Santos and Co. Have my Vote

Guest SantosSupporter

Guest Freedom of speech
Wu-su, you've been knocking Santos for a long time on this board now. Take your personal baggage against him elsewhere.

No, he shouldn't. If he has to take his personal baggage elsewhere, then 2smart4U should be told to STFU on his rantings and ravings that have no business on this board. 2smart was soundly defended when that suggestion was made, so if he's allowed to speak his mind, then Wu-su should certainly be allowed to air his grievances with the mayor.

Guest Guestimate
How many Democrats were on the council? How many Republicans? Do YOU know how many no votes there was? You can lead a horse to water but you can`t make him drink!!!!

How many no votes were there?

John may have voted no and believed that it was a bad deal for Kearny, but how many people was he able to convince of this? An effective councilperson should be able to convince someone, anyone, regarding their position on a matter. John was unable to do that in this instance. He will be just as ineffectual as Mayor.

Guest Reality Check
How many no votes were there?

John may have voted no and believed that it was a bad deal for Kearny, but how many people was he able to convince of this? An effective councilperson should be able to convince someone, anyone, regarding their position on a matter. John was unable to do that in this instance. He will be just as ineffectual as Mayor.

Leadbeater was not on the Council in 1997 when the water deal was approved. He was on in 1996 and in 1998. Leadbeater didn't do anything to stop the Republican Mayor (Vartan) and Council in 1996 from negotiating the deal or, in 1998, Leadbeater refused to give McIntyre, Bigelow, Doyle and Sherry the 5th vote they needed to undo the water deal.

Leadbeater was not on the Council in 1997 when the water deal was approved. He was on in 1996 and in 1998. Leadbeater didn't do anything to stop the Republican Mayor (Vartan) and Council in 1996 from negotiating the deal or, in 1998, Leadbeater refused to give McIntyre, Bigelow, Doyle and Sherry the 5th vote they needed to undo the water deal.

Are you for real, You forgot that Leadbeater was the only Republican in 1998. The other Democrats that voted against the deal were Cicchino, Callaghan,Sansone and Alves

Not to mention that Lead 1 was one of the worst LL coaches ever. I still remember kids running off the field crying.

Santos doesn't even know where the little league fields are but then again why should he........HE DOESN'T EVEN LIVE IN THIS TOWN

Guest Reality Check
Are you for real, You forgot that Leadbeater was the only Republican in 1998. The other Democrats that voted against the deal were Cicchino, Callaghan,Sansone and Alves

Yes, I am for real. It's a 9-member, 4-ward Council. Using your lineup, the 1st Ward would have three Councilpersons in 1998! (Alves came on in 1999, replacing Callaghan). Leadbeater was the 5th vote in 1998, with Cicchino, Callaghan, Trueba and Sansone in turning back the McIntyre/Doyle/Bigelow effort to reverse the water deal. It would take one more election (with Santos coming on board in 1999) before the Council authorized the lawsuit to reverse the water deal.

I'll concede that Callagahan and Trueba were Democrats, but in name only. Both Callaghan and Trueba supported Republican Vartan's failed re-election effort in November 1997.

It's taken 10 years to get this far on the bat factory; and nothing is formally finalized? And why couldn't Santos decide on other development opportunities on Passaic Avenue other than the bat factory in 10 years?

A $5 million suplus in a competive election year makes me wonder how he's been juggling the budget. Increase in his previous 9 years and wow, what a miracle, Kearny has a surplus.

By doing nothing Leadbeater can accomplish more than Santos.

Sorry, my votes with Leadbeater.

No. I'm saying that if he thought it was a bad deal and voted against, it an effective councilman would have been able to convince the rest of his team or at minimum someone from his team and he did not. Therefore, he was not an effective councilman and will not be as mayor either.

have you been to a council meeting they are all robots! None of them are for the people anymore!

It's taken 10 years to get this far on the bat factory; and nothing is formally finalized? And why couldn't Santos decide on other development opportunities on Passaic Avenue other than the bat factory in 10 years?

A $5 million suplus in a competive election year makes me wonder how he's been juggling the budget. Increase in his previous 9 years and wow, what a miracle, Kearny has a surplus.

By doing nothing Leadbeater can accomplish more than Santos.

Sorry, my votes with Leadbeater.

Don’t apologize for voting the way you feel is right. It’s time for change.

My taxes have increased at a disgusting rate and I am sick of it!

Don't apologize for voting smart. Vote for the candidates who know how to handle the job. They will keep your taxes as low as they can. The proof of that is that Leadbeater and Campbell don't have any real plan to cut spending - not enough to make a difference in your taxes. Don't cost yourself money voting for people who don't know what they're doing.

have you been to a council meeting they are all robots! None of them are for the people anymore!

Even if your claim was true (which it is not), are we to believe that your answer would be to elect a Mayor who would have no shot of achieving anything when faced with tremendous opposition from a council dominated by members from the opposite party? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Guest Thinker

Then look at the reasons your taxes have gone up. You can start by asking the School Board of Education why they take 50% of your tax bill.

Also take a look at neighboring towns. Santos has done better than all except Lyndhurst.

What you really mean to say is that they're not all yelling at each other. Adults don't do things that way.

As a long time Kearny resident and taxpayer, I was impressed with Mayor Santos' accomplishments listed in his ad in this week's Observer. For anyone to say that the Mayor doesn't have Kearny's best wishes in mind should try explaining the $5 MILLION DOLLAR SURPLUS in the Town's coffers, the fact that critical services are being kept at level avoiding layoffs and the ongoing/continuing economic development in Town. The much debated lack of progress at the bat factory site seems to be near an end with the Mayor's securing of Brownstone funds from the federal government to the tune of $25 MILLION over five years. Pretty impressive!!! Mayor Santos and Co. have MY vote!!!! Mr. Leadbeater's ad still doesn't address HOW he is going to accomplish anything. I guess that he was hoping to figure that out by the time Mayor Santos is sworn in again. A time for change????? With the positive position that the Town is ACTUALLY in with a SURPLUS and all of the good work being done, WHY CHANGE?????? Mayor Santos, keep up the good work!!!!!

Congratulations to Mayor Santos on his victory tonight! Let's keep Kearny moving forward.