Restoring democracy

Guest Paul

Over this past summer, we have been "treated" to perhaps the most vicious and dishonest political campaign I have ever seen. The American people are at odds with each other, divided by an ideological line. While the left is occasionally guilty of intemperance and intolerance, most of the vitriol and most of the dishonesty is coming from the right. Day after day, it's something else: non-existent death panels, rationing systems, birthers, deathers, you name it, all of it promoted by an organized right wing media machine. Their goals are clearly understood and the pursuit of their mission is uniform: defeat the "enemy" at all costs, say whatever it takes whether it's true or not. Truth doesn't matter at all to these people. Liberal media, my eye. Just yesterday I received an e-mail promoting an urban myth against Henry Louis Gates. I've received dozens of these from friends and family over the past couple years - they don't bother to check them for accuracy. I do the fact-checking and respond with appropriate links. Glenn Beck just did an utterly insane rant about statues and inlays at Rockefeller Center in New York. That was preceded by an inane piece promoting - I guess - some sort of conspiracy theory against the President of the United States. (Google "Oligarhy" - he misspelled it, not I.)

This would be OK if had some basis in fact but it doesn't. The political right in this country has ceased almost entirely to care about the facts. In my opinion, this tragic trend began with Ronald Reagan, who demonstrated that politicians could succeed independent of reality. As that strategy continued to succeed, it took over the political population - it's an example of evolution in a social system. So day after day the right mongers fear by playing on popular prejudices and ignorance. It doesn't take much to understand what a tearful white woman means when she cries at a public meeting about how she wants "her" America back. Part of this is the inability or unwillingness of a significant segment of our population to accept the fact of a black president.

We are in big trouble, in my opinion. Religious leaders should be banding together to address this, but they are not. Democratic leaders in Congress should be saying something about it, as a group, but they are not. Responsible Republican officials should be saying something about it, but they are not. (Where is George H. W. Bush?) Educators, civic leaders: where are they?

We are seeing the erosion of our system of government. In the end, if the American people don't come to the political system with honesty and good faith, the system will collapse. It's enough trouble on its own terms. I hate to say it, but "2smart4u" is not dealing in good faith. You can't ignore all the facts and still have a meaningful dialogue.

This has to stop. Truly, I have never been so afraid for my country's future as I am watching this. This goes to the core of our system. Responsible citizens must act. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Guest 2smart4u
Over this past summer, we have been "treated" to perhaps the most vicious and dishonest political campaign I have ever seen. The American people are at odds with each other, divided by an ideological line. While the left is occasionally guilty of intemperance and intolerance, most of the vitriol and most of the dishonesty is coming from the right. Day after day, it's something else: non-existent death panels, rationing systems, birthers, deathers, you name it, all of it promoted by an organized right wing media machine. Their goals are clearly understood and the pursuit of their mission is uniform: defeat the "enemy" at all costs, say whatever it takes whether it's true or not. Truth doesn't matter at all to these people. Liberal media, my eye. Just yesterday I received an e-mail promoting an urban myth against Henry Louis Gates. I've received dozens of these from friends and family over the past couple years - they don't bother to check them for accuracy. I do the fact-checking and respond with appropriate links. Glenn Beck just did an utterly insane rant about statues and inlays at Rockefeller Center in New York. That was preceded by an inane piece promoting - I guess - some sort of conspiracy theory against the President of the United States. (Google "Oligarhy" - he misspelled it, not I.)

This would be OK if had some basis in fact but it doesn't. The political right in this country has ceased almost entirely to care about the facts. In my opinion, this tragic trend began with Ronald Reagan, who demonstrated that politicians could succeed independent of reality. As that strategy continued to succeed, it took over the political population - it's an example of evolution in a social system. So day after day the right mongers fear by playing on popular prejudices and ignorance. It doesn't take much to understand what a tearful white woman means when she cries at a public meeting about how she wants "her" America back. Part of this is the inability or unwillingness of a significant segment of our population to accept the fact of a black president.

We are in big trouble, in my opinion. Religious leaders should be banding together to address this, but they are not. Democratic leaders in Congress should be saying something about it, as a group, but they are not. Responsible Republican officials should be saying something about it, but they are not. (Where is George H. W. Bush?) Educators, civic leaders: where are they?

We are seeing the erosion of our system of government. In the end, if the American people don't come to the political system with honesty and good faith, the system will collapse. It's enough trouble on its own terms. I hate to say it, but "2smart4u" is not dealing in good faith. You can't ignore all the facts and still have a meaningful dialogue.

