Enough is Enough

Guest Taxman

The Mayor just had almost a full page add in the "Observer" about how the municipal part of the tax bill was going to increase. Where are all the cheerleaders and the brains that are going to tell me that it is great and I shouldn't complain and should want to pay double at??

I'm paying almost 10,000 a year as it is.

Twice a week trash pickup is definately worth it.

A Rec League that has practices at 4:oo- 5:00 o'clock is just as good-- don't the coaches -officials work normal hours? I know most of the officials don't.

Now the Mayor comes and whines that the town had to make pension contributions and thats why we are going to see a "significant" increase.

The Mayor and council of this town sshould really get in tune with reality.

This is a working class town. I think they are too beholden to the special interests that want to turn this town into another Hoboken.

Remember the words "Immenent Domain" and see who it gets used against.

We really need some Starbucks and high end retailers that are going to pay the new minimum wage -7.25, when we have some vibrnt business' that are going to be forced out because of greed and special interest $$$$ :huh:B)B)

The Mayor just had almost a full page add in the "Observer" about how the municipal part of the tax bill was going to increase. Where are all the cheerleaders and the brains that are going to tell me that it is great and I shouldn't complain and should want to pay double at??

A Rec League that has practices at 4:oo- 5:00 o'clock is just as good-- don't the coaches -officials work normal hours?  I know most of the officials don't.

Now the Mayor comes and whines that the town had to make pension contributions and thats why we are going to see a "significant" increase.

This is a working class town. I think they are too beholden to the special interests that want to turn this town into another Hoboken.

We really need some Starbucks and high end retailers that are going to pay the new minimum wage -7.25, when we have some vibrnt business' that are going to be forced out because of greed and special interest $$$$ :rolleyes:  :lol:  :D

Typical NJ Politicians.."It'a all the fault of the Town Employees!!!!!!!" Because we have to make pension contributions (That we HAVENT MADE IN 13 YEARS), and we havent actually saved any of the koney that we were saving by not paying tose contributions, it's the WORKERS fault!!!! yeah, that's it..nevermind the rampant spending, nevermind the fact that the town cant/wont pay it's bills..it's all the fault of the employees!!!!!

Typical NJ Politicians.."It'a all the fault of the Town Employees!!!!!!!" Because we have to make pension contributions (That we HAVENT MADE IN 13 YEARS), and we havent actually saved any of the koney that we were saving by not paying tose contributions, it's the WORKERS fault!!!! yeah, that's it..nevermind the rampant spending, nevermind the fact that the town cant/wont pay it's bills..it's all the fault of the employees!!!!!

I have read on here that the politicians knew the pension payments were going up and they were to put money aside for it. Does anyone know the real story? Were they told of this, and did they foolishly not save for a rainy day? I'd really like to know this. Like many, I am getting tired of hearing the same old song and dance. Thanks for listening.

Guest Guest_voter_*

I have read on here that the politicians knew the pension payments were going up and they were to put money aside for it. Does anyone know the real story? Were they told of this, and did they foolishly not save for a rainy day? I'd really like to know this. Like many, I am getting tired of hearing the same old song and dance. Thanks for listening.

What we need is a new mayor and whole new counsel. ENOUGH OF HIGH TAXES.

Morris County is refusing to make pension payments to the state. An article in the paper stated that all counties should do the same.

If you remember the Observer article, the taxes are going up not only because of pension, but benefits and salaries. I wouldn't feel as bad if the town employees actually lived in the town. They collect our money and run over to Nutley, North Arlington, or in the case of the fire/police dept. they go back down South.

The real story with regards to pensions payments is that all towns have always made payments towards employee pensions.. The employee also pay a %age too.. Whether its 5% or 9%...

During the whitman era, the NJ STATE pension fund was doing very well thru investments, etc... So our wonderful Gov came up with a plan to save ALL towns money by halting there portion of pension payments, but all employees in the state were to continue with their payments. All the $ that was saved was supposed to go toward a property tax decrease (I never saw one) with the understanding that the payments would continue in the future..... So now the towns are paying into the system again... Should've the towns saved $ for future known payments? YES... Did they? Some towns that were fiscally sound did.. Others like kearny are complaining that the payments went up. Did they really go up? NO!!! they are just continuing as it use to be!!!!

hope this helps

sorry for the spelling errors

The real story with regards to pensions payments is that all towns have always made payments towards employee pensions..  The employee also pay a %age too..  Whether its 5% or 9%...

During the whitman era, the NJ STATE pension fund was doing very well thru investments, etc...  So our wonderful Gov came up with a plan to save ALL towns money by halting there portion of pension payments, but all employees in the state were to continue with their payments.  All the $ that was saved was supposed to go toward a property tax decrease (I never saw one) with the understanding that the payments would continue in the future.....    So now the towns are paying into the system again...  Should've the towns saved $ for future known payments?  YES...  Did they?    Some towns that were fiscally sound did..  Others like kearny are complaining that the payments went up.  Did they really go up?  NO!!!  they are just continuing as it use to be!!!!

hope this helps

sorry for the spelling errors

As I understand it, the towns were given a "deferrment" for lack of a better word, to hold off pension payments for several years (not sure of the actual number) but they were told at the beginning they would have to repay the whole accumulated amount that was deferred at the end of that time period (which is now).

