So much for putting the country first

Guest Guest

Guest *Autonomous*
I can see this how this constant denigration of that woman can wear on them, even if they don't support Palin's positions.

Most of the denigration is because she is a woman - a mother with many children and therefore and she can't handle the VP job, she's a lousy mother because her daughter got pregnant, her hairdo, blah, blah, blah.

Meanwhile, her accomplishments are denigrated. It takes quite a bit to go from small town mayor to governor of a state and getting the highest approval rating of all the governors.

Those, here who have criticized her, I'm sure have not accomplished 1/20 as much as Governor Palin.

Not so much because she's a woman. Having a pregnant 17 y/o certainly does say something about her position on abstinence-only education. As far as the highest approval rating thing-she's been advocating giving Alaskans FREE CASH!!! from the state's huge budget surplus. Of course she's popular.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin

Don't they come up with the most incisive, salient points. God forbid that you actually like the country enough to want to stay in it and vacation in it.

Please. The right-wing needs to build a dialogue that any opposition to her is because of sexism because she is a radical religious right nutjob-far to the right of most Americans. I notice you didn't argue any of my earlier points.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest *Autonomous*

One more thing on looking through the Fox News archives-to find another unwed teen pregnancy that Fox didn't slam you pretty much have to go back to the time God knocked up Mary. It's Only Alright If You're A Republicanism in action.

Guest 2smart4u
You're missing the point, which is no surprise. Where is the evidence that Palin has the kind of mind required of someone who could, in an instant, become the most powerful person in the world?

Where is the evidence of significant intellectual gifts?

Of intellectual curiosity?

Of a depth of understanding of a wide range of issues?

Do you really think for example, that she understands international economics? She can probably parrot back her party's talking points, but we should demand more than that, from both sides.

We don't allow doctors to become board certified until they pass rigorous oral exams, demonstrating their mastery of the field. It scares the s--t out of me that we select presidents and vice presidents without a similar process. Both candidates should undergo an intense grilling from journalists selected by the opposition, or maybe by the opposition itself - not for an hour but for an entire day, non-stop, televised live. Let's see how much knowledge they really have, and how they hold up under that kind of pressure. In fact, let's make it three days of grilling for each candidate. We would soon see who knows the issues and who doesn't.

Palin's stand on teaching creationism in the public schools alone tells me she is either pandering to the religious right or, more likely, actually believes that. If she actually believes it, then she's ignorant on fundamental points of science, education and law. That's not acceptable in a Vice President. I would like to see someone ask her, for example, whether she has ever read any of the leading Supreme Court cases that explain why creationism may not be taught in the public schools. I'll bet she hasn't. Either way, I'd like to know whether she understands the reasons behind those decisions --- not whether she agrees, but whether she even understands the issues. I'll bet she doesn't. This is what I mean by a lack of intellectual curiosity, and I add a lack of respect for those who know more about certain issues than she does.

We've just suffered through nearly eight years under an ignorant and arrogant president who thought he knew everything. Palin may be a nice person, but she displays the same qualities that I see in Bush: the radicalism, the arrogance, the dismissive treatment of those who don't agree with her. The only differences are that she wasn't born rich, didn't travel in the most respected circles and (what's really scary) isn't as well-educated. There are good things about her not having been privileged, but her limited travel also means that she probably lacks a sophistication that we should require in a president.

A BA in journalism from an OK school, then a life in a remote town in Alaska, followed by less than two years as governor of a remote state do not establish the qualifications that should be required of a president. Maybe Palin can overcome that. Maybe if she's asked hard questions about a wide variety of issues, she'll demonstrate a surprising depth of knowledge. If she does, then hats off to her. But until she does that, the presumption is that she's not qualified for the Vice Presidency - because nothing in her background suggests that she is.

So people ask, "well, what about Obama?" It's a fair question, and there's a good answer. Obama is brilliant. He has a world-class mind, as demonstrated by his academic credentials and his performance on the campaign trail. He has demonstrated his grasp of the issues. He has brilliantly run and managed an insurgent campaign that took down the Clintons. You may not agree with him, but he's a heavyweight. Most imporant, perhaps, he has taken a keen interest in the issues for many years. Contrast this with Palin, who admits she has little interest in foreign policy, and if you're being honest, you'll see a stark contrast in Obama's favor.

