St. Patrick's Day Parade

Guest PattysDay

Guest PattysDay

The West Hudson St. Patrick's Day Parade will be held on Sunday March 14. It will begin in Harrison at 2 PM and will travel through East Newark, and up Kearny Avenue ending at Quincy Ave.

Come and join the fun!

Guest Guest
The West Hudson St. Patrick's Day Parade will be held on Sunday March 14. It will begin in Harrison at 2 PM and will travel through East Newark, and up Kearny Avenue ending at Quincy Ave.

Come and join the fun!

It's Paddy not Patty! Good grief!

Guest Parade Committee

Come and join the fun!

Guest Parade Comm Member

Come and join the fun!

Contrary to any rumors you may have heard. The Parade Is NOT cancelled due to weather. The W. Hudson St. Patrick's Day Parade is held rain or shine.

Guest Parade Lover
Contrary to any rumors you may have heard. The Parade Is NOT cancelled due to weather. The W. Hudson St. Patrick's Day Parade is held rain or shine.

Except on March 14, 1993, when it was canceled because of snow and rescheduled for March 21st. Ironically it was the year that Al Cifelli, the guy who saved the Saint Patick's Day Parade in West Hudson, passed away on March 18th. March 21st is his birthday!! Just a bit of parade trivia for you.

Guest Old Timer
Except on March 14, 1993, when it was canceled because of snow and rescheduled for March 21st. Ironically it was the year that Al Cifelli, the guy who saved the Saint Patick's Day Parade in West Hudson, passed away on March 18th. March 21st is his birthday!! Just a bit of parade trivia for you.

and I remember some years before that Al Cifelli was the only Italian honored as 'Irishman of the Year' to the cheers of every Irishman I knew. There is such a depth of tradition and countless stories connected to this parade. It would end at Quincy Ave. ...well, not quite ... it used to continue a half a block to Teddy's (R.I.P.) Teddy was another Italian who played an important part in the parade 'cause ya git awlful tirsty after walkin that far'.... not to mention a need to take care of a few other things! ;-)

Someone used to call it the 'long march back' ... first Reilly's then Town Hall Tavern .. then the Mayor's Office would have a little bar set up ... I used to skip from there down to Graham's then on to Connolly's and then the Irish American ... most would end their crawl there and wait for the pipe band but the more adventurous would continue on south all the way to the Knights or Holy Cross or, of course, Cifelli's in Harrison.

Yeah... we all drank more than we should have and had to call the wife to come get us and hear about it all the way home .... but it was worth it!

I guess it's not the same anymore but along that route I made so many friends that I treasure till this day.

Go ... make some memories...

Guest guest
and I remember some years before that Al Cifelli was the only Italian honored as 'Irishman of the Year' to the cheers of every Irishman I knew. There is such a depth of tradition and countless stories connected to this parade. It would end at Quincy Ave. ...well, not quite ... it used to continue a half a block to Teddy's (R.I.P.) Teddy was another Italian who played an important part in the parade 'cause ya git awlful tirsty after walkin that far'.... not to mention a need to take care of a few other things! ;-)

Someone used to call it the 'long march back' ... first Reilly's then Town Hall Tavern .. then the Mayor's Office would have a little bar set up ... I used to skip from there down to Graham's then on to Connolly's and then the Irish American ... most would end their crawl there and wait for the pipe band but the more adventurous would continue on south all the way to the Knights or Holy Cross or, of course, Cifelli's in Harrison.

Yeah... we all drank more than we should have and had to call the wife to come get us and hear about it all the way home .... but it was worth it!

I guess it's not the same anymore but along that route I made so many friends that I treasure till this day.

What a nice piece. Great memories of those times myself.

Guest Parade Lover

Thank you for a lovely bit of nostalgia. It's nice to know that there are those who remember and choose to share those memories.

You might be comforted to know that there seems to be a growing interest among some young folks to pick up the old traditions. My grandsons and their buddies marched this year and had a great time, finishing up at my home for corned beef and cabbage and a wettin' o' the whistle. They joined the stalwarts of the Cifelli, Dolaghan, and Higgins families who proudly wear the green every year.

Top o' the mornin' to ya and Happy St. Paddy's Day!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest
Thank you for a lovely bit of nostalgia. It's nice to know that there are those who remember and choose to share those memories.

You might be comforted to know that there seems to be a growing interest among some young folks to pick up the old traditions. My grandsons and their buddies marched this year and had a great time, finishing up at my home for corned beef and cabbage and a wettin' o' the whistle. They joined the stalwarts of the Cifelli, Dolaghan, and Higgins families who proudly wear the green every year.

Top o' the mornin' to ya and Happy St. Paddy's Day!