School budget cuts

Guest guest

Guest guest

Cut #1 -- the non-essential people on each school's payroll. You don't have far to look - they are all Town Council members, related to people who are on the town council or related to people are already employed by the school system. First head to roll, Nepotism Poster Boy (a/k/a the middle school science teacher who was relieved of his teaching duties last fall due to mind boggling incompetence). My understanding is that he is still being paid by the school system to "fix" computers and serve snacks at school functions. Here is a really great example of "non-essential". Let's go Harrison, time to get serious about trimming the fat in a way that doesn't cripple our already unperforming school system.

Guest Zippy
Cut #1 -- the non-essential people on each school's payroll. You don't have far to look - they are all Town Council members, related to people who are on the town council or related to people are already employed by the school system. First head to roll, Nepotism Poster Boy (a/k/a the middle school science teacher who was relieved of his teaching duties last fall due to mind boggling incompetence). My understanding is that he is still being paid by the school system to "fix" computers and serve snacks at school functions. Here is a really great example of "non-essential". Let's go Harrison, time to get serious about trimming the fat in a way that doesn't cripple our already unperforming school system.

*** AMEN *** FINALLY SOME COMMON SENSE.

Guest Guest

Before any teachers are laid off or aides, they should cut the salaries of the Supt. and Assistant supt.

A new supt. in S. Jersey with 2500 students and a High School and 5 elementary students started at $150,000. Better yet, have 1 Superentident for all of the school districts in Hudson County. That would save millions.

Guest BlueTideBacker
Before any teachers are laid off or aides, they should cut the salaries of the Supt. and Assistant supt.

A new supt. in S. Jersey with 2500 students and a High School and 5 elementary students started at $150,000. Better yet, have 1 Superentident for all of the school districts in Hudson County. That would save millions.

Roxbury in Morris County with a school system twice the size of Harrison's just signed their school super to a new contract (he's been there 4 or 5 years) He'll now be paid $175, 000. He has a Doctorate Degree and is highly thought of in the township.

How is it that a relatively affluent town like Roxbury with a larger school sysem than Harrison pays their superintendent so much less than not so affluent Harrison?

I'd love to hear the mayor justify $220,000 when we're laying off cops and firemen.

Guest Guest

55 School Supts have cut their salaries in NJ. The Supt. in Lower Twp has cut his salary from $160,000 to $44,000 to share the paiun of cuts in school aid. He is now making the same as a starting teacher. What say you Mr. Doran? Will you share the pain and cut your over $200,000 salary? If you cut your salary by 50,000 then maye 2 school aides won't lose their jobs.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest
Roxbury in Morris County with a school system twice the size of Harrison's just signed their school super to a new contract (he's been there 4 or 5 years) He'll now be paid $175, 000. He has a Doctorate Degree and is highly thought of in the township.

How is it that a relatively affluent town like Roxbury with a larger school sysem than Harrison pays their superintendent so much less than not so affluent Harrison?

I'd love to hear the mayor justify $220,000 when we're laying off cops and firemen.

Let's compare more similar communities: according to the 2008/09 NJ School Report Card, Harrison has about 1800 kids in their public school; Kearny has over 5,000. Harrison has 4 schools including the HS; Kearny has 7 schools.

The Superintendent in Kearny doesn't make over $200,000 - closer to $180,000. As usual, something smells in Harrison.

Guest BlueTideBacker
Let's compare more similar communities: according to the 2008/09 NJ School Report Card, Harrison has about 1800 kids in their public school; Kearny has over 5,000. Harrison has 4 schools including the HS; Kearny has 7 schools.

The Superintendent in Kearny doesn't make over $200,000 - closer to $180,000. As usual, something smells in Harrison.

We shouldn't be surprised when you consider neither the mayor nor anyone on the council have any professional financial background or education. I've said for a long time Harrison should have a professional Business Administrator to provide the financial guidance and budgeting expertise every town needs.

I don't think we'd be in the hole we're in now with 6,000 planned housing units and untold millions of bonded debt if we had a Business Administrator looking out for Harrison's citizens. It's clear to me when looking at all the townhouses, that the developer was given a free hand to cram in as many buildings as he possible could without any thought to outdoor living space.

A Business Administrator would have foreseen the impact 6,000 housing units will have on a small school system and advised against that density level. A starting salary of $220,000 for a small school districts' superintendent is just another example of bad financial decisions by people without the professional training and education.

When Rodgers became mayor in the 40's, he made all the financial decisions and for that time it worked. Now

while the world has evolved and life is far more complicated, towns across the country have turned to professions to help manage the finances and budgeting. However, Harrison is trapped in a time warp and is still in the Rodgers era, only the mayor's name has changed. The sad part is I don't see it changing any time soon.