Obama's a former cokehead who was friends with a terrorist. He's spent exactly 144 days in the Senate where he accomplished nothing. He has NO executive experience, he has never run or managed anything. His campaign is run by professional campaign managers, he reads prepared speeches off a teleprompter and smiles a lot. "He has demonstrated his grasp of the issues."?? Opposing the surge and wanting to retreat from Iraq doesn't show a very tight grasp of the war (or doesn't that count as an issue)? "brilliant, world-class mind, keen interest in the issues, a heavyweight"? You determined all this how? You can spin Obama all you like, the fact is Palin is the new rock star in this campaign and the female vote is going to make her the next VP.

Obama's a former cokehead who was friends with a terrorist. He's spent exactly 144 days in the Senate where he accomplished nothing. He has NO executive experience, he has never run or managed anything. His campaign is run by professional campaign managers, he reads prepared speeches off a teleprompter and smiles a lot. "He has demonstrated his grasp of the issues."?? Opposing the surge and wanting to retreat from Iraq doesn't show a very tight grasp of the war (or doesn't that count as an issue)? "brilliant, world-class mind, keen interest in the issues, a heavyweight"? You determined all this how? You can spin Obama all you like, the fact is Palin is the new rock star in this campaign and the female vote is going to make her the next VP.

Tens of millions of Americans have determined Obama's qualifications by actually listening to him and actually watching him.

He doesn't just read prepared speeches. He has given plenty of spontaneous interviews, including one with O'Reilly the other night.

He is not friends with a terrorist.

He has accomplished a lot in the Senate, including ethics legislation that he worked on with a veteran Republican, Richard Lugar.

He has executive experience running the most remarkable presidential campaign in recent history. You don't get to where he is without executive management skills.

He was right about the Iraq war. If we had done as he said, we wouldn't be in the war at all. That would have allowed us to focus our efforts on destroying the terrorist operations where they were.

So as usual, you're lying.

Just because some people haven't figured out yet that Palin doesn't have any depth doesn't mean they won't find out. Why do you think the McCain campaign won't let her do any interviews? They know she's not ready, and there's your proof in their own behavior. Not that the facts will make the slightest dent in your thick skull.

In other words, you have no answers so you try to change the subject to the other guy.

But for Palin - well, hey, she's the rock star. Wasn't that exactly your criticism of Obama?

So let me get thsi straight. If a guy you don't like is popular, that proves he's unfit.

But if someone you do like is popular, that proves she's fit.

Uh-huh. In other words, you're thinking about this the same way you think about everything else - you don't think.

Guest 2smart4u
Tens of millions of Americans have determined Obama's qualifications by actually listening to him and actually watching him.

He doesn't just read prepared speeches. He has given plenty of spontaneous interviews, including one with O'Reilly the other night.

He is not friends with a terrorist.

He has accomplished a lot in the Senate, including ethics legislation that he worked on with a veteran Republican, Richard Lugar.

He has executive experience running the most remarkable presidential campaign in recent history. You don't get to where he is without executive management skills.

He was right about the Iraq war. If we had done as he said, we wouldn't be in the war at all. That would have allowed us to focus our efforts on destroying the terrorist operations where they were.

So as usual, you're lying.

Just because some people haven't figured out yet that Palin doesn't have any depth doesn't mean they won't find out. Why do you think the McCain campaign won't let her do any interviews? They know she's not ready, and there's your proof in their own behavior. Not that the facts will make the slightest dent in your thick skull.

"..........determined Obama's qualifications by watching him"?? That's interesting. What particular qualification is determined by watching him scratch his ass? How about picking his nose?

Guest Patriot
Don't they come up with the most incisive, salient points. God forbid that you actually like the country enough to want to stay in it and vacation in it.

It is absolutely hilarious reading the rabid spins, distortions and outright lies about Sarah Palin. The Kool-Aid left is in a panic, they see the excitement over this woman as a threat to their rock star Obama. I hope they keep it going right up to election. Women will decide this election and the more women feel Palin's being picked on unfairly, the more Palin will win their support. How ironic it will be that the Loonies helped elect McCain/Palin.

Guest Radagast
"..........determined Obama's qualifications by watching him"?? That's interesting. What particular qualification is determined by watching him scratch his ass? How about picking his nose?

OK ... Once again, I have to ask the folks on this board with more than a bed post for a brain ... Why do you respond to this stuff? ... The above response is typical of just about everything that this mindless nit wit contributes to this board. It thrives on your attention. It defines stupid. It is an itchy scab and if you keep scratching it, it will keep bleeding. It's bad enough when left alone, it's worse when you give it something to respond to.

