Drink up, Kool-Aiders

Guest 2smart4u

What he promised he is already trying to back out of.

No he's not. All he said was that the election isn't the change. It's only the opportunity for change. Between now and inauguration, he will assemble a Cabinet and a staff, fine tune his legislative and executive strategy and get ready to assume power on January 20.

The real world isn't just a collection of sound bites and smart-assed remarks. Listen for a change. That's part of what this election was about.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must have forgotten one of Obama's promises already. 95% will not get their taxes raised and since 40% don't pay taxes, they'll get free money in the mail.

Sounds like that promise might be in conflict with the "Ask not" quote.

Not true. The promise was for tax cuts, not "free money."

Fellow American, I do not think so. What wonderful time do you live in? Time will tell what kind of president he will be. I am not ready to crown anyone as king, especially the day after his inauguration the market drops 450 points. There will be difficult times ahead. I hope he is man enough to make the right decisions. I still and not ready to call them wonderful times yet. Come back and talk to me in 4 years and then we will see.

Congratulations on your victory, for myself and those like myself who had hopes of retiring soon and now have to work at least another 5 years, we will see.

Congratulations on your victory, for myself and those like myself who had hopes of retiring soon and now have to work at least another 5 years, we will see. As much as you condemn the Republican Party, the first 6 years were good ones financially, even with through the turmoil of 9/11. I do not ever wish that on any president and President Bush got us through that difficult time. For that I do commend him and for what he has done to rebuild the United States military. Since you were not there you would not know how inadequate the equipment our soldiers had to fight with originally and the strides that they have made to make a better war fighter. Bringing the soldiers back alive is something that Bush started and hoping Obama can finish.

Bush put us into the difficult times!

You don't think so? Well, then, you're in the minority. That's why the Republicans lost the election, big time.

I would like you to lay out here what you think Obama's campaign promises are and what you expect him to accomplish. This way it's in black and white. No metaphor intended. You think the dream is alive; all I see is the country only getting worst day by day. So here is your forum to lay out what your expectations of Obama are and please don’t be general. We all want world peace and this isn’t a beauty pageant. You are never one short on words so now is not the time to be shy.

Instead of picking fights, read it from Obama himself. http://origin.barackobama.com/issues/

Are you ever out of the loop! Go out and talk to the "Average Joe" who voted for Obama, most of them really do expect the checks to start rolling in. I've heard them at work so I'm not making this up.

Don't get me wrong, I too am really proud of my country, we have come along way with electing a black american president. I think/hope that racisim can be a thing of the past once and for all in our county becouse of this.

You've spoken to most of Obama's supporters at work? All 70 million of us? Somehow, I don't think so.

You've spoken to most of Obama's supporters at work? All 70 million of us? Somehow, I don't think so.

You seem to be a confused individual with a lack of understanding, so I'll respond just this one time, if you still don't get it, don't get stressed, just let it go and move on.

No, I don't work with 70 mil people, only 200. Half of them say they voted for Obama, and most of them (of the 100) are waiting for thier check.

Yeesh, it's like talking to a 5 year old!

Guest Lincoln Logger
Obama was very clear about his proposals. I haven’t checked, but they probably are still available for you to read at www.barackobama.com. A brief summary includes:

1. $15 billion per year to invest in R&D for new energy sources.

2. A very specific plan on health care. You can read about the details on his web site.

3. Ending the war in Iraq on a timetable.

4. Paying more attention to terrorism where it actually is.

5. Ending the Bush tax cuts for those making more than $250,000 per year. People making less than that will either see no increase or have their taxes cut.

6. An improved education system with greater rewards for good teachers.

Those are some of the main ones. You can get as angry at me as you want. We still have a new President-elect. The least you can do is give him a chance.

As far as # 1 is concerned where is this money going to come from? It someone is going to have to pay for it and you boy Obama hasn't said who is going to pay for it ?

Again for # 2, maybe the health care needs an overhaul but the specifics are to who is going to pay for it is not shared. It was never told to those screaming "Obama" after the election. They are in for a very big culture shock.

Number 3: I agree with ending the war in Iraq. But suddenly ending the way and bringing all those troops home has other logistical problems. I doubt that Obama wants to stop the war anyway. He just wants to move it to Pakistan where he think Osama is hiding.

