Learning French In The 3rd Grade?

Guest Grandma

Guest Grandma

I thought I would share this, my grandson came home from school today and I asked him if he had any homework to do, before his dad got home. His reply was " Just my numbers 1-100 in French" . I almost fell off the chair, I mean there is nothing wrong with learning a new language, but French? I could understand Spanish, Portuguese, or even Chinese they are the most used language in the U.S. besides Engish ~ But I must say he was very good at it. I just thought I would share this with you

I thought I would share this, my grandson came home from school today and I asked him if he had any homework to do, before his dad got home. His reply was " Just my numbers 1-100 in French" . I almost fell off the chair, I mean there is nothing wrong with learning a new language, but French? I could understand Spanish, Portuguese, or even Chinese they are the most used language in the U.S. besides Engish ~ But I must say he was very good at it. I just thought I would share this with you

It's probably because french is the second most used diplomatic and business language behind english.

Guest L'Etudiant
It's probably because french is the second most used diplomatic and business language behind english.

A century ago it was. The official UN languages are Mandarin, English, Arabic, Spanish and French. There are more speakers of Mandarin, Spanish, Russian, Arabic, Portuguese or Hindi than there are French speakers. As to the lingua franca of business and diplomacy, that's English. Since China has a quarter of the world's population and the fastest growing economy, I'd think Mandarin makes the most sense for foreign language study.

Le francais n'est plus la langue d'affaires ou de la diplomatie. Les anciennes colonies francaises parlent creole. Et la France propre est devenue un pays de plusiers langues et cultures.

A century ago it was. The official UN languages are Mandarin, English, Arabic, Spanish and French. There are more speakers of Mandarin, Spanish, Russian, Arabic, Portuguese or Hindi than there are French speakers. As to the lingua franca of business and diplomacy, that's English. Since China has a quarter of the world's population and the fastest growing economy, I'd think Mandarin makes the most sense for foreign language study.

Le francais n'est plus la langue d'affaires ou de la diplomatie. Les anciennes colonies francaises parlent creole. Et la France propre est devenue un pays de plusiers langues et cultures.

You forgot Russian is an official UN language.

It doesn't always matter what additional language a child learns. Regardless of the language studied, research has shown that math and verbal SAT scores climb higher with each additional year of foreign language study, which means that the longer you study a foreign language, the stronger your skills become to succeed in school. Studying a foreign language can improve your analytic and interpretive capacities. And three years of language study on your record will catch the eye of anyone reading your job or college application.

Guest Grandma

I would like to thank you all for the info, I am happy that he is learning a new language and I really don't care which one, I just thought of my school years and how we didn't have classes for that until high school.

It doesn't always matter what additional language a child learns. Regardless of the language studied, research has shown that math and verbal SAT scores climb higher with each additional year of foreign language study, which means that the longer you study a foreign language, the stronger your skills become to succeed in school. Studying a foreign language can improve your analytic and interpretive capacities. And three years of language study on your record will catch the eye of anyone reading your job or college application.

Studying a foreign language is time and money that could be better spent elswhere.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Logic Tester
Except that the state is requiring it, so the Kearny School system has to provide.

So does that mean Kearny schools should teach the Papiamentu language?