This has to stop. Truly, I have never been so afraid for my country's future as I am watching this. This goes to the core of our system. Responsible citizens must act. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Give me a freakin' break. "While the left may be occasionally guilty of intemperance and intolerance"? Would you call the vicious, incessant attacks against Palin and her family intemperate? I'd call them ugly, brutal, mean-spirited and vicious. And that's just one example.

Here's another. Conservative Ann Coulter was shouted down and had pies thrown at her at Columbia U. This happens regularly on campuses all accross the U.S.

When's the last time a liberal speaker has been treated like that? (clue: less than once).

I agree this has got to stop. But don't blame the right for all the vitriol, the democratic party has been highjacked by the far left. It is they who attack verbally and physically conservative speakers.

Until those on the far left start acting civilized I don't see this getting better.

Give me a freakin' break. "While the left may be occasionally guilty of intemperance and intolerance"? Would you call the vicious, incessant attacks against Palin and her family intemperate? I'd call them ugly, brutal, mean-spirited and vicious. And that's just one example.

Here's another. Conservative Ann Coulter was shouted down and had pies thrown at her at Columbia U. This happens regularly on campuses all accross the U.S.

When's the last time a liberal speaker has been treated like that? (clue: less than once).

I agree this has got to stop. But don't blame the right for all the vitriol, the democratic party has been highjacked by the far left. It is they who attack verbally and physically conservative speakers.

Until those on the far left start acting civilized I don't see this getting better.

Palin was mocked and laughed at because she is a fool, completely unprepared for the vice presidency. The attacks were not vicious. They were true. And if she didn't want her family discussed, she shouldn't have trotted them out on stage.

Coulter is one of the right's most vicious attack dogs and hardly has any ground for complaint. If students at Columbia U did what you describe, then they were wrong. But you're not seeing that from the left day after day, like you are from the radical right.

Don't try to excuse your behavior by saying that someone else started it.

The problem has already been illustrated just by these few posts. The content of the discussion gets lost because people have chosen sides. The goal ends up being the defense of one's own opinion, not any real attempt to reach common ground based on shared values.

Guest 2smart4u
Palin was mocked and laughed at because she is a fool, completely unprepared for the vice presidency. The attacks were not vicious. They were true. And if she didn't want her family discussed, she shouldn't have trotted them out on stage.

Coulter is one of the right's most vicious attack dogs and hardly has any ground for complaint. If students at Columbia U did what you describe, then they were wrong. But you're not seeing that from the left day after day, like you are from the radical right.

Don't try to excuse your behavior by saying that someone else started it.

Thank you for proving my point.

Thank you for proving my point.

Only it doesn't prove your point. The radical right distorts and denies the truth, unlike those who pointed out that Palin was unqualified. Just because there are some bad actors on the left doesn't mean that the right is justified in systematically lying or in disrupting the public dialogue.

The problem has already been illustrated just by these few posts. The content of the discussion gets lost because people have chosen sides. The goal ends up being the defense of one's own opinion, not any real attempt to reach common ground based on shared values.

That is exactly the problem, Paul. You can't have meaningful dialogue if people on one side are unwilling to listen to the viewpoints of people on the other side.

I am obviously a committed Democrat but some of my very best friends are Republicans. We disagree on most things political but the reason we remain friends is because we respect other points of view. We may not agree but we don't attack and seek to destroy each other.

Another big problem these days is that moderates (I consider myself one of them) are vilified by the fringes of their own parties-both parties. I could never run for elected office as things stand now because I, for all of my Democratic leanings, would be targeted by the far-left wing of my own party. How sad is that!

And while "2smart" has somewhat of a point that the fringes of both parties are guilty of attacks, the fact is that the recent attacks from the far-right are just cruel. They're mean and they are outright lies. They are meant to scare the hell out of people and, thus far, it's working.

Some of my Republican friends are shocked at what is happening. These are reasonable, intelligent people who are appalled by the myths of death panels, the scare tactics of the far-right, etc. Don't get me wrong - they don't like the health care proposal but not for the reasons being propagated by this media machine. They don't like it because of its costs and because the plan itself has not been explained as thoroughly as they would like. Those are legitimate gripes. Dare I say that if the far-left is reading this forum! But it's the truth. It will cost a lot of money and the President has not explained it as well as he needs to. He needs to sell this program because it is painfully obvious that Pelosi cannot. Why he is counting on a Congress with an approval rating in the 20's to sell this plan to the people is beyond me.

