science teachers may not be state certified

Guest hockeynut

Guest hockeynut

Parents in Harrison need to know that 2 veteran science teachers may not be state certified to teach the 6th to 8th grade science classes they now teach.As of this past June they were state certified to teach language arts not science.You can find out by calling the Hudson county superintendent of schools.I've been told that this is legal as long as the school can't find a state certified science teacher.The 2 teachers{one is married to a boe employee} have been teaching science in Harrison for many years.I feel the boe has violated the letter and spirit of the law because they didn't give an outstanding science teacher tenure this past June because of nepotism.They hired the young son of a boe employee who by all accounts can't teach science.The principal of the school in my opinion isn't fit to be a principal.I've heard that he has attended nearly all of the Harrison machine parties and dinners.Why would a principal who doesn't live in the district attend all the machine's events if he didn't think his job depended on him taking care of machine members?If you go to Theobserver,com and you review the July 1st issue you will see that he refused to take responsibility for replacing the good teacher.He probably suspected that the kid wouldn't work out.You will also see that he forged the signature of the teacher on an evaluation.Last I heard forging someone's signature is a crime.If he can't take responsibility for replacing a teacher how is he fit to be a principal?He helped cover up the fact that 2 teachers in his school[no parent was ever told about this as far as I know} are teaching science even though they aren't state certified in science.Finally he's a machine guy who by the examples mentioned here has put the interests of the machine above the goal of educating young people.I think good people in Harrison should demand his resignation.There are plenty of people such as Dr.Duffy who would do a much better job as principal.Can you afford to have another machine guy in charge of educating your kids?

Parents in Harrison need to know that 2 veteran science teachers may not be state certified to teach the 6th to 8th grade science classes they now teach.As of this past June they were state certified to teach language arts not science.You can find out by calling the Hudson county superintendent of schools.I've been told that this is legal as long as the school can't find a state certified science teacher.The 2 teachers{one is married to a boe employee} have been teaching science in Harrison for many years.I feel the boe has violated the letter and spirit of the law because they didn't give an outstanding science teacher tenure this past June because of nepotism.They hired the young son of a boe employee who by all accounts can't teach science.The principal of the school in my opinion isn't fit to be a principal.I've heard that he has attended nearly all of the Harrison machine parties and dinners.Why would a principal who doesn't live in the district attend all the machine's events if he didn't think his job depended on him taking care of machine members?If you go to Theobserver,com and you review the July 1st issue you will see that he refused to take responsibility for replacing the good teacher.He probably suspected that the kid wouldn't work out.You will also see that he forged the signature of the teacher on an evaluation.Last I heard forging someone's signature is a crime.If he can't take responsibility for replacing a teacher how is he fit to be a principal?He helped cover up the fact that 2 teachers in his school[no parent was ever told about this as far as I know} are teaching science even though they aren't state certified in science.Finally he's a machine guy who by the examples mentioned here has put the interests of the machine above the goal of educating young people.I think good people in Harrison should demand his resignation.There are plenty of people such as Dr.Duffy who would do a much better job as principal.Can you afford to have another machine guy in charge of educating your kids?

PLEASE WRITE THE NEW JERSEY COMMISSIONER OF EDUCATION AT:

100 RIVER VIEW PLAZA

P.O. BOX 500

TRENTON NJ 08625

OR CALL 609-292-4450 OR FAX 609-777-4099

COMMISSIONER LUCILLE E. DAVY

Don't flount your feathers too much on Duffy. He most likely got where he is by who he knows. No one gets anywhere without the proper connections.

I really liked Dr. Duffy and think he was much more effective than Mr. Nascimento could ever hope to be.

What is the count on how many town councilpeople are employed by the Board of Education?

PLEASE WRITE THE NEW JERSEY COMMISSIONER OF EDUCATION AT:

100 RIVER VIEW PLAZA

P.O. BOX 500

TRENTON NJ 08625

OR CALL 609-292-4450 OR FAX 609-777-4099

COMMISSIONER LUCILLE E. DAVY

Would writing to the Commissioner actually make a difference? Can it be done anonymously so the parent's name doesn't get reported back to the school system and therefore position their child for repercussions?

I would really like to see this handled effectively on a local level and immediately. The school officials KNOW they have a big problem, especially with that **** grade teacher. They can sit in the class to observe as much as they like and when they do, there is probably a small degree of teaching going on when they are there. Do they KNOW what is happening in there when no administrators are sitting there? Ask the students. The school year is almost 1/3 over. My understanding is that there have been 2 tests and 1 homework assignment since September. Exactly what are the students going to be graded on? Time to cut their losses NOW and get someone in there who knows how to teach.

Guest Mama Mia
Would writing to the Commissioner actually make a difference? Can it be done anonymously so the parent's name doesn't get reported back to the school system and therefore position their child for repercussions?

I would really like to see this handled effectively on a local level and immediately. The school officials KNOW they have a big problem, especially with that **** grade teacher. They can sit in the class to observe as much as they like and when they do, there is probably a small degree of teaching going on when they are there. Do they KNOW what is happening in there when no administrators are sitting there? Ask the students. The school year is almost 1/3 over. My understanding is that there have been 2 tests and 1 homework assignment since September. Exactly what are the students going to be graded on? Time to cut their losses NOW and get someone in there who knows how to teach.

COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF. KEEP THE PRESSURE ON. THEY HAVE TO MAKE IT RIGHT. TOO MANY PARENTS ARE INVOLVED NOW FOR THEM TO LET IT SLIDE. THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE WATCHING THIS SITUATION. I WORK AT THE SCHOOL AND SEE THE INCOMPETENCY ON A DAILY BASIS. IT IS REALLY SHOCKING. BAD FOR THE STUDENTS, MAKING THE ADMIN LOOK LIKE INEFFECTIVE BABIES AND HURTING THE MORALE OF THE OTHER TEACHERS.

I really liked Dr. Duffy and think he was much more effective than Mr. Nascimento could ever hope to be.

What is the count on how many town councilpeople are employed by the Board of Education?

M.Dollarhand

J. Doran

F. Nascimento

J. Horanga

and Mayor McDonough also serves on the board.

NOW TELL THE HARRISON RESIDENTS HOW THESE PEOPLE CAN VOTE ON ANYTHING THAT PERTAINS TO OUR TOWN WITH A JOB HELD OVER THEIR HEADS? THIS IS A CONFLICT OF INTEREST AND UNETHICAL;

THIS IS THE REASON THAT THEY ALL VOTE I I I I I I ON EVERYTHING THEY ARE TOLD TO DO SO.

Don't forget the president who's married to a fire caption and, coincidentally, the new superintendent's cousin.

M.Dollarhand

J. Doran

F. Nascimento

J. Horanga

and Mayor McDonough also serves on the board.

NOW TELL THE HARRISON RESIDENTS HOW THESE PEOPLE CAN VOTE ON ANYTHING THAT PERTAINS TO OUR TOWN WITH A JOB HELD OVER THEIR HEADS? THIS IS A CONFLICT OF INTEREST AND UNETHICAL;

THIS IS THE REASON THAT THEY ALL VOTE I I I I I I ON EVERYTHING THEY ARE TOLD TO DO SO.

Don't forget the president who's married to a fire caption and, coincidentally, the new superintendent's cousin.

Let's not bury this topic on this discussion board. It is too important. Keep talking about it.

• 2 weeks later...
Let's not bury this topic on this discussion board. It is too important. Keep talking about it.

I asked my nephew about this teacher over Thanksgiving dinner and what I heard almost caused me to choke on my turkey. To summarize my reaction, YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. Get this clown out and get a real, certified science teacher in there who can try to make up the material that hasn't been taught during this trimester. This can not be allowed to drag on or get pushed under the carpet.

I asked my nephew about this teacher over Thanksgiving dinner and what I heard almost caused me to choke on my turkey. To summarize my reaction, YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. Get this clown out and get a real, certified science teacher in there who can try to make up the material that hasn't been taught during this trimester. This can not be allowed to drag on or get pushed under the carpet.

Talk to the Superintendent of schools, he comes in bringing changes and implementing nothing but the best for harrisons children and their future. 973-483-1619 Mr. Jim Doran, he's the one with the new office located at Washington Middle School (old High School). Maybe he can't afford to pay a real teacher after all the cash he spent on his office with marble tub and white tiger rug.

I HEARD THE SAME THING FROM MY COUSIN. THEY KNOW HE HAS TO GO, SOMEONE NEEDS TO HAVE THE GUTS TO MAKE THE RIGHT MOVE HERE BEFORE THE YEAR IS HALF OVER.

Guest Mama Mia

This situation is ridiculous. If it was a company instead of our school system, he would be fired immediately for lack of performance. Hey school officials -- if you want the kids to learn you have to give them a teacher who can teach. As far as I know, 7th graders (even the really smart ones) can't teach themselves science.

