Digesere

Guest Smitty

Guest GUEST
I was also at the meeting and Mr. Digesere DID give Miss Donna answers to all of her questions. The problem was Miss Donna did not like the straight-forward answers that she was given. Mr. D was up front, honest and very polite. She is worried about her business, not the children.

BERNADETTE IS THIS YOU AGAIN? Mr DIGESERE started sguirming in his seat when asked about his statement to Miss DONNA which he said MIDDLE SCHOOL ETCHED IN STONE.Mr. D was up front,honest yeah right just like his statement middle school was never talked about at BOE MEETING. They forgot about a certain company they hired to do a survey for the MIDDLE SCHOOL 3/4 months ago.

Conversion of Franklin School to a Middle School is and remains the Superintendent's plan. Anything else is being said to get through the April 20 Board election.

No money? Really?? Then why is the Kearny school district going ahead with the contract to buy a building for school administrators on Midland Avenue from the Christian Church that moved to Sacred Heart? That opens up space at Franklin School, which is part of the plan for the Middle School.

The money for the Midland Avenue is a grant. You are going to get about 4 or 5 classrooms by moving the BOE offices out of Franklin. This plan was in the works way before Mr. D came back. Maybe if you people attended more board meetings, you would know this already.

Guest MORE SPENDING
The money for the Midland Avenue is a grant. You are going to get about 4 or 5 classrooms by moving the BOE offices out of Franklin. This plan was in the works way before Mr. D came back. Maybe if you people attended more board meetings, you would know this already.

Why come to BOE meetings, to get looked at like we have 9 heads, to get verbal abuse, to watch certain BOE members chit chat to each other as they look at you, to watch BOE members eat sandwiches, to watch BOE members leave the room when their cell phone rings, to watch BOE members laugh at someone when they talk, you want me to continue. I go to meetings, they are a DISGRACE!!!!!

As for your statement, you bring yet another topic to light. Although the money is a grant there is NOT ENOUGH money from the grant to even get Midland Ave to the point where it can be renovated. You now have to come up with the money to not only renovate Midland Ave, but as you said, FRANKLIN SCHOOL classrooms. Taxpayers could be facing having to come up with another 1.2 million dollars when all is said and done. Just to build Frank D and the BOE plush offices on Midland and more classrooms for the MIDDLE SCHOOL at FRANKLIN!!!!!!

Guest Guest
Why come to BOE meetings, to get looked at like we have 9 heads, to get verbal abuse, to watch certain BOE members chit chat to each other as they look at you, to watch BOE members eat sandwiches, to watch BOE members leave the room when their cell phone rings, to watch BOE members laugh at someone when they talk, you want me to continue. I go to meetings, they are a DISGRACE!!!!!

As for your statement, you bring yet another topic to light. Although the money is a grant there is NOT ENOUGH money from the grant to even get Midland Ave to the point where it can be renovated. You now have to come up with the money to not only renovate Midland Ave, but as you said, FRANKLIN SCHOOL classrooms. Taxpayers could be facing having to come up with another 1.2 million dollars when all is said and done. Just to build Frank D and the BOE plush offices on Midland and more classrooms for the MIDDLE SCHOOL at FRANKLIN!!!!!!

Excuses, excuses. You obviously are still pissed of about the hockey team. For someone that doesn't attend BOE meetings, you sure do have strong opinions. Come to a meeting. You'll see how wrong you are.

Guest Guest

I don't know the specifics regarding the new offices on Midland Ave., however, the need for new classrooms at Franklin School has NOTHING to do with making it a middle school. To open up that portion of the building for more classrooms would only help to make Franklin School more bearable. Do you know how many kids are currently enrolled in Franklin? Do you know how many new townhouses are being built on Schuyler and Bergen Ave.? They are right in the Franklin School district. Now, people don't want a middle school and don't want redistricting. Where do you propose the children in those townhouses will go to school if not Franklin? With over 200 new homes, and hoping that only 1/4 of them have 1 child, where can Franklin School fit even one more kid let alone 50? Wake up and find out facts before you assume and spew your assumptions everywhere.

I don't have a political interest here - things are bad and something has to be done to protect the education of our children from the current economic climate and sudden influx of new families in our schools.

Guest Guest

Please tell me where you get your info from? The money MUST be used for this project or it is lost. Franklin is NOT going to be a middle school. Putting in four classes does not a middle school make!!!!