As I understand, the payoff is being done in payments over the next few years until the towns are caught up. I don't know how the payment plan is set up. Employee contributions continued thoughout that time and will obviously still continue. The actual money being contributed percentage-wise by the towns remained the same but now the balance that has accumulated over the last 5 years must now be paid back. After the balance is paid, (I don't know long that will take or how much the actual amount is) the contributions the towns make will revert to what is was before the "deferrment" started (whatever the percentage is). If the towns did not anticipate this and plan accordingly, its their own fault.

So the is "increase" in pensions obligations (other than the amount the percentage equates to normally in regard to contract salary increases over the years) is the payment of the balance of the last several years of deferred contributions that now has to be reconciled plus resuming the normal contributions. A very large part of the "increase" in the pension payment obligations this year and in the next few years is the repayment of that accumulated deferred amount. This on top of the investment drop a few years ago had considerable negative effect on the pension system funding.

I agree, I didnt see any change in my taxes either (they went up actually). I don't know what they did with the money.

While I believe this is correct information, (this is how I understand it) if there is someone out there who sees any mis-information or can add information, you please add or correct this.

Hope this makes things a little clearer.

As I understand it, the towns were given a "deferrment" for lack of a better word, to hold off pension payments for several years (not sure of the actual number) but they were told at the beginning they would have to repay the whole accumulated amount that was deferred at the end of that time period (which is now). 

As I understand, the payoff is being done in payments over the next few years until the towns are caught up.  I don't know how the payment plan is set up.  Employee contributions continued thoughout that time and will obviously still continue.  The actual money being contributed percentage-wise by the towns remained the same but now the balance that has accumulated over the last 5 years must now be paid back.  After the balance is paid, (I don't know long that will take or how much the actual amount is) the contributions the towns make will revert to what is was before the "deferrment" started (whatever the percentage is).  If the towns did not anticipate this and plan accordingly, its their own fault. 

So the is "increase" in pensions obligations (other than the amount the percentage equates to normally in regard to contract salary increases over the years) is the payment of the balance of the last several years of deferred contributions that now has to be reconciled plus resuming the normal contributions.  A very large part of the "increase" in the pension payment obligations this year and in the next few years is the repayment of that accumulated deferred amount.  This on top of the investment drop a few years ago had considerable negative effect on the pension system funding.

I agree, I didnt see any change in my taxes either (they went up actually).  I don't know what they did with the money.

While I believe this is correct information, (this is how I understand it) if there is someone out there who sees any mis-information or can add information, you please add or correct this.

Hope this makes things a little clearer.

Here's the truth. The pension systems were working fine. As a matter of fact to good. The systems had a surplus. This surplus was for times when the economy was not doing so well.

This was too much for both political parties to resist they got their greedy paws on it. The fact that both parties got some it is the reason it happened and was not exposed.

Those who were smart knew that someday they would have to pay it back. Those who either were not smart enough or were arrogant enough failed to prepare for the time when payment would be due.

Note: During all this time period all pension members paid their share of payments. The politicians would love for you to believe that their is a big increase in pension cost. The politicians abused the system not your public servants.

• 2 months later...

A Rec League that has practices at 4:oo- 5:00 o'clock is just as good-- don't the coaches -officials work normal hours?  I know most of the officials don't.

We really need some Starbucks and high end retailers that are going to pay the new minimum wage -7.25, when we have some vibrnt business' that are going to be forced out because of greed and special interest $$$$ :wub:  :excl:  :o

Looks like maybe your taxes are $11,000 by now.

It's true that the payment of contributons to the pension plan by the employers was deferred by the illustrious Chrissie Whitman (the same one who declared the air ok after 9/11) while the employees continued to pay their share. Guess what, the employers now have to pay up and towns like Kearny who didn't plan for this are feeling the pain. Thank the Business Administrator or the CFO who robbed the town for a long time before anyone noticed. God help us all.

Morris County is refusing to make pension payments to the state.  An article in the paper stated that all counties should do the same.

If you remember the Observer article, the taxes are going up not only because of pension, but benefits and salaries.  I wouldn't feel as bad if the town employees actually lived in the town.  They collect our money and run over to Nutley, North Arlington, or in the case of the fire/police dept. they go back down South.

Interesting..so you think that an employer ahould be able to dictate where an employee lives? I wonder how YOU would feel if your boss suddenly told YOU where you Had to live??? It's people like YOU that make me glad i resisted the urge to take the PD or FD test...some folks can't seem to understand that "Public Servant" does NOT Equate to "Public Slave"