There have been more than a few posts here that I don't agree with and many I do. Most of the arguments have a logical basis. Bern and Bryan (where is Bryan BTW?) and Loki and a few 'Guests' have presented a good case for McCain and the Republicans over time in spite of the fact that I don't agree. The above post doesn't even qualify as toilet paper, yet some will atempt to respond. STOP IT!! It may not go away if ignored but it will have much less satisfaction without attention.

I've never seen him scratch his ass or pick his nose. I've seen him speak to small crowds, large crowds and interviewers, and in each setting he demonstrated maturity, intelligence and a thorough command of the issues.

I've never seen him scratch his ass or pick his nose. I've seen him speak to small crowds, large crowds and interviewers, and in each setting he demonstrated maturity, intelligence and a thorough command of the issues.

h

LOL !! In every speech he's given, he's never talked about issues, but he uses the word "change" and "hope" a lot.

OK ... Once again, I have to ask the folks on this board with more than a bed post for a brain ... Why do you respond to this stuff? ... The above response is typical of just about everything that this mindless nit wit contributes to this board. It thrives on your attention. It defines stupid. It is an itchy scab and if you keep scratching it, it will keep bleeding. It's bad enough when left alone, it's worse when you give it something to respond to.

There have been more than a few posts here that I don't agree with and many I do. Most of the arguments have a logical basis. Bern and Bryan (where is Bryan BTW?) and Loki and a few 'Guests' have presented a good case for McCain and the Republicans over time in spite of the fact that I don't agree. The above post doesn't even qualify as toilet paper, yet some will atempt to respond. STOP IT!! It may not go away if ignored but it will have much less satisfaction without attention.

OK ....Let me try to understand your complaint. The lefties can make rediculously untrue claims and statements in support of Obama, but if someone mocks these rediculously untrue claims and statements with a humorous retort, you become indignant and offended?? Well, Excuse me!! Where is your outrage over mean-spirited comments of Sarah Palin's daughter. Selective outrage ?? You're just another phony Loony.

h

LOL !! In every speech he's given, he's never talked about issues, but he uses the word "change" and "hope" a lot.

Then how can the Republicans claim to know how much his proposals will cost?

He does use the words "change" and "hope" a lot, just like McCain talks about his POW experience and putting country first a lot. But Obama also takes very specific policy positions. The media don't usually put those on the front page, but if you pay close attention, you'll see that Obama has been very specific on the issues.

Guest *Autonomous*
It is absolutely hilarious reading the rabid spins, distortions and outright lies about Sarah Palin. The Kool-Aid left is in a panic, they see the excitement over this woman as a threat to their rock star Obama. I hope they keep it going right up to election. Women will decide this election and the more women feel Palin's being picked on unfairly, the more Palin will win their support. How ironic it will be that the Loonies helped elect McCain/Palin.

No, ironic is the guy who labels Clinton the Ice Queen and uses terms that are both racist and sexist to describe Obama's wife suddenly becoming a champion of femininity. What was it you said about John Edwards (who was exposed by the exact same source)?

Oh yeah:

John Edwards, who ran for the defeatocratic nomination on a moralistic platform, has been caught with his pants down. The hero of many Loony Lefties has been shown to be a sleezy hypocrit. Of course, he's just following the example of two other sleelzy defeatocrats, Bubba Clinton and Kennedy. Too bad he didn't get the nomination, I would have loved to see the DNC have a collective heart attack when he exposed.

Guest Patriot
No, ironic is the guy who labels Clinton the Ice Queen and uses terms that are both racist and sexist to describe Obama's wife suddenly becoming a champion of femininity. What was it you said about John Edwards (who was exposed by the exact same source)?

Oh yeah:

Reading comprehension is a real problem for you. My criticism of Michelle Obama was that for the first 43 years (+/-) of her life she was not proud to be an American. Sex or race does not have anything to do with not liking your country. (Is that difficult to understand??)

My criticism of John Edwards as it turns out is justified. The guy who ran on a moralistic platform has been caught running around on his sick wife. The democratic party can really pick them; Barack, 144 days on the job. Michelle, doesn't like America. Edwards, morally bankrupt. Biden, 36 years in the "Good 'ol boys network" (we can really expect change from him)!