Guest Guest
I don't know the specifics regarding the new offices on Midland Ave., however, the need for new classrooms at Franklin School has NOTHING to do with making it a middle school. To open up that portion of the building for more classrooms would only help to make Franklin School more bearable. Do you know how many kids are currently enrolled in Franklin? Do you know how many new townhouses are being built on Schuyler and Bergen Ave.? They are right in the Franklin School district. Now, people don't want a middle school and don't want redistricting. Where do you propose the children in those townhouses will go to school if not Franklin? With over 200 new homes, and hoping that only 1/4 of them have 1 child, where can Franklin School fit even one more kid let alone 50? Wake up and find out facts before you assume and spew your assumptions everywhere.

I don't have a political interest here - things are bad and something has to be done to protect the education of our children from the current economic climate and sudden influx of new families in our schools.

Mr. Digesere had nothing to do with the purchase of the Midland Avenue property. Mr. Mooney was responsible for initiating the purchase of the Midland Avenue property and it was a smart move. The building will be used to consolidate all district wide functions in one location for a more efficient operation. It will free up additional classroom space at Franklin School, it will also house the offices for Special Services (Clasified Students). Special Services is currently housed in temporary space do to the addition and renovations at Lincoln School. Additionally Midland Avenue will have a floor of classrooms to house some of the early childhood programs. No frills, no "posh offices" for the superintendent just responsible planning and decision making. And the best part, NO COST TO THE TAXPAYERS!

Guest Kearny Kard

Whoa -- you say others "assume and spew ... assumptions" and you throw out 200 new homes and 50 new children! Talk about spewing assumptions. They're not townhomes, they're condos. Most are one-bedrooms. The former superintendent reviewed the application and said it would have very little impact on Franklin. Get out of your office and review the application at Town Hall.

Bottom line is that the Middle School is DiGesere's and McDonald's Folly. Stop blaming it on others (new school teaching requirements, new development) when you utterly failed in thinking it through. Acknoweldge your mistake and stop blaming others.

And what does "sudden influx of new families" mean? Did total school numbers go up this year compared to September 2009? Or are you falling back on your erroneous assumption of '200 homes'? Or are you layering on an outrageous assumption that "new" families have multiple children? What exactly is "new" code for??

Guest Guest
Whoa -- you say others "assume and spew ... assumptions" and you throw out 200 new homes and 50 new children! Talk about spewing assumptions. They're not townhomes, they're condos. Most are one-bedrooms. The former superintendent reviewed the application and said it would have very little impact on Franklin. Get out of your office and review the application at Town Hall.

Bottom line is that the Middle School is DiGesere's and McDonald's Folly. Stop blaming it on others (new school teaching requirements, new development) when you utterly failed in thinking it through. Acknoweldge your mistake and stop blaming others.

And what does "sudden influx of new families" mean? Did total school numbers go up this year compared to September 2009? Or are you falling back on your erroneous assumption of '200 homes'? Or are you layering on an outrageous assumption that "new" families have multiple children? What exactly is "new" code for??

So your assumption is that there won't be any children living in the proposed 200 condos/townhouses? That's a pretty dangerous assumption considering how many kids are already in Franklin.

If you're so smart why don't you tell us how many of each grade level Franklin currently has and what you would do with an influx of even 10 more kids.

Guest Guestimate

Wrong. The the Midland School building acquisition was in the works two years prior to Digesere being hired as Superintendent.

Guest Kearny Kard
So your assumption is that there won't be any children living in the proposed 200 condos/townhouses? That's a pretty dangerous assumption considering how many kids are already in Franklin.

If you're so smart why don't you tell us how many of each grade level Franklin currently has and what you would do with an influx of even 10 more kids.

Okay, I will.

Franklin School population went over 1,000 several years ago because of the downsizing of the Lincoln School district (which was done because of an alarming drop in test scores that year at Lincoln,) most of whom were shifted to Franklin. Ask Assistant Superintendent Sprague about that. He opposed it.

I said the development would have "little impact." To answer you, 10 kids over K to 12 would probably mean a number between Zero to Two new children in each grade level IF they all go to public school.

Again, stop looking for excuses. Admit the Franklin Middle School Plan wasn't thought out by DiGesere and McDonald.

