Firehouse on Davis Ave. Shutdown?

Guest Concerned Citizen

Guest Guest
It has been closed. It was only a backup firehouse to the South Kearny firehouse anyway.

Where do you get your info from? That couldnt be the furthest thing from the truth. They are the busiest company in town.

Guest Jus Sayin'

Yes one of and many years THE Busiest.

The signs? Don't believe everything you read.

If you are slightly concerned that Station 1 may not reopen.

You should be more than slightly concerned.

A lot more.

Jus Sayin'

Guest Guest
i heard the mattresses were not up to code where the men couldnt get their 24 hours of sleep

Awwww sounds like Someone couldnt pass the test.... Jealous much peaches??? Let me guess, you hate the Cops too, right??

Guest GUEST
Awwww sounds like Someone couldnt pass the test.... Jealous much peaches??? Let me guess, you hate the Cops too, right??

I HEAR THEY ARE WAITING FOR THE NEW VIKING STOVE AND GRANITE KITCHEN COUNTERS TO BE SHIPPED IN BEFORE THE REPAIRS BEGIN

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest
I HEAR THEY ARE WAITING FOR THE NEW VIKING STOVE AND GRANITE KITCHEN COUNTERS TO BE SHIPPED IN BEFORE THE REPAIRS BEGIN

They wanted to hire you as the cook but your Burger King contract was to lucrative!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Concern Citizen
DONT SEE A WHOLE LOTTA "REPAIRS" GOING ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like some repairs are underway! Thank God the houses in that area are so close to each other! The town needs to get that truck in there asap!

• 1 month later...
Guest concerned

news out of closed door council meeting is that the doors on Davis Ave firehouse will be closed for good. Town is laying off 5 firefighters and closing an engine company. How safe do you feel without a fire company in your district. Contact your council member and ask them if they are going to run into your home when it is burning.

Guest truth
news out of closed door council meeting is that the doors on Davis Ave firehouse will be closed for good. Town is laying off 5 firefighters and closing an engine company. How safe do you feel without a fire company in your district. Contact your council member and ask them if they are going to run into your home when it is burning.

Unfortunately this is absolutely true. Engine Company 1 on Davis Ave will be shut down for good if the layoffs happen. The uptown West Hudson area will be left with 3 pumpers and 2 ladders between the layoffs in Kearny and the reduction in man power in Harrison. The two already understaffed departments are being reduced dramatically. If you do not feel safe contact your Mayor and Council and let them know how you feel.

Guest Guest

5 layoffs on the Police Department as well...... WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT "SURPLUS" you were Bragging about Mr Mayor????????

Unfortunately this is absolutely true. Engine Company 1 on Davis Ave will be shut down for good if the layoffs happen. The uptown West Hudson area will be left with 3 pumpers and 2 ladders between the layoffs in Kearny and the reduction in man power in Harrison. The two already understaffed departments are being reduced dramatically. If you do not feel safe contact your Mayor and Council and let them know how you feel.

I'll believe this when I see it. And when you refer to the "uptown West Hudson area" only having 3 pumpers and 2 ladders you quickly ignored East Newark. Yes they are volunteers but they always have 2 more engines and a ladder in service within 5 minutes. Nevermind the fact that their first engine is usually out the door in about 2 minutes of a call.

I do not want to see my paid fire department here in Kearny reduced in anyway. We need they as they provide an extremly important service to our town. Kearny has one of the most respected and well trained fire departments in the area and we should be proud of that.

Just lets not ignore things because we want to make the situation sound more dire then it is. Alright?

Guest Guest
I'll believe this when I see it. And when you refer to the "uptown West Hudson area" only having 3 pumpers and 2 ladders you quickly ignored East Newark. Yes they are volunteers but they always have 2 more engines and a ladder in service within 5 minutes. Nevermind the fact that their first engine is usually out the door in about 2 minutes of a call.

I do not want to see my paid fire department here in Kearny reduced in anyway. We need they as they provide an extremly important service to our town. Kearny has one of the most respected and well trained fire departments in the area and we should be proud of that.

