Public Safety Director

Guest Stash

Whichever fireman wrote the last posts need mental help immediately. The most expensive and ultra-modern public housing in Harrison is the 7th street clubhouse where the fireman (hurts to use that term) hang out. Gourment kitchen, large screen TV's, bed, computers. IMO, they also have top shelf booze, their drugs of choice, and frequent prostitutes (male and female) over the evening shift to satisfy their switch hitting needs out of the public eyes and their ugly wives or male companions. Does anyone have the guts to put on a post how many fires their were this year. My best guess is 1, although I wasn't in town New Years eve for the gardens annual dumpster fire. The boys at the clubhouse even call the cops to protect their cowardly asses from the children throwing snowballs at them. Did the Mayor push thru the 6 new fireman that Harrison is hiring or is that gonna be at the next meeting?

There has been some award winning posts in stupidity on this site but this one by far takes the blue ribbon.

You still will not answer how many fires were put out by the HFD because it will further humiliate the clubhouse cronies and really highlight that they are not needed. What a shame.

You still will not answer how many fires were put out by the HFD because it will further humiliate the clubhouse cronies and really highlight that they are not needed. What a shame.

What are we going to do when T.K. is in charge? Well probably cry on this site some more.....

What are we going to do when T.K. is in charge? Well probably cry on this site some more.....

[/iTH NO PAY.quote]

W

The DCA recommended a Public Safety Director for 3 years. Other recommendations were to do away with the D/Chief position in the HPD. Increase work hours to 2080 per year or a 40 hour week.Since the new Chief has taken over sick time has increased by 98%. He wanted steady shifts because he said it was healthier which would decrease sick time. I guess he was wrong. Days worked also decreased to 141 days per year.

They want more civilian employees and less cops.

The Chief is his response has taken the Union's position and not management. What's this tell you?

Guest Harrison Senior
Take the unlimited sick time away I bet you won't have shrtages on shifts...when you hit their pocket they will come to work.

I'm asking the Mayor to publicize the number of sick days taken by the P.D. No names, just the total number of sick days. From what I'm hearing, this "unlimited sick days" policy is getting out of hand. I've checked with many towns to see what their sick leave policies are. I haven't found one town that offers unlimited sick days. They all offer 15 sick days a year, they can be accrued and there's a cap on the amount that can be cashed in at retirement. Most of the towns set the cap at $50,000. It appears Harrison is giving away the store with unlimited sick days. The next mayor had better address this issue

because I don't think this Mayor is going to.

I'm asking the Mayor to publicize the number of sick days taken by the P.D. No names, just the total number of sick days. From what I'm hearing, this "unlimited sick days" policy is getting out of hand. I've checked with many towns to see what their sick leave policies are. I haven't found one town that offers unlimited sick days. They all offer 15 sick days a year, they can be accrued and there's a cap on the amount that can be cashed in at retirement. Most of the towns set the cap at $50,000. It appears Harrison is giving away the store with unlimited sick days. The next mayor had better address this issue

Nothing is getting out of hand. Unlimited means unlimited and they are using their days. There is nothing wrong with that. Take what is given to you.

The Chief has to stop acting like a member of the PBA and start managing. The State is going to cut back on distressed city aid so that means less money for the PD. Recall the Officers that he has assigned to the Prosecutors Office and Immigration and put them on Patrol. Take 1 Officer out of the schools and put him on patrol. Cut the number of officers assigned to the DB and put them on patrol. They have a clearance rate of 19% so you wouldn't miss them in the DB. Hire 2 more Parking Enforcemet Officers to bring in more revenue. Summons are down from 30,000 in 2001 to 14,000 in 2007. They will pay for themselves. Go back to 15 sick days per year and put Officers on disability retirement that can't do their jobs. Get rid of the Deputy Chief position. All he does is go to school. When the Chief starts doing his job, there won't be a need for a Public Safety Director. :ninja:

Once again the original question to how many fires, not calls, were in Harrison to justify a $13 million dollar fire deparrtment has been avoided due to embarrassment. Mayor, can you answer the need for this cash cow of a fire dept. at the next meeting.

Nothing is getting out of hand. Unlimited means unlimited and they are using their days. There is nothing wrong with that. Take what is given to you.

