KOTW as a vehicle for democracy

Guest Paul

First, I never doubted that you know exactly who I am. It's not a question of getting over it, but a question of what kind of contribution you want to make. When you're trying to influence local politics, your name is relevant, not to mention that it's rude to have a discussion with someone and refuse to identify yourself.

Second, what I'm doing is not the same as what you're doing. I focus on issues that go the core of what a democracy is about under our Constitution. You suggested that I shift my focus to practical local governance issues. (That's not your call to make.) They're both important, but the methods of influencing them are entirely different. Attitudes are more central to my issues than they are to yours. I succeed just by getting people to think a little more openly, and maybe just by getting people to think about these things at all. You succeed only if you change the town's policies. That's why you can't succeed without specific ideas and a specific plan of action.

Third you can laugh all you want, but by getting the message out there and keeping it out there, I stand at least a chance of getting some people to think about it. Three years ago, I never expected to be doing this, but I just happened to have a son who was in the wrong/right place at the wrong/right time, depending on how you look at it, and drew a lot of attention. Maybe this is just a way of killing a little free time while I'm listening to Beethoven or Coltrane, but whatever it is, I enjoy it and hope it makes a positive difference.

How dare you try to take a moron back to the issues? :angry: