Emergency plans?

Guest Guest

Does Harrison have any kind of Reverse 911 call plan to notify residents in case of an emergency? I'd be particularly interested to know about the Reverse 911 plan in case of a chemical leak from one of the factories in South Kearny. Have the schools & daycare centers been provided with any kind of plan/notification in case of emergency? If there is such a reverse notification system, how do you sign up for it? Also, are there any buildings in town that would be considered to be shelters in case of a blackout, flooding, terrorist issues etc.. I'd hate to think we have to rely on the little truck with the speaker on top of it to find out what to do. If emergency notification would be posted on Channel 35, what provisions are there for the many people who have sattelite tvs and do not have Channel 35? Just wondering.

Does Harrison have any kind of Reverse 911 call plan to notify residents in case of an emergency? I'd be particularly interested to know about the Reverse 911 plan in case of a chemical leak from one of the factories in South Kearny. Have the schools & daycare centers been provided with any kind of plan/notification in case of emergency? If there is such a reverse notification system, how do you sign up for it? Also, are there any buildings in town that would be considered to be shelters in case of a blackout, flooding, terrorist issues etc.. I'd hate to think we have to rely on the little truck with the speaker on top of it to find out what to do. If emergency notification would be posted on Channel 35, what provisions are there for the many people who have sattelite tvs and do not have Channel 35? Just wondering.

Just call the Mayor he's got all the answers.

Guest Harrison Senior

Barney, Barney. Just can't stop trying to make issues out of non-issues, you are one sorry puppy.

Barney, Barney. Just can't stop trying to make issues out of non-issues, you are one sorry puppy.

I don't know if the writer was Barney or not but it is a darn good question. Anybody have a legitimate answer?

You are most likely in error thinking Barney wrote that quote. I myself would bet 100 to 1 that this time it was not Barney. But I'm sure we will hear from Barney very soon.

Guest The Most Interesting Man
I don't know if the writer was Barney or not but it is a darn good question. Anybody have a legitimate answer?
It's Barney! Must have been sent to a Police Training School or watched "NCIS" on TV. Learned a new phrase "Reverse 911 Plan" Now he' is back from his training and is throwing his artificial knowledge around! Trying to impress Chief Gadhafi? What a jackass!

"Stay Thirsty My Friends!"

It's Barney! Must have been sent to a Police Training School or watched "NCIS" on TV. Learned a new phrase "Reverse 911 Plan" Now he' is back from his training and is throwing his artificial knowledge around! Trying to impress Chief Gadhafi? What a jackass!

What a shame you have to interject your obvious ignorance into every conversation on this board. It discourages the regular people on this site from having real conversations. Really not necessary and you just aren't that interesting, kind of pathetic actually.

you are such a waste of time and boring. GET OFF THE BOARD AND READ A BOOK

Fire Chief/Clubhouse King Dollarhan gets an additonal $15,000.00 to $20,000.00 on top of his already outrageous raise to be the towns F.E.M.A. Coordinator. This has been for years. Are you telling me that he never made an emergency plan as mandated by the state and available to the citizens? Just figures, all about more money and no work. IMO, this is a crime and an outrage. Maybe the secret plan is to discreetly tell the "in" people to take off to McMoles Point Pleanat compound before alerting any citizens. Very poor, very sad, very Harrison.

Guest Harrison Senior
Fire Chief/Clubhouse King Dollarhan gets an additonal $15,000.00 to $20,000.00 on top of his already outrageous raise to be the towns F.E.M.A. Coordinator. This has been for years. Are you telling me that he never made an emergency plan as mandated by the state and available to the citizens? Just figures, all about more money and no work. IMO, this is a crime and an outrage. Maybe the secret plan is to discreetly tell the "in" people to take off to McMoles Point Pleanat compound before alerting any citizens. Very poor, very sad, very Harrison.

Barney, I think if you used all this time you spend on your computer and instead studied for the sergeants exam you might make something of yourself.

It might help your anger management issues as well.

• 3 weeks later...

The town does not have a reverse 911 system. The Board of Education has an autodial system that is used to notify parents of school closing and important events. We have the new siren system by Quick Check, which when it is fully functional will provide general notification, the cable channel, numerous radio stations and of course, cops in patrol cars on the PA system. It’s not a perfect system but adequate enough to inform most people of a potential hazard coming our way.

As for your concern about a chemical release from South Kearny we are in the dispersion zone for Kuehne Chemical's worst case scenario but we are up gradient and most of the time up-wind. I mean to say that chlorine travels with the wind and is heavier that air. Since the prevailing winds are from the west and since we are up hill from the plant, I think we are safe. A greater source of hazardous materials would be trucks traveling on the Turnpike and 280.

Harold Stahl is the Harrison’s Emergency Management Coordinator. He is a retired Fire Chief from Rahway and very competent. And he does it for free and as do the other members of the Emergency Management Committee.

In this past week observer there was a note about Kearny's Reverse 911 system being implemented and tested. You will even be able to go to Town Hall and register your Cell phone... it was noticed that chemical releases would be a reason to use it as well as other town wide emergencies... Good job Kearny

The town does not have a reverse 911 system. The Board of Education has an autodial system that is used to notify parents of school closing and important events. We have the new siren system by Quick Check, which when it is fully functional will provide general notification, the cable channel, numerous radio stations and of course, cops in patrol cars on the PA system. It’s not a perfect system but adequate enough to inform most people of a potential hazard coming our way.

As for your concern about a chemical release from South Kearny we are in the dispersion zone for Kuehne Chemical's worst case scenario but we are up gradient and most of the time up-wind. I mean to say that chlorine travels with the wind and is heavier that air. Since the prevailing winds are from the west and since we are up hill from the plant, I think we are safe. A greater source of hazardous materials would be trucks traveling on the Turnpike and 280.

Harold Stahl is the Harrison’s Emergency Management Coordinator. He is a retired Fire Chief from Rahway and very competent. And he does it for free and as do the other members of the Emergency Management Committee.

Let's hope Kearnys is competent, I thought Harrison's was TK Dolaghan; now I'm worried!