New Superintendent's Office

Guest Guest

How much did it cost for this new superintendents office which took away a classroom or two for Harrison's Middle School Children??? If the BOE had that money to spend in surplus why did the BOE not equipt our children with new technology classes and extras? We already pay this Super over $230,000 per year plus perks for his position. Why did Mayor McDonough allow this to happen? why did Jim Duran accept this expenditure for his School District that he so much cares about? and why did the BOE allow this expenditure to be approved? The BOE should start being more responsible on how they spend taxpayer dollars.

How much did it cost for this new superintendents office which took away a classroom or two for Harrison's Middle School Children??? If the BOE had that money to spend in surplus why did the BOE not equipt our children with new technology classes and extras? We already pay this Super over $230,000 per year plus perks for his position. Why did Mayor McDonough allow this to happen? why did Jim Duran accept this expenditure for his School District that he so much cares about? and why did the BOE allow this expenditure to be approved? The BOE should start being more responsible on how they spend taxpayer dollars.

THE ANSWER WILL BE THAT THE BOARD OF ED IS SEPARATE ENTITY AND YOU SHOULD NOT WORRY WHAT HE DID TO HIS OFFICE.. HE DID TAKE 2 CLASSROOMS UP THOUGH. LOOKS NICE AT NIGHT WHEN THE LIGHTS ARE ON.. THERE ARE LOTS OF PICTURES.. MAKE SURE WHEN YOU SEE HIM YOU ASK HIM TO THANK YOU FOR HIS NEW OFFICE. MEANWHILE IM TRYING TO SCRAPE UP EVERY LAST PENNY TO PAY MY WATER AND TAX BILLS..... WTF!!!!!!! 3/4 OF MY TAXES GO TO EDUCATION AND WHY IS THE TOWN STILL AN ABBOTT DISTRICT?? I GUESS NOT FOR LONG BEFORE BANKRUPTCY.

Is there a YouTube video of Doran giving a tour of the newly decorated office? You know, like when Jacqueline Kennedy had the cameras in to tour the White House after she finished her redecorating. That would be so special.

THE ANSWER WILL BE THAT THE BOARD OF ED IS SEPARATE ENTITY AND YOU SHOULD NOT WORRY WHAT HE DID TO HIS OFFICE.. HE DID TAKE 2 CLASSROOMS UP THOUGH. LOOKS NICE AT NIGHT WHEN THE LIGHTS ARE ON.. THERE ARE LOTS OF PICTURES.. MAKE SURE WHEN YOU SEE HIM YOU ASK HIM TO THANK YOU FOR HIS NEW OFFICE. MEANWHILE IM TRYING TO SCRAPE UP EVERY LAST PENNY TO PAY MY WATER AND TAX BILLS..... WTF!!!!!!! 3/4 OF MY TAXES GO TO EDUCATION AND WHY IS THE TOWN STILL AN ABBOTT DISTRICT?? I GUESS NOT FOR LONG BEFORE BANKRUPTCY.

I must agree…the evening illumination of Superintendent Doran’s office is stunning!!! I hear the senior year students are planning on eventide prom pics with that very setting as their backdrop. Breathless!!!

Guest Guestimate
Is there a YouTube video of Doran giving a tour of the newly decorated office? You know, like when Jacqueline Kennedy had the cameras in to tour the White House after she finished her redecorating. That would be so special.

Obviously, somebody was watching the new show Past Life last night.

Guest 4thwarder

Hey boys?? lets have a little fun now. Doran, ****** douche ba#ges???

did the ********* get mishandled??? Quiet, Quiet again and again. Chris go teach these as#Holes a lesson. 5th street lets rumble boys. Doran doran or doran

Harrison must be blind or stupid to accept this mans salary of $230,000.00 as you post. I was not aware of this and i'm sure not many are either. As I understand Harrison has 4 schools, kearny I think has 8 and their new superintendent makes $182,000.00. I am looking into this further so that I can compare with other towns, and I will make sure to keep the NJ Department of Education aware of this crazy, unnecessary spending and I understand that we have an Assistant Superintendent making close to $200,000.00 tooooo.

