* Crucial Decision on Tuesday

JohnPinho

Harrison's Mayor Raymond McDonough faces the toughest decision of his political career on Tuesday, December 1, 2009. The Mayor & Council are scheduled to meet and discuss Ordinances which will retroactively increase town worker salaries.

Governor Jon Corzine and Governor Elect Chris Christie have announced that there will be additional cuts to the aid to municipalities. Governor Corzine plans to cut municipal aid to make up a 1 billion dollar state budget deficit. Governor-elect Christie's transition team in a statement released to the press stated,"These budget shortfalls make it clear that the Corzine administrationmust take urgent and immediate action to bring the budget under control". Governor Corzine apparently agrees and is moving to make the cuts before he leaves office.

I previously suggested that Mayor McDonough ask town workers to forgo pay increases. The Town of Harrison taxpayers simply cannot afford any higher taxes. With record unemployment, State aid being cut to towns and school districts, and millions in bond interest payments coming due in 2010, Mayor McDonough must use his political will power and convince town workers that they cannot get retroactive pay raises. Not this year. The economy simply cannot support town worker pay increases. Other towns plan to lay off workers to trim their budgets. The Town of Harrison is no longer immune to State budget cuts to municipalities and school districts.

A look at the town's salary ordinance reveals that in some politically appointed positions, Mayor McDonough has rewarded some with salaries higher than those that the private sector would support. If town workers get pay increases, it is unlikely that Governor-elect Christie will look favorably on Harrison. The excesses of the past simply won't be tolerated by New Jersey's new governor. A salary freeze would go a long way to show the new Governor that Harrison is serious about doing its part to solve the State's 1 Billion Dollar budget deficit.

I strongly urge Mayor McDonough to table the salary ordinance. Call a meeting of the Union bargaining units and discuss a negotiated freeze of salary increases until the town and the state's economy can support those increases. If Mayor McDonough does nothing and passes the salary ordinance, the new year will bring forced layoffs of town workers. Those less politically connected will undoubtedly be the first to go.

Asking workers to forgo pay increases isn't a popular statement with town workers or in the private sector. The reality however is that many town residents have been out of work and/or underemployed for over a year. Town workers should be thankful for what they have already. In the past year in a half, my office has been dealing with the economic storm that has hit our country, state and town. Residents are not attending town meetings because they suddenly found this website or Joe Wood's website, www.HarrisonMeetings.com, or because of what Councilmembers Steve and Marie McCormick have stated publically about the town's finances. Harrison Residents are attending town meetings because they are unemployed, their tenants are unemployed and they cannot make their mortgage payments and Harrison's property taxes, school taxes, and water/sewer bills keep going up. The town cannot afford town worker pay increases. Irreparable harm will be done to town residents if Mayor McDonough and the council continue to ignore the worse economic meltdown since the Great Depression.

Attend Tuesday's Mayor & Council meeting scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Join me at the Caucus at 6:30 p.m. on the Third Floor or if you can't make 6:30 p.m., at 7:00 p.m. or as soon as you can make it, on the Council Chambers on the 2nd Floor. Let's see if Mayor McDonough ignores the red light in front of him and goes through the intersection. If McDonough's decision only effected him I wouldn't care but his decision to take the red light effects every resident in Harrison including town workers he says he's helping.

View the full article

Mr Pinhole,

What is your connection the Kearnyontheweb? & why are you so concerned about Harrison when you live in Kearny? Town workers have been without contract for 3 years & have waited for a legal & binding arbitration ruling, which I'm sure you know. I don't see you fighting for the taxpayers of Kearny the way you fight for harrison, Why is that? There must be underlying reasons, a dislike for the Mayor maybe, whatever it is do tell.

Mr Pinhole,

What is your connection the Kearnyontheweb? & why are you so concerned about Harrison when you live in Kearny? Town workers have been without contract for 3 years & have waited for a legal & binding arbitration ruling, which I'm sure you know. I don't see you fighting for the taxpayers of Kearny the way you fight for harrison, Why is that? There must be underlying reasons, a dislike for the Mayor maybe, whatever it is do tell.

And what does this have to do with the dificulties that Harrison is faced with? give them raises only to lay them off at the beginning of the year? This is what will happen, don't you get it?

Mr Pinhole,

Pinho, who are u to suggest anything? You can't even explain why Adler giving a sweetheart loan to your friends the McCormicks is wrong legally and ethically??? U r really a douch* b*g.

pinhole,you state in your comments harrison residents are attending town meetings because they are unemployed,then what was the big deal about last weeks caucus at 4p.m. if all these people could have been there?

