John Leadbeater Running for Mayor

Guest *John Leadbeater*

Guest I M Politico
Does anyone really think that an open debate about the issues in Kearny is a bad idea? Whether you agree with Leadbeater or not, I welcome the fact that there will be a race. For all the "positives" in Kearny, I don't like when the elected body speak with one voice on EVERY issue. There seems to be little opposition within the council, and it can't be possible that there is only one way to address every problem; which means some of the members are likely puppets. I find that disturbing.

Is every member of the council happy with legal fees totaling over $700,000 within a five year period to one law firm. Patronage, that's today's buzz word.

I wouldn't exactly call the upcoming election between Santos and Leadbeater a "race". A race would connote a parity of sorts and as has been said here before, while John is a hell of a nice guy, he is in no way a match for Al Santos. Leadbeater and Santos have debated in the past and it was an unfortunate debacle for John. The Mayor is extremely intelligent and more importantly is keenly aware and well versed on all of the issues facing Kearny.

As for the apparent consensus of the Council on major issues: that doesn't necessarily indicate that they always agree. They have, in my view, conducted themselves respectably in public, while perhaps privately conquering the art of compromise. Sounds like grownup government to me!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ditto
I wouldn't exactly call the upcoming election between Santos and Leadbeater a "race". A race would connote a parity of sorts and as has been said here before, while John is a hell of a nice guy, he is in no way a match for Al Santos. Leadbeater and Santos have debated in the past and it was an unfortunate debacle for John. The Mayor is extremely intelligent and more importantly is keenly aware and well versed on all of the issues facing Kearny.

As for the apparent consensus of the Council on major issues: that doesn't necessarily indicate that they always agree. They have, in my view, conducted themselves respectably in public, while perhaps privately conquering the art of compromise. Sounds like grownup government to me!

Couldn't agree more on all counts. Does anybody have an update on just who turned in petitions and how it all shakes out? Does Leadbeater have a slate or just himself? Where is his backing since the Kearny Republican Party seems practically non-existent?

Guest guest

This is the 4th time my posts did not appear. It seems Mayor Santos' girls DO control this board

Guest guest
Word has it Leadbeater filed his petition to run with NO candidates. Doesn't that tell you he has NO support?

It doesn't mean he doesn't have the support---I know that quite a number of people are backing him. I hope he gets in because this town needs a change. John is the man who can do this.

Guest I M Politico
Logics says throw ALL incumbents out of office. They have been there toooooooo long.

Logic? Where is the "logic" in your statement? Kearny does not have municipal term limits and the incumbents are doing a reasonably good job during very difficult times. So, your plan is to get rid of these proven assets, roll the dice and let the chips fall where they may? Considering that it doesn't look like opposing candidates are rushing their petitions into Town Hall, the dice will not be rolling very far and the chips will be few and far between.

Unless the Santos Team is involved in some highly unlikely blunder or a racy scandal, they will not be beat...and that, my friend, is a gooooooooooood thing!

Guest guest
Logic? Where is the "logic" in your statement? Kearny does not have municipal term limits and the incumbents are doing a reasonably good job during very difficult times. So, your plan is to get rid of these proven assets, roll the dice and let the chips fall where they may? Considering that it doesn't look like opposing candidates are rushing their petitions into Town Hall, the dice will not be rolling very far and the chips will be few and far between.

Unless the Santos Team is involved in some highly unlikely blunder or a racy scandal, they will not be beat...and that, my friend, is a gooooooooooood thing!

Don:t be to sure.Look what happen to board of ed. electiions.Residents want change maybe!!!

Guest Guest
Don:t be to sure.Look what happen to board of ed. electiions.Residents want change maybe!!!

I voted for Santos in the last election and I know I would definitely vote for Leadbeter if he ran. There is one vote cast.

Guest guest

The only change would be Leadbeater replacing Santos. All the other candidates are running unopposed

Guest guest
The only change would be Leadbeater replacing Santos. All the other candidates are running unopposed

Why is it that MY posts take 2 and 3 days to get posted? Could it be because that would bring this topic back up to the top of the page? Suspicions seem to be valid!!!!!!

Guest Guest
Word has it Leadbeater filed his petition to run with NO candidates. Doesn't that tell you he has NO support?
At least Leadbeater lives in Kearny you puppets....keep drinking the koolaid and keep paying the tax increase

Guest guest
At least Leadbeater lives in Kearny you puppets....keep drinking the koolaid and keep paying the tax increase

Could have fooled me. He spends most of his time in Wildwood. I know, my son is friends of JP

Guest Light Rail

We all know Leadbeater is going to lose. Big Time. This is not, however, an endorsement for the current administration. Far from it. The Santos team is coasting. Their lack of involvement and the mayor’s indifference mean they can’t be called out on the issues so they can't be held accountable by the voters.

What’s one issue this administration has stood up for? Got results on? Scored a big win for residents? It certainly isn’t property taxes or funding or services or parking or infrastructure….Even if they tried and lost, the effort would be appreciated.

Where was the mayor a few years ago while a national debate about the separation of church and state took place in our schools? Taxes go up year after year, and it’s simply blamed on everything that isn’t under the town’s control. Why is one of the nation’s most unsafe chemical plants still making headlines for being an easy terrorist target? This is leadership?

