Firehouse on Davis Ave. Shutdown?

Guest Concerned Citizen

Guest Guest
I agree. I wrote to the mayor and council about this. Only heard back from the mayor but I did get a nice reponse. I encourage more residents to write in about this matter. Not only that if you are from this town you are going to care more about it. I once heard one firefighter say "I would not step in Kearny for 2 minutes unless they are paying me." This is one of the guys who are protecting our town? Understand this is a newer guy highered from out of town, not an older guy who was a resident and moved out of town, I doubt any of them would think of such a thing nevermind say it.

North Hudson recently used some new case law fought the NCAAP in court and won back their right to hire only residents, why can't we?

Because North Hudson's Departmental demographics are on par with the Pouplation. Simple fact is KFD has TWO Minorities, out of over 100 people total....One of which, if not BOTH I think, are on the block for layoffs in January. Should Kearny attempt to go to court to get the Prohibition on residency requirements lifted, it would cause even more problems.

Because North Hudson's Departmental demographics are on par with the Pouplation. Simple fact is KFD has TWO Minorities, out of over 100 people total....One of which, if not BOTH I think, are on the block for layoffs in January. Should Kearny attempt to go to court to get the Prohibition on residency requirements lifted, it would cause even more problems.

Not true. Back in 1990 when the case first started the % of African American's living in Kearny was 1%. The lawsuit the NCAAP brought against and argued for was specific in the fact the Kearny was not hiring enough African Americans. Had nothing to do with other minorities. They argued essentially that Kearny was an economic extension of Newark which had a higher African American population and needed to expand it's list to higher more African Americans.

The lawsuit that was brought against North Hudson was again specific saying they needed to expand because they weren't hiring enough African American's.

Both lawsuits didn't have to do with the general minority demographic perspective. Go read the case law on both matters. I did before I commented. (Maybe you did but you didn't understand it fully)

It's unfair that Kearny residents have to compete against all of Hudson/Essex county (which includes Newark residents) for KFD while Newark residents don't need to worry about competing against Kearny residents as they can't be hired for Newark FD. This is a double standard which I do not agree with.

Guest Guest

Before we discuss your FACTS about the makeup of the KFD, what is your definition of minority? There are more than two; which renders your "simple fact" inaccurate at best.

Guest Enough Already

You can thank councilwoman Doyle for notifying NAACP about ouir hiring procedures. All FIRE and POLICE should have to live in the town they work for at least the first 3 years of service. Newark Fire and Police must be a resident to become a Policeman or Fireman.

Guest concerned taxpayer

You are correct that 2 out of the 5 firefighters up for layoffs are minorities, but here are some other facts for you. All 5 firefighters are military veterans that served during Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom, one of them is also the first female in the history of kearny fire and not to forget that all were hired within the last few months even though the town was planning on reducing the ranks. To touch on the subject of having residency requirements, kearny had to open the books to nonresidents not only because of NAACP but also because of the lack of Kearny residents taking the police and fire exams. So removing the residency requirement wont solve your concern for the "out of towners" protecting your town. You know the ones that served their country, took the state exam and completed the required training so that you can complain about them.

You are correct that 2 out of the 5 firefighters up for layoffs are minorities, but here are some other facts for you. All 5 firefighters are military veterans that served during Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom, one of them is also the first female in the history of kearny fire and not to forget that all were hired within the last few months even though the town was planning on reducing the ranks. To touch on the subject of having residency requirements, kearny had to open the books to nonresidents not only because of NAACP but also because of the lack of Kearny residents taking the police and fire exams. So removing the residency requirement wont solve your concern for the "out of towners" protecting your town. You know the ones that served their country, took the state exam and completed the required training so that you can complain about them.

Kearny just hired 5 firefighters. None of them was a female so she wouldn't be up to be laid off unless of course one (or some) of the recent 5 hires had a grevience against the town and got their senority upped. I didn't hear about this nor am I sure if it would even be made public but I do know things like that happen from time to time.

Kearny did not have to open the books because lack of Kearny residents taking the polic and fire exams it was soley because of a settlement between the Town and the NCAAP. And to further that if say not enough Kearny residents took the test that woudln't prevent the town from hiring outside the town. Once a residential list is exhausted the town would have the right to goto a county list. So I don't see how this would be an issue still to give residents preference. I believe it should be in this order: Kearny Residents w/ Military Vet Status, then Kearny Residents, Then Hudson County residents, Then State List. (That would comply with Civil Service requirments if the town adopted that as an ordinance)

You touch a state wide preference which I also believe nees to be adjusted. Absolute Military Preference. Currently in NJ if you have service in a combat zone you get Absolute hiring preference meaning all you do is have to pass the test and you get placed on the top. Most states (and the federal government for that matter) award bonus points. I believe its unfair if I get say a 99% on the state exam and a military vet gets a 70% they automatically go higher. Yes they served their country proudly and so I believe they deserve some extra credit for that but not absolute.