Guest Guest

Don't read into anything. "New" is not code for anything. The large number of students in our schools is causing just about all of them to become overcrowded - both old and new families have children in our schools. The building of new residences just leads one to believe erroneously or not, that we could anticipate more students to flow into Franklin school. But if as you say, they are all one-bedroom condos, (of course no one EVER overcrowds apartments in Kearny) we should be just fine. Thanks for taking that off my mind.

Guest Guest
Okay, I will.

Franklin School population went over 1,000 several years ago because of the downsizing of the Lincoln School district (which was done because of an alarming drop in test scores that year at Lincoln,) most of whom were shifted to Franklin. Ask Assistant Superintendent Sprague about that. He opposed it.

I said the development would have "little impact." To answer you, 10 kids over K to 12 would probably mean a number between Zero to Two new children in each grade level IF they all go to public school.

Again, stop looking for excuses. Admit the Franklin Middle School Plan wasn't thought out by DiGesere and McDonald.

Ummmm, no. The so called "down-sizing" of Lincoln would have no effect on Franklin whatsoever. At one point, all students from Roosevelt, Schuyler, and about 1/2 ofGarfield went to Lincoln for 7th and 8th grade. The other half of Garfield mostly went to Washington, with a handful going to Franklin. When Schuyler added on the 7th and 8th grade, they had all of Garfield go to Lincoln. Then that jr. high got unmanageable and I believe they began splitting the Garfield students between Washington and Lincoln - no effect on Franklin. You have some facts right, zippy, but not everything.

Guest Kearny Joe
Not in a million years does anyone at the Observer have the ability to do an analysis of a budget. The answer is ©, one paragraph with the bare minimum of information disguised as a story. Then there'll be some inane editorial page about alternative herbal medicine from the publisher and some more of the bizarre Republican diatribes against health care legislation that are lifted verbatim by the Observer's "writer" from the Congressional Record.

I know it's a strange operation, but shouldn't there be one Tin Man and one Lion at the Observer? Three Scarecrows is downright scary.

Nope, the answer is None of the Above. Not even a blurb on the school budget even though it's half your property taxes. How embarassing is that? It's not even "somewhat of a newspaper" any more. It's now entirely an advertisement pamphlet with some strange and idiosyncratic opinion columns from the publisher and the staff person.

Guest Kearny Joe
Don't read into anything. "New" is not code for anything. The large number of students in our schools is causing just about all of them to become overcrowded - both old and new families have children in our schools. The building of new residences just leads one to believe erroneously or not, that we could anticipate more students to flow into Franklin school. But if as you say, they are all one-bedroom condos, (of course no one EVER overcrowds apartments in Kearny) we should be just fine. Thanks for taking that off my mind.

To alleviate your mind, then review the facts. Yes, at Franklin there's overcrowding. But the Kearny school district's student to teacher ratio is very low at 13 students for every 1 teacher. (Dept of Education for 2009-10). There are multiple classes at Roosevelt and Washington with just 12 or 13 students. I don't now how Asst Superintendent Sprague put up with that burden while principal at Franklin.

Because of the imbalance, there's a school districting problem. HOWEVER, the Kearny school district is far from capacity.

Guest Kearny Kard
Ummmm, no. The so called "down-sizing" of Lincoln would have no effect on Franklin whatsoever. At one point, all students from Roosevelt, Schuyler, and about 1/2 ofGarfield went to Lincoln for 7th and 8th grade. The other half of Garfield mostly went to Washington, with a handful going to Franklin. When Schuyler added on the 7th and 8th grade, they had all of Garfield go to Lincoln. Then that jr. high got unmanageable and I believe they began splitting the Garfield students between Washington and Lincoln - no effect on Franklin. You have some facts right, zippy, but not everything.

Uhhhhh, yes. A little over 100 children were redistricted from Lincoln to Franklin. Again, check with Assistant Superintendent Sprague. He had some very harsh language not only on the numbers but on what some believe had a disporportionate impact on Hispanic students.

Yes, I can deal with the facts, including the not very pleasant ones.

Guest Guest
SHH,NO ONE`S SUPPOSED KNOW ABOUT THE FUTURE BOE HEADQUARTERS (MIDLAND AVE/ELM ST) OR THE MIDDLE SCHOOL (FRANKLIN SCHOOL) TILL AFTER THE ELECTION.RIGHT FRANK BOY.

