Light skinned African American

Guest 2smart4u

Guest 2smart4u

I thought I was watching a rerun of Gone With The Wind yesterday, listening to Harry Reid talk about a light-skinned African American without a negro dialect.

Add Reid to the list of Dems that will be retiring in '10. To quote McDonald's; I'm lovin it.

You don't honestly believe that the Dems would throw one of their own out for comments such as this?

I remember when Lott got himself in a bind, I thought, without question, he should lose his Majority Leader role, but not necessarily lose his seat. The man got tossed altogether. Faced with the same issues, the Dems won't even remove the man from a Leadership position. Hypocrites!!!

Wait for it, here come the moral equivalence excuses about how Lott's comments don't compare to Reid's. But, then I ask the liberals out there what exactly did Reid mean by a "Negro dialect". Because if that is not a veiled prejudice, I honestly don't know what is.

Keith, keep it clean if you can, and if you can't maybe the moderators can do their job.

Guest Night and Day
You don't honestly believe that the Dems would throw one of their own out for comments such as this?

I remember when Lott got himself in a bind, I thought, without question, he should lose his Majority Leader role, but not necessarily lose his seat. The man got tossed altogether. Faced with the same issues, the Dems won't even remove the man from a Leadership position. Hypocrites!!!

Wait for it, here come the moral equivalence excuses about how Lott's comments don't compare to Reid's. But, then I ask the liberals out there what exactly did Reid mean by a "Negro dialect". Because if that is not a veiled prejudice, I honestly don't know what is.

Keith, keep it clean if you can, and if you can't maybe the moderators can do their job.

There's a world of difference between the two. Lott expressed approval and nostalgia for the Dixiecrat Party, whose platform was anchored by official segregation of people in Southern States based on race. Lott lost his support as majority leader and Senator because of that segregationist view. Even George W. Bush went along with the removal.

At the time Reid made his statement (before anyone knew Obama would become a political rock star), it was hard to think that America would elect an African-American president. Reid disagreed. He pushed Obama to run. Reid thought that Obama would effectively diffuse any attacks based on racism or or "angry black male" stereotypes. He was right. As much as the right wing tried to malign him as "an angry Black man" (especially with the Reverend Wright video), it didn't work. Obama is not a stereotype. I concur that Reid's choice of words was extremely poor; he could have made the same point without the incendiary words. But Reid was right on the uniqueness of the Obama candidacy, as attested by his sizeable victory in November.

There's a world of difference between the two. Lott expressed approval and nostalgia for the Dixiecrat Party, whose platform was anchored by official segregation of people in Southern States based on race. Lott lost his support as majority leader and Senator because of that segregationist view. Even George W. Bush went along with the removal.

At the time Reid made his statement (before anyone knew Obama would become a political rock star), it was hard to think that America would elect an African-American president. Reid disagreed. He pushed Obama to run. Reid thought that Obama would effectively diffuse any attacks based on racism or or "angry black male" stereotypes. He was right. As much as the right wing tried to malign him as "an angry Black man" (especially with the Reverend Wright video), it didn't work. Obama is not a stereotype. I concur that Reid's choice of words was extremely poor; he could have made the same point without the incendiary words. But Reid was right on the uniqueness of the Obama candidacy, as attested by his sizeable victory in November.

That was TOOOO easy. Though I think you mistake a compliment to an elder statesman on his birthday with a vindication of the Dixiecrats as a whole. Just my opinion, but its a hell of a stretch. Also, I agreed with his removal from the leadership position, just not his seat. That's what elections are for.

Harry Reid, not surprisingly, is getting a COMPLETE PASS. Even by you. But Republicans are the racists. Its either wrong ALL the time or its not, when you pick and choose you expose yourself as a hypocrite.

Guest 2smart4u
That was TOOOO easy. Though I think you mistake a compliment to an elder statesman on his birthday with a vindication of the Dixiecrats as a whole. Just my opinion, but its a hell of a stretch. Also, I agreed with his removal from the leadership position, just not his seat. That's what elections are for.

Harry Reid, not surprisingly, is getting a COMPLETE PASS. Even by you. But Republicans are the racists. Its either wrong ALL the time or its not, when you pick and choose you expose yourself as a hypocrite.

Right! You don't pick and choose, all Republicans are racists.

Wait a minute! Wasn't it Bubba Clinton that said (referring to Obama) "there was a time he'd be getting us coffee"? That must have been a misquote, Bubba's a Dem, not a racist.

Guest 2 smart 2 be gop

And I'm sure most repubs were "outraged" at the drug crazed gop mouthpiece's, Barack the Magic Negro skit. Go back under your very uncrowded rock.

Guest Night and Day

Here's the exact Lott quote:

"I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either."