Number 4: As far as homeland security, the programs in place have been effective. If by terrorism you think you mean shifting the attention to Pakistan, I am wondering where your Intel is coming from? Do you know something that the entire military doesn't already know? I disagree with tax cuts all together. The only reason that people get tax cuts is because those people pay too much to begin with and then are reimbursed for their overpayment. The Government gets to use this money during the year and the interest earned funds certain programs. What happens to these programs if tax cuts are stopped all together? Let's see the economy goes into a recession, sort of like it is going now.

Number 5: I completely disagree with you. This is what got Wall Street in trouble. Wall Street Execs are complaining because their bonuses will not be as great this year as in other. They do not deserve a bonus in the first place. Let the teachers keep their pension and their union. Teachers are paid to teach. That's what their salaries are for. The reward system doesn't work because in nearly every school system there are politics taking place and often the best teachers are overlooked. The corruption cannot be controlled. Just look at the Kearny School System for example. We have a Head Teacher (Tracy P.) for early childhood development for over 5 years now who has barely been there for the past 4 years due to having three children. Yet she still gets a full salary with her time off. People cover for her over and over and nothing is done. She hires her friends instead of qualified teachers. If anything they should put harsher demands on the teachers/administration that abuse the system and punish those people, instead of rewarding the ones who manipulate the system for their own personal gain. You of all people should be aware of that. YOU fought that battle with your son.

You seem to be a confused individual with a lack of understanding, so I'll respond just this one time, if you still don't get it, don't get stressed, just let it go and move on.

No, I don't work with 70 mil people, only 200. Half of them say they voted for Obama, and most of them (of the 100) are waiting for thier check.

It certainly is. Your guy lost. Get used to it.

As far as # 1 is concerned where is this money going to come from? It someone is going to have to pay for it and you boy Obama hasn't said who is going to pay for it ?

Again for # 2, maybe the health care needs an overhaul but the specifics are to who is going to pay for it is not shared. It was never told to those screaming "Obama" after the election. They are in for a very big culture shock.

Number 3: I agree with ending the war in Iraq. But suddenly ending the way and bringing all those troops home has other logistical problems. I doubt that Obama wants to stop the war anyway. He just wants to move it to Pakistan where he think Osama is hiding.

Number 4: As far as homeland security, the programs in place have been effective. If by terrorism you think you mean shifting the attention to Pakistan, I am wondering where your Intel is coming from? Do you know something that the entire military doesn't already know? I disagree with tax cuts all together. The only reason that people get tax cuts is because those people pay too much to begin with and then are reimbursed for their overpayment. The Government gets to use this money during the year and the interest earned funds certain programs. What happens to these programs if tax cuts are stopped all together? Let's see the economy goes into a recession, sort of like it is going now.

Number 5: I completely disagree with you. This is what got Wall Street in trouble. Wall Street Execs are complaining because their bonuses will not be as great this year as in other. They do not deserve a bonus in the first place. Let the teachers keep their pension and their union. Teachers are paid to teach. That's what their salaries are for. The reward system doesn't work because in nearly every school system there are politics taking place and often the best teachers are overlooked. The corruption cannot be controlled. Just look at the Kearny School System for example. We have a Head Teacher (Tracy P.) for early childhood development for over 5 years now who has barely been there for the past 4 years due to having three children. Yet she still gets a full salary with her time off. People cover for her over and over and nothing is done. She hires her friends instead of qualified teachers. If anything they should put harsher demands on the teachers/administration that abuse the system and punish those people, instead of rewarding the ones who manipulate the system for their own personal gain. You of all people should be aware of that. YOU fought that battle with your son.

1. Same place the money came to pay for Mr. Bush's war. Where is the money coming from to pay for gas and oil at the pump? Where is the money going to come from to pay for a college education for your kids? A program to develop new energy sources is an investment, just like a college education. You do it even though money is tight because it will give you more money in the long run.

2. Where is the money coming from to pay for health care now? Where is that money going? How much is being eaten up by insurance and administrative costs? How much money are you spending paying for health care for the uninsured, who just use the emergency rooms - the most expensive form of care. Look beyond your nose. Stop imagining that the present situation isn't costing you money.

