Letter to Kearny residents

Guest guest

Just read Mr. Leadbeaters article in the Observer and was quite taken aback. There is someone who opens his mouth for us taxpayers. Keep it up. I look forward to seeing your plans detailed. You stated just what I was feeling. Thank you

Just read Mr. Leadbeaters article in the Observer and was quite taken aback. There is someone who opens his mouth for us taxpayers. Keep it up. I look forward to seeing your plans detailed. You stated just what I was feeling. Thank you

Here is the advertisment. The Observer probably wouldn't publish it as a Letter to the Editor.

An Open Letter to Voters of Kearny

I believe OUR town needs new leadership! For the past 10 years, taxes have continuously gone up. It amazes me that because there is an election for Mayor, we supposedly saw a 2% decrease. I say supposedly because once again Kearny has deferred making the pension payments for our police and firemen. To me this is nothing more than a gimmick. When Republicans lost control of the council in 1997 the tax rate was $52.02 per thousand. Today that rate is $89.47 per thousand. So your taxes have been raised 72% in that time span. To explain this in a simpler form, if your home was assessed at $150,000 your taxes would have been $7803 in 1997. Today that same $150,000 assessed home the taxes are $13,425. Enough is enough. Just look around town today at all the vote getting jobs being done. Why wern't our streets repaved in the summer, when children were off from school and the town was less congested? My guess is that it was done now for effect and votes. Over the next 7 weeks I will be discussing MY vision and plans to REDUCE our taxes. With your help I believe WE can achive these goals. If you would like to be part of OUR team call me at 201-997-3989 or 201-297-0738

Thank You,

John Leadbeater

Paid for by Leadbeater for Mayor Campaign

Here is the advertisment. The Observer probably wouldn't publish it as a Letter to the Editor.

I believe OUR town needs new leadership! For the past 10 years, taxes have continuously gone up. It amazes me that because there is an election for Mayor, we supposedly saw a 2% decrease. I say supposedly because once again Kearny has deferred making the pension payments for our police and firemen. To me this is nothing more than a gimmick. When Republicans lost control of the council in 1997 the tax rate was $52.02 per thousand. Today that rate is $89.47 per thousand. So your taxes have been raised 72% in that time span. To explain this in a simpler form, if your home was assessed at $150,000 your taxes would have been $7803 in 1997. Today that same $150,000 assessed home the taxes are $13,425. Enough is enough. Just look around town today at all the vote getting jobs being done. Why wern't our streets repaved in the summer, when children were off from school and the town was less congested? My guess is that it was done now for effect and votes. Over the next 7 weeks I will be discussing MY vision and plans to REDUCE our taxes. With your help I believe WE can achive these goals. If you would like to be part of OUR team call me at 201-997-3989 or 201-297-0738

Thank You,

John Leadbeater

You can tell just from how poorly this is written that Leadbetter isn't smart enough to be mayor. For example, was there a 2% decrease or not?

"all the vote jobs being done" - what does that mean?

He promises to say how he will lower our taxes. We'll see.

Thank You,

John Leadbeater

Wow - did Celeste Regal write this? It's filled with grammar errors, misspellings, and nonsense. I've highlighted some of them above.

Yes - this guy will get my vote. I want a person who can't find his way to a coherent sentence to be Mayor. Give me a break.

Is Regal going to be his Deputy Mayor?

Thank You,

John Leadbeater

There must be some mistake, I know John and his cell phone number is 201-294-0738

Thank You,

John Leadbeater

I don't know, man. Did this guy provide any solutions here? He just gave us some statistics that are quite fishy, and don't take into account state and federal trends. To be honest, I don't pay property taxes, so I tend not to vote in municipal elections.

You should be taken aback by Leads spelling and grammar.

Guest 2smart4u
I don't know, man. Did this guy provide any solutions here? He just gave us some statistics that are quite fishy, and don't take into account state and federal trends. To be honest, I don't pay property taxes, so I tend not to vote in municipal elections.

Are you still living in your parents basement? Isn't it time you got a job?

I work part-time and go to school full time at your alma mater. i'm 22. i'm grateful that my parents let me live with them. jerk.

