Ex Con Arrested

KOTW

KOTW is working on a story on the arrest of an ex-con who was arrested today for the murder of Xavier Egovail. Kearny Police arrested John DeRosa, 51, of Bloomfield today and are looking for a third suspect Edmir Sokoli, 23, of Bloomfield both charged with murder.

KOTW

Guest Jersey Journal reader
KOTW is working on a story on the arrest of an ex-con who was arrested today for the murder of Xavier Egovail. Kearny Police arrested John DeRosa, 51, of Bloomfield today and are looking for a third suspect Edmir Sokoli, 23, of Bloomfield both charged with murder.

KOTW

From NJ.com/Jersey Journal from midday:

A convicted killer was arrested this morning and charged in the shooting death of a Kearny jewelry store owner during a robbery last month, officials told The Jersey Journal.

John DeRosa, 51, who was imprisoned 14 years for a 1987 aggravated manslaughter in Essex County, is accused of gunning down 47-year-old Xavier Egoavil inside his Rachel Jewelers on Kearny Avenue at 8:45 a.m. Aug. 18 while the victim’s horrified mother looked on, officials said.

Egoavil was shot four times after wrestling with one of two robbers who then cleaned out jewelry racks in the store, officials said. Egoavil left his wife, Gina, and two children, Xavier, 10, and Ivana, 6,

Investigators were conducting surveillance at a location in Belleville this morning when they arrested DeRosa in a cab, Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said.

“This investigation was jointly conducted by the Kearny Police Department and the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office’s Homicide Squad, and it was through their cooperation that this case was made,” DeFazio said.

The prosecutor’s office has also issued a warrant for the arrest of Edmir Sokoli, 23, of Bloomfield, on the charge of murder as an accomplice, DeFazio said. Investigators believe he was the robber who entered the jewelry store with DeRosa, DeFazio said.

Earlier this month, police arrested the suspected getaway driver, 24-year-old Elvis Feratovic of Bloomfield, who is charged with felony murder.

The robbery was captured on the jewelry store's security video system, while various other security cameras also captured aspects of the crime and the suspected getaway car, officials said.

The case began to unravel when a tip from a citizen who contacted Kearny police led investigators to a Passaic County auto repair shop where they believe work was being done to make the suspected getaway car, owned by Feratovic, less recognizable, DeFazio said.

"We believe (Feratovic's) intent was to have the appearance of the car altered and in fact, to some degree, it was," DeFazio said when Feratovic was arrested.

DeRosa was in prison from Feb. 26, 1987 to May 2, 2001 for a 1987 Essex County aggravated manslaughter and a 1981 conviction for criminal mischief, according to state corrections records.

Anyone with information on Sokoli’s whereabouts is asked to call the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office’s Homicide Squad at (201) 915-1345.

KOTW

To all the idiots who cried "police weren't doing their jobs," this is the loveliest "F**K YOU" ever. I'm so glad the Kearny Police Department has been vindicated. Thanks to the hard work and dedication of the Kearny Police in conjunction with Hudson County, these clowns were brought to justice. I have compiled a few notable quotes, though, that are quite disheartening in the wake of such a tragedy.

Contained within a Star-Ledger Report on the capture of De Rosa:

"I just say bring the [murderer] to us and let us have our way with him. It's really sickening. They are animals. It almost makes you want a Charles Bronson to come," Romaniak said, referring to the actor's roll in film as a vigilante.

I ask you who is the animal? This event was tragic, and I'm sure the family would like to have their way with the murderers, but it is not our duty--those of us looking at this from a distance of a couple months and at a remove from personal grief--to answer violence with violence. These men will suffer in prison for what they've done, but it is the responsibility of the justice system, not the community at large, to punish these offenders.

These are a few user replies to the article:

I say the death penalty for all 3.

I'am tired of my tax money going to feed, clothes, medical care, cable,and other things for these criminals.

They get out and they are worse than when they went in.

DEATH PENSALTY. End of story.

New Jersey has abolished the death penalty, perhaps the only thing I can applaud Jon Corzine for being apart of. There is a lot of tax money wasted on prisons in America, and you can thank uptight drug laws for that. However, spending taxpayer dollars to keep murderers off the street is money well spent.

Carry and conceal for upright citizens. It's a jungle out there

These upright citizens you speak of already exist. They're called police officers.

Good police work. What a tragedy. We seriously need a 3-strikes-you're out law.

What a tragedy indeed. I'm pretty sure NJ does have a three strikes law though. It's not as severe as California's, but we do have one.

