong points, eh sweetie?

Jus sayin

"negative views of the FD and spout their venom cowardly in the privacy of their bedrooms"

I guess reading and comprehension just aren't your strong points, eh sweetie?

Jus sayin

Huh ?

Guest Kpdpipes

No, I don't think Fact Checker's a cop. I do think the hater quoting salaries is a cop, so no apologies here. You are right that most of the cops have a history with the FF's and are friends, but there are a few? of the newer guys that have negative views of the FD and spout their venom cowardly in the privacy of their bedrooms. I missed the "tirade", you'll have to point it out to me.

Much like you do??? Simple fact is that you are again ASSuming that that poster was a Police officer, with NOTHING to back it up. However, evne though on politics I agree with you most of the time...you've proven you're nothing but another jerkoff.

If I read the Mayor's comments in The Observer correctly, they are appealing an arbitration award to the Appellate Division?? I get that he wants to hold costs in check, and if he wanted to appeal once, okay, but how does he expect to get a different result? In my opinion, the higher you go with appeals, the higher your burden of proof, because appeal decisions are based on prior case law.

Or is this just ONE MORE EXAMPLE of him spending OUR money on his lawyer friends? Enough is enough mayor, you challenged it, okay, but we can no longer afford your endless legal bills. Unless you'd like to pay it out of your OWN pocket, then knock yourself out otherwise, it is time to control costs that you DO have control over; namely ill-advised litigation on OUR backs.

Guest 2smart4u

Much like you do??? Simple fact is that you are again ASSuming that that poster was a Police officer, with NOTHING to back it up. However, evne though on politics I agree with you most of the time...you've proven you're nothing but another jerkoff.

"another" jerkoff? You must be referring to the poster you claim is not an angry jealous cop.

Guest 2smart4u

"another" jerkoff? You must be referring to the poster you claim is not an angry jealous cop.

I work in the financial world, and why I do see 17% raise to the fire dept as a LOT in this economy, my real concern is with my mayor and business administrator. Every year the budget takes into consideration employees raises and other expenses that are a given. The fact that the town did not give the fire department the contract they asked for, does not exclude them from putting in the budget an average raise they would expect them to receive. The fact that over the past few years, the town had a surplus raises causes concern to me, when now the town says they need to cut services (Layoffs) to pay for the new contract awarded by the arbitrator.

Most of that money should have been in the previous years budgets. The fact that the town decided to not sign an agreement with one of its unions on salary, does not exclude it from the years budget. Was our mayor and BA using the budgeted money for the fire department salaries and calling it part of the surplus?

This is the problem in NJ , politicians put off hard decisions till after election year, so they can get keep their title. The fact that the Mayor and BA say they NOW have to come up with the money for the fire department , just shows how incompetent and moronic the two are. They new this day was coming, just like they knew the day would come again when they would have to start making their pension contributions to the state. Putting off payments on anything goes against sound financial planning. You don't use your credit card with the thought process of never paying it off. The town for years, has been running on the tax payers credit, and now the bill is due. So our fearless mayor and BA need to look to blame someone, so they blame the towns workers for their poor activities.

Gov. Christie has the right idea. The only difference between what he is doing now and what previous Gov. were doing, is he is pulling the covers off all the Mayor's schemes to appear to be balancing budgets. Previous administrations would go in line with the Mayors ways to keep the tax payer from realizing their money is just being wasted on foolish expenditures.

So in the end who pays? we the taxpayers pay, and the 16 town employees who will lose their jobs. And our incompetent mayor and Ba will keep their job and insane health care coverage for them and their families .

I work in the financial world, and why I do see 17% raise to the fire dept as a LOT in this economy, my real concern is with my mayor and business administrator. Every year the budget takes into consideration employees raises and other expenses that are a given. The fact that the town did not give the fire department the contract they asked for, does not exclude them from putting in the budget an average raise they would expect them to receive. The fact that over the past few years, the town had a surplus raises causes concern to me, when now the town says they need to cut services (Layoffs) to pay for the new contract awarded by the arbitrator.

Most of that money should have been in the previous years budgets. The fact that the town decided to not sign an agreement with one of its unions on salary, does not exclude it from the years budget. Was our mayor and BA using the budgeted money for the fire department salaries and calling it part of the surplus?