The only thing wrong with that is that my tax dollars just keep going up. But, who cares the P.D. is only using "their days" that THE PEOPLE OF HARRISON ARE PAYING FOR. Maybe a public safety director is the answer..........

5 Officers composed 84 % of all sick time, one boss has been out for almost 2 years!!

5 Officers composed 84 % of all sick time, one boss has been out for almost 2 years!!

I WOULDN'T CALL HER A BOSS,SHE IS ON LIGHT DUTY SHUFFLING PAPERS. i THINK THEY ARE AFRAID TO TERMINATE HER FOR FEAR SHE WILL SUE THEM. ALL 5 SHOULD BE GIVEN THEIR WALKING PAPERS. tHE TOTAL NUMBER OF SICK DAYS IS ABOUT 850 DAYS. CIVIL SERVICE IS THE PROTECTION OF THE INCOMPETENT. :angry:

Time to get rid of the dead wood, MAYOR !!

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR. THE pOLICE CHIEF ASKED FOR THE REVIEW BY THE DCA.THEY CAME OUT WITHTHE REPORT RELYING ON STATISTICAL INFORMATION, OBSERVATION AND ANAYLYSIS. THE cHIEF NATURALLY DIDN'T LIKE IT,ESPECIALLY THE PART CALLING FOR A PS DIRECTOR AND ELIMINATE THE d/cHIEF'S POSITION. NOW THE POLICE COMMITTEE IS GOING TO REVIEW THE REPORT. WHAT IS THEIR EXPERTISE?

GOV. CORZINE HAS TOLD THE MAYORS THAT THEY CAN EXPECT LESS AID THIS YEAR AND NEXT. THE GOVERNOR IS RUNNING FOR RE-ELECTION, SO HE WON'T RAISE TAXES. THE STATE IS ALREADY GIVING HARRISON 6 MILLION. THAT IS GOING TO BE CUT. SOME JOBS IN HARRISON HAVE TO BE ELIMINATED. THE DCA SAYS THERE SHOULD BE 47 COPS ON THE HPD AT THIS TIME. THAT NUMBER CAN EASILY BE REACHED THROUGH ATTRITION. THEY SAY THE COPS SHOULD WORK 40 HOURS A WEEK. THAT HAS TO BE BARGAINED WITH THE PBA. THEY SAY THEY SHOULD GO BACK TO 15 SICK DAYS. THAT SHOULD BE DONE BEFORE ANOTHER CONTRACT IS REACHED. THEY SAY THE HPD SHOULD HIRE 10 SPECIAL OFFICERS TO ASSIST THE HPD ON AN AS NEEDED BASIS. THIS PLAN HAS BEEN IN THE WORKS FOR THE LAST 10 YEARS.

THE HFD WAS SMART ENOUGH NOT TO ASK FOR A REVIEW BY THE DCA. THEY SHOULD BE CUT ALSO. HOW ABOUT MERGING WITH KEARNY AND E.NEWARK? 1 CHIEF INSTEAD OF 2 PAID CHIEFS. THEY HAVE TOO MANY BATTALIAN CHIEFS AND CAPTAINS. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, THIS IS WHERE THE MOST CUTS SHOULD COME FROM.

why don't they just cut the FD to about 20 and then have the rest volunteer..... Im sure you can find those blowhards that would love to be VOLUNTEER fireman......... and it would save about half their budget... why not close down the Cleveland ave firehouse... why do we need 3-5 fireman over there??????? Just thinking of ways to save money.........

why don't they just cut the FD to about 20 and then have the rest volunteer..... Im sure you can find those blowhards that would love to be VOLUNTEER fireman......... and it would save about half their budget... why not close down the Cleveland ave firehouse... why do we need 3-5 fireman over there??????? Just thinking of ways to save money.........

I have a better idea. Eliminate the entire PD and hire a private security firm to patrol the town. You can reduce the PD budget by 60 % Then with the money saved you could bring the FD up to full strength and still realize a savings. (I should run for Mayor).

wow do I sense a bit of uncertainty!!!!!!!! not knowing if you are still going to have a job after the town(which has to trim its budget by layoffs) will cut you..... I think its safe to say that the fireman have a lot to worry about being that they are the ONLY fire dept in the STATE with more fireman than cops........ I heard there was a special union meeting last week, did you guys come up with a solution or are you just going to deal with the Obvious CUTS that are coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck you never want to see anyone get layed off but you should of seen the writing on the wall.... What about the 10 fireman who could put there papers in today.... talk about Fuc$ing the young guys there is your problem.... they do not give a crap about the newer guys>..........Good luck....

