Ticket info/privacy

Guest ticket holder

Guest ticket holder

Hopefully someone can answer this question.

I recently received a moving violation while in Kearny. Several weeks after receiving this ticket I have been bombarded with letters from local attorneys looking to represent me if I choose to please not guilty. First off how do they get my information everything from my name and address to my drivers license number. In today's day and age how does this not break the "privacy act"? It's apparent that the town sells this information for profit. Who is benefiting from this and where is that money going?

I recently received a moving violation while in Kearny. Several weeks after receiving this ticket I have been bombarded with letters from local attorneys looking to represent me if I choose to please not guilty. First off how do they get my information everything from my name and address to my drivers license number. In today's day and age how does this not break the "privacy act"? It's apparent that the town sells this information for profit. Who is benefiting from this and where is that money going?

The town does not sell this information for profit. Its called O.P.R.A, the Open Public Records Act. Its legal "ambulance chasing." Lawyers look at police blotters, the court clerks ledger, etc. by filing requests for access. Then they "chase" individuals for representation.

The summons' is a public record, there is no privacy to it. And as for your license, the number is nothing more then a code for you first middle and last name, month and year of birth, and your eye color. Stop being paranoid. :rolleyes:

Guest ticket holder

First off I'm not being paranoid. Just didn't like receiving letters from lawyers I didn't reach out to. As for the license numbers, yes I know what it consist of and there is more to it then name, dob and eye color. Not something any Joe Smoe would know so apparantly that information was given out.

People have already anwsered the public records part. Just to assure you the town receives no money for this, aside from the money generated from your ticket. When I got a moving violation in West Caldwell I also was bombared with legal requests. Working at a lawfirm myself, I knew there was little a lawyer can do that any average citizen can't do when it comes to a simple moving violation in court. I went on my own, pleaded down and recieved no points.

lawyers go to the police department every week and pick up packages containing all the summonses information given out that week. Then they do their mailings..they pay the police department the fee for making the copies and packaging it. every police department does it the same way, some charge more or less money however..