Guest Guest
We shouldn't be surprised when you consider neither the mayor nor anyone on the council have any professional financial background or education. I've said for a long time Harrison should have a professional Business Administrator to provide the financial guidance and budgeting expertise every town needs.

I don't think we'd be in the hole we're in now with 6,000 planned housing units and untold millions of bonded debt if we had a Business Administrator looking out for Harrison's citizens. It's clear to me when looking at all the townhouses, that the developer was given a free hand to cram in as many buildings as he possible could without any thought to outdoor living space.

A Business Administrator would have foreseen the impact 6,000 housing units will have on a small school system and advised against that density level. A starting salary of $220,000 for a small school districts' superintendent is just another example of bad financial decisions by people without the professional training and education.

When Rodgers became mayor in the 40's, he made all the financial decisions and for that time it worked. Now

while the world has evolved and life is far more complicated, towns across the country have turned to professions to help manage the finances and budgeting. However, Harrison is trapped in a time warp and is still in the Rodgers era, only the mayor's name has changed. The sad part is I don't see it changing any time soon.

No one with a professional financial background would run for mayor or council in this town, we are lucky to have Ray as our mayor! He is not only a fine upstanding gentleman but he did hire professionals that came up with the redevelopment plan. A renouned planner, a large engineering firm, and a very good experienced land use attorney who in conjunction with the five developers chosen and the Redevelopment Agency wrote and several times revised the Redevelopment Plan. The revisions were/are necessary as economic conditions and other considerations especially those affecting the developers change. No one could have anticipated 9-11 and the considerable economic fall-out from that tragedy and the subsequent stock market crash along with the terrible housing market that resulted. The Planning Board has done a commendable job in implementing the plan and making some difficult decisions along the way as the developers submit applications.

I am not a town employee, nor is anyone in my family. I live in and own other properties in the town and yes I am friendly with the mayor, who we are lucky to have! Who else is qualified to do a thankless job where no good deed goes unpunished. The only thing I agree with is we could use a Business Administrator to run the daily and long term interests of the town. However, that said most town's Business Admimistrators are very political by nature, at least any I've dealt with in other towns. I also would not worry too much about the school system being over- whelmed with students with the one and two bedroom apartments in the redevelopment area and our school systems dismal reputation. Whose moving here to send their children to the baby sitting factory known as the Harrison School System? Let's give the new superintendant some time to see if he can "turn it around". This may prove itself to be a great decision on the Mayor's part, time will tell.

Guest Guest
No one with a professional financial background would run for mayor or council in this town, we are lucky to have Ray as our mayor! He is not only a fine upstanding gentleman but he did hire professionals that came up with the redevelopment plan. A renouned planner, a large engineering firm, and a very good experienced land use attorney who in conjunction with the five developers chosen and the Redevelopment Agency wrote and several times revised the Redevelopment Plan. The revisions were/are necessary as economic conditions and other considerations especially those affecting the developers change. No one could have anticipated 9-11 and the considerable economic fall-out from that tragedy and the subsequent stock market crash along with the terrible housing market that resulted. The Planning Board has done a commendable job in implementing the plan and making some difficult decisions along the way as the developers submit applications.

I am not a town employee, nor is anyone in my family. I live in and own other properties in the town and yes I am friendly with the mayor, who we are lucky to have! Who else is qualified to do a thankless job where no good deed goes unpunished. The only thing I agree with is we could use a Business Administrator to run the daily and long term interests of the town. However, that said most town's Business Admimistrators are very political by nature, at least any I've dealt with in other towns. I also would not worry too much about the school system being over- whelmed with students with the one and two bedroom apartments in the redevelopment area and our school systems dismal reputation. Whose moving here to send their children to the baby sitting factory known as the Harrison School System? Let's give the new superintendant some time to see if he can "turn it around". This may prove itself to be a great decision on the Mayor's part, time will tell.

A renowned planner who kept changing her plan when the redevelopers asks for changes. The original plan is nothing to what we got stuck with and it continues to change. The redevelopers are paying less takes now than when the redevelopment started. Force them to build NOW or give the redevelopment designations (rights) to another developer who will build.

Your theory on the parents not sending their children to Harrison's school system because its terrible assumes that the Barry folks are not going to Section 8 all the rental housing they are building next to Path. Barry senior made his money on Section 8 in Hoboken.

Barry senior was indicted and convicted of bribery and served time in Fed pen His sons run the show now but did they get the designation because of their qualifications. I have my doubts. They too keep changing their plan on what they are building. They have had MIddlesex Street closed for far too long to make sewer improvements. They now are renting property for Parking. Ironic given the fact that Mayor McDonough's argument against Adler and Amaral was that they were only parking cars. That statement was not true but he made it.