3. We should have our military where they will best serve our nation's interests.

4. If we have done such a great job fighting terrorism, then why is bin Laden still directing Al Qaeda? If we had done it right, with the cooperation of other countries, he would have been captured long ago and Al Qaeda would not be on the rise again.

5. What got Wall Street in trouble was deregulation leading to excessive speculation in the markets. It's the same thing as got Wall Street in trouble in 1929.

Well, I completely disagree with you, too. We have been ignoring critical national needs for decades, the entire span of the Reagan era, which probably came to a long overdue end a week ago this evening. Reagan talked us into the idea that government was the enemy. As a result, we have neglected the pressing need to develop new sources of energy, ignored a health care system that was becoming increasingly costly and decreasingly effective at the same time, ignored our infrastructure, built our foreign policy around oil and let the markets run wild. All of this is a direct result of short-sighted policies that flow directly from Reagan's misunderstanding of the world.

Yelling at the government might make you feel good while you're doing it, but in the long run it harms you. This attitude costs you vast amounts of money by shutting down the one entity that can address some of the most important issues we face: government. It's not a popular thing to say, but it's true.

I have no idea who Tracey P. is, but based on your description I don't see any obvious comparison between her situation and my son's.

So let me get this straight. You ran around your workplace and asked everyone, all 200 who they voted for? and all 200 told you? and it was exactly 1/2 of the full 200 that told you they voted for Obama,right? and 1/2 of that 100 that voted for Obama are expecting checks, right?

1.) Those 50 people are idiots because they don't have a clue what Obama's policies are.

2.) 25% of your company's workforce are idiots

3.) I don't believe you anyway.

Obama was very clear about his proposals. I haven’t checked, but they probably are still available for you to read at www.barackobama.com. A brief summary includes:

2. A very specific plan on health care. You can read about the details on his web site.

5. Ending the Bush tax cuts for those making more than $250,000 per year. People making less than that will either see no increase or have their taxes cut.

Those are some of the main ones. You can get as angry at me as you want. We still have a new President-elect. The least you can do is give him a chance.

Yes he laid out all of his proposals, most politicians do. Now it remains to be seen what he'll actually get done.

Well, I completely disagree with you, too. We have been ignoring critical national needs for decades, the entire span of the Reagan era, which probably came to a long overdue end a week ago this evening. Reagan talked us into the idea that government was the enemy. As a result, we have neglected the pressing need to develop new sources of energy, ignored a health care system that was becoming increasingly costly and decreasingly effective at the same time, ignored our infrastructure, built our foreign policy around oil and let the markets run wild. All of this is a direct result of short-sighted policies that flow directly from Reagan's misunderstanding of the world.

Yelling at the government might make you feel good while you're doing it, but in the long run it harms you. This attitude costs you vast amounts of money by shutting down the one entity that can address some of the most important issues we face: government. It's not a popular thing to say, but it's true.

I have no idea who Tracey P. is, but based on your description I don't see any obvious comparison between her situation and my son's.

And I disagree with you, Paul. It is a fact that revenues to the Treasury increased under Reagan, it is also a fact that spending (under a Democratic Congress) rose faster than the increase in revenue. To be certain, some of the spending was for a buildup in defense; but, in order to get the votes for the tax cuts, Reagan had to agree to an increase in domestic spending. Also known as entitlement programs.

Truthfully, you and I will never agree on this issue. I believe alternative fuels is in our future, I also believe that right now with technology available, we should be drilling to produce as much of our own oil as possible. I don't know of a single person who doesn't see the benefit of our own energy INDEPENDENCE. One thing we can all agree on.

I believe in the power of supply-side economics, that the innovations of our fellow citizens will drive us in new directions, and greater accomplishments. I also believe, firmly, that it is time that Washington D.C. learn to live on a budget. You know, the kind that responsible family men like you and I have had to do for years.

It certainly is. Your guy lost. Get used to it.

I've been used to since 11/5. Just because my guy lost dosen't mean I won't support our new president when he is in office. And it dosen't change the fact that there are some people who voted for him because they think they're getting a check in the mail from him.

So let me get this straight. You ran around your workplace and asked everyone, all 200 who they voted for? and all 200 told you? and it was exactly 1/2 of the full 200 that told you they voted for Obama,right? and 1/2 of that 100 that voted for Obama are expecting checks, right?

1.) Those 50 people are idiots because they don't have a clue what Obama's policies are.

