Private Schools Cost Less

KOTW

After school activities... one could only hope.

Before we go all crazy and expect our teachers to allot a little extra time to our children AFTER school...

How about BEFORE school.

How hard is it to provide parents with a short, simple, thoughtful school supply list???

I don't think I'm asking for much.

But really, why assist us in preparing our children for the approaching school year? :rolleyes:

Nah, we would much rather run around like chickens with our heads cut off after school has begun.

After the supplies have dwindled to nothingness on store shelves.

Extinct because other well managed schools have supplied their kids and parents with a silly shopping list - the nerve of them!

The same teachers that cannot jot down 10 items on a list and email it to the school for us are the same ones throwing a 2yr old fit when our kids cannot come up with the oddball crap on their wanted list.

Teachers: a little bit of prep goes along way - think about it - it just might work.

So for those of you with hopes of after school activities and college dreams for your children...

You might have to set your hopes a little lower.

I see private school in my child's very near future.

I TOTALLY agree, especially about the after school program comments. A friend of mine approached the Mayor a few years ago about to discuss the creation of a Boys and Girls Club in Harrison. Nothing ever happened with it. That is a terrific organization and would be such an asset to the town and the children! And it could put the Recreation Center to use for more than a handful of people. Our children need a safe, supervised program after school. Other communities have them, no reason why we don't.

Quit patting yourself on the back for your wildly successful family. If you know so much, or anyone reading this post knows, what is the percentage of students from Haarison HS that go to college after graduation. IMO its less than 50%. This is a complete disgrace. You are right, the parents must be involved, but the curriculum and teacher effort must change. The teachers knock the students over getting out at 3:00 to get the heck out of Harrison and beat traffic on 280. The whole system must be changed by an experienced educator, not pension hounds.

My children went to HHS and also graduated from College. Yes all of them!!! The teachers are not the best but if you as a parent are involved in your childrens education your child will get the best education out of HHS. Yes there are after school activities - sports, cheerleading, etc. also there are activities for parents too - such as PTA, site base management team - helping your child with homework - getting them additional help if they need it - just because you send your child to a private school that doesn't automatically give you a better education - wait up you as a parent must also do your share = not just the teachers. I'm so tired of hearing people complain about the education that Harrison supplies - it's not the best I agree it could be a lot better - but you have to start blaming the parents also not just the teachers!!!!! You have to be involved with your child - if not you are a failure as a parent. Yes, also my husband and I worked full-time jobs but we put our time in as parents and were involved in every aspect of our childrens education and in every other activity that they became involved in. Yes, they all graduated from college and have careers (no before you state that they must be employed by the Town of Harrison - they aren't) I know a lot of children that went to HHS and finished college and have careers - so no everyone that goes to Harrison High isn't a waste as so many of you on this web site claim. And I would also like to inform you that alot of my children's friends did go to "private schools" and low and behold they didn't go to college and of my lord they became "waste's" as you on the site call HHS students. So as you can see sometimes private school kids don't make anything of themselves either!!!!!!

Nice start but not enough substance to sway me. I know children who go to HHS - love it because of the light work load.

Parents need to get involved more than they are. Tough though when the majority of the families here are dual wage earners outside the home.

But they must find a way.

My children went to HHS and also graduated from College. Yes all of them!!! The teachers are not the best but if you as a parent are involved in your childrens education your child will get the best education out of HHS. Yes there are after school activities - sports, cheerleading, etc.

just because you send your child to a private school that doesn't automatically give you a better education - wait up you as a parent must also do your share = not just the teachers. I'm so tired of hearing people complain about the education that Harrison supplies - it's not the best I agree it could be a lot better - but you have to start blaming the parents also not just the teachers!!!!! You have to be involved with your child - if not you are a failure as a parent.

I know a lot of children that went to HHS and finished college and have careers - so no everyone that goes to Harrison High isn't a waste as so many of you on this web site claim. And I would also like to inform you that alot of my children's friends did go to "private schools" and low and behold they didn't go to college and of my lord they became "waste's" as you on the site call HHS students. So as you can see sometimes private school kids don't make anything of themselves either!!!!!!

First and foremost, I will agree with you that parents need to bear most of the responsibility for their children's education and what they do with the tools they are given.

But - they must be given those tools FIRST.

There was a line in Obama's speech last night that addressed parents and their roles.

It is not the government's job to turn off the tv in the home so a child completes their homework - it is a parent's...

Same reasoning applied here.

BUT, we need better teachers!!!

We should not have to settle for something as important as a teacher who cares enough to go the extra mile.

The other poster was spot on - there are too many teachers already in their cars blazing out of Harrison.

Why? Are they blind to the kid in last period who is struggling?

Oh, that's right they don't get paid - why should they care? :rolleyes:

Many relatives went to HHS and have nothing to show for it.