This is the problem in NJ , politicians put off hard decisions till after election year, so they can get keep their title. The fact that the Mayor and BA say they NOW have to come up with the money for the fire department , just shows how incompetent and moronic the two are. They new this day was coming, just like they knew the day would come again when they would have to start making their pension contributions to the state. Putting off payments on anything goes against sound financial planning. You don't use your credit card with the thought process of never paying it off. The town for years, has been running on the tax payers credit, and now the bill is due. So our fearless mayor and BA need to look to blame someone, so they blame the towns workers for their poor activities.

Gov. Christie has the right idea. The only difference between what he is doing now and what previous Gov. were doing, is he is pulling the covers off all the Mayor's schemes to appear to be balancing budgets. Previous administrations would go in line with the Mayors ways to keep the tax payer from realizing their money is just being wasted on foolish expenditures.

So in the end who pays? we the taxpayers pay, and the 16 town employees who will lose their jobs. And our incompetent mayor and Ba will keep their job and insane health care coverage for them and their families .

The BA who you should blame left for Paramus before the error was discovered. The current BA is dealing with the problem. Go to Paramus and complain to their BA who is pulling in a salary and a pension after doing a great job in Kearny. Maybe he can transfer some funds from Paramus to Kearny and the residents of Paramus won't notice until he leaves there to retire a second time.

Firefighters and police, join the crowd we are all unemployed or underemployed. I have no sympathy because my taxes are simply driving me crazy.

Firefighters and police help the citizens cut the biggest expenditure in town: The Board of Education. Protest down there where it really matters.

Guest Real World Guy

Let's see if I have this right. Biggest recession since the Great Depression. Foreclosures and unemployment skyrocket. Tax revenue is down. But police and firemen in Kearny want their salaries to keep going up? Not even the 3rd wealthiest man in America, Mayor Bloomberg, can solve that one! From today's wire:

By Jill Colvin

Reporter/Producer

MANHATTAN — Deep cuts announced by Mayor Michael Bloomberg on Thursday will slash $1.6 billion from the city's budget, with more to follow.

The budget reduction will eliminate 6,166 teaching positions, 350 civilian police positions, and 118 administrative and support staff at the Administration for Children’s Services will be laid off, as well as 129 at the Department of Finance.

Staff reductions will also impact nearly every other agency in the city, with a total reduction of 2,102 employees in the current fiscal year and 889 layoffs.

Because of the cuts, 9,000 fewer potholes will be filled, child care copayments will increase and police cars will stay on the road longer.

Full-time Parks Department staffers will have work only nine months of the year.

Fees will also be raised on permits for public tennis courts and baseball diamonds.

The FDNY will be hit hard by a new round of budget cuts by the city. The city will also eliminate funding for Mental Retardation and Developmental Disability clinical programs and two school-based health centers, and reduce cultural affairs subsidies by $8.8 million.

Libraries will lose $20 million in funding, reducing the average days of service by approximately one per week. Summer youth employment slots and school holiday programs will also be slashed.

The Department of Education will have its funding reduced by $350 million, although the mayor said that the plan did replace $853 million of expiring Federal stimulus funding with city money.

"We face a significant challenge for next year, as Federal stimulus dollars run dry and the city still suffers from the impacts of the national economic downturn," Bloomberg said in a statement announcing the November Financial Plan.

He also warned that more layoffs and cutbacks were on their way as the city struggled to close its budget gap.

"We simply cannot afford the size of our current workforce," he said.

In addition to the cuts, the mayor announced that agencies would be restricted by a hiring cap of one new hire for every two departures.

He also announced that higher than anticipated pension expenses would cost the city an additional $1 billion, and higher Medicaid costs would put it out by another $180 million.

Thursday's budget cuts come after a bruising round of cutbacks earlier this year to departments across the board.

Even after the new cuts, the city was facing a $2.4 billion gap, he said.

In September, Bloomberg ordered a partial hiring freeze and told city agency directors to shrink their budgets by 5.4 percent this year and 8 percent next year, with smaller cuts for the Department of Education and police and fire departments.