I will be writing to the Office of the Commissioner of Education

Mr. Bret Schundler

100 River View Plaza

PO Box 500

Trenton, N.J. 08625

609-292-4450

Or maybe make the Hudson BOE Acting Executive Superintendent aware of these situations

Dr. Timothy Brennan

201-369-5290

Mr. Bret Schundler

100 River View Plaza

PO Box 500

Trenton, N.J. 08625

609-292-4450

Or maybe make the Hudson BOE Acting Executive Superintendent aware of these situations

Dr. Timothy Brennan

201-369-5290

Check their salaries while you are at it, these are highly educated and motivated people responsible for the education of our youth! The only thing more expensive would be not to educate our youth to the best of ability. Give Jim a chance, he might surprise you.

Mr. Bret Schundler

100 River View Plaza

PO Box 500

Trenton, N.J. 08625

609-292-4450

Dr. Timothy Brennan

201-369-5290

Thank you for this information, I for one am not very happy with some decisions made by the BOE and the way things are just accepted. Harrison needs to have an Elected Board of Education so that all in the family are not passing everything before them just because they have to, all members are affiliated in other jobs and departments and given the Mayor blessing. The residents, taxpayer and parents should be the people making those decisions for the children and the teachers.

Check their salaries while you are at it, these are highly educated and motivated people responsible for the education of our youth! The only thing more expensive would be not to educate our youth to the best of ability. Give Jim a chance, he might surprise you.

Has he ever been an educator? the educators need salary increases for what they do, the superintendent is only advising the educators on how he wants the day to day job to be done, not how to educate, they know that themselves.

Don't think you understand, Harrison has a Superintendent and an Assistant Superintendent, what do these people do? for a school district to spend 400,000.00 per year on the Delegators we should have in place an exceptional school district, Harrison should not be considered an Abott School District based on the highly paid individuals that can budget and excell the Harrison Schools. Like one of the posts on this site there are only 4 SCHOOLS................................. TAKE OUT THE CALCULATOR

Don't think you understand, Harrison has a Superintendent and an Assistant Superintendent, what do these people do? for a school district to spend 400,000.00 per year on the Delegators we should have in place an exceptional school district, Harrison should not be considered an Abott School District based on the highly paid individuals that can budget and excell the Harrison Schools. Like one of the posts on this site there are only 4 SCHOOLS................................. TAKE OUT THE CALCULATOR

I understand that Jim just started and needs a chance. Also, the Abbott designation has to do with the percentage of the tax base supporting the school system more than anything else. Because our tax base was erroded by the old pre- WWII buildings and there lack of repair and the ability to rent or sell them in such a substandard condition in the Redevelopment Area. We need to give that a chance also, once the economy rebounds.

In Harrison an Abott District School, and the town being on state aid for many years IT COST TOO MUCH.

If there is excess money for that why is there not excess money for the arts after school programs and programs to guide kids in other directions?

To the poster who thinks that Harrison needs an elected Board of Education... obviously you don't remember when Harrison did have an elected BOE....it lasted about 10 years.... maybe less. The first few years several people came out to run for the positions, and many people came out to vote. Then after a few years no one came out to run and no one came out to vote..... so Harrison went back to an appointed BOE. Sounds so typicaly like Harrison.

So easy to complain and hide behind your computer, lots of unproven solutions, and lots of threats, but no one will throw their hat into the ring.... and no one will take the time to come out and vote.

Guest Guest
To the poster who thinks that Harrison needs an elected Board of Education... obviously you don't remember when Harrison did have an elected BOE....it lasted about 10 years.... maybe less. The first few years several people came out to run for the positions, and many people came out to vote. Then after a few years no one came out to run and no one came out to vote..... so Harrison went back to an appointed BOE. Sounds so typicaly like Harrison.