It is a lax environment that appears to be more preoccupied with the after school activities you listed - sports and cheerleading.

Oh wait, let's not forget band.

And if a child doesn't fall into one of these groups??

What then?

What if your child has a thirst for political life and leadership?

Are there after school clubs centered on issues like Darfur and World Amnesty?

Does HHS implement a peer to peer sponsorship for incoming freshman?

Is there an after school club for every language taught?

Math clubs, science clubs, writing clubs...

things to peak their interests besides kicking a ball or making a human pyramid?

My guess is no.

I did not say that sending your child to a private school is the BEST or ONLY solution to the problem.

The Harrison public school system needs BETTER teachers.

Private schools are also full of kids who don't care.

But the majority of teachers operate on a higher level and give the children the essential tools to compete in the real world.

But if your idea of the real world, is Harrison - I feel sorry for you.

I feel sorry for any child who will encounter reality in their adult life.

WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO SETTLE. IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE LIKE THIS!

I wanted a school supply list for starters.

No one in the school system thought much of it to provide something so small...

What will they offer my child for the rest of their public school education?

Not much.

Before you attempt to judge my parenting...

I am very aware of what my child learns in school.

I was FLOORED that they did not cover multiplying double digits until 5th grade!

Absolutely ridiculous.

I am the typical class parent who does everything short of holding the 'title' because of working full time.

I review the homework. It's rewritten if necessary.

I hold my child to a higher standard because I know they are better than what the teacher gives them.

My child is on honor roll ALL the time.

What good is it to be on honor roll all the time, when I know our kids are not being pushed to their full potential????

My child is smart and funny and liked by all teachers.

I've done pretty well up to this point and will keep going.

No one will care more for my child's future than myself.

It is very sad that the administration cannot get it's head out it's a@@ and do something constructive with it's 'teachers'.

We get the Kearny Journal every week.

And every week it is filled with articles highlighting Kearny children and town events.

Where is Harrison? Where are our town activities? Our accomplishments?

Wait, I forgot.

Every once in a while we ARE mentioned.

Harrison is memorialized into black and white when our fair mayor stomps out of a town council meeting...

Let's not forget when the boys are going for the soccer playoffs...

When the town is trying to seize property from working people...

oh yeah... when the elks or moose or donkey clubs give out another well deserved plaque to the good ole mayor :rolleyes: with yet another fake rehearsed hand shake...

Are these our priorities?

Where are the educational accomplishments?

What else does our town stand for?

Kearny has a page dedicated to town events...

We have 3 blurbs - one being that the library is open to the public :lol:

Our town is a joke because of the people appointed to all facets of administration.

I will go one further and compare Harrison mentality to living in the Gardens.

There are two types of parents... administration... officials... etc...

Remember apply this to our officials, our teachers, even our kids.

The first type:

The ones who can't wait to get in because they want to take it easy and have no intention of getting out.

Why ruin the 'free' ride.

They know they can now limit themselves and they will get by on minimal work.

If I make less, I pay less.

If I do less they won't expect much from me later.

They carry that chip on their shoulders that the world owes them.

They are the ignorant ones who want respect but don't realize they portray themselves as trailer trash.

Yes, I said it. And you know who they are when you see them on the street.

Why work when it is handed to them?

They will never be anything more than their surroundings.

THEN, there is the type.

The ones that go there day after day knowing they will have a better tomorrow.

They are proud people who will make their mark in life.

They work hard for everything they have.

They can hold their heads up high because they have earned it.

They expect more from life and are not afraid to reach for it.

Knowing that they will pull themselves up and make something better of their lives for their families.

Knowing that while they live in special housing - it does not define who they are and where they are going in life.

These are the people I want teaching my children, running my town and guiding the future of this town.

If you read all of this - I hope I didn't bore you.

Nor did I intend to lecture anyone - they are my opinions and nothing more.

But from the majority of the posts in the Harrison section - I am not the only one dissatisfied with our town.

First and foremost, I will agree with you that parents need to bear most of the responsibility for their children's education and what they do with the tools they are given.

But - they must be given those tools FIRST.

There was a line in Obama's speech last night that addressed parents and their roles.

It is not the government's job to turn off the tv in the home so a child completes their homework - it is a parent's...

Same reasoning applied here.

BUT, we need better teachers!!!

We should not have to settle for something as important as a teacher who cares enough to go the extra mile.

The other poster was spot on - there are too many teachers already in their cars blazing out of Harrison.

Why? Are they blind to the kid in last period who is struggling?

Oh, that's right they don't get paid - why should they care? :rolleyes:

Many relatives went to HHS and have nothing to show for it.

It is a lax environment that appears to be more preoccupied with the after school activities you listed - sports and cheerleading.

Oh wait, let's not forget band.

And if a child doesn't fall into one of these groups??

What then?

What if your child has a thirst for political life and leadership?