Guest Radagast
OK ....Let me try to understand your complaint. The lefties can make rediculously untrue claims and statements in support of Obama, but if someone mocks these rediculously untrue claims and statements with a humorous retort, you become indignant and offended?? Well, Excuse me!! Where is your outrage over mean-spirited comments of Sarah Palin's daughter. Selective outrage ?? You're just another phony Loony.

That is not my point and you know it. The reply I refered to wasn't about issue. It was simply vile and sick much like it's author. If you want to defend that, be my 'guest'.

I find the irony of your post hilarious. Hilarious in that for months my inbox in constantly bombarded by "rabid spins, distortions and outright lies about Barack Obama" Well it now appears as if the shoe is on the other foot. I s**ks when people spread lies about your favorite politcal contender doesn't it?

Cry me a river, asshole!

Reading comprehension is a real problem for you. My criticism of Michelle Obama was that for the first 43 years (+/-) of her life she was not proud to be an American. Sex or race does not have anything to do with not liking your country. (Is that difficult to understand??)

My criticism of John Edwards as it turns out is justified. The guy who ran on a moralistic platform has been caught running around on his sick wife. The democratic party can really pick them; Barack, 144 days on the job. Michelle, doesn't like America. Edwards, morally bankrupt. Biden, 36 years in the "Good 'ol boys network" (we can really expect change from him)!

Our criticism of you is that you're a complete idiot.

And if you want a second opinion, you're a hypocrite.

Both sides may be guilty, but they're far from equal. The right has all but cornered the market on nastiness and lies. Sure, you can cite examples of hateful remarks and lies coming from the left. But you have only to look at the comment sections at the ends of many web news articles, or the debunkings on snopes, or the posts on KOTW to see that the vitriol and lies spewed by the right are an order of magnitude more than from the left in both quantity and nastiness. That doesn't make it ok in either case. And I'm not arguing that "they do it more" is any better excuse than "they do it too". But it does reveal a fundamental difference. On the left, the nastiness and dishonesty represents a fringe element. On the right, it has permeated the mainstream ideology and the basic character of the Republican party.

Guest *Autonomous*

Whatever the provocation, using racist and sexist terms makes you racist and sexist. Not to mention that you didn't address your old term for Clinton.

So what if the story about Palin is true and she did the same thing? Why is McCain's running around on his crippled wife not important? Why is Obama's wife a factor but not Palin's daughter? Why is a long-term politician like Biden no good when McCain has been in the same system for nearly as long? You're a hypocrite-which Chomsky defined as the refusal to apply to ourselves the same standards we apply to others.

I find the irony of your post hilarious. Hilarious in that for months my inbox in constantly bombarded by "rabid spins, distortions and outright lies about Barack Obama" Well it now appears as if the shoe is on the other foot. I s**ks when people spread lies about your favorite politcal contender doesn't it?

Cry me a river, asshole!

Keith, it's clear to me you didn't comprehend Patriot's post. He said "he thought the posts about Palin were hilarious and he hoped they would continue until the election". Keith, hilarious means funny, not crying.

Keith, it's clear to me you didn't comprehend Patriot's post. He said "he thought the posts about Palin were hilarious and he hoped they would continue until the election". Keith, hilarious means funny, not crying.

I know exactly what they meant. He was whining hence "cry me a river".

Of course there will be spins, distortions and at times lies. Show me one political campaign that has not had them.

Of course you are happy about all this teeth gnashing and drama over Palin. We now see that McCain's pick was a good, effective pick for his campaign (and he was heavily criticized when he picked her). The Obamites are worried and it shows.

I've seen some really nasty comments about Palin, her daughter, and many of Palin's strong positions. The nasty comment posters don't realize that their comments don't play well in Middle America. You can bet many of the denigrating comments are shown to Middle America with "look what the latte liberals think of you".

Guest *Autonomous*
Of course there will be spins, distortions and at times lies. Show me one political campaign that has not had them.

Of course you are happy about all this teeth gnashing and drama over Palin. We now see that McCain's pick was a good, effective pick for his campaign (and he was heavily criticized when he picked her). The Obamites are worried and it shows.

I've seen some really nasty comments about Palin, her daughter, and many of Palin's strong positions. The nasty comment posters don't realize that their comments don't play well in Middle America. You can bet many of the denigrating comments are shown to Middle America with "look what the latte liberals think of you".

Between the left's worship of Obama and the right's worship of Palin it has become clear that the American people think this is American Idol. Most American's have no idea what either candidates actual positions are. We deserve what we get whoever wins.