Guest dogdayareover

Let's see if I have this right. Biggest recession since the Great Depression. Foreclosures and unemployment skyrocket. Tax revenue is down. But police and firemen in Kearny want their salaries to keep going up? Not even the 3rd wealthiest man in America, Mayor Bloomberg, can solve that one! From today's wire:

The fire department's contract is retro active. The years they are getting the raises for , the town had a surplus. Millions of dollars in surplus. But the town wanted to waste money on lawyers and play hard ball, now they have to deal with the consequences of that action, which is having to lay off workers. The town could have easily given the fire department a contract during the good times, "which by the way , was last year" according to our town leaders. So don't give me the biggest recession speech. Must not have been that bad , if the town made 9 million last year. I love how the mayor and BA like to throw out there in the paper how , the problem is paying the pension benefits of the police and fire, and how its a huge part of the budget. They forget to leave out the part that they weren't paying it for years, and now the bill is due

Guest TeachABC

The BA who you should blame left for Paramus before the error was discovered. The current BA is dealing with the problem. Go to Paramus and complain to their BA who is pulling in a salary and a pension after doing a great job in Kearny. Maybe he can transfer some funds from Paramus to Kearny and the residents of Paramus won't notice until he leaves there to retire a second time.

Firefighters and police, join the crowd we are all unemployed or underemployed. I have no sympathy because my taxes are simply driving me crazy.

Firefighters and police help the citizens cut the biggest expenditure in town: The Board of Education. Protest down there where it really matters.

Interesting. Sounds like the current BA , is using his internet access to post on Kearny On the Web (roll eyes)

Guest Real World Guy

The fire department's contract is retro active. The years they are getting the raises for , the town had a surplus. Millions of dollars in surplus. But the town wanted to waste money on lawyers and play hard ball, now they have to deal with the consequences of that action, which is having to lay off workers. The town could have easily given the fire department a contract during the good times, "which by the way , was last year" according to our town leaders. So don't give me the biggest recession speech. Must not have been that bad , if the town made 9 million last year. I love how the mayor and BA like to throw out there in the paper how , the problem is paying the pension benefits of the police and fire, and how its a huge part of the budget. They forget to leave out the part that they weren't paying it for years, and now the bill is due

No one got laid off in 2010. It's 2011 when everything comes crashing, not only Kearny but throughout the State of New Jersey. Repeat: reduced State aid, reduced tax collections, higher police and fire salaries in 2011.

Interesting. Sounds like the current BA , is using his internet access to post on Kearny On the Web (roll eyes)

No. Just a Third warder making an observation. D'Arco knew the shit was going to hit the fan and retired. We should sue him for negligence and recover some of his money.

No. Just a Third warder making an observation. D'Arco knew the shit was going to hit the fan and retired. We should sue him for negligence and recover some of his money.

This is only partly true. D'Arco retired from KEARNY, and then took his pension and a new position (ironically doing the same job) to Paramus. Never mind the cops, fireman and teachers, these people that spend a couple of years in a position, retire with a pension, and then move on to other jobs is where the REAL money is at.

Usually, this is done with the complete knowledge and approval of our elected officials. (Not just Kearny, because if I lived in Paramus, I would have a huge problem with this type of hire as well.)

This is only partly true. D'Arco retired from KEARNY, and then took his pension and a new position (ironically doing the same job) to Paramus. Never mind the cops, fireman and teachers, these people that spend a couple of years in a position, retire with a pension, and then move on to other jobs is where the REAL money is at.

Usually, this is done with the complete knowledge and approval of our elected officials. (Not just Kearny, because if I lived in Paramus, I would have a huge problem with this type of hire as well.)

You hit on a huge problem with public pension systems that the Governor doesn't want to acknowledge because he will also benefit from it. As a teacher, I will receive one pension-that I have paid into for 28 years so far- regardless if I become an administrator, leave and go to another district (in NJ), change job titles, etc. That pension was vested after 10 years, but I can't begin to collect a full pension until a number of points are in place: I have to have worked for at least 25 years and I have to be at least 55 years old. (I can't collect now because although I've been teaching for 28 years - I'm not even 50 yet.) Once I start to collect that pension I cannot take another teaching job in NJ. I can work part time but I can only earn so much money before my pension is affected.

Government officials have an elected or appointed position for a limited number of years and are eligible to collect a pension based on that position. Then they are elected or appointed to a new position and they collect another pension based on that position. The governor will collect at least 2 (nice) pensions based upon his 1 term as governor (even if its 2 - that's 8 years) and another (nice) pension as State Prosecutor. That's the pension system that Mr. Christi needs to start investigating.