Guest hockeynut

So what it comes down to is that now there are no real science teachers in the middle school.The 2 veteran teachers who teach science are state certified as language arts teachers NOT as science teachers!!!!The nepotism poster child can't teach.I say bring back the outstanding science teacher the nepotism poster boy replaced.On 9/11 she was teaching at St Mary's HS in Jersey City across the river from the WTC. She did a great job calming kids who saw the WTC burning from their classroom windows.What teacher in Harrison has had to deal with something of that magnitude?She fought corruption in her home country only to be a victim of corruption in Harrison.All her evaluations by Doffont were good even the one that he forged her signature on.Teaching is about not just the subject you are responsible to educate young people with but invariably sharing your life experiences with those young people.This teacher has character and integrity.The best part is that she is state certified to teach science!!!!!

Guest Mama Mia
So what it comes down to is that now there are no real science teachers in the middle school.The 2 veteran teachers who teach science are state certified as language arts teachers NOT as science teachers!!!!The nepotism poster child can't teach.I say bring back the outstanding science teacher the nepotism poster boy replaced.On 9/11 she was teaching at St Mary's HS in Jersey City across the river from the WTC. She did a great job calming kids who saw the WTC burning from their classroom windows.What teacher in Harrison has had to deal with something of that magnitude?She fought corruption in her home country only to be a victim of corruption in Harrison.All her evaluations by Doffont were good even the one that he forged her signature on.Teaching is about not just the subject you are responsible to educate young people with but invariably sharing your life experiences with those young people.This teacher has character and integrity.The best part is that she is state certified to teach science!!!!!

I totally agree with you -- I heard nothing but good things about her. That she was tough but fair and the kids really learned from her. She put in a lot of extra time with kids who needed help. Does anyone know where she went and whether she & the school would consider getting her back? Having to swallow a little bit of humble pie (the administration) is a small price to pay for doing the right things for the kids.

Guest hockeynut

Get this taxpayers of Harrison because of the COBRA health care legislation passed by Obama early this year the taxpayers of Harrison are obligated to pay 65% of the former teacher's health care costs for 9 months about $1,OOO.OO a month.According to the front page article in this past Sunday's Star Ledger some in congress want to extend it to 75% and 15 months.The taxpayers of Harrison are now paying for most of this teacher's health care costs the best thing to do is to bring her back asap.

I totally agree with you -- I heard nothing but good things about her. That she was tough but fair and the kids really learned from her. She put in a lot of extra time with kids who needed help. Does anyone know where she went and whether she & the school would consider getting her back? Having to swallow a little bit of humble pie (the administration) is a small price to pay for doing the right things for the kids.

DID I hear correctly that there is a new teacher?????

Guest hockeynut

I was talking about the outstanding teacher who was replaced by the nepotism poster child.She is currently working for a private tutoring company that goes into schools and helps students that are falling behind.She has quickly risen to the top and is regarded by the president of the company as the best of the best in the company.The company doesn't offer health benefits so Harrison taxpayers are paying about one thousand dollars a month for her family's health care.This may be the biggest waste of money ever in the most corrupt town in the most corrupt state.Because of nepotism taxpayers have a teacher who can't teach science and they are obligated to pay one thousand dollars a month to the former teacher for at least 9 months and maybe 15 months.If this was a private business people would be fired asap.This is Harrison where nobody is ever held accountable for anything.Now you know why your taxes go up because of stuff like this.

Guest Mama Mia

Has the nepotism poster child actually been fired or are they just going to shift him into an "office" job and keep him on the payroll? In that case -- get this --, we'll be paying the ex-teacher's insurance (which honestly considering how she was treated, is kind of the least we can do), the nepotism poster child's salary & benefits (probably got a raise to work in the office), AND his replacement's pay. Not that I'm not thrilled that he seems to be removed from contact with the students but WOW. That's some really atrocious management.

• 2 weeks later...
What is the latest update about the new science teacher at the middle school?

I'm hearing really good things! Tough but fair and has taught more in 2 weeks than previously taught in 2 months. Kudos to those who had the backbone to make this change!

AGAIN, ITS TIME TO GET THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT INFORMED ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON IN THIS TOWN.

Guest hockeynut

The bottom line is that because of nepotism the taxpayers of Harrison are on the hook for the salaries of 2 teachers and 2/3 the cost of health benefits of a third over one teaching position.In other towns the taxpayers would demand the resignation of the principal and maybe the BOE members as well.When there is a major increase in property taxes in the near future remember this incident where the principal Doffont put the interests of the machine ahead of the goal of teaching young people and cost the taxpayers dearly.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hockeynut

I just found out that the math teacher at the middle school is the nephew of the principal at that school.My understanding after talking to someone firmly in the Christie camp is that Christie will make public the school districts that have a very high rate of nepotism among the faculty.This way before someone buys a house they can figure out that if a district like Harrison has a very high rate of nepotism the quality of education is probably not very good.