--------------------------------------------

I don't mean to turn this tragedy into a debate, but it's rather frustrating to see people with misinformation, and others with radical social motives engaging in the discourse that comes with such an event. The only thing we need discuss is the relief we should all be feeling that 3 violent criminals are off the street. But, also, we can't forget how little that does for the family that was destroyed by these horrible offenders.

Gunman & Accomplice Arrested for Kearny Jewelry Store Murder

Our frontpage story on the arrest of the two individuals suspected of committing the robbery of Rachel's Jewelry in Kearny.

Click on the story bar at the top of the Discussion Board page to go to the story.

KOTW

To all the idiots who cried "police weren't doing their jobs," this is the loveliest "F**K YOU" ever. I'm so glad the Kearny Police Department has been vindicated. Thanks to the hard work and dedication of the Kearny Police in conjunction with Hudson County, these clowns were brought to justice. I have compiled a few notable quotes, though, that are quite disheartening in the wake of such a tragedy.

"I just say bring the [murderer] to us and let us have our way with him. It's really sickening. They are animals. It almost makes you want a Charles Bronson to come," Romaniak said, referring to the actor's roll in film as a vigilante.

I ask you who is the animal? This event was tragic, and I'm sure the family would like to have their way with the murderers, but it is not our duty--those of us looking at this from a distance of a couple months and at a remove from personal grief--to answer violence with violence. These men will suffer in prison for what they've done, but it is the responsibility of the justice system, not the community at large, to punish these offenders.

I'am tired of my tax money going to feed, clothes, medical care, cable,and other things for these criminals.

New Jersey has abolished the death penalty, perhaps the only thing I can applaud Jon Corzine for being apart of. There is a lot of tax money wasted on prisons in America, and you can thank uptight drug laws for that. However, spending taxpayer dollars to keep murderers off the street is money well spent.

These upright citizens you speak of already exist. They're called police officers.

What a tragedy indeed. I'm pretty sure NJ does have a three strikes law though. It's not as severe as California's, but we do have one.

I don't mean to turn this tragedy into a debate, but it's rather frustrating to see people with misinformation, and others with radical social motives engaging in the discourse that comes with such an event. The only thing we need discuss is the relief we should all be feeling that 3 violent criminals are off the street. But, also, we can't forget how little that does for the family that was destroyed by these horrible offenders.

Sounds to me like someone wants to legalize MJ.

Chief Dowie and the men of the Kearny Police Dept. should be congratulated for their work in this case. Many chiefs would have said, "the prosecutor's office is handling this case, let them worry about it." Dowie kept his men working, doing everything from reviewing surveillance tapes to handing out fliers. Dozens of people were interviewed, before key witnesses came forth with crucial information. The Kearny Police Dept. did exceptional police work on this case and should be recognized for their efforts.

KOTW

you have got to be kidding me . justice ? ! these criminals will go to jail and be out just in time to collect there medicare at 65 . and the other two are young ..they will come out and continue as if nothing happened. if you feel 14 or 15 years is enough then god bless you . if this were your family or friend you would feel just the same . basically these ANIMALS are getting free room and board .. gym ..etc on our tax dollars . and of course capturing them wont bring back the dead but it sure feels great . and you know what would feel better ? the death penalty NJ needs to step it up ... if this were texas there wouldnt be a question about what had to be done . CONGRATS Kearny police dept. job well done ! and to the lady who said wish we had a modern day charles bronson . i second that motion !!!!!!!!!!!

KOTW

Congratulations to the dedication and hard work executed by the officers to capture the animals (or should I say "gentlemen" to the critics) that commited MURDER at the store of a longtime hardworking Kearny family. I agree that nothing can ease the heartbreak of the mother and father who witnessed their son's MURDER. Everyone has their own opinions as to how they wish their tax money to be spent. My opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, is that the murderer of Mr. Egovail has no human right to be fed and clothed by my hardworking tax money. This is his second MURDER. Does anyone truly believe he can be rehabilitated? As we know, we cannot advocate a vigilante movement, but I hope and pray that these three "gentlemen" are prosecuted to the fullest extent. I wonder if their families and friends are proud of them.

To the comment/ implication that Ms. Romaniak is an animal: Ms Romaniak is a lifelong resident of Kearny. She is a caring and kind person. As stated in the article, she works a few doors down from where the MURDER took place. She knows the family and the victim. She was shocked and painfully saddened by the death of a man she would see on a daily basis. The writer of the article just informed Ms. Romaniak that the murderer "had served time for another killing". Ms. Romaniak gave a "gut reaction" comment. Why was this "person' free in the first place? God Bless America and freedom of speech.