9/11 transferred FBI agents from working on public corruption. That saved McDonough and screwed Harrison's taxpayers. The economy didn't turn until 2 years ago. Greed had more to do with the delays than with 9/11. If the developers had paid a fair price for the land they tried to steal with the Mayor's assistance, the projects would have been financed and done by now.

The Planning Board is made up of folks beholding to the Mayor. They do what he tells them and nothing else. The Planning Board has allowed change after change and the original plan has been circumvented and in effect no long exists.

Guest BlueTideBacker
A renowned planner who kept changing her plan when the redevelopers asks for changes. The original plan is nothing to what we got stuck with and it continues to change. The redevelopers are paying less takes now than when the redevelopment started. Force them to build NOW or give the redevelopment designations (rights) to another developer who will build.

Your theory on the parents not sending their children to Harrison's school system because its terrible assumes that the Barry folks are not going to Section 8 all the rental housing they are building next to Path. Barry senior made his money on Section 8 in Hoboken.

Barry senior was indicted and convicted of bribery and served time in Fed pen His sons run the show now but did they get the designation because of their qualifications. I have my doubts. They too keep changing their plan on what they are building. They have had MIddlesex Street closed for far too long to make sewer improvements. They now are renting property for Parking. Ironic given the fact that Mayor McDonough's argument against Adler and Amaral was that they were only parking cars. That statement was not true but he made it.

9/11 transferred FBI agents from working on public corruption. That saved McDonough and screwed Harrison's taxpayers. The economy didn't turn until 2 years ago. Greed had more to do with the delays than with 9/11. If the developers had paid a fair price for the land they tried to steal with the Mayor's assistance, the projects would have been financed and done by now.

The Planning Board is made up of folks beholding to the Mayor. They do what he tells them and nothing else. The Planning Board has allowed change after change and the original plan has been circumvented and in effect no long exists.

Ray may be a fine upstanding gentleman but Ray and the council had the opportunity to create a beautiful redevelopment area with town houses surrounded by green common areas with benches and a few trees and they blew it. Instead they allowed the developers to cram in as many as possible buildings as they could. The townhouses are built too densely with no place for the kids to play and I can only imagine what the rest of what's coming will look like.

It seems to me the developers had their way with the density levels (6,000 units are way too many for a sq. mile town) and were only interested in the bottom line.

Guest John Q. Public

Where do you find a "dismal reputation" for Harrison Public Schools? On this board? How about comparing our district's test scores with schools in comparable communities? The Dept. of Ed. groups comparable school districts into "district factor groups". These are districts with comparable economic conditions, population density and student populations. Then the Dept of Ed. compares the standard test scores for the schools that are grouped together. Harrison Public Schools ranks at the top of their group. More importantly Harrison Public Schools has produced graduates who go on to universities, the armed forces and the work world. At least the vast majority of graduates do. The minority sit at home and type nonsense here on this board, blaming others for their own failures. "Dismal reputation"? That depends on who you ask...

Guest Guest
Where do you find a "dismal reputation" for Harrison Public Schools? On this board? How about comparing our district's test scores with schools in comparable communities? The Dept. of Ed. groups comparable school districts into "district factor groups". These are districts with comparable economic conditions, population density and student populations. Then the Dept of Ed. compares the standard test scores for the schools that are grouped together. Harrison Public Schools ranks at the top of their group. More importantly Harrison Public Schools has produced graduates who go on to universities, the armed forces and the work world. At least the vast majority of graduates do. The minority sit at home and type nonsense here on this board, blaming others for their own failures. "Dismal reputation"? That depends on who you ask...

You've got to be kidding right? It's the State Dept. of Education web-site, Harrison High School ranks very near the bottom of ALL THE HIGH SCHOOLS IN THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY, it's right there with Camden and Newark and Patterson. Wake up and lets hope our new superintendent can get our school system back on the right track. We have to give him a couple years, if anyone can do it he can.

Guest John Q. Public
You've got to be kidding right? It's the State Dept. of Education web-site, Harrison High School ranks very near the bottom of ALL THE HIGH SCHOOLS IN THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY, it's right there with Camden and Newark and Patterson. Wake up and lets hope our new superintendent can get our school system back on the right track. We have to give him a couple years, if anyone can do it he can.

Try going to www.nj.gov/education/title1/accountability/ayp/0809/dini/identified/.pdf

You will find a list of "Schools in Need of Improvement". You will find Camden, Newark and Patterson. You will find Jersey City, Orange and Elizabeth. You will find Asbury Park and even Red Bank. But......you won't find Harrison. Read the reports. Don't just fabricate the reports. As they say in the movies, "Read 'em and weep!"