No one got laid off in 2010. It's 2011 when everything comes crashing, not only Kearny but throughout the State of New Jersey. Repeat: reduced State aid, reduced tax collections, higher police and fire salaries in 2011.

Reduced State Aid.. of course let's not bring up the fact that the 9 Million Dollar "Surplus" the town had, needed to be used to pay the money the TOWN OWED for the pensions. But hey, let's not Blame Santos and Company for running the town on BORROWED MONEY.

Reduced Tax Collections How So?? there aren't less Homes in Town...The again, the town HAS the opportunity to collect HUGE ratables..in South Kearny. But no, it's MUCH more intelligent to Ignore that section of town, and allow it to deteriorate to the point that what businesses there are, are leaving in Droves.

Higher Polcie and Fire Salaries. 1005 Correct. of course, once again If the Mayor and Council had Accepted the offers by BOTH UNIONS, there wouldnt BE an Increase, since both Police and Fire had offered to forego the 2011 Raises in order to save Jobs.

The FACTS are, the Mayor and Council have decided that they WANT TO REDUCE the Police and Fire Departments. They, and their little shills like yourself will do everything they can to blame the Employees, but it is the M&C's own Mismanagement to blame. They have collectively acted like sailors on leave, spending money, and Borrowing more to run the town, and Now that those bills are due, they'll blame everyone but themselves. The fire Dept will be reduced to the point where Everyone who is a taxpayer will be paying MUCH more in Homeowners Insurance, and the Police Dept will be reduced to the point that many of the non-essential services they now perform will have to stop. Barking Dog complaint?? Go to the Board of Health monday. Loud Party next door?? Go to the Municipal Court and make your complaint. Car accident, if there are no Injuries, Come to HQ to make your report. 16 years ago, everyone applauded the mayor at that time for cutting back on the Police and Fire departments...until the services slowed then they cried foul. Obviously the lessons of history are lost on THIS mayor and Council.

Guest Real World Guy

Reduced State Aid.. of course let's not bring up the fact that the 9 Million Dollar "Surplus" the town had, needed to be used to pay the money the TOWN OWED for the pensions. But hey, let's not Blame Santos and Company for running the town on BORROWED MONEY.

Reduced Tax Collections How So?? there aren't less Homes in Town...The again, the town HAS the opportunity to collect HUGE ratables..in South Kearny. But no, it's MUCH more intelligent to Ignore that section of town, and allow it to deteriorate to the point that what businesses there are, are leaving in Droves.

Higher Polcie and Fire Salaries. 1005 Correct. of course, once again If the Mayor and Council had Accepted the offers by BOTH UNIONS, there wouldnt BE an Increase, since both Police and Fire had offered to forego the 2011 Raises in order to save Jobs.

The FACTS are, the Mayor and Council have decided that they WANT TO REDUCE the Police and Fire Departments. They, and their little shills like yourself will do everything they can to blame the Employees, but it is the M&C's own Mismanagement to blame. They have collectively acted like sailors on leave, spending money, and Borrowing more to run the town, and Now that those bills are due, they'll blame everyone but themselves. The fire Dept will be reduced to the point where Everyone who is a taxpayer will be paying MUCH more in Homeowners Insurance, and the Police Dept will be reduced to the point that many of the non-essential services they now perform will have to stop. Barking Dog complaint?? Go to the Board of Health monday. Loud Party next door?? Go to the Municipal Court and make your complaint. Car accident, if there are no Injuries, Come to HQ to make your report. 16 years ago, everyone applauded the mayor at that time for cutting back on the Police and Fire departments...until the services slowed then they cried foul. Obviously the lessons of history are lost on THIS mayor and Council.

You still don't get the real world. There's a massive recession going on. Unemployment foreclosures. More residents not paying their taxes on time. More tax appeals. That means less tax revenue. Combine that with reduced state aid and there's a serious problem everywhere in NJ, not just Kearny.

As to the cost side, 80% of the budget is labor, most of it police and fire since they have the highest salaries and pensions.

I think you've reached the end of the line and you don't get it.

Why does the state continue to pay pensions for junkie fireman terminated for drug abuse and distribution? Why does the town continue to pay health benefits for these crackheads and their families at a direct cost to the taxpayers for life? Getting fired should mean getting fired, not getting rewarded for your disgusting, bad example junkie behavior!!