School system should be ashamed

Guest guest

The Harrison school district should be ashamed of itself for the mind-boggling nonsense that was pulled on the students and parents today. Decided YESTERDAY, based upon a weather forecast of 1-3 inches of snow, they called for a delayed opening of 10am this morning and then an early closing of 2:15 this afternoon. Before one flake of snow fell from the sky. Ours was the ONLY school district in Hudson County that was showing anything on the "school delay and closing" schedules on all of the TV networks. I could understand it there were 2 feet of snow expected but 1-3 inches? Are you kidding me? This better not be indicative of the kinds of snow day calls that are going to be made by this new superintendent or he is going to get a firestorm of criticism from the working parents.

Come on folks, get a backbone. It's not going to kill the students or teachers to have to walk through a little bit of snow.

The Harrison school district should be ashamed of itself for the mind-boggling nonsense that was pulled on the students and parents today. Decided YESTERDAY, based upon a weather forecast of 1-3 inches of snow, they called for a delayed opening of 10am this morning and then an early closing of 2:15 this afternoon. Before one flake of snow fell from the sky. Ours was the ONLY school district in Hudson County that was showing anything on the "school delay and closing" schedules on all of the TV networks. I could understand it there were 2 feet of snow expected but 1-3 inches? Are you kidding me? This better not be indicative of the kinds of snow day calls that are going to be made by this new superintendent or he is going to get a firestorm of criticism from the working parents.

Come on folks, get a backbone. It's not going to kill the students or teachers to have to walk through a little bit of snow.

Lighten up!!!

Doran was looking forward to an early ski weekend. Give him a break.

When it comes to snow days, both the students and teachers are going to love their Ski Superintendent!!!

Criticism? That's all that comes from this web site. What's your point? Go to a B.O.E. meeting and voice your concerns. Safety is the best policy.

Criticism? That's all that comes from this web site. What's your point? Go to a B.O.E. meeting and voice your concerns. Safety is the best policy.

Let's see delay an hour and be safe or take a chance on rush hour traffic with inclement weather. I'd say the right choice was made.

Next complaint.

Eagle

Guest *exbluetider*
Let's see delay an hour and be safe or take a chance on rush hour traffic with inclement weather. I'd say the right choice was made.

Next complaint.

Eagle

Without having to bus the children, it seems to me a little ludicras to have a late start and early quit. Unless of course I'm wrong and they are now bussed. Growing up in the 50's we didn't have busses and depended on the siren at town hall to notify us of any school closings. Given that, I'm trying to recollect what the criteria was for the closings. Of course the main difference was that members of the BOE and most teachers lived in town so that made it easier to get to schools. If memory serves, a whole lot more than 1-3 inches of snow was needed before we got a day off to head to the park and sleigh ride.

Next complaint.

Eagle

If safety is a concern perhaps, we should extend the delayed start to cops, firemen, and other town workers. You live in New Jersey, if you can't deal with 1-3 inches of snow you are in the wrong place.

Next complaint.

Eagle

No one who lives in Harrison needs to hit rush hour traffic to get their kids to school. And too bad for the teachers if they do. Everyone else who has a job has to be there on time.

No one who lives in Harrison needs to hit rush hour traffic to get their kids to school. And too bad for the teachers if they do. Everyone else who has a job has to be there on time.

You are right, everyone else did have to be at work on time. Not like you can call in late because there is a dusting of snow on the ground. Especially these days when there are 500 people waiting to grab your job. So my friends had to leave their kids at home and they had to get to school by themselves. That is the reality of life when people have to work for a living. I think this presents more of a concern about safety than having to walk through an inch of snow.

No, it is much better to wait until 5 or 6 am and then put people in a panic trying to make arrangements for their children in the morning. The last thing a parent wants is any notice of a change in the school schedule. It's much better when we find out last minute.

Give me a break! There are so many other things worth complaining about.