I am just as concerned about deficits as anyone else. But the truth of the matter is that things cost money.

I'm not sure where all this is going to end up but I do know that if people aren't willing to work together, nothing will happen at all. And America is better than that!

I just noticed that there is a decent front-page article in today's Star Ledger about the fall of true bipartisanship. Bob Dole is one of the article's main sources. Check it out. It's called "In D.C., middle ground an all-but-mythical land." It's a reprint of a story that appeared in yesterday's Washington Post.

I think it fits nicely with this discussion.

Paul, you unbelievable ignoramus!! Have you not also chosen a side? You act as if you are objective, and all others are partisans. You are a partisan yourself, you are blinded by an ideology which will not allow you to see it.

I think that it would help if there were more examples, and if more visibility were given to those examples, of what happens when the opposing sides do engage in calm rational discussion. It does happen. This would set an example that there is a better way, that it is possible to egage in discussion rather than shouting matches (or sometimes worse). It would counteract each side's demonization of the other by revealing that if you can get past the anger, and if you can ever see around or hear over the noisy "in your face" extremists, there are reasonable people to be found.

I don't know whether the dearth of such examples is because they're genuinely rare, or just because lack of heated conflict isn't conducive to making the news or generating viral videos. Maybe this is something that, in the present political climate, can only happen in small gatherings where there aren't enough belligerent hecklers to feed off each other. But, regardless, here's one example of what can happen when people aren't shouting down the speaker or each other:

I know that there are some who post here who pretty much despise Senator Franken, but they'd have to engage in some pretty serious self-deception to not acknowledge that he handled that with a good deal of class and intelligence. And the protesters deserve credit as well. That kind of dialog would have been impossible in a room full of hecklers.

That is exactly the problem, Paul. You can't have meaningful dialogue if people on one side are unwilling to listen to the viewpoints of people on the other side.

I am obviously a committed Democrat but some of my very best friends are Republicans. We disagree on most things political but the reason we remain friends is because we respect other points of view. We may not agree but we don't attack and seek to destroy each other.

Another big problem these days is that moderates (I consider myself one of them) are vilified by the fringes of their own parties-both parties. I could never run for elected office as things stand now because I, for all of my Democratic leanings, would be targeted by the far-left wing of my own party. How sad is that!

And while "2smart" has somewhat of a point that the fringes of both parties are guilty of attacks, the fact is that the recent attacks from the far-right are just cruel. They're mean and they are outright lies. They are meant to scare the hell out of people and, thus far, it's working.

Some of my Republican friends are shocked at what is happening. These are reasonable, intelligent people who are appalled by the myths of death panels, the scare tactics of the far-right, etc. Don't get me wrong - they don't like the health care proposal but not for the reasons being propagated by this media machine. They don't like it because of its costs and because the plan itself has not been explained as thoroughly as they would like. Those are legitimate gripes. Dare I say that if the far-left is reading this forum! But it's the truth. It will cost a lot of money and the President has not explained it as well as he needs to. He needs to sell this program because it is painfully obvious that Pelosi cannot. Why he is counting on a Congress with an approval rating in the 20's to sell this plan to the people is beyond me.

I am just as concerned about deficits as anyone else. But the truth of the matter is that things cost money.

I'm not sure where all this is going to end up but I do know that if people aren't willing to work together, nothing will happen at all. And America is better than that!

I hope we are better than that. We have been previously Time will tell whether we still are.

You're right, there are serious issues to be discussed regarding our health care system. Maybe Obama's address to Congress on Wednesday evening can set a new tone. Either way, it's time for Congress to pass a bill. Health care is a major issue but we have other issues that need attention, too.

Paul, you unbelievable ignoramus!! Have you not also chosen a side? You act as if you are objective, and all others are partisans. You are a partisan yourself, you are blinded by an ideology which will not allow you to see it.

You're not understanding my point. I have chosen sides on many political issues and I have chosen a party (Democratic). But to take that last example, I think I've acknowledged instances when the Democratic party has gotten it wrong and instances when the Republican party has gotten it right, or at least had a good point.

Too often people choose sides not according to the facts but according to the position of their chosen party or, more often I think, according to where the issue falls on an ideological continuum. You can see this when people make their arguments. When many people choose a side on an issue, they will cite anything that seems to support it without much regard for its underlying accuracy; meanwhile, they will demand clear and convincing proof of anything that tends to undermine their position. That's not judging objectively; it's choosing a side and sticking with it regardless of the evidence.