I would also like to thank the KPD and the HCP office for a job well done. I live a block from Kearny Avenue. Detectives interviewed the residents on our block on at least three seperate occasions. Thank you.

THIS IS QUITE POSSIBLY THE MOST INTELLIGENT POST EVER WRITEN ON KOTW

To the comment/ implication that Ms. Romaniak is an animal: Ms Romaniak is a lifelong resident of Kearny. She is a caring and kind person. As stated in the article, she works a few doors down from where the MURDER took place. She knows the family and the victim. She was shocked and painfully saddened by the death of a man she would see on a daily basis. The writer of the article just informed Ms. Romaniak that the murderer "had served time for another killing". Ms. Romaniak gave a "gut reaction" comment. Why was this "person' free in the first place? God Bless America and freedom of speech.

I would also like to thank the KPD and the HCP office for a job well done. I live a block from Kearny Avenue. Detectives interviewed the residents on our block on at least three seperate occasions. Thank you.

I never suggested that Romaniak be censored in any way. I don't know why you would bring up "freedom of speech." I'm just saying that I disagree with the point of view of Ms. Romaniak. She's entitled to her anger and she can express it as she pleases. However, I think that people should know that the town of Kearny is not full of people who are out for blood. It's not encouraging to hear that a murderer was let free to kill again, but that shouldn't invoke homicidal urges in those affected by such a fatal mistake on the part of the state's judicial system. Obviously this man should have been given a longer sentence in the first place, or he should have been denied parole (I don't know the circumstances surrounding his priors). This one example does not prove overall incompetence on the part of the justice system, though. It's one of many isolated incidents, yes, but I think we can agree that the best way to solve our problems and punish criminals is through the justice system. It may not always end in our complete satisfaction, but it's the civil and humane approach. It's what makes us the non-criminals, the sane, the humane, the civil. It's the simplest lesson you learn at a young age: ifyoudosomethingmeantosomebodybecausetheydidsomethingmeantoyouyourejustasmeanast

hatperson. In this situation, it's the same deal. It seems that too many people on this forum are for vigilante justice and the death penalty. Such responses make US the murderers.

I never suggested that Romaniak be censored in any way. I don't know why you would bring up "freedom of speech." I'm just saying that I disagree with the point of view of Ms. Romaniak. She's entitled to her anger and she can express it as she pleases. However, I think that people should know that the town of Kearny is not full of people who are out for blood. It's not encouraging to hear that a murderer was let free to kill again, but that shouldn't invoke homicidal urges in those affected by such a fatal mistake on the part of the state's judicial system. Obviously this man should have been given a longer sentence in the first place, or he should have been denied parole (I don't know the circumstances surrounding his priors). This one example does not prove overall incompetence on the part of the justice system, though. It's one of many isolated incidents, yes, but I think we can agree that the best way to solve our problems and punish criminals is through the justice system. It may not always end in our complete satisfaction, but it's the civil and humane approach. It's what makes us the non-criminals, the sane, the humane, the civil. It's the simplest lesson you learn at a young age: ifyoudosomethingmeantosomebodybecausetheydidsomethingmeantoyouyourejustasmeanast

hatperson. In this situation, it's the same deal. It seems that too many people on this forum are for vigilante justice and the death penalty. Such responses make US the murderers.

"Do something mean", is that what you call it? You're an ass.

Guest *Lori*

I am very happy that as adults we can agree to disagree. First of all I would like to state that I never doubted that our hardworking, intelligent police force would catch these three criminals. My response was given to the newspaper reporter after he informed me that the shooter had already murdered another person. Of course I was very angry and disheartened by this news. I have never been a person that has the attitude, as you suggest, that you do bad to me, I do bad to you. That statement is utter garbage. My question to you is would you be okay with a murderer living close to you after release from a faulty prison system? Isolated incidents?

Not as isolated as you would like to believe. Do your research.

I am very happy that as adults we can agree to disagree. First of all I would like to state that I never doubted that our hardworking, intelligent police force would catch these three criminals. My response was given to the newspaper reporter after he informed me that the shooter had already murdered another person. Of course I was very angry and disheartened by this news. I have never been a person that has the attitude, as you suggest, that you do bad to me, I do bad to you. That statement is utter garbage. My question to you is would you be okay with a murderer living close to you after release from a faulty prison system? Isolated incidents?

Not as isolated as you would like to believe. Do your research.