I have a better idea. Eliminate the entire PD and hire a private security firm to patrol the town. You can reduce the PD budget by 60 % Then with the money saved you could bring the FD up to full strength and still realize a savings. (I should run for Mayor).

YOU HAVE MY VOTE!!!!! All the cops that are and have been on sick leave should just be stopped on the payroll and then see the savings

YOU HAVE MY VOTE!!!!! All the cops that are and have been on sick leave should just be stopped on the payroll and then see the savings

The Police Chief has to fight to keep the number of officers at the present level. Forget about the D/Chief's position, its a waste. Plan to hire more specials to work at the Red Bull Stadium for traffic control. You only have to pay them when they are assigned to work. Terminate the Officer who is on paid suspension. Give the officers who can't do their jobs disability retirement. Go back to 15 days sick leave and pay only $15,000 for unused sick and vacation days at retirement. Give the Officers a 4% raise if they increase their hours to 40. This can be accomplished by working 3 twelve hour steady shifts with 3 days off.Allow them to accumulate hours worked over 40 for use on sick or vacation days.

Apply for Accreditation with the NJ Chief's Ass'n which will decrease the departments insurance costs and make them more professional.

The Police Chief being replaced would be the best move that Mayor McDonough could make. If the Town wants to match its new image as a future model community, Red Bulls Arena and a total redevelopment project, then a 'Professional' Public Safety Director must be brought in as soon as possible! With a crime rate through the roof and constant denials from the Police Chief (pathetic observer artical) the situation can not be in the hands of a amatuer. I would like to know what happens when there is 25,000 people at the stadium and something goes wrong, will the Chief run to the Observer and deny it and say that the Harrison Gardens was a great place to grow up in. The Chief can't handle the crime in town at this time (and all we have is small homes and businesses) can you imagine how it will be when this beautiful, near billion dollar project is complete. A professional common sense change must be made now! "If you see it, report it" thats his moto, Right? How about getting his men to see something and do something about it! Oh forget that, all he cares about is what a great job the Detective Bureau is doing??????????(what a crock) he stated that in the observer artical. (never mentioned his officers)

You will never see 25,000 people at that stadium. At least not at the same time.

You will never see 25,000 people at that stadium. At least not at the same time.

Why should the Town pay for traffic control at the stadium? If your mayor and council were clever in their dealings, the Red Bulls would pay. That's what happens when you have plumbers making contracts with business people.

Why should the Town pay for traffic control at the stadium? If your mayor and council were clever in their dealings, the Red Bulls would pay. That's what happens when you have plumbers making contracts with business people.

Don't worry, the town will not have to pay for traffic control because nobody will show up a that dump.

The Police Chief has to fight to keep the number of officers at the present level. Forget about the D/Chief's position, its a waste. Plan to hire more specials to work at the Red Bull Stadium for traffic control. You only have to pay them when they are assigned to work. Terminate the Officer who is on paid suspension. Give the officers who can't do their jobs disability retirement. Go back to 15 days sick leave and pay only $15,000 for unused sick and vacation days at retirement. Give the Officers a 4% raise if they increase their hours to 40. This can be accomplished by working 3 twelve hour steady shifts with 3 days off.Allow them to accumulate hours worked over 40 for use on sick or vacation days.

Apply for Accreditation with the NJ Chief's Ass'n which will decrease the departments insurance costs and make them more professional.

My opinion is that the town should be required to hire, at minimum, 10 cops per game minimum on overtime to maintain public safety. Also, who is going to provide protection when the CONTRACTUALLY REQUIRED 1600 low income housing units are built, and where the hell are they gonna build them. Get ready for the crime wave because at say 1600 3 person families moving in thats 4800 people. Where are they gonna work? Idle hands are the work of the devil, so you can stick your Comstat up your ass. The robberies, burglaries, and beatings will skyrocket. Maybe hiring more cronies at secret jobs, more fireman, and more nepotism will help. NOT.