A couple weeks ago when I was on vacation, I had a discussion about labor issues with my brother-in-law, who is very far to the right. We have had other discussions that didn't accomplish much, but in this latest discussion he made some excellent points, I acknowledged them and suggested what kinds of legislation would address the problems he had raised. In the main, we agreed. That is possible if people listen to each other.

In stark contrast to that, a group of people are railing against a video the President is going to make, which is to be shown to schoolchildren as they begin their school year. This would have been unheard of regarding any previous president. The idea that a sitting president would be treated with such contempt would have horrified the American people when I was a boy. Quite simply, tens of millions of Americans refuse to accept the outcome of the latest election, and in particular seem not to accept the fact that a black man is our President. So a simple address reminding children of the importance of a good education is met with false and intemperate comments, and scurrilous comparisons to Hitler. To the people making these attacks, the facts simply don't matter. They hate Obama and everything they think he stands for, and every comment is guided by that alone.

If you are the same "Loki" who has posted here before, I know you well enough to know that you have an ideology. People can judge for themselves whether I am too blind to see my own or whether you just don't see what I am telling you.

Guest 2smart4u
You're not understanding my point. I have chosen sides on many political issues and I have chosen a party (Democratic). But to take that last example, I think I've acknowledged instances when the Democratic party has gotten it wrong and instances when the Republican party has gotten it right, or at least had a good point.

Too often people choose sides not according to the facts but according to the position of their chosen party or, more often I think, according to where the issue falls on an ideological continuum. You can see this when people make their arguments. When many people choose a side on an issue, they will cite anything that seems to support it without much regard for its underlying accuracy; meanwhile, they will demand clear and convincing proof of anything that tends to undermine their position. That's not judging objectively; it's choosing a side and sticking with it regardless of the evidence.

A couple weeks ago when I was on vacation, I had a discussion about labor issues with my brother-in-law, who is very far to the right. We have had other discussions that didn't accomplish much, but in this latest discussion he made some excellent points, I acknowledged them and suggested what kinds of legislation would address the problems he had raised. In the main, we agreed. That is possible if people listen to each other.

In stark contrast to that, a group of people are railing against a video the President is going to make, which is to be shown to schoolchildren as they begin their school year. This would have been unheard of regarding any previous president. The idea that a sitting president would be treated with such contempt would have horrified the American people when I was a boy. Quite simply, tens of millions of Americans refuse to accept the outcome of the latest election, and in particular seem not to accept the fact that a black man is our President. So a simple address reminding children of the importance of a good education is met with false and intemperate comments, and scurrilous comparisons to Hitler. To the people making these attacks, the facts simply don't matter. They hate Obama and everything they think he stands for, and every comment is guided by that alone.

If you are the same "Loki" who has posted here before, I know you well enough to know that you have an ideology. People can judge for themselves whether I am too blind to see my own or whether you just don't see what I am telling you.

Here's some no-spin reality: Obama got elected because of his color. Blacks and Latinos voted overwhelmingly for Obama because of his color (certainly not because of his resume). Whites that voted for Obama did so primarily to prove to themselves and others that they weren't racist. (white guilt)

I voted for McCain because of Obama's far left voting record in the Senate, empty resume, lack of management experience and questionable friends and associates, not because he's black.

The reason so many people are railing against his video to school children, is again, not because he's black, it's because they don't trust him to tell the truth.

He has lied and broken every campaign promise he's made. I could recite them all but you know what they are.

The left (including yourself, Paul) pull the race card at every opportunity, if anyone disagrees with Obama he's a racist.

You would have been horrified as a boy to see a sitting president being treated with "such contempt". Yet you and others on the left were extremely contemptuous when Bush was the sitting president (no hypocrisy there).

Here's some no-spin reality: Obama got elected because of his color. Blacks and Latinos voted overwhelmingly for Obama because of his color (certainly not because of his resume). Whites that voted for Obama did so primarily to prove to themselves and others that they weren't racist. (white guilt)

I voted for McCain because of Obama's far left voting record in the Senate, empty resume, lack of management experience and questionable friends and associates, not because he's black.

The reason so many people are railing against his video to school children, is again, not because he's black, it's because they don't trust him to tell the truth.

He has lied and broken every campaign promise he's made. I could recite them all but you know what they are.

The left (including yourself, Paul) pull the race card at every opportunity, if anyone disagrees with Obama he's a racist.

