Development scam

Guest Tax Payer

Guest 2smart4u
A tax abatement is an agreement between a property owner and a town in which the town and the party agree to have the town collect a portion of the real property taxes that the property owner would have paid without the abatement.

You forgot to mention the agreement also includes the required envelopes be distributed.

A tax abatement is an agreement between a property owner and a town in which the town and the party agree to have the town collect a portion of the real property taxes that the property owner would have paid without the abatement.

So the town would have to collect the money from whom? is this money coming from all other property owners that are not in this abatement agreement? please let us know because I want to understand and I am sure other tax payers will want the same.

YOU MEAN THE PORTION THAT THE TOWN WILL HAVE TO COLLECT WILL COME FROM OTHER PROPERTY OWNERS? PLEASE EXPLAIN, THANKS

Am I understanding that the portion that the town of Harrison will collect for these abetements will come from the Harrison property owners that have been living here for years and paying our own? can that be right? If this is correct what kind of respect are we getting? we invested in this town and pay our share and we get a kick in the ass for living here. These outside people come in to build sell and leave town and they get special tax abatements is this true?

The other property owners in town (the homeowners and the business owners who are not special enough to be granted a tax abatement) will experience a drastic increase in taxes because the town will have to make the money from some where, and it isn't going to be from the new property that gets to pay a fraction of their true property taxes for years to come.

It is my understanding that most of the abatements will last for 10 years.

Sweetheart deals for the developers by the Mayor and Council, compliments of the Harrison taxpayers.

The other property owners in town (the homeowners and the business owners who are not special enough to be granted a tax abatement) will experience a drastic increase in taxes because the town will have to make the money from some where, and it isn't going to be from the new property that gets to pay a fraction of their true property taxes for years to come.

It is my understanding that most of the abatements will last for 10 years.

Sweetheart deals for the developers by the Mayor and Council, compliments of the Harrison taxpayers.

I truly believe that this Mayor s**ks, if this is what is going on other people should be told or made to understand what exactly is going on in our town. AND THE MAYOR DOES NOT EVEN PAY TAXES HERE. We are the SUCKERS THE TAXPAYERS, NICE TO KNOW

The explanation is only partially correct. The abatement collected on the property goes entirely to the Town coffers. The County doesn't get its approximate 1/3 nor does the Board of Ed get their normal 1/3. The Town nets out way ahead.

As for the school enrollment, if these doomsdayers did their homework they would know that the enrollments will not go up or, if they temporarily do, it will be minimal. Hoboken is a perfect example. With all of the development that has gone on there the high school has gone from Group 4 (the largest enrollment) to Group 1 (the smallest enrollment).

Some people didn't get what they want today so they are trying to scare everyone else with lies or, at the very best, half truths.

I truly believe that this Mayor s**ks, if this is what is going on other people should be told or made to understand what exactly is going on in our town.  AND THE MAYOR DOES NOT EVEN PAY TAXES HERE.  We are the SUCKERS THE TAXPAYERS, NICE TO KNOW

GO TO THE TOWN MEETING TONIGHT AND TELL THE MAYOR. 10/3 AT 7P.M.

I truly believe that this Mayor s**ks, if this is what is going on other people should be told or made to understand what exactly is going on in our town.  AND THE MAYOR DOES NOT EVEN PAY TAXES HERE.  We are the SUCKERS THE TAXPAYERS, NICE TO KNOW

That is not just the ones being built down by passaic ave that also means when the ones built on South end of the Boulivard are built as well.....You can Thank the Mayor and Higgins for this crap They are probably getting a nice lineing in their pockets......Forget about what it is going to do to our Schools and Traffic....Can't wait to get the hell out of Harrison. and that will be real soon.......It once was a beautiful Town to live in . NO MORE...

That is not just the ones being built  down by passaic ave  that also means when the ones built on South  end of the Boulivard are built as well.....You can Thank the Mayor and Higgins for this crap They are probably getting a nice lineing in their pockets......Forget about what it is going to do to our Schools  and Traffic....Can't wait to get the hell out of Harrison. and that will be real soon.......It once was a beautiful Town to live in .  NO MORE...

It will be again after the Redevelopment gets into high gear. Tax abatements are necessary to get the best developers interested in brownfields land that has been contaniated for a long time, due to previous industrial uses, which are long gone. Pete and Raymond worked long and hard along with many other people to see that Harrison will return to being a great place to live, as it used to be! Give them and the redevelopment a chance and you'll see. It's been a long and hard road, but we're finally starting to see the point where we will reap great rewards.

The explanation is only partially correct. The abatement collected on the property goes entirely to the Town coffers. The County doesn't get its approximate 1/3 nor does the Board of Ed get their normal 1/3. The Town nets out way ahead.

As for the school enrollment, if these doomsdayers did their homework they would know that the enrollments will not go up or, if they temporarily do, it will be minimal. Hoboken is a perfect example. With all of the development that has gone on there the high school has gone from Group 4 (the largest enrollment) to Group 1 (the smallest enrollment).

Some people didn't get what they want today so they are trying to scare everyone else with lies or, at the very best, half truths.

YES, YOU ARE CORRECT BUT THEY DID NOT BUILD 7,000 NEW UNITS, THEY ALTERED THE BUILDINGS THAT WERE ALREADY THERE AND BROUGHT IN A BETTER INFLUX OF PEOPLE. THAT IS NOT WHAT THEY ARE DOING HERE. WAIT AND SEE.

How can you say that? 7,000 two bedroom apts. will definitly generate more school children. Let me see are they all going to be seniors? NO because there is no senior complex. These new people are going to be professionals at some time and period in their lives they WILL have children, everyone wants children in life they are our future.

