School closed & early dismissals

Guest guest

Is anyone else disgusted about the ever growing list of partial school days and days off due to "teacher meetings", "teacher training", "teacher in-service" and, my favorite, the "NJ Teachers' COnvention"?? Are you kidding me? I have a lot of respect for teachers but when you get off at 3pm each day please explain why you can't have "training", "inservice" and "meetings" between 3-4pm?? Also, when you are already off for the entire summer as well as a LOT of holidays during the year, why can't the teachers' convention be held in July? People complain about the test scores, and there is talk of extending the school year so our kids can be competitive with others, but how about if they just go to school for the whole day during the school year without these constant interruptions?

Guest mrs.   crabtree

Is anyone else disgusted about the ever growing list of partial school days and days off due to "teacher meetings", "teacher training", "teacher in-service" and, my favorite, the "NJ Teachers' COnvention"?? Are you kidding me? I have a lot of respect for teachers but when you get off at 3pm each day please explain why you can't have "training", "inservice" and "meetings" between 3-4pm?? Also, when you are already off for the entire summer as well as a LOT of holidays during the year, why can't the teachers' convention be held in July? People complain about the test scores, and there is talk of extending the school year so our kids can be competitive with others, but how about if they just go to school for the whole day during the school year without these constant interruptions?

I think you feel very bad of yourself not becoming a teacher, and now your mad you are missing out on all the benifits of being one of us, so sorry........... loser

Guest Resident

How about "observing" Veterans' Day 8 days before it so they can have 4 days off the first week in November?

Guest Resident

I think you feel very bad of yourself not becoming a teacher, and now your mad you are missing out on all the benifits of being one of us, so sorry........... loser

Very intelligent post. I hope you're not teaching any of my kids.

Ignore this bitter person. I'm surprised he/she didn't manage to tie the McCormicks into this ignorant response. I absolutely agree with you and I have wondered about this for years. It is getting worst every year. Who is in charge of the scheduling & days off?

I think people are fed up with high taxes to pay your salary when you are not even doing your job...and to call someone a loser...How pathetic is that..The losers are the kids that have the likes of you teaching them....

Guest Joanne O'Brien

Aside from the ignorant “Mrs. Crabtree” response, and I don’t believe this is an actual teacher, or at least I hope it’s not, most teachers would agree with the original post, finding the in-service days very disruptive to the teaching process.

I haven’t always been a teacher: I came to teaching late from the corporate world, but I do find it strange that as a profession they treat professionals no better than the students. We teachers find ourselves at the whims of administrators and boards who have their own agendas. We don’t have a say in the scheduling of in-service days, nor do we have a say in the speakers or seminars that are booked. Some have been a total waste of time. Our curriculum is often dictated by administrators and boards, as is the onerous and ever growing amount of paperwork that has nothing to do with actually teaching your children. For dedicated teachers, the day does not end at 3pm.

I would love to skip in-services completely and have worthwhile seminars, symposiums and classes of my own choosing counted towards my professional improvement hours (a requirement in New Jersey). Unfortunately, only sanctioned classes count. I would love for the Annual Teachers Conference to be held before the start of the school year; it would be a great way to kick-off the year.

So I would suggest you attend Board of Education meetings and voice your concerns. I would tell the BOE as well as the Superintendent that you expect them to work on your behalf. The next meeting of the Harrison BOE has been rescheduled from October 14 to Thursday October 28th. I hope to see you there.

Parents, you have the power to demand the change. We work for you.

Thank you for such a thoughtful response. Unfortunately most parents don't go to the Board meetings because they are rightfully concerned that by speaking out there will be repercussions for their children. Same reason a lot of the parents who are supporting the Independents for Change do not have the signs up. Don't want it to be used against the kids. How sad.

SOMEBODY is clearly off their meds again.

Thank you for such a thoughtful response. Unfortunately most parents don't go to the Board meetings because they are rightfully concerned that by speaking out there will be repercussions for their children. Same reason a lot of the parents who are supporting the Independents for Change do not have the signs up. Don't want it to be used against the kids. How sad.

You hit the nail right on the head.

"Benifits"???? Don't disgrace the teachers like that!!!!! Are you sure?? TEACHER???? hopefully not an ENGLISH teacher....idiot!!!!!

Guest Joanne O'Brien

I know it seems counter-intuitive, but the more forceful you are in protecting your child's interests the harder it is for them to take things out on the children. To be loud and organized is the only way to fight institutional bullying and discrimination; I know because my child also went through the district.

That being said, the best way to change things is to vote column F. "Why?" - because all the candidates have or had children educated in Harrison Public Schools and understand the need to have a Board of Education that represents the children, the parents and the taxpayer.

As long as the Mayor's wife is the Director of Guidance, as long as the President of the Town Council is also the Superintendent of Schools, as long as the Mayor appoints the Board, as long as Board members are related to administrators, council representatives, school and municipal employees, nothing will change. The only way to guarantee change is to tear the stranglehold of concentrated power from the necks of the taxpayers by voting in fresh faces with fresh perspectives.