You would have been horrified as a boy to see a sitting president being treated with "such contempt". Yet you and others on the left were extremely contemptuous when Bush was the sitting president (no hypocrisy there).

You are such a lying scum. You were going to vote for any Republican and you were also going to call any Democrat far left, the same way you call everyone here who disagrees with you far left..

We voted for Obama because we believe in him, we agree with him and he inspired us. Blacks and Latinos were going to vote overwhelmingly for any Democrat. Obama lost votes because he is black, and has also lost support during his presidency for that deplorable reason.

The reason you idiots are railing against the President telling children to study hard and get a good education is that you are mindless sheep who do whatever your masters tell you to do. The idea that children can't hear a message from the President is just stupid. Somebody sets a daily agenda and you all follow along like sheep. You're disgusting.

At this time in his presidency, most progressives were giving Bush the benefit of the doubt. We weren't calling him a fascist, like you scumbags are calling Obama a socialist and comparing him to Hitler. It was only when Bush earned our contempt that he got it. We knew the invasion of Iraq was too convenient, and that there was no good reason for it. He lied to us and then gave us that stinking Bush smirk about it, and when that became obvious we lost respect for him. Making a joke about not being able to find WMDs in the oval office. What an ass! If a Democrat did that, you would holler for his impeachment. He would never have another moment's peace.

You right-wingers have been on Obama's back since the day he took office. You've called him every vile name you could think of. You've even compared him to Hitler. You have contempt for everyone who doesn't agree with you. You never accepted Clinton as a legitimate president either, even though he won both elections fair and square - which is more than we can say for Bush.

Problem is, you don't respect anyone you doesn't agree with. You'll stop at nothing to discredit anyone you don't agree with. To you, lying is no problem at all. So we don't respect you any more. You want ugly, you'll get ugly. This isn't funny. I'm starting to hate millions of my fellow citizens. You are a scumbag.

You voted against Obama (not for McCain) because you do whatever Fox Noise tells you to do. And we call racism where we see it. No other president has ever been treated like this, not even Bush. When a not-too-bright sounding white woman cries "I want my country back" into a microphone, it's not too hard to figure out what her issue is.

You voted against Obama (not for McCain) because you do whatever Fox Noise tells you to do. And we call racism where we see it. No other president has ever been treated like this, not even Bush. When a not-too-bright sounding white woman cries "I want my country back" into a microphone, it's not too hard to figure out what her issue is.

Let's not forget that FOX news is refusing to air PRESIDENT OBAMA'S address to congress tomorrow. I don't care what someone's politics are but for a "news" channel not to carry a presiden't speech on an important issue is unforgivable. Fox new is throwing a tantrum and making a decision for thier viewers. Fair and balanced my ass.

And you want to be taken seriously? You're a PARANOID RACIST! Stop typing ridiculous, racist as hell shit like "Barack Obama got elected because of his race." Most political scientists believe Hillary Clinton would have won by an even bigger landslide had she got on the ticket. He got elected because voters are stupid, and in the battle of who had shittier friends, it turned out Barack's "association" with Bill Ayers wasn't near as bad as John McCain's party affiliation with George W. Bush. Idiot! You're so F**KING dumb it's unbelievable. Sheep.

And you want to be taken seriously? You're a PARANOID RACIST! Stop typing ridiculous, racist as hell shit like "Barack Obama got elected because of his race." Most political scientists believe Hillary Clinton would have won by an even bigger landslide had she got on the ticket. He got elected because voters are stupid, and in the battle of who had shittier friends, it turned out Barack's "association" with Bill Ayers wasn't near as bad as John McCain's party affiliation with George W. Bush. Idiot! You're so F**KING dumb it's unbelievable. Sheep.

Wow, someone didn't have his cup of coffee today.

Guest 2smart4u
You are such a lying scum. You were going to vote for any Republican and you were also going to call any Democrat far left, the same way you call everyone here who disagrees with you far left..

We voted for Obama because we believe in him, we agree with him and he inspired us. Blacks and Latinos were going to vote overwhelmingly for any Democrat. Obama lost votes because he is black, and has also lost support during his presidency for that deplorable reason.

The reason you idiots are railing against the President telling children to study hard and get a good education is that you are mindless sheep who do whatever your masters tell you to do. The idea that children can't hear a message from the President is just stupid. Somebody sets a daily agenda and you all follow along like sheep. You're disgusting.