You don't have to explain yourself. This "ko" person is a college kid living with his/her parents without any clue to reality. Of course these are not isolated incidents. It may be an isolated incident in Kearny, but nationwide the statistics are horrible. That's why prisons are full of repeat offenders.

What you did suggest is that she is an animal. You too, are entitled to your opinion. Knowing her personally, I was offended by the accusation. I believe most people suggest vigilante justice out of anger and do not really mean it. You are entiltled to your opinion on the death penalty also, however it is acceptable, legal means of appling justice in other states. You have to admit , there is an extremely high percentage of repeat offenders out there, so our justice system and penalties for crimes committed do not deter MOST criminals.

You don't have to explain yourself. This "ko" person is a college kid living with his/her parents without any clue to reality. Of course these are not isolated incidents. It may be an isolated incident in Kearny, but nationwide the statistics are horrible. That's why prisons are full of repeat offenders.

I said it was one of many isolated incidents. You can go back and check. I don't think me living at home or my age has anything to do with my knowledge of such incidents. I've never been a victim of violent crime. I'm thankful for that. I'm sure many of you haven't either. How does that make one's opinion invalid though? I'm sick of people calling me sheltered. It's annoying. It's true, but it doesn't have anything to do with my credibility as a thinking person with strong opinions. Thanks for bringing that into this debate, though. That was really mature.

I hope I never leave the house and get mugged, jumped or, the worst, violently killed. I hope that never happens for my sake and the sake of my family. I'm sure what the friends and family of the jewelry store owner have gone through is the worst pain in the world.

My intention was never to insult the woman who was quoted in the paper. I was trying to offer an alternative view point that had not been addressed in the article I read on nj.com. I'm sorry, Lori. Circumstances considered, your statement is completely understandable. However, like I mentioned, it was the only quote from the public that found its way into the NJ.com article I read. I didn't think your voice was the voice of a town.

What you did suggest is that she is an animal. You too, are entitled to your opinion. Knowing her personally, I was offended by the accusation. I believe most people suggest vigilante justice out of anger and do not really mean it. You are entiltled to your opinion on the death penalty also, however it is acceptable, legal means of appling justice in other states. You have to admit , there is an extremely high percentage of repeat offenders out there, so our justice system and penalties for crimes committed do not deter MOST criminals.

I already posted a comment apologizing to Lori that is yet to be posted. Thank you for being civil with me even though, as you have mentioned, I did imply that she was an animal. That said, I was never intending to call her an animal. It was just part of the rhetoric of my reply. I don't often discuss issues on this page with bullet points. There's a lot of rhetoric and hyperbole in many of my replies. I once posted a reply that was actually a short story. Yeah, that's lame, I know, but I just wanted to give you an example. Sorry to you as well.

Charles Bronson? Psht. It's too bad Dexter isn't working this case.

I said it was one of many isolated incidents. You can go back and check. I don't think me living at home or my age has anything to do with my knowledge of such incidents. I've never been a victim of violent crime. I'm thankful for that. I'm sure many of you haven't either. How does that make one's opinion invalid though? I'm sick of people calling me sheltered. It's annoying. It's true, but it doesn't have anything to do with my credibility as a thinking person with strong opinions. Thanks for bringing that into this debate, though. That was really mature.

I hope I never leave the house and get mugged, jumped or, the worst, violently killed. I hope that never happens for my sake and the sake of my family. I'm sure what the friends and family of the jewelry store owner have gone through is the worst pain in the world.

My intention was never to insult the woman who was quoted in the paper. I was trying to offer an alternative view point that had not been addressed in the article I read on nj.com. I'm sorry, Lori. Circumstances considered, your statement is completely understandable. However, like I mentioned, it was the only quote from the public that found its way into the NJ.com article I read. I didn't think your voice was the voice of a town.

Your age and living at home has everything to do with it. You have no credibilty because you haven't earned it. Just look at your statement; "I said it was one of many isolated incidents" and pepole can tell you're not making sense.

Your age and living at home has everything to do with it. You have no credibilty because you haven't earned it. Just look at your statement; "I said it was one of many isolated incidents" and pepole can tell you're not making sense.

This is called ageism. It's a real type of discrimination.

This is called ageism. It's a real type of discrimination.

You say that like it's a bad thing but there is sound reasoning behind it. Here's a few examples of your so called ageism; In the United States a person must be at least 35 to be President or Vice President, 30 to be a Senator, or 25 to be a Representative, as specified in the U.S. Constitution.