My biggest beef though is with the double standard. That a Newark Resident can compete equally for a job in my town with me but I can not compete equally with them for a job in thier town. Explain that one to me?

I am willing and able to serve my town (and state) as a career firefighter and its just unfair that I don't have an equal chance as others on the list.

Guest concerned taxpayer
Kearny just hired 5 firefighters. None of them was a female so she wouldn't be up to be laid off unless of course one (or some) of the recent 5 hires had a grevience against the town and got their senority upped. I didn't hear about this nor am I sure if it would even be made public but I do know things like that happen from time to time.

Kearny did not have to open the books because lack of Kearny residents taking the polic and fire exams it was soley because of a settlement between the Town and the NCAAP. And to further that if say not enough Kearny residents took the test that woudln't prevent the town from hiring outside the town. Once a residential list is exhausted the town would have the right to goto a county list. So I don't see how this would be an issue still to give residents preference. I believe it should be in this order: Kearny Residents w/ Military Vet Status, then Kearny Residents, Then Hudson County residents, Then State List. (That would comply with Civil Service requirments if the town adopted that as an ordinance)

You touch a state wide preference which I also believe nees to be adjusted. Absolute Military Preference. Currently in NJ if you have service in a combat zone you get Absolute hiring preference meaning all you do is have to pass the test and you get placed on the top. Most states (and the federal government for that matter) award bonus points. I believe its unfair if I get say a 99% on the state exam and a military vet gets a 70% they automatically go higher. Yes they served their country proudly and so I believe they deserve some extra credit for that but not absolute.

My biggest beef though is with the double standard. That a Newark Resident can compete equally for a job in my town with me but I can not compete equally with them for a job in thier town. Explain that one to me?

I am willing and able to serve my town (and state) as a career firefighter and its just unfair that I don't have an equal chance as others on the list.

You did your homework. Good for you. Yes the female firefighter was not hired in this last group of five, she was hired right before them. Yes she is on the block to be layed off because of an appeal won by another firefighter.

To touch on your response about the residency issue. As a taxpayer of course i would love to see more locals kids making the departments. However are they the most qualified? I have looked at the last 2 police and fire exams(open records act) for kearny and suprisingly enough less than 10% of those that tested are from the town of kearny and the average score was 7 points below the average test taker. Actually higher on the police test. And almost every police and fire that was hired in the last 3 years have all been military veterans. The taxpayers should feel proud that people from outside the community are willing to protect them. You should spend less time complaining about poor me and do something to get on the civil service list. Like i dont know, maybe study and take the test.

Guest concerned taxpayer
You can thank councilwoman Doyle for notifying NAACP about ouir hiring procedures. All FIRE and POLICE should have to live in the town they work for at least the first 3 years of service. Newark Fire and Police must be a resident to become a Policeman or Fireman.

Where can i line up and thank the wonderful council woman for her extrodinary work ensuring kearny and the residents are protected. Looking at the recent meeting I thought her head was going to snap off her neck like a bobble head doll.

You did your homework. Good for you. Yes the female firefighter was not hired in this last group of five, she was hired right before them. Yes she is on the block to be layed off because of an appeal won by another firefighter.

To touch on your response about the residency issue. As a taxpayer of course i would love to see more locals kids making the departments. However are they the most qualified? I have looked at the last 2 police and fire exams(open records act) for kearny and suprisingly enough less than 10% of those that tested are from the town of kearny and the average score was 7 points below the average test taker. Actually higher on the police test. And almost every police and fire that was hired in the last 3 years have all been military veterans. The taxpayers should feel proud that people from outside the community are willing to protect them. You should spend less time complaining about poor me and do something to get on the civil service list. Like i dont know, maybe study and take the test.

Thanks, I try not to post ignorant things.

As a Kearny home owner/tax payer I to would love to see more residents hired. I for one just signed up for the most recent Fire Exam that should text in the late 2010/ early 2011. All I am saying and have been saying I am extremely disappointed with the unequal advantage other residents (mostly Newark) have to get a fire department job in this state. Being a Newark Resident allows you to be put on the top of the list for Newark and have an equal shot in Kearny and about 8 other towns. If you are a resident in Kearny or those other 8 or so towns for that matter you have no shot to compete against that individual in Newark for a job with their Fire Department. All I am saying is it seems to me an unfair advantage.

For me to have a better shot to get hired by a fire department I should sell my house in Kearny (where I have lived my whole life) and move to Newark. To me it sounds like "Residential Discrimination". I am discriminated against by hiring practices in the state of NJ because of where I live.

I know I could do the job and I know I could do it well!