At this time in his presidency, most progressives were giving Bush the benefit of the doubt. We weren't calling him a fascist, like you scumbags are calling Obama a socialist and comparing him to Hitler. It was only when Bush earned our contempt that he got it. We knew the invasion of Iraq was too convenient, and that there was no good reason for it. He lied to us and then gave us that stinking Bush smirk about it, and when that became obvious we lost respect for him. Making a joke about not being able to find WMDs in the oval office. What an ass! If a Democrat did that, you would holler for his impeachment. He would never have another moment's peace.

You right-wingers have been on Obama's back since the day he took office. You've called him every vile name you could think of. You've even compared him to Hitler. You have contempt for everyone who doesn't agree with you. You never accepted Clinton as a legitimate president either, even though he won both elections fair and square - which is more than we can say for Bush.

Problem is, you don't respect anyone you doesn't agree with. You'll stop at nothing to discredit anyone you don't agree with. To you, lying is no problem at all. So we don't respect you any more. You want ugly, you'll get ugly. This isn't funny. I'm starting to hate millions of my fellow citizens. You are a scumbag.

Answer one (1) question. What do you think about Obama breaking every campaign promise he made to the American public? And don't ask me to recite them, you've heard them all.

Guest 2smart4u

You can't be this stupid. Consider this: A white first term Senator from Illinois with no management backround, never a Governor or other elected official, a known associate of urban terrorists and a long term member of a church with a racist minister decides one day, I think I'll run for president.

Tell me Ko, what would his chances be? If you answer honestly, the answer would be nil, zilch, zero, nada and none at all.

So tell me again that color had nothing to do with it.

Answer one (1) question. What do you think about Obama breaking every campaign promise he made to the American public? And don't ask me to recite them, you've heard them all.

I'm pissed off that Barack Obama has not closed Guantanamo Bay and that he has not reversed many of Bush's defense policies. That said, I voted for Barack Obama because I get dropped from my father's policy in January. I need free health care. He hasn't screwed me on that yet. You forget, 2smart4u (but not 2smart4BillOreilly'sgenitals), I'm no sheep. And I don't particularly like Barack Obama.

First of all he's only been in office a few months. Secondly if he were to say that the sun will come up tommorrow the GOP would say no it won't and then proceed to do everything in thier power to make sure it wouldn't. People like you have absolutlely lost your mind. Your hysterical. Our duely elected president cannot even address school children, as did former presidents without people like you going batshit crazy. At this point I'm not too concerned about all of his campaign promises. I'm more concerned with people like you and your hate speech. At this point I'm more concerned with keeping our president alive. This could actually be a wonderful time in our country if it weren't for spoilers like you. Run along now, you're probably late for a klan meeting.

I think you're a lying scumbag because it's not true. He has made good on many of his promises already and is working on health care legislation right now.

[/quote

Broke every promise, huh? OK, genius. Here is just a partial list of the promises he made that he has kept:

1. Create a foreclosure prevention fund for homeowners.

2. Establish a credit card bill of rights.

3. Expand loan programs for small business.

4. Extend and index the 2007 Alternative Minimum tax patch.

5. Expand eligibility of the State Children's Health Insurance Fund (SCHIP)

6. Increase funding to expand community based prevention programs.

7. Direct military leaders to end the war in Iraq.

8. Send additional troops to Afghanistan.

9. Establish an energy partnership for the Americas.

10. Release Presidential records and make government more transparent. Have you visited www.whitehouse.gov recently?

11. Create the office of Chief Technology Officer for the nation.

12. Ban lobbyist gifts to executives.

13. Invest in alternative energy.

14. Enact tax credits for consumers who purchase hybrid vehicles.

President Obama made HUNDREDS of promises and pledged to work to enact them. He's been in office for 8 months so he hasn't even had a chance to START working on the vast majority of the things he wants to do. It's really unbelievable that people are attacking him as being unable to keep ALL of his promises.

Do you EVER have anything credible to say?

First of all he's only been in office a few months. Secondly if he were to say that the sun will come up tommorrow the GOP would say no it won't and then proceed to do everything in thier power to make sure it wouldn't. People like you have absolutlely lost your mind. Your hysterical. Our duely elected president cannot even address school children, as did former presidents without people like you going batshit crazy. At this point I'm not too concerned about all of his campaign promises. I'm more concerned with people like you and your hate speech. At this point I'm more concerned with keeping our president alive. This could actually be a wonderful time in our country if it weren't for spoilers like you. Run along now, you're probably late for a klan meeting.

Nice spin job avoiding the question.