Actually, if you know anything at all, that building has been under consideration for at least the last 3 years if not longer. Mr. Mooney started that project and what's wrong with it? If it opens up space @ Franklin, that would be a wonderful thing. And, "Frank Boy?" How about, Mr. Digesere? That's the problem with all of Kearny schools at the present time, no respect for anything or anybody. All of you people responding on this site know the least, and that's why all you can do is name call and make unsubstantiated accusations because you are not intelligent enough to give an informed answer. This site certainly brings out the "poor man mentality" of the people in this town. The good news is, most people reading this site, are reading it for pure recreation and are having a grand old time watching you all claw and scream.

Guest Guest
BERNADETTE IS THIS YOU AGAIN? Mr DIGESERE started sguirming in his seat when asked about his statement to Miss DONNA which he said MIDDLE SCHOOL ETCHED IN STONE.Mr. D was up front,honest yeah right just like his statement middle school was never talked about at BOE MEETING. They forgot about a certain company they hired to do a survey for the MIDDLE SCHOOL 3/4 months ago.

Honest to God, you people really are dumb. A superintendent of any school gets all of the information together and has a plan 1st, and then presents that plan to the Board for their approval or disapproval. That's how its done. So, if the company has not yet finished doing what they were hired to do, then a Middle School project would NOT be discussed at a BOE meeting. And, by the way, Mr. Digesere never squirms.He has no need to. He is a fine Superintendent with an excellent track record in this town.

Guest Curious Jorge
Honest to God, you people really are dumb. A superintendent of any school gets all of the information together and has a plan 1st, and then presents that plan to the Board for their approval or disapproval. That's how its done. So, if the company has not yet finished doing what they were hired to do, then a Middle School project would NOT be discussed at a BOE meeting. And, by the way, Mr. Digesere never squirms.He has no need to. He is a fine Superintendent with an excellent track record in this town.

DiGesere wants to make Franklin School a Middle School. That's undisputed.

What is DiGesere's "excellent track record"?

Guest More Curious George
DiGesere wants to make Franklin School a Middle School. That's undisputed.

What is DiGesere's "excellent track record"?

What was the "track record" in his three years as Bloomfield Superintendent?

Guest Guest
What was the "track record" in his three years as Bloomfield Superintendent?

Bloomfield Record;

Three years and he bailed out.

Kearny Record;

Less than a year and he's bailing out.

Guest Curious Jorge
Bloomfield Record;

Kearny Record;

What does his contract give him if he "bails out"?

Guest Guest
What does his contract give him if he "bails out"?

Do you people live in a cave or what? Do you not know what our Governor is doing? If what Governor Christie is proposing with a Bill in May gets passed this whole town is going to lose virtually every administrator, except for Costello in Washington. Then you will all be screaming that nobody knows what they are doing and how your kids are getting a shit education and not passing state tests. Obviously you have taken for granted the great public school education your kids have gotten in the past and you all deserve what you get for being so nasty and cynical on this site. Teach your own kids!

Guest GET LOST DEGESERE
Bloomfield Record;

Kearny Record;

The best thing that could happen to Kearny is if this ***** retires. He did everything in his power to get his BOE ****** ******** re=elected so that he could push both their Middle School origram through our town. ******* *** **** was on the telephone almost the entire day calling people up to vote for ******** and their Middle School. ******* *** **** also had a KEA Memeber who's mother ** ***** make phone calls on his behalf for McDonald. Degesere has no business trying to dictate to Kearny voters who should be on their BOE. Degesere doesn't even live in Kearny.

Degesere then had **** ******* spread lies that Munro was going to privatize the janitors which is absolutley NOT TRUE.

Degesere wasn't done, ** and ******** *** the ********** School Principal telling people to vote for ******* as they were entering the voting booth.

Degesere has promised raises and higher paying positions to anyone who would help him make the Middle School a reality and to help him defeat Munro, the only candidate who openly opposed CLOSING FRANKLIN SCHOOL AND HURTING THE FRANKLIN SCHOOL CHILDREN. It is SHAMEFUL that this low life would insert himself into our towns elections to serve his best intrest and his ego.

THE SOONER THIS COWARD LEAVES KEARNY THE BETTER.