It’s a shame that a proper opponent hasn't emerged this year. Leadbeater will lose, the Santos administration will use this as another example of how they cannot be stopped, and the town will continue to suffer for it. But it’s easy to beat a weak opponent, so the victory will be somewhat hollow. Unless we get a great independent candidate to rise in November, we should get ready to grab our ankles for another four years.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest
We all know Leadbeater is going to lose. Big Time. This is not, however, an endorsement for the current administration. Far from it. The Santos team is coasting. Their lack of involvement and the mayor’s indifference mean they can’t be called out on the issues so they can't be held accountable by the voters.

What’s one issue this administration has stood up for? Got results on? Scored a big win for residents? It certainly isn’t property taxes or funding or services or parking or infrastructure….Even if they tried and lost, the effort would be appreciated.

Where was the mayor a few years ago while a national debate about the separation of church and state took place in our schools? Taxes go up year after year, and it’s simply blamed on everything that isn’t under the town’s control. Why is one of the nation’s most unsafe chemical plants still making headlines for being an easy terrorist target? This is leadership?

It’s a shame that a proper opponent hasn't emerged this year. Leadbeater will lose, the Santos administration will use this as another example of how they cannot be stopped, and the town will continue to suffer for it. But it’s easy to beat a weak opponent, so the victory will be somewhat hollow. Unless we get a great independent candidate to rise in November, we should get ready to grab our ankles for another four years.

I believe Leadbeater WILL win!!!!!!!

Guest Guest
I believe Leadbeater WILL win!!!!!!!

O my lord not this again, this guy hasn’t put a single reply on how is going to low tax or do a better job. I haven’t even seen him at any of the meeting, if he wins then Kearny really in trouble.

Guest I M Politico

I'm curious to know how you explain the lack of a "proper opponent" for Mayor Santos. Is it a question of political stage fright? Total indifference? Disarray in the Republican and Independent camps?

It seems to me that a town "suffering" so much could produce one opponent willing to take on the Santos administration. Or is it just easier to whine and complain about some vague displeasure or perceived lackluster of the current Mayor and Council?

Let me reiterate that while some of you have been sitting on your duffs, not attending budget hearings, never offering alternatives or comprehensive suggestions: contracts have been settled, budgets pared and adopted, water mains replaced, sewers separated, roads repaved, municipal parking lots acquired, recreational facilities improved and the general daily operations of a town have been managed...without jeopardizing residents' safety by resorting to lay-offs.

To be sure, not every decision made by Santos & Co. has been a popular one, but I really believe that they have sacrificed political expediency for the good of the town; and by doing so have keep our ship afloat while many around us are sinking!

Guest New Resident

I'd like to know is what John Leadbetter is about. I am a 4 year Kearny resident. Santos has done a fair job IMHO, but I am very willing and hopeful to get to meet John and understand what his direction is for Kearny. The tax situation is very unnerving, every quarter I feel it's just another quarter from happening, the big increase. What is John's plan to lower the budget and maintain taxes? Espcially for us in the Manor...

Best,

Guest Guest
I'm curious to know how you explain the lack of a "proper opponent" for Mayor Santos. Is it a question of political stage fright? Total indifference? Disarray in the Republican and Independent camps?

It seems to me that a town "suffering" so much could produce one opponent willing to take on the Santos administration. Or is it just easier to whine and complain about some vague displeasure or perceived lackluster of the current Mayor and Council?

Let me reiterate that while some of you have been sitting on your duffs, not attending budget hearings, never offering alternatives or comprehensive suggestions: contracts have been settled, budgets pared and adopted, water mains replaced, sewers separated, roads repaved, municipal parking lots acquired, recreational facilities improved and the general daily operations of a town have been managed...without jeopardizing residents' safety by resorting to lay-offs.

To be sure, not every decision made by Santos & Co. has been a popular one, but I really believe that they have sacrificed political expediency for the good of the town; and by doing so have keep our ship afloat while many around us are sinking!

Maybe most of the people in Kearny don't agree with you. Maybe we think that the Mayor has done a good job. That could explain it.

Guest Paul
I'd like to know is what John Leadbetter is about. I am a 4 year Kearny resident. Santos has done a fair job IMHO, but I am very willing and hopeful to get to meet John and understand what his direction is for Kearny. The tax situation is very unnerving, every quarter I feel it's just another quarter from happening, the big increase. What is John's plan to lower the budget and maintain taxes? Espcially for us in the Manor...

Best,

I hope that both candidates will tell us specifically what their plans are for the future. Not just bromides and platitudes that they think people want to hear, but what they actually intend to do in concrete and specific terms. The Mayor has an advantage in my opinion because he has been in office. I do not believe anyone can point to anything he has done or failed to do that anyone else could have done significantly better. That is the challenger's case to make. Let Mr. Leadbetter make his case and let's all keep our ears open and our minds turned on.

Guest Guest

Best,

.......the same as the Mayor's...

Unknown!!!!!!

Guest Guest
Why don't you learn how to write in English first?

Congratulations to John Leadbetter for having the courage to take on Mayor Santos. It will be a battle, but I am confident that the people of Kearny will want a change and will put John in the Mayor Seat.