Should the high school football field be named for Kevin Gilmore?

Guest downwithfedres

Guest downwithfedres

On Nov.14th,it will be 40 years since the Marshall University plane crash killed all aboard,including former Harrison High star,Kevin Gilmore.The aftermath of the crash was made into the movie:"We Are Marshall",a hit in 2006.

Other schools in the area-notably Lyndhurst-have noted their former players killed on the crash.Why can't Harrison go them one better,especially because his body could not be indentified and is buried along with five others on the plane in a mass grave in West Virginia.(In all likelihood,modern DNA could be used to make the identification today,but for reasons undisclosed it has not been done).

Some may say that the field should be named in honor of our solitary NFL player,Ray Lucas,or for our lone NFL draftee,Ed Tuck,but I feel confident that neither player would object.

Had he lived,Kevin may have caught on in the NFL as one of those everyman type players.We'll never know.

A little known fact told to me by a very close friend of Kevin's:He was probably star crossed regardless of his major college choice for his only other Division 1 offer came from Wichita State,a school which also had a crash in 1970,losing many of its players as well.

The time has come.

Guest Guest
On Nov.14th,it will be 40 years since the Marshall University plane crash killed all aboard,including former Harrison High star,Kevin Gilmore.The aftermath of the crash was made into the movie:"We Are Marshall",a hit in 2006.

Other schools in the area-notably Lyndhurst-have noted their former players killed on the crash.Why can't Harrison go them one better,especially because his body could not be indentified and is buried along with five others on the plane in a mass grave in West Virginia.(In all likelihood,modern DNA could be used to make the identification today,but for reasons undisclosed it has not been done).

Some may say that the field should be named in honor of our solitary NFL player,Ray Lucas,or for our lone NFL draftee,Ed Tuck,but I feel confident that neither player would object.

Had he lived,Kevin may have caught on in the NFL as one of those everyman type players.We'll never know.

A little known fact told to me by a very close friend of Kevin's:He was probably star crossed regardless of his major college choice for his only other Division 1 offer came from Wichita State,a school which also had a crash in 1970,losing many of its players as well.

The time has come.

Should have been named after Kevin Gilmore 40 years ago! (Should have been Kennedy Stadium, with the field named after Kevin Gilmore) If I was a family member of Kevins and the Town approached me now about it, I would tell them to shove it! Was a disgrace then and still is today for not even considering naming the new field after this man. The Mayor then (if he was alive) as well as this goof should hang their heads in shame!!!! Such an easy way to make themselves look good and they can't even do that right. A message to all the Gilmores, if they come to you and ask, tell them "Where were you for 40 years!" DO NOT ALLOW IT! I played football for HHS and man what an honor that would have been to play on that field with Kevins name on it. Damn shame!!!!!

Guest Guest

The time has come.

While any of the three would be a good choice, I think it would be more appropriate to name it in honor of Dr. Stanley J. Siwek, MD. He was probably the most dedicated and longest serving school physician in the history of the town and the school system. I remember him attending every home and away game of the football team, even though he was only required to attend the home games. When asked why he simply stated "what if two players get hurt in the same play, even though the home teams physician is supposed to help each he may go to their player first even though Harrison's is hurt worse" that's why I come to all games. He was the finest and most thorough physician in this town and he deeply cared about each and every child irregardless of who they were.

Guest Guest

The time has come.

This is a matter NOT for the Mayor and Council to decide but for the Board of Education. And in that regard, Superintendent Doran would be instrumental here.

Personally, I would be in favor of naming it after Gilmore; my second choice being Siwek. I'm just opposed to any building or parcel of property being named after someone who is still living. My personal bias, I guess.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest
dead people are still warm in Harrison and they name streets after them...........give the stadium Kevins name

That street wouldn't even be here, or the stadium that goes with it without that "warm dead person" that you so disrespectfully refer to. You just lost me in your quest. You're pathetic and sickening!

Guest guest
This is a matter NOT for the Mayor and Council to decide but for the Board of Education. And in that regard, Superintendent Doran would be instrumental here.

Personally, I would be in favor of naming it after Gilmore; my second choice being Siwek. I'm just opposed to any building or parcel of property being named after someone who is still living. My personal bias, I guess.

Siwek has handled more balls than any athlete on the field. He deserves at least a section of the stadium

named after him.

Guest guest

Siwek handled more balls than any player on the field. He should at least have a section of the stadium

named after him.

Guest annoyed

I think all this BS about naming a field after someone is rediculous, more important things to consider today, direct your energies to something of more importance and meaning to our town today.......

Guest Guest
Siwek handled more balls than any player on the field. He should at least have a section of the stadium

named after him.

If not the whole stadium, he is by far the best and most knowledgable Doctor I ever went to and extremely difficult, if not impossible to replace. While my current physician is good he treats one thing and sends me to two other doctors, Dr. Siwek would treat all three things and ask how the rest of your family was. I am glad he's still doing good in Florida, he'll be 93 in August and only retired 5 years ago because of his heart attack and by-pass surgery. I miss him so much, he was the best to me and my entire family and all the atheletes and school children in the town, ask anyone! Not many can hold a candle to this giant of a man!

Guest Guest
I think all this BS about naming a field after someone is rediculous, more important things to consider today, direct your energies to something of more importance and meaning to our town today.......

Be realistic, there are some things that may be able to be changed and some that.... forget it you'll never understand if you don't now...

Guest Guest
Be realistic, there are some things that may be able to be changed and some that.... forget it you'll never understand if you don't now...

F**k the name of the stadium and worry about our town and what is going on in the government here! Our taxes keep going up every year and the town is going down fast every year. We have to get these current people out who are ruining this town and our pocket books by giving high salaries and tax abatements and we are paying for everything. The redevelopment has come to a hault. There is no more building on the river. The people that baought there are very unhappy. It was built very cheaply and they do not like it. It cost a fortune to heat because of the poor insulation and cheap windows. Very drafty from the river. The redevelopment has been a bomb. The stadium has only cost us money. They are not paying any taxes and the people are tail gating all over town and leaving thier garbage for us to clean up. Just what we need, more trash! We have to vote this mayor out. He has done nothing to help out town but ruin it and make it almost too expensive to live here. Vote the fat guy out!

• 10 years later...
Guest Guest guy, i guess...

I played Football, Basketball, and Baseball for 3 years for Harrison high. Growing up in the late 70's as a kid then i went to high school from 82-86. Harrison was a great town to grow up and play sports for. As a former athlete and 30 year town resident i have no qualms nor should any other Harrison resident who knows the town, it's people, and the pride we had as residents and the honor we shared as athletes. Miss my old town. Not this new version. Blue Tide baby !!!