2.) 25% of your company's workforce are idiots

3.) I don't believe you anyway.

That's right!

1.) Those people are idiots because they don't have a clue what Obama's policies are.

2.) Which leads me to believe that 25% of the people in this nation who voted for Obama are idiots.

3.) I don't give a crap what you believe.

That's right!

1.) Those people are idiots because they don't have a clue what Obama's policies are.

2.) Which leads me to believe that 25% of the people in this nation who voted for Obama are idiots.

3.) I don't give a crap what you believe.

You asked everyone of your 200 coworkers who they voted for and everyone of them told you who they voted for? I find it hard to believe that there were'nt at least a few who would not want to reveal who they voted for. Did you manage to get any work done after polling all 200 of your coworkers?

I'd really like to believe that Obama will actually get done what he said he would. Currently he seems like he is just recycling the Clinton administration.

I've been used to since 11/5. Just because my guy lost dosen't mean I won't support our new president when he is in office. And it dosen't change the fact that there are some people who voted for him because they think they're getting a check in the mail from him.

Are you equally critical of the ditto-heads who voted for Bush and McCain

--- because they still think WMDs were in Iraq

--- because they still think Iraq was responsible for 9/11

--- because they still think giving money to people who are filthy rich is going to make themselves better off

--- because they still think Obama is a Muslim

--- because they still think that we don't need to develop new energy sources

--- because they still think that "drill, baby, drill" is the answer to our energy problems

--- because they still haven't even noticed that the national debt has risen under Republicans for the past 28 years, far faster than it ever did under any Democrat

--- because they still haven't noticed that socialism comes in when businesses and industries fail under Republican policies

--- because they still haven't noticed that businesses and industries fail when they are not properly regulated by government

--- because they still think that having 47 million Americans with no health insurance doesn't cost them anything

--- because they still think that having our students fall behind other countries in science and math doesn't weaken our country.

Guest Dumb Democrat

--- because they still think giving money to people who are filthy rich is going to make themselves better off

--- because they still think that "drill, baby, drill" is the answer to our energy problems

--- because they still haven't even noticed that the national debt has risen under Republicans for the past 28 years, far faster than it ever did under any Democrat

--- because they still haven't noticed that socialism comes in when businesses and industries fail under Republican policies

--- because they still haven't noticed that businesses and industries fail when they are not properly regulated by government

--- because they still think that having 47 million Americans with no health insurance doesn't cost them anything

--- because they still think that having our students fall behind other countries in science and math doesn't weaken our country.

I voted for Obama because they told me he would give me money. Does anyone no when my first check will come?

Your guy won, so why the tantum?.... Unless of course you're upset that now you realize your not getting that check?

I'd really like to believe that Obama will actually get done what he said he would. Currently he seems like he is just recycling the Clinton administration.

What did you expect him to do? Recycle the Bush I, Bush II, or Reagan administrations? Considering that many of his cabinet candidates are not from the Clinton administration, and that a fair number are Republicans, it's pretty obvious that he isn't recycling anything. He's building the Obama administration.

Your guy won, so why the tantum?.... Unless of course you're upset that now you realize your not getting that check?

Because, as President-elect Obama pointed out, the election is not the change. It is only an opportunity for the change.

The change is already being bitterly opposed. Fox Noise is already calling Bush's recession "the Obama recession." The man only won election last week, and won't take office for another two months. Calling this "the Obama recession" is disingenuous, but you ditto-heads are going to s**k it right down and spit it right back up.

The winners of the election are going to have to work very hard to make sure that good policies are enacted. They will be bitterly opposed by the powerful interest groups that still side with the Republicans, and by people like you who aren't smart enough to realize that the Republican party has been stealing you blind and destroying your kids' futures.

Apparently you want a free pass to criticize people you don't agree with you, and we're not supposed to fight back. Get used to the criticism. Better still, try looking for some good in the people you don't agree with.

A recitation of facts is not a tantrum. Maybe you're just upset that you have absolutely nothing useful to say.

What did you expect him to do? Recycle the Bush I, Bush II, or Reagan administrations? Considering that many of his cabinet candidates are not from the Clinton administration, and that a fair number are Republicans, it's pretty obvious that he isn't recycling anything. He's building the Obama administration.

Not many from the Clinton administration, you're joking right?