And, yes the new Superintendent is proactive and hands on. Cudos to him and to Harrison High School.

Guest guest

Not to mention the schools are much better in Kearny.......

Guest guest
Try going to www.nj.gov/education/title1/accountability/ayp/0809/dini/identified/.pdf

You will find a list of "Schools in Need of Improvement". You will find Camden, Newark and Patterson. You will find Jersey City, Orange and Elizabeth. You will find Asbury Park and even Red Bank. But......you won't find Harrison. Read the reports. Don't just fabricate the reports. As they say in the movies, "Read 'em and weep!"

And, yes the new Superintendent is proactive and hands on. Cudos to him and to Harrison High School.

Not able to find that website.....Harrison has been on the bottom of the list for along time...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Harrison had better cut some of the obvious bloat from the budget before it starts cutting good teachers or good programs.

Let's take suggestions. Who/what would you like to see cut? This is all just hypothetical of course since none of us actually has any input into the process.

Guest Guest
Harrison had better cut some of the obvious bloat from the budget before it starts cutting good teachers or good programs.

Let's take suggestions. Who/what would you like to see cut? This is all just hypothetical of course since none of us actually has any input into the process.

Doran should be willing to take a pay cut till all is back on track. He should also be able to do away with unnecessary positions such as Mr. Chofo, Mrs. Pettrigrew, his nephew (Johns Dorans stepson), and all the other Harrison Realty personnel he put in there. Mr. Doran should think with the taxpayers in mind and the wonderfull teaching staff in mind also, they are the educators and their salary should only be frozen not cut.

Guest Guest
Doran should be willing to take a pay cut till all is back on track. He should also be able to do away with unnecessary positions such as Mr. Chofo, Mrs. Pettrigrew, his nephew (Johns Dorans stepson), and all the other Harrison Realty personnel he put in there. Mr. Doran should think with the taxpayers in mind and the wonderfull teaching staff in mind also, they are the educators and their salary should only be frozen not cut.

Wow, someone is keeping a close eye on Doran, Family, Friends & Associates!!! :unsure:

Guest Guest

Doran is the biggest waste in the budget, 4 schools and 230,000.000 come on lets be realistic and figure out that Dr. Doran is not very bright maybe smart in ways to manipulate the system with political appointments and positions with money in his pocket and more to be made. Board of Ed should realy be called Harrison ***** Annex. True Hudson County Politics at its best, Christie is gonna love this .

Guest Guest
Doran is the biggest waste in the budget, 4 schools and 230,000.000 come on lets be realistic and figure out that Dr. Doran is not very bright maybe smart in ways to manipulate the system with political appointments and positions with money in his pocket and more to be made. Board of Ed should realy be called Harrison ***** Annex. True Hudson County Politics at its best, Christie is gonna love this .

Doran is a product of the Harrison School system. But despite that, he goes off and earns a Ph.D. in a field he cares about!

He has over 25 years of experience in Educational Administration & Supervision!

The Dude could have been a lawyer or a psychologist---making even bigger bucks!

So he knows how to play hardball here in Hudson County politics---more power to him!

Finally, someone well qualified for a position here in Town is hired!

Just like Obama, give him some slack and time.

Guest GUEST

Fire all Associates of Harrison Realty. Then there would be no budget problems.

Guest Guest
Fire all Associates of Harrison Realty. Then there would be no budget problems.

YES, YES,YES talk about abuse of school funds? Jobs for my family and friends. Doran said once after a few brewskies, "I'll never ditch my ***** *****".

Guest Guest
YES, YES,YES talk about abuse of school funds? Jobs for my family and friends. Doran said once after a few brewskies, "I'll never ditch my ***** *****".

is this about ******? and does it rhyme?

Guest Guest
Doran is a product of the Harrison School system. But despite that, he goes off and earns a Ph.D. in a field he cares about!

He has over 25 years of experience in Educational Administration & Supervision!

The Dude could have been a lawyer or a psychologist---making even bigger bucks!

So he knows how to play hardball here in Hudson County politics---more power to him!

Finally, someone well qualified for a position here in Town is hired!

Just like Obama, give him some slack and time.

He beat Higgins to get on the council as an Independant. Then he joined the team. He always used the threat to run for Mayor to get what he wanted. As Supt. he should have started at $150,000 because Harrison is a small school district. So, he knows how to manipulate the system and get his way. While others in Harrison are getting laid off, he got himself a high salary while voting for the layoffs. What a guy?