Pinho, who are u to suggest anything? You can't even explain why Adler giving a sweetheart loan to your friends the McCormicks is wrong legally and ethically??? U r really a douch* b*g.

Why would he have to explain? ask the McCormicks how legall and ethical a loan would be? If you have any problems with their stand and beliefs of what they do personally it is only right that you ask them. Why would you ask this Pinho guy? you sound very infantile with regards to your posting. grow up

why do we not deserve raises? I bet u had a raise in last three years. my family doesnt deserve it, who are u to recomend anything any way u dont even live there. why dont u worry about where u live u are nothing but a trouble maker.

Do you have anything that will fortify this site intelligently? you sound as if you lack education.

Trust me he's not the only d.b., the McComics define what a d.b. is!!! Everyone will see this shortly, if they don't know it already.

Guest Waytt Earp
Harrison's Mayor Raymond McDonough faces the toughest decision of his political career on Tuesday, December 1, 2009. The Mayor & Council are scheduled to meet and discuss Ordinances which will retroactively increase town worker salaries.

Governor Jon Corzine and Governor Elect Chris Christie have announced that there will be additional cuts to the aid to municipalities. Governor Corzine plans to cut municipal aid to make up a 1 billion dollar state budget deficit. Governor-elect Christie's transition team in a statement released to the press stated,"These budget shortfalls make it clear that the Corzine administrationmust take urgent and immediate action to bring the budget under control". Governor Corzine apparently agrees and is moving to make the cuts before he leaves office.

I previously suggested that Mayor McDonough ask town workers to forgo pay increases. The Town of Harrison taxpayers simply cannot afford any higher taxes. With record unemployment, State aid being cut to towns and school districts, and millions in bond interest payments coming due in 2010, Mayor McDonough must use his political will power and convince town workers that they cannot get retroactive pay raises. Not this year. The economy simply cannot support town worker pay increases. Other towns plan to lay off workers to trim their budgets. The Town of Harrison is no longer immune to State budget cuts to municipalities and school districts.

A look at the town's salary ordinance reveals that in some politically appointed positions, Mayor McDonough has rewarded some with salaries higher than those that the private sector would support. If town workers get pay increases, it is unlikely that Governor-elect Christie will look favorably on Harrison. The excesses of the past simply won't be tolerated by New Jersey's new governor. A salary freeze would go a long way to show the new Governor that Harrison is serious about doing its part to solve the State's 1 Billion Dollar budget deficit.

I strongly urge Mayor McDonough to table the salary ordinance. Call a meeting of the Union bargaining units and discuss a negotiated freeze of salary increases until the town and the state's economy can support those increases. If Mayor McDonough does nothing and passes the salary ordinance, the new year will bring forced layoffs of town workers. Those less politically connected will undoubtedly be the first to go.

Asking workers to forgo pay increases isn't a popular statement with town workers or in the private sector. The reality however is that many town residents have been out of work and/or underemployed for over a year. Town workers should be thankful for what they have already. In the past year in a half, my office has been dealing with the economic storm that has hit our country, state and town. Residents are not attending town meetings because they suddenly found this website or Joe Wood's website, www.HarrisonMeetings.com, or because of what Councilmembers Steve and Marie McCormick have stated publically about the town's finances. Harrison Residents are attending town meetings because they are unemployed, their tenants are unemployed and they cannot make their mortgage payments and Harrison's property taxes, school taxes, and water/sewer bills keep going up. The town cannot afford town worker pay increases. Irreparable harm will be done to town residents if Mayor McDonough and the council continue to ignore the worse economic meltdown since the Great Depression.

Attend Tuesday's Mayor & Council meeting scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Join me at the Caucus at 6:30 p.m. on the Third Floor or if you can't make 6:30 p.m., at 7:00 p.m. or as soon as you can make it, on the Council Chambers on the 2nd Floor. Let's see if Mayor McDonough ignores the red light in front of him and goes through the intersection. If McDonough's decision only effected him I wouldn't care but his decision to take the red light effects every resident in Harrison including town workers he says he's helping.

3 years without a contract while working for a Town that gave away alomst 250 million dollors to developers and you have the balls to ask me to give back!!!!

F-CK YOU, PAY ME!!!!!!!!!!!

View the full article