O wow this is a first 2dumb4word is actually talking about local politics lol that funny since he doesn’t give a crap about this town and posting useless threads. If he's voting for the other guy damn you know where my vote going to be :-) See you in the next 4 years Santo

[Leadbeater may not be the brightest speaker but then again neither was Danny Sansone or Pete McIntyre. Lets give him a chance. He can't do any worse than our current mayor has done for years.

You should be taken aback by Leads spelling and grammar.

Why are you being like this? At least John is willing to take a stand for the people of Kearny. Anyone can make spelling and grammar errors.

[Leadbeater may not be the brightest speaker but then again neither was Danny Sansone or Pete McIntyre. Lets give him a chance. He can't do any worse than our current mayor has done for years.

McIntyre is a good comparison. He never expected to win, had no idea what he was doing and couldn't wait to get out after one mercifully brief term.

You may not agree with Santos but he has done a good job. Tax rates are up all over New Jersey. We went over this more than a year ago.

Don't think for a second that Leadbetter can't cause serious problems. Santos runs the town well. It's not his fault that the taxes are up. You don't put a good man out of the job.

Why are you being like this? At least John is willing to take a stand for the people of Kearny. Anyone can make spelling and grammar errors.

Yeah, but anyone shouldn't be mayor. We need someone who knows what he's doing and stands up for the people of Kearny, like Santos.

Guest Give him a chance

Give John a chance! He can do no worse than the clown that has been here too long. People have been use to the same old same old and not paying attention to actually what is going on. Change can be good, let's see what he can do.

Give John a chance! He can do no worse than the clown that has been here too long. People have been use to the same old same old and not paying attention to actually what is going on. Change can be good, let's see what he can do.

You are absolutely dead wrong. He could easily do worse.

In fact, most of our mayors have done worse.

The point he made loud and clear. My taxes have almost doubled in a little over 12 years. I know it because it is hurting me in my pocket. When is it going to stop? Santos doesn't care he doesn't pay taxes.

The reason Al has been mayor so long is that we keep voting for him. We will continue to keep voting for him until you give us a better opponent for him. It sure as hell ain't Leadbetter.

Guest Get The Lead Out
The reason Al has been mayor so long is that we keep voting for him. We will continue to keep voting for him until you give us a better opponent for him. It sure as hell ain't Leadbetter.

Santos runs the town like a business man. With John its about Ego / Hobbie.

The point he made loud and clear. My taxes have almost doubled in a little over 12 years. I know it because it is hurting me in my pocket. When is it going to stop? Santos doesn't care he doesn't pay taxes.

That's a cheap shot at Mayor Santos, who could easily make more money in a private law practice. He has served as our mayor because he cares about Kearny. If you would take the time to get to know him, you would know that.

You don't seem to want to hear the fact that local officials in a small town like Kearny usually have little or no control over taxes. Leadbetter says he will offer specific ideas how our taxes can be lowered. Let's see if he does it.

And don't kid yourself. With an incompetent mayor who can't even write a simple advertisement properly, your taxes could easily go higher.

How about voting for someone who lowered your taxes {Leadbetter} as opposed to someone who continues to raise them{Santos}. Every year Santos plays game with the budget. Sorry Mr. Mayor, you've run out of quick fixes. No more money for you to take. By the way, when are you going to pay taxes.

I'm not sure what is worse - the fact that he sent this letter in before having someone proofread it or the fact that The Observer actually printed it before correcting the errors themselves.

We shouldn't be too surprised though. After all, it is The Observer.

Everything had double in cost over the past 12 years? Do you really think your taxes would stay stagnent?

We finally have someone willing to step up and hold the mayor accountable and all you do is put Leadbeater down. Why? The mayor has done nothing other than getting quick fixes from the state or the county to offset his budget woes.

Guest Studies and Observations
I'm not sure what is worse - the fact that he sent this letter in before having someone proofread it or the fact that The Observer actually printed it before correcting the errors themselves.

We shouldn't be too surprised though. After all, it is The Observer.

Wait a minute, it is the Observer we're talking about here after all..We can't be certain that it wasnt written correctly before those morons got their hands on it after all.