And here's the platform of the Dixiecrat Party:

On July 17, 1948, delegates from 13 southern states gathered in Birmingham to nominate Thurmond and adopt a platform that said in part, "We stand for the segregation of the races and the racial integrity of each race."

That's endorsement of segregation based on race, period. Reid on the other hand used very inappropriate language, but did not endorse any racist conduct or racism. I would equate Reid to how this board treated you, Loki, when you last year described Barack Obama as a "boy" and referred to his "flapping lips". Very inappropriate, but not requiring banishment. (BTW, Sarah Palin is younger and physically has bigger lips, but you didn't used that race-coded language with her.)

Guest 2smart4u
Here's the exact Lott quote:

"I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either."

And here's the platform of the Dixiecrat Party:

On July 17, 1948, delegates from 13 southern states gathered in Birmingham to nominate Thurmond and adopt a platform that said in part, "We stand for the segregation of the races and the racial integrity of each race."

That's endorsement of segregation based on race, period. Reid on the other hand used very inappropriate language, but did not endorse any racist conduct or racism. I would equate Reid to how this board treated you, Loki, when you last year described Barack Obama as a "boy" and referred to his "flapping lips". Very inappropriate, but not requiring banishment. (BTW, Sarah Palin is younger and physically has bigger lips, but you didn't used that race-coded language with her.)

Bigger lips ?? How did you determine this ?

And I'm sure most repubs were "outraged" at the drug crazed gop mouthpiece's, Barack the Magic Negro skit. Go back under your very uncrowded rock.

Problem with that was that Rush didnt come up with the "Magic Negro" Name...THAT little gem came right from the Los Angeles Times.. which of course is a long-time bastion of Conservat....umm wait

and before anyone tries to cry "bullshit, here's the Link...

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commen...0,3391015.story

Obama the 'Magic Negro'

The Illinois senator lends himself to white America's idealized, less-than-real black man.

By David Ehrenstein

L.A.-based DAVID EHRENSTEIN writes about Hollywood and politics.

March 19, 2007

E-mail Print Share Text Size

AS EVERY CARBON-BASED life form on this planet surely knows, Barack Obama, the junior Democratic senator from Illinois, is running for president. Since making his announcement, there has been no end of commentary about him in all quarters — musing over his charisma and the prospect he offers of being the first African American to be elected to the White House.

Complete pass from what? Everything he said was true. There's still a lot of racism in the United States. Lott was arguing that we would be better off segregated. Why not just go back to lynching parties? You're not being reasonable, Loki. When a difference is present, you have to account for it.

Guest Black and White
Problem with that was that Rush didnt come up with the "Magic Negro" Name...THAT little gem came right from the Los Angeles Times.. which of course is a long-time bastion of Conservat....umm wait

and before anyone tries to cry "bullshit, here's the Link...

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commen...0,3391015.story

So because the LA Times used the term, Rush get's a pass for singing "Barack the Magic Negro" to the tune of "Puff the Magic Dragon"? You have got to be kidding me.

On the March 19 broadcast of his nationally syndicated radio show, host Rush Limbaugh highlighted a March 19 Los Angeles Times op-ed that described Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL) as "running for an equally important unelected office, in the province of the popular imagination -- the 'Magic Negro'" -- a term used by critics of pop culture to describe certain benevolent African-American characters. Limbaugh stated: "The term 'Magic Negro' has been thrown into the political presidential race in the mix for 2008. And the term 'Magic Negro,' as applied to Barack Obama has been done by an L.A. Times columnist, David Ehrenstein." Limbaugh later asserted: "I'm going to keep referring to him as that because I want to make a bet that by the end of this week I will own that term," adding, "If I refer to Obama the rest of the day as the 'Magic Negro,' there will be a number of people in the drive-by media and on left-wing blogs who will credit me for coming up with it and ignore the L.A. Times did it, simply because they can't be critical of the L.A. Times, but they can, obviously, be critical of talk radio." Limbaugh continued to refer to Obama as the "Magic Negro" throughout the broadcast -- 27 times, to be exact -- and at one point sang "Barack, the Magic Negro" to the tune of "Puff, the Magic Dragon."

Robert Byrd, Democratic Senator from the great state of West Virginia, was once a Grand Kleagle. Not someone who got caught up in the moment of moronic racist rally (or demonstration), but someone who actually RECRUITED others to join. But, he is a Democrat, and as such is above such criticisms.

These are your peeps, not MINE.

Robert Byrd, Democratic Senator from the great state of West Virginia, was once a Grand Kleagle. Not someone who got caught up in the moment of moronic racist rally (or demonstration), but someone who actually RECRUITED others to join. But, he is a Democrat, and as such is above such criticisms.

These are your peeps, not MINE.

No he's not above criticism. But he's not espousing segregation now either.