How much will property taxes go up?

Guest West Hudson Carville

All the open budget issues are now settled. There's been a determination on how much transitional aid (which used to be called distressed city aid) that Harrison will get for 2010 and how much of the redevelopment debt can be refinanced with a new refunding debt issue. What will the tax increase be for Harrison's homeowners?

First, get the numbers that the introduced budget used for transitional aid and refunded debt. Then adjust for the recently announced real numbers. How much does the amount to be raised by local taxation go up have to go up to make the difference? (Remember to back out the tax installments already billed.) What does that mean for the average homeowner?

I would think it's a startling number. Will Harrison do what Cory Booker did in Newark, which was to not adopt their budget and to keep their tax increase hidden until after re-election?

Harrison voters should have full disclosure before Election Day. If you have a copy of the introduced budget and the revised State numbers, do the calculations and post it here.

All the open budget issues are now settled. There's been a determination on how much transitional aid (which used to be called distressed city aid) that Harrison will get for 2010 and how much of the redevelopment debt can be refinanced with a new refunding debt issue. What will the tax increase be for Harrison's homeowners?

First, get the numbers that the introduced budget used for transitional aid and refunded debt. Then adjust for the recently announced real numbers. How much does the amount to be raised by local taxation go up have to go up to make the difference? (Remember to back out the tax installments already billed.) What does that mean for the average homeowner?

I would think it's a startling number. Will Harrison do what Cory Booker did in Newark, which was to not adopt their budget and to keep their tax increase hidden until after re-election?

Harrison voters should have full disclosure before Election Day. If you have a copy of the introduced budget and the revised State numbers, do the calculations and post it here.

We are not gonna get any information until after the election because the next council meeting is two days after election and it will probably be longer because Beth Higgins is gone. We need to get a forensic accountant in to see what kind of trouble we're really in.

We really can't afford some of these crazy salaries for people at town hall. And since Higgins is gone it's probably best to get all new faces on the council and get Ray out before they try to hide stuff. We should keep a couple of people who know where the bodies are buried. It's gonna be a mess no matter what.

We are not gonna get any information until after the election because the next council meeting is two days after election and it will probably be longer because Beth Higgins is gone. We need to get a forensic accountant in to see what kind of trouble we're really in.

We really can't afford some of these crazy salaries for people at town hall. And since Higgins is gone it's probably best to get all new faces on the council and get Ray out before they try to hide stuff. We should keep a couple of people who know where the bodies are buried. It's gonna be a mess no matter what.

No! Stop with the 'bodies are buried' attacks. Most voters don't respond to that kind of negative attack if the allegation is being made by another politician.

You have all the needed numbers. Plug them in and figure out what the final tax installment will be. My guess is that it's high. Voters will pay attention to that.

No! Stop with the 'bodies are buried' attacks. Most voters don't respond to that kind of negative attack if the allegation is being made by another politician.

You have all the needed numbers. Plug them in and figure out what the final tax installment will be. My guess is that it's high. Voters will pay attention to that.

What are you talking about Carville? The problem is no one knows what the numbers mean in the first place. Not Ray and not Jimmy. The town needs to get someone in who is not someone's kid to investigate and figure out what's what.

We are getting almost 4 million dollars less in aid money that we don't have to pay back. We are getting a loan to pay off one year of a 30 year loan. It sounds like, to me at least, that we will owe at least 6.2 million next year plus fees and interest on the new loan. The money owed for the land under the stadium isn't the only loan we have to pay back, plus we have to figure in all the expenses the town has to pay for just to operate.

What are you talking about Carville? The problem is no one knows what the numbers mean in the first place. Not Ray and not Jimmy. The town needs to get someone in who is not someone's kid to investigate and figure out what's what.

We are getting almost 4 million dollars less in aid money that we don't have to pay back. We are getting a loan to pay off one year of a 30 year loan. It sounds like, to me at least, that we will owe at least 6.2 million next year plus fees and interest on the new loan. The money owed for the land under the stadium isn't the only loan we have to pay back, plus we have to figure in all the expenses the town has to pay for just to operate.

James Carville was famous for the 1992 line, "It's the economy, stupid!" West Hudson Carville will go with the much kinder, "It's the budget, dude!"

Get your 2010 introduced budget. It's a public document. Look at the revenue numbers used for transitional aid and refunded debt proceeds in the budget document. Are those numbers higher than what was announced earlier this month? If yes, adjust those downward and then increase the Amount to be Raised by Municipal Taxation by a corresponding amount. How much of an increase is that? That's the increase the Harrisonian taxpayer will have to pay in their fourth installment.

Focus, focus!

James Carville was famous for the 1992 line, "It's the economy, stupid!" West Hudson Carville will go with the much kinder, "It's the budget, dude!"

Get your 2010 introduced budget. It's a public document. Look at the revenue numbers used for transitional aid and refunded debt proceeds in the budget document. Are those numbers higher than what was announced earlier this month? If yes, adjust those downward and then increase the Amount to be Raised by Municipal Taxation by a corresponding amount. How much of an increase is that? That's the increase the Harrisonian taxpayer will have to pay in their fourth installment.

Focus, focus!

Hey Carville, you are beginning to eerily sound like the Harrison Phantom of lore long ago.

But I thought he was forever gone.

I know Halloween Week is upon us, but dare I ask: has the Phantom return to our humble town???

Ah, Halloween is next Sunday. And then on that following Tuesday comes Election Day. Talk about the time of Pumpkin Heads and Witches!!!

Focus, focus!

You poeple do realize that hight taxes is not just in Harrison, but state wide. Look what Kearny pays. And you think we have it bad

Guest Kearny Guy

You poeple do realize that hight taxes is not just in Harrison, but state wide. Look what Kearny pays. And you think we have it bad

Yes, Harrison has it worse:

Harrison's water rate bills are twice Kearny's.

Kearny has no sewer fee.

Harrison's tax on the average home will be higher than Kearny's after election day.

Guest Number Cruncher

Focus, focus!

1. Harrison's transitional (distressed city) aid went down from $5.3 million in 2009 to 1.5 million this year.

2. The introduced town budget increases the tax levy from $12,437,620 to $15,501,875, a 24.6% increase.

Has the town billed out any of this increase so far this year?

Guest Scratching head

1. Harrison's transitional (distressed city) aid went down from $5.3 million in 2009 to 1.5 million this year.

2. The introduced town budget increases the tax levy from $12,437,620 to $15,501,875, a 24.6% increase.

Has the town billed out any of this increase so far this year?

Has any of it been billed in the first three tax installments? I can't tell whether it went up because of the town or because of the schools or the county.

If it hasn't been billed in the first three installments, then the last bill would have to double. I hope that's not right.

Has any of it been billed in the first three tax installments? I can't tell whether it went up because of the town or because of the schools or the county.

If it hasn't been billed in the first three installments, then the last bill would have to double. I hope that's not right.

The last one I remember hearing about was in June, I think, but I'm a renter so I don't know for sure. The last bill will DOUBLE? Sh*t no one can pay that!