So easy to complain and hide behind your computer, lots of unproven solutions, and lots of threats, but no one will throw their hat into the ring.... and no one will take the time to come out and vote.

I remember the elected boards. The administration candidates were given money and support form the administration in the form of letters from the mayor indorsing candidates. This made it almost impossible for the average Joe to win. In addition, several candidates felt there was retribution against them for running.

In most towns school board elections test the strength of a candidate, and if they win by a large margin, their next move is to run for a council or a mayor position. Our present administration doesn't want that. There is also a move afoot to have the school board elections on the same date as the general elections to save on costs. Most towns in New Jersey have a very low turnout for school board elections, In Harrison a low turnout was used as a mandate for appointed board members.

Appointed board members in Harrison have turned the school system into a money pit, rife with nepotism and wasteful spending. No one, who knows what their talking about, can deny that. In Harrison education is not about the kids, it's about a pot of money from both the state and the federal government that will be divided amongst whoever the Board of Education decides. Usually the money is divided amongst family, friends, and contributors.

Guest Guest

What are you talking about? I should not worry? can you say our tax money. You must be employed by the Realty or the BOE, SAME. We should all be worried because the tax bills will be going out soon, for that reason the Mayor bailed out, you will see many more bail out.

Guest Guest
I understand that Jim just started and needs a chance. Also, the Abbott designation has to do with the percentage of the tax base supporting the school system more than anything else. Because our tax base was erroded by the old pre- WWII buildings and there lack of repair and the ability to rent or sell them in such a substandard condition in the Redevelopment Area. We need to give that a chance also, once the economy rebounds.

Many towns have a policy of increasing taxes on property that has been unused for two or more years. That forces owners to either sell, remediate, or build on vacant land. Harrison encouraged owners of the old buildings to let them dilapidate by lowering taxes on unused property. We need new leadership to force development, not pay developers to redevelop.

Guest Guest
Many towns have a policy of increasing taxes on property that has been unused for two or more years. That forces owners to either sell, remediate, or build on vacant land. Harrison encouraged owners of the old buildings to let them dilapidate by lowering taxes on unused property. We need new leadership to force development, not pay developers to redevelop.

Thank you, yes you are abolutely correct in regards to the property tax in many towns, as in Kearny they encourage building and remediating with a 5 year tax freeze on your improvements, they also go after you if you have an abandoned home, in one recent case the town is razing the home for being vacant for 5 years, health issues and property value issues. THANKS AGAIN

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Mr. Bret Schundler

100 River View Plaza

PO Box 500

Trenton, N.J. 08625

609-292-4450

Dr. Timothy Brennan

201-369-5290

I would suggest just make Mr. Schundler aware of what is going on. Not the acting superintendent of the Hudson County BOE, he and Jim are in bed together.

Guest Guest
Thank you, yes you are abolutely correct in regards to the property tax in many towns, as in Kearny they encourage building and remediating with a 5 year tax freeze on your improvements, they also go after you if you have an abandoned home, in one recent case the town is razing the home for being vacant for 5 years, health issues and property value issues. THANKS AGAIN

Harrison also has that 5 year tax freeze if you remediate or upgrade, thanks to the 2nd. ward councilpeople, but the only problem is that when you go for a permit in the construction department they do not let you know about this. I was replacing my siding and Stephs wife Maria, stoped to tell me about it and left me an application in the mail the following day. They should inform people about this freeze, more people would take advantage of it and fix their property when knowing that the taxes will not go up on their improvements. I guess the Mayor does not feel that this is as important as the development of the new harrison.

Guest Guest
I would suggest just make Mr. Schundler aware of what is going on. Not the acting superintendent of the Hudson County BOE, he and Jim are in bed together.

is this Jim Dorun, he is a pig.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Too much tax payer money, I'm sure the new superintendent of schools didn't pay out of his pocket.