hypocrisy - reaction to British bus campaign

Guest Paul

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Paul, thanks for the history lesson, although most of it is inaccurate and you didn't say anything I didn't already know. FYI, Jesus most likely was born in the spring because shepherds guarded their flocks in the spring when their calfs were born.

If you already knew all of it then why are you arguing that Christmas is exclusively a Christian holiday. Obviously you alreay know it's not. What are the inaccuracies? You always come here and make statements but say nothing to back them up.

Guest Patriot
If you already knew all of it then why are you arguing that Christmas is exclusively a Christian holiday. Obviously you alreay know it's not. What are the inaccuracies? You always come here and make statements but say nothing to back them up.

In the present day world, Christmas is an exclusively Christian holiday.

Okay Patriot. I am going to attempt to educate your sorry ass-not that it is possible to do so. Christmas and so many other things in our popular culture have their roots in paganism. The church never thought of Christ's birth as any reason to have a holiday endorsed with it until they realized it could be used to counter act the other celebrations that were occuring at this time period. ie: Winter Soltice, Saturnalia, birth of the Persian god Mithra (who happened to be born of a virgin on Dec 25th-coincidence? Probably not) The church did not even know when Jesus was even born, and the likelihood that he was born in Winter is highly debated (shepherds in the field, Roman Census, etc) Many churches codemned the celebration of Christmas and some religions even outlawed it. Our German settlers brought with them many of their customs and when Queen Victoria married a German in England, Christmas went through a reform and became a holiday associated with family and friends, good food and drink and reminicing about the year. Food was often scarce and neighbors pulled together their feast and drank and danced to keep warm. With the popularity of Christmas and any excuse for a party or holiday we Americans seem to have in our popular culture, the church has used this as a marketing campaign to sell Christianity. I love Christmas and I am a Humanist. Anything that makes us a more giving, compassionate and kinder species is something I can endorse regardless of the origins. Christmas is actually a pagan holiday. The Christian church hijacked it, slapped it's own label on it and now is upset because "ungodly" people have decided to reclaim it. The church is willing to adopt any ideaology if it can be used to further their agenda. Face it.

Okay Patriot. I am going to attempt to educate your sorry ass-not that it is possible to do so. Christmas and so many other things in our popular culture have their roots in paganism. The church never thought of Christ's birth as any reason to have a holiday endorsed with it until they realized it could be used to counter act the other celebrations that were occuring at this time period. ie: Winter Soltice, Saturnalia, birth of the Persian god Mithra (who happened to be born of a virgin on Dec 25th-coincidence? Probably not) The church did not even know when Jesus was even born, and the likelihood that he was born in Winter is highly debated (shepherds in the field, Roman Census, etc) Many churches codemned the celebration of Christmas and some religions even outlawed it. Our German settlers brought with them many of their customs and when Queen Victoria married a German in England, Christmas went through a reform and became a holiday associated with family and friends, good food and drink and reminicing about the year. Food was often scarce and neighbors pulled together their feast and drank and danced to keep warm. With the popularity of Christmas and any excuse for a party or holiday we Americans seem to have in our popular culture, the church has used this as a marketing campaign to sell Christianity. I love Christmas and I am a Humanist. Anything that makes us a more giving, compassionate and kinder species is something I can endorse regardless of the origins. Christmas is actually a pagan holiday. The Christian church hijacked it, slapped it's own label on it and now is upset because "ungodly" people have decided to reclaim it. The church is willing to adopt any ideaology if it can be used to further their agenda. Face it.

Festivus!!!

Festivus!!!

Guest Charlie Brown

Kris, Make no mistake, I do not condone what Patriot has to say but please I can't take any more lectures from you either...Good Grief!!!