Just lets not ignore things because we want to make the situation sound more dire then it is. Alright?

Guest concerned taxpayer
Yea a big help EN is. They do a great job of putting of standing outside being spectators.

not to taking anything away from East Newark they are a great asset to the region. However you cant ignore the fact that they are a vol company and are unable to provide the number of qualified firefighters on a routine basis that a paid dept can. If one vol engine driver doesnt show up the engine doesnt leave the house. what service is that providing? As it is Kearny has to respond to every call that either Harrison or East Newark go out on because they understand they wouldnt be able to handle a fire with their manning. Engine Co 1 and Engine Co 2 have been to more fire protecting not only Kearny taxpayers but Harrionson, East Newark, Belleville, Lyndhurt, North Arlington and Bayonne than any surronding town. By reducing the available fire support you are hurting more than just the taxpayer in Kearny you are hurting most of the county that expects Kearny to help them when needed. To be short sighted on that fact would be a shame.

not to taking anything away from East Newark they are a great asset to the region. However you cant ignore the fact that they are a vol company and are unable to provide the number of qualified firefighters on a routine basis that a paid dept can. If one vol engine driver doesnt show up the engine doesnt leave the house. what service is that providing? As it is Kearny has to respond to every call that either Harrison or East Newark go out on because they understand they wouldnt be able to handle a fire with their manning. Engine Co 1 and Engine Co 2 have been to more fire protecting not only Kearny taxpayers but Harrionson, East Newark, Belleville, Lyndhurt, North Arlington and Bayonne than any surronding town. By reducing the available fire support you are hurting more than just the taxpayer in Kearny you are hurting most of the county that expects Kearny to help them when needed. To be short sighted on that fact would be a shame.

I agree that paid departments obviously have a distinct advantage to volunteer departments. If you don't see that then you are being blind to the situation.

But to be a firefighter you must be state certified. All volunteers in NJ attend the same (type) of academies as paid departments. Actually East Newark send their firefighters to the exact same academy that Kearny does they come out with the exact same certificate.

I do not believe East Newark has ever had an issue of not being able to get an Engine or Ladder out. I've actually never heard of something like that being a problem. Do you know of a time this happened? Would like to hear about it. I've always been suprised on how good their response time is considering they are a volunteer department.

Kearny doesn't respond to every one of East Newark and Harrison’s "calls" although they are on their first alarm's for confirmed fires. This has specifically to do with the size of their departments and having the proper number of manpower at the initial phase of structure fire. In the state of NJ you have a 2 in 2 out rule (I believe the state is changing this to required 3 man RIC team).

You are right Kearny FD is an important part for all our neighboring towns. Towns these days have been forced to relay more and more on mutual aid. Kearny goes out to Belleville, JC, NA and North Hudson Cities for all major fires when needed. Jersey City has been forced to cut back on mutual aid because of shortages. I hope Kearny never is in that boat.

Don’t let Davis Ave FH shut down!! If it does the safety of our residents will be in more danger!

Oh and recently North Hudson fought the NCAAP and won to only allow their residents to be hired. Kearny/Harrison should be the same. We have enough willing and qualified canidates here in our town. The town should continue

Guest Guest
Oh and recently North Hudson fought the NCAAP and won to only allow their residents to be hired. Kearny/Harrison should be the same. We have enough willing and qualified canidates here in our town. The town should continue

They should bring back the residency requirements. Alot of them have two hour drives on the parkway to come in when recalled.

They should bring back the residency requirements. Alot of them have two hour drives on the parkway to come in when recalled.

I agree. I wrote to the mayor and council about this. Only heard back from the mayor but I did get a nice reponse. I encourage more residents to write in about this matter. Not only that if you are from this town you are going to care more about it. I once heard one firefighter say "I would not step in Kearny for 2 minutes unless they are paying me." This is one of the guys who are protecting our town? Understand this is a newer guy highered from out of town, not an older guy who was a resident and moved out of town, I doubt any of them would think of such a thing nevermind say it.

North Hudson recently used some new case law fought the NCAAP in court and won back their right to hire only residents, why can't we?