Why isn't the high school track open?

Guest downwithfedres

Guest downwithfedres

The only place for adults to get some exercise in town is presently at Gunnell Oval.Why couldn't the high school track be open in the summer,at least during the daylight hours.The gates were open in the 70's and 80's.Was there an insurmountable problem that resulted in their being closed after that time?

Guest Guest

I know they worry about damage to the track, but I'm not sure if that's the reason. They used to have field personnel there, I don't know if they're still there. Obviously, during normal hours, they could watch over the track, but again don't know if they still maintain those positions.

Guest Guest
I know they worry about damage to the track, but I'm not sure if that's the reason. They used to have field personnel there, I don't know if they're still there. Obviously, during normal hours, they could watch over the track, but again don't know if they still maintain those positions.

I'm with ya! I know the track team, soccer & football teams use the track for practice and during the day the gym classes use it, but I wish it were open early in the morning & after the students are finished practicing!

Guest Guest

I would love to see the track open for public use, as well as the school gyms, etc. The problem is that (I'm not accusing the OP, but) everyone wants school and municipal budgets slashed. The public doesn't want to pay for services but they still expect to have everything. Let's take a quick look at the minimal costs:

1. security person @ the track/field (1 really wouldn't be enough if partying teens moved in) approximately $10-$15/hr (I'm making this up - probably more if it is over=time)

2. open gyms @ HS & elementary schools - you have to have a custodian on duty and again, security to supervise the people who don't take responsibility for themselves or their children.

3. the added up-keep and maintenance of these facilities. It's much cheaper to lock the doors/gates and not worry about repairs and replacements.

Guest downwithfedres
I would love to see the track open for public use, as well as the school gyms, etc. The problem is that (I'm not accusing the OP, but) everyone wants school and municipal budgets slashed. The public doesn't want to pay for services but they still expect to have everything. Let's take a quick look at the minimal costs:

1. security person @ the track/field (1 really wouldn't be enough if partying teens moved in) approximately $10-$15/hr (I'm making this up - probably more if it is over=time)

2. open gyms @ HS & elementary schools - you have to have a custodian on duty and again, security to supervise the people who don't take responsibility for themselves or their children.

3. the added up-keep and maintenance of these facilities. It's much cheaper to lock the doors/gates and not worry about repairs and replacements.

There was no security in the 70's and 80's.Have the demographics changed to the extent that vandalism is clearly more of a possibility?

Guest Guest
There was no security in the 70's and 80's.Have the demographics changed to the extent that vandalism is clearly more of a possibility?

Demographics, I don't know. But I do know that the world is a much different place since the 70s and 80s. I don't even mean just vandalism - just improper use of the materials is enough of a problem that will cause damage. When I used to walk the track in the evenings, there were adults walking at the same time smoking cigarettes as they walked. Tossing those cigarettes absent mindedly onto the track surface will cause damage to it. Not intended, but damage anyway. I'm talking about "innocent" problems not intended destruction of the facilities because if vandals want to destroy, a fence and security isn't going to stop them.

Guest jus sayin'

Good question, Tryon Field in Rutherford off of Union Ave. is open at all times, The track and the field are identical to KHS in that they are both modern synthetic fields so they too are at risk to damage.

Jus Sayin'