Layoffs in Kearny

Guest Concerned Citizen

Guest this just in
Heard a bunch of Cops & Firemen are getting demoted & layed off.

The number is 5 layoffs. What's the total manpower in police and fire houses?

Guest Guest

With the amount of taxes I pay in Kearny, we should be able to not only keep our current fire and police but hire even more. How do the other cities in Hudson County, which are about our size, have larger departments and lower taxes?? Sounds like poor planning to me.

What is the mayor and town council saying? Let me guess, they are passing the blame to the governor. Before that it was president Bush. At some point, they have to look at themselves as being the problem. But my stupid neighbors continue to vote in the same people who do nothing to change how things are run in Kearny.

Guest Guest

again, what needs to be done is cut the upper "echelon" out, the trimming should start there. Do not layoff patrolmen and firefighters, trim fat from the top, and u will become leaner.

Guest concerned taxpayer
The number is 5 layoffs. What's the total manpower in police and fire houses?

The manpower is SHORT! Not enough to handle a large incident without calling out for help and hoping they arent shorthanded as well. Lets all pray the town council is eating their wheaties and are ready to chase some criminals and run into burning buidings. Town Council meeting tomorrow night at the high school voice your opinion.

Guest Guest

People would be enraged if they found out how many cars were patrolling the streets over night and in the morning hours. Most of the cops work during the afternoon. Take away 5 more cops and the department goes from a proactive one to a reactive one over night. Police will just respond to calls they are sent to instead of actively seeking out criminals. If people want the police department to be one of the departments who basically only take reports then so be it. As of right now, all the major crimes that happen in Kearny gets solved one way or the other.

Guest Guest
People would be enraged if they found out how many cars were patrolling the streets over night and in the morning hours. Most of the cops work during the afternoon. Take away 5 more cops and the department goes from a proactive one to a reactive one over night. Police will just respond to calls they are sent to instead of actively seeking out criminals. If people want the police department to be one of the departments who basically only take reports then so be it. As of right now, all the major crimes that happen in Kearny gets solved one way or the other.

"Most of the cops work during the afternoon"? It's within the chief's authority to assign manpower according to needs, let's let the chief decide when and where to assign his people.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sheriff Taylor
With the amount of taxes I pay in Kearny, we should be able to not only keep our current fire and police but hire even more. How do the other cities in Hudson County, which are about our size, have larger departments and lower taxes?? Sounds like poor planning to me.

What is the mayor and town council saying? Let me guess, they are passing the blame to the governor. Before that it was president Bush. At some point, they have to look at themselves as being the problem. But my stupid neighbors continue to vote in the same people who do nothing to change how things are run in Kearny.

Maybe the other towns don't have the nepotism in their school system.

Over 50% of your taxes go to the BOA