Bookbags Too Heavy!

Guest Guest_anonymous_*

And they did not have to carry their back pack all day long.  This is the first year the students have to carry the packs all day.  They are heavy and when they get wet from rain or snow we will have even more problems.  I have no problem having my children answer for themselves and take responsibility for their actions, but carrying heavy back packs is a physical problem and our children will pay the price with back problems later.  No matter how big you are or how much in shape you are your back suffers when you constantly carry heavy objects.  This is a money issue for the school and a health issue for the parents

This is an issue that needs to be adressed as well as the mess of the school, I have seen a young Man coming from washington School in tears because His back was hurting him really bad as He put it these kids need someone to stand up for them, I have no children in school now but if I did I would be at a lawyers Office REAL FAST....ABOUT ALL THESE ISSUES....These kids are going to have some seriouse problems...so Parents please do not waste time on the Computer Go DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT NOW.

no get it straight, i am at work at 6:31 a.m. more than i can say for you.

you don't see me @6:30 am at the computer, but your sorry ass is. you should be working not talking shit ass wipe. hope your ass gets fire. anyway this post was for concern parents or relatives that have kids. So go do what you do best nothing

IS THIS COUPLE'S CHILD 'ALREADY' DISABLED FROM BIRTH OR INJURY, or ARE YOU 'WISHING' OR 'HOPING' THAT IT HAPPENS TO AN 'innocent' CHILD?

Don't take out your dislike or problems with the parents on a child.  That would be 'dispicable' and extremely 'lowhaned' of anyone to do!!!

If you can't wish a child well and 'all of the best', than it is 'better' to say NOTHING.

NO MY CHILD IS NOT DISABLED. MY CHILD IS PERFECTLY HEALTHY. THIS PERSON WHO IS SAYING ALL THIS DOESN'T HAVE A HEART BUT A ROCK. SOMEDAY SHE WILL HAVE HER OWN KIDS AND LETS SEE IF THIS EVER HAPPENS TO HER OR HIS CHILD. THIS ARE PEOPLE WHO ARE HEARTLESS

IS THIS COUPLE'S CHILD 'ALREADY' DISABLED FROM BIRTH OR INJURY, or ARE YOU 'WISHING' OR 'HOPING' THAT IT HAPPENS TO AN 'innocent' CHILD?

Don't take out your dislike or problems with the parents on a child.  That would be 'dispicable' and extremely 'lowhaned' of anyone to do!!!

If you can't wish a child well and 'all of the best', than it is 'better' to say NOTHING.

I AGREE. THIS GUY OR WOMAN MUST BE MISSING A HEART. I HOPE THAT THEY HAVE NO CHILDREN, BECAUSE IF THEY DID, IT DOESN'T APPEAR AS THOUGH THEY WOUD HAVE ANY 'SYMPATHY' IF THEIR OWN CHILDREN WERE IS THIS PREDICAMENT.

Guest PARENT
Can you believe that the Washington School district, is forcing our children to wear there bookbags at all times? They have to carry it to every class, and during lunchtime. A lot of kids are complaining of back pain, what were they thinking? There's an article in the Observer stating that the "Bookbags are too heavy" it causes back problems for kids that carry more than 10 % of there body weight! If you have any concerns about your child, then come to the Parent/Teacher nigh on Oct. 4 2006. At about 6:00 p.m.! WE NEED TO DISCUSS THIS ISSUE!

--Anonymous

THE SCHOOL CAN'T FORCE A CHILD TO WEAR A BACKPACK FILLED WITH BOOKS UNLESS THE PARENTS ALLOW IT! LET THE TEACHERS CARRY A BACKPACK ALL DAY WITH THE SAME AMOUNT OF BOOKS ON THEIR BACK AS THE KIDS ARE EXPECTED TO WEAR! THE SCHOOL NEEDS TO PROVIDE A PLACE FOR THE KIDS TO KEEP THEIR BELONGINGS, NOT ON THEIR BACKS.

Guest Harrison Parent

In the first place, if all the parents in Washington School get together and go to a Board of Education Meeting and discuss the problem about the bookbags, then maybe something will be done. Unless all the parents unite and join forces and go the the Board nothing will get done. The principals of the schools do not have any power to change anything, only the Board does. But no - the parents will not do that. They just don't understand the power they have if they join forces. So if they're really upset about the heavy bookbags, which I think is a real problem, the only way they can do anything is to go directly to a Board of Education meeting and voice their opinions. If they don't, nothing will happen. Wake up parents and do your jobs - protect your children!!!