Guest 2smart4u
It will be again after the Redevelopment gets into high gear. Tax abatements are necessary to get the best developers interested in brownfields land that has been contaniated for a long time, due to previous industrial uses, which are long gone.  Pete and Raymond worked long and hard along with many other people to see that Harrison will return to being a great place to live, as it used to be! Give them and the redevelopment a chance and you'll see. It's been a long and hard road, but we're finally starting to see the point where we will reap great rewards.

This "Guest" must be either Ray or Pete. "Reap great rewards" ??? Oh yeah, I'm sure we're going to reap great rewards. Let's see if I can name them;

1. More traffic 2. Worse parking problems (is that possible). 3. More crime

4. Crisis situation in our schools 4. More cops needed (higher taxes).

I can't wait to see the first sell-out game. 20,000 fans, maybe 6 to 8 thousand cars and a 1,200 car parking garage. Where do 5,000 cars go when the parking deck is full ?? That's another great reward I'm waiting for. Chief Kearns, I hope you have a plan to deal with thousands of unruly fans that can't find a place to park.

This "Guest"  must be either Ray or Pete.  "Reap great rewards" ???  Oh yeah, I'm sure we're going to reap great rewards.  Let's see if I can name them;

1.  More traffic  2. Worse parking problems (is that possible).  3. More crime

4. Crisis situation in our schools  4. More cops needed (higher taxes).

I can't wait to see the first sell-out game.  20,000 fans, maybe 6 to 8 thousand cars and a 1,200 car parking garage.  Where do 5,000 cars go when the parking deck is full ??  That's another great reward I'm waiting for. Chief Kearns, I hope you have a plan to deal with thousands of unruly fans that can't find a place to park.

Kearns had a great plan put into place for when they began the work on 280, and what did that do? TRAFFIC BACKUPS! An hour and a half to get from one end of town to the other at the height of rush hour.

This "Guest"  must be either Ray or Pete.  "Reap great rewards" ???  Oh yeah, I'm sure we're going to reap great rewards.  Let's see if I can name them;

1.  More traffic  2. Worse parking problems (is that possible).  3. More crime

4. Crisis situation in our schools  4. More cops needed (higher taxes).

I can't wait to see the first sell-out game.  20,000 fans, maybe 6 to 8 thousand cars and a 1,200 car parking garage.  Where do 5,000 cars go when the parking deck is full ??  That's another great reward I'm waiting for. Chief Kearns, I hope you have a plan to deal with thousands of unruly fans that can't find a place to park.

No I'm neither Ray or Pete, just someone who personally knows the facts, and doesn't lay in bed at night dreaming up worse case senerios, but hoping for planned development and the resurgence of Harrison.

How can you say that?  7,000 two bedroom apts. will definitly generate more school children.  Let me see are they all going to be seniors?  NO because there is no senior complex.  These new people are going to be professionals at some time and period in their lives they WILL have children, everyone wants children in life they are our future.

and when they have children they move to Montclair just as the families in Hoboken did.If the people with children could afford the cost of these condos,they would be buying houses with adequate space for families.i don't have a dog in this fight .But the triuth and reality is simple.Redevelopement began in Hoboken families were pushed out >yuppies moved in and the enrollment in the school system dropped,DRAMATICALLLY.So stop trying to frighten people with dooms day scenarios and start worrying whether you'll be able to afford to live here.That's the reality.

Rock on.

Guest 2smart4u
and when they have children they move to Montclair just as the families in Hoboken did.If the people with children could afford the cost of these condos,they would be buying houses with adequate space for families.i don't have a dog in this fight .But the triuth and reality is simple.Redevelopement began in Hoboken families were pushed out >yuppies moved in and the enrollment in the school system dropped,DRAMATICALLLY.So stop trying to frighten people with dooms day scenarios and start  worrying whether you'll be able to afford to live here.That's the reality.

Rock on.

"and when they have children they move to Montclair" ??? That's one of the dumber statements I've read here. Consider this; If you could afford to live in Montclair, and you plan to send your future kids to school there, why would you stop off in Harrison for a few years ?? Why not just move to Montclair now ?? Housing prices continue to rise, there's no point in buying later rather than earlier. You sound like one of the Zombies.

Guest 2smart4u
No I'm neither Ray or Pete, just someone who personally knows the facts, and doesn't lay in bed at night dreaming up worse case senerios, but hoping for planned development and the resurgence of Harrison.

This is your brain on drugs.

Eight years into the redevelopment and my taxes have gone up each year, and so have rents in the town. If we are reaping the benifits of redevelopment, when do the taxpayers get their share?

"and when they have children they move to Montclair"  ???  That's one of the dumber statements I've read here.  Consider this;  If you could afford to live in Montclair, and you plan to send your future kids to school there, why would you stop off in Harrison for a few years ??  Why not just move to Montclair now ??  Housing prices continue to rise, there's no point in buying later rather than earlier. You sound like one of the Zombies.

you might think it's dumb but it's statistically accurate.Obviously you know nothing about real estate .Check the facts with Hoboken or Montclair realtors.You see the young people move to Hoboken when they are working in the City.The party life, you social moron.They meet someone ,they get married ,have children and look for a bigger place to raise them.You following this ,you who never left Harrison.They have money .They can still commute to the City for the big buck job.Direct service to N.Y.

So try this get off the internet stop trying to scare everyone.Buy property while the market is down not up.Go to Hoboken have a beer .Go to Montclair have a beer ,try Eagan"s and sons.Ask people where they come from and where they work.They don't move to Montclair right away because they don't have freaking kids you Koolaid drinking fool.

I went on this for laughs.Why the hell am I responding?I don't live in Harrison but it's obvious some of you people don't want to move on.What a shame