In the first place, if all the parents in Washington School get together and go to a Board of Education Meeting and discuss the problem about the bookbags, then maybe something will be done.  Unless all the parents unite and join forces and go the the Board nothing will get done.  The principals of the schools do not have any power to change anything, only the Board does.  But no - the parents will not do that.  They just don't understand the power they have if they join forces.  So if they're really upset about the heavy bookbags, which I think is a real problem, the only way they can do anything is to go directly to a Board of Education meeting and voice their opinions.  If they don't, nothing will happen.  Wake up parents and do your jobs - protect your children!!!

YOU HAVE A VERY GOOD POINT. I DID SPOKE WITH SOMEONE FROM THE B.O.E. AND SHE TOLD ME TO WRITE HER A LETTER IN REGARDS TO MY CONCERNS WHICH I DID AND I FAX IT TO HER. SHE SEND IT TO WASHINGTON SCHOOL AND INSTEAD OF THE PRINCIPAL CALLING ME AT WORK HE CALLED ME AT HOME KNOWING THAT I WAS WORKING. I PUT MY WORK PHONE ON THE LETTER,BUT STILL HE CALLS ME AT HOME. I BROUGHT UP THE SUBJECT AT THE PARENTS NIGHT, BUT THEY HAD SO MANY EXCUSES ABOUT NO ROOM AND NO MONEY FOR LOCKERS. MY NEXT STEP IS TO MAKE APETITION SO ALL THE PARENTS COULD SIGN IT. IT WAS ONLY 7 PARENTS THAT I KNOW WHO DID THE COMPLAINING WE NEED MORE PARENTS TO GET INVOLVED

MAYBE YOUR CHILD CAN GO ON DISABILITY LIKE YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND, WITH A BAD BACK.

[/quot

This is proof that you can't get a serious conversation going on any of these sites. You should be ashamed of yourself, but I'm certain you won't be....

This is for the parent concerned about her child carrying a heavy backpack all day, I am a Kearny school parent and our schools have the same problems. One solution we (the teachers and parents) can up with was whatever extra text books the classes had would be given to the students for the year. If they have homework in that subject, having an extra text book at home solves the problem of carrying the class book. It doesn't help with every subject, but every little bit helps. Contact your school/principal, they are sensitive to the topic of heavy backpacks and are open to suggestions. another suggestion I'd like to share is "taking turns" bringing home the heavier books each night. Find a classmate in your area, on alternate nights each child can bring home a heavy text so not everyone is weighted down. My son is a solid, healthy 12 year old and feels the neck and back pains of carrying a heavy backpack to the 3rd floor. It's definitely not the same school system we attended. And backpacks on wheels aren't the answer, my son was told he couldn't roll it up the stair, it had to be put on his back. We're keeping the chiropractors in business for sure!

I agree. There are some cold-hearted people on this site. They are just children. Grow up.

MAYBE YOUR CHILD CAN GO ON DISABILITY LIKE YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND, WITH A BAD BACK.

[/quot

This is proof that you can't get a serious conversation going on any of these sites. You should be ashamed of yourself, but I'm certain you won't be....

This is for the parent concerned about her child carrying a heavy backpack all day, I am a Kearny school parent and our schools have the same problems. One solution we (the teachers and parents) can up with was whatever extra text books the classes had would be given to the students for the year. If they have homework in that subject, having an extra text book at home solves the problem of carrying the class book. It doesn't help with every subject, but every little bit helps. Contact your school/principal, they are sensitive to the topic of heavy backpacks and are open to suggestions. another suggestion I'd like to share is "taking turns" bringing home the heavier books each night. Find a classmate in your area, on alternate nights each child can bring home a heavy text so not everyone is weighted down. My son is a solid, healthy 12 year old and feels the neck and back pains of carrying a heavy backpack to the 3rd floor. It's definitely not the same school system we attended. And backpacks on wheels aren't the answer, my son was told he couldn't roll it up the stair, it had to be put on his back. We're keeping the chiropractors in business for sure!

You are the first person on this site to make any kind of sense. I am also a Kearny school parent, thank goodness I am not going through this perdicament yet, but I am sure it is coming. Your advice is good and I will keep it in mind. Parents have to stop whining, because their children will here it and they will start doing it. If you think that this is such a problem, by all means do something about it. Good luck.

Guest Uncle Jim

Your points are valid. The school has failed. And it is the little things as well as the big things that matter. A child who is sitting in class with an aching back and neck is not going to give 100 % attention to his classwork. The toxic school issue is important but so is the well being of our children physically and mentally. This is an issue that needs to be addressed. According to the school it is a budget problem no money to do anything about lockers and it is a time issue because instead of homeroom the kids are using that as classroom time. A solution needs to be found soon or these kids will continue to suffer.

[/quot

Have the current Administrator set the example, Mr. Doffont should walk the halls with a set of textbooks on his broad shoulders? What a policy maker he is!

Your points are valid. The school has failed. And it is the little things as well as the big things that matter. A child who is sitting in class with an aching back and neck is not going to give 100 % attention to his classwork. The toxic school issue is important but so is the well being of our children physically and mentally. This is an issue that needs to be addressed. According to the school it is a budget problem no money to do anything about lockers and it is a time issue because instead of homeroom the kids are using that as classroom time. A solution needs to be found soon or these kids will continue to suffer.

[/quot

Have the current Administrator set the example, Mr. Doffont should walk the halls with a set of textbooks on his broad shoulders? What a policy maker he is!

how about the students back problems are a result of aching muscles that they never use and should be using but fdont in front of the tv screen or the computer. if the parents are that concerned make sure that your children are wearing the bags properly mnay people use only one strap and that causes undue strain on one side of the body if they wear them properly they may not have as many problems

Guest Harrison Parent

[/quot

You are all still missing the point. Nothing will be done until you all join forces and go the a Board of Ed Meeting - believe me - I'm an older parent who went through this years ago with my own children - the only way to get anything done is to go to the Board of Ed and call them out on this. This was very poor planning - as usual - and no matter what the Board is ultimately responsible for making these poor - not thought out decisions!!! So please parents wake up - do your jobs - be parents and voice your concerns at the next Board of Ed meeting- petitions are good - but seeing the parents at the Board Meeting will solve your problem!!! -

Guest Harrison Parent
how about the students back problems are a result of aching muscles that they never use and should be using but fdont in front of the tv screen or the computer. if the parents are that concerned make sure that your children are wearing the bags properly mnay people use only one strap and that causes undue strain on one side of the body if they wear them properly they may not have as many problems

You my friend are really missing the point. Yes the bookbags are heavy, but common sense tells you that they shouldn't have to carry these books all day through school, bring them with them when they go to lunch, etc. Along with the bookbag, they will have to carry their winter coats, hats, mittons, umbrellas, etc. also, there is no place to put them - so the problem is not just their bookbags!!! Go the the Board of Education Meeting - as a parents' group - all together and voice your concerns and demand as their parents that something be done about this situation - complaining about it on this board will get nothing accomplished - so do your jobs act like parents and to to the Board of Ed Meeting!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest???
Can you believe that the Washington School district, is forcing our children to wear there bookbags at all times? They have to carry it to every class, and during lunchtime. A lot of kids are complaining of back pain, what were they thinking? There's an article in the Observer stating that the "Bookbags are too heavy" it causes back problems for kids that carry more than 10 % of there body weight! If you have any concerns about your child, then come to the Parent/Teacher nigh on Oct. 4 2006. At about 6:00 p.m.! WE NEED TO DISCUSS THIS ISSUE!

--Anonymous

Has anything been done about these book bags Yet.....What is the High school on 5th and Harrison Ave going to be , is this where the kids in Holy Cross Annex are going to be going...Just interested PS HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE HAVE A SAFE ONE...

A kid's desk or locker in school is an early personal experience. It makes the school part of a kid's home to have a stash for his gear on school grounds.

This donkey around the backpacks is easy on everyone but the kids and their parents it seems.

Does anyone who favors the kids carrying in their backpacks all their personal learning materials and personal items of clothing and eyeglasses and such have an explanation why it's being done?

What's with school busing in Harrison when the new homes get finished on Rodgers Stadium and the surroundings?

I do have children , five to be exact and they survived the system and I did not make excuses for them , today they are tax paying law abiding harrison taxpayers that can stand on their own two feet without mommy or daddy's interfearance

and they didn't carry all there books every where in the school