Are there after school clubs centered on issues like Darfur and World Amnesty?

Does HHS implement a peer to peer sponsorship for incoming freshman?

Is there an after school club for every language taught?

Math clubs, science clubs, writing clubs...

things to peak their interests besides kicking a ball or making a human pyramid?

My guess is no.

I did not say that sending your child to a private school is the BEST or ONLY solution to the problem.

The Harrison public school system needs BETTER teachers.

Private schools are also full of kids who don't care.

But the majority of teachers operate on a higher level and give the children the essential tools to compete in the real world.

But if your idea of the real world, is Harrison - I feel sorry for you.

I feel sorry for any child who will encounter reality in their adult life.

WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO SETTLE. IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE LIKE THIS!

I wanted a school supply list for starters.

No one in the school system thought much of it to provide something so small...

What will they offer my child for the rest of their public school education?

Not much.

Before you attempt to judge my parenting...

I am very aware of what my child learns in school.

I was FLOORED that they did not cover multiplying double digits until 5th grade!

Absolutely ridiculous.

I am the typical class parent who does everything short of holding the 'title' because of working full time.

I review the homework. It's rewritten if necessary.

I hold my child to a higher standard because I know they are better than what the teacher gives them.

My child is on honor roll ALL the time.

What good is it to be on honor roll all the time, when I know our kids are not being pushed to their full potential????

My child is smart and funny and liked by all teachers.

I've done pretty well up to this point and will keep going.

No one will care more for my child's future than myself.

It is very sad that the administration cannot get it's head out it's a@@ and do something constructive with it's 'teachers'.

We get the Kearny Journal every week.

And every week it is filled with articles highlighting Kearny children and town events.

Where is Harrison? Where are our town activities? Our accomplishments?

Wait, I forgot.

Every once in a while we ARE mentioned.

Harrison is memorialized into black and white when our fair mayor stomps out of a town council meeting...

Let's not forget when the boys are going for the soccer playoffs...

When the town is trying to seize property from working people...

oh yeah... when the elks or moose or donkey clubs give out another well deserved plaque to the good ole mayor :rolleyes: with yet another fake rehearsed hand shake...

Are these our priorities?

Where are the educational accomplishments?

What else does our town stand for?

Kearny has a page dedicated to town events...

We have 3 blurbs - one being that the library is open to the public :lol:

Our town is a joke because of the people appointed to all facets of administration.

I will go one further and compare Harrison mentality to living in the Gardens.

There are two types of parents... administration... officials... etc...

Remember apply this to our officials, our teachers, even our kids.

The first type:

The ones who can't wait to get in because they want to take it easy and have no intention of getting out.

Why ruin the 'free' ride.

They know they can now limit themselves and they will get by on minimal work.

If I make less, I pay less.

If I do less they won't expect much from me later.

They carry that chip on their shoulders that the world owes them.

They are the ignorant ones who want respect but don't realize they portray themselves as trailer trash.

Yes, I said it. And you know who they are when you see them on the street.

Why work when it is handed to them?

They will never be anything more than their surroundings.

THEN, there is the type.

The ones that go there day after day knowing they will have a better tomorrow.

They are proud people who will make their mark in life.

They work hard for everything they have.

They can hold their heads up high because they have earned it.

They expect more from life and are not afraid to reach for it.

Knowing that they will pull themselves up and make something better of their lives for their families.

Knowing that while they live in special housing - it does not define who they are and where they are going in life.

These are the people I want teaching my children, running my town and guiding the future of this town.

If you read all of this - I hope I didn't bore you.

Nor did I intend to lecture anyone - they are my opinions and nothing more.

But from the majority of the posts in the Harrison section - I am not the only one dissatisfied with our town.

----------------

WOW! You hit it right on the head. Well said! Have you noticed the change in administration of the middle school -- Dr. Duffy is no longer vice principal and Francisco Nasimento is. I liked Dr. Duffy and appreciated how seriously he took his job and the responsibility of educating & providing discipline for the children. What happened? Was he promoted? How did Mr. Nasimento get the job -- was he really the best qualified for the position or just well connected?

----------------

WOW! You hit it right on the head. Well said! Have you noticed the change in administration of the middle school -- Dr. Duffy is no longer vice principal and Francisco Nasimento is. I liked Dr. Duffy and appreciated how seriously he took his job and the responsibility of educating & providing discipline for the children. What happened? Was he promoted? How did Mr. Nasimento get the job -- was he really the best qualified for the position or just well connected?

I am not to happy either about Dr. Duffy leaving either. He has made great changes in Washington Middle school and I have a great respect for him, he should be the principal but he is another person used by the town and because a few people didn't like him they sent him to the Annex, he just got all new computers for computer labs in Washington Middle he applied for a grant and got it and it was quite a lot of money...see what happens when you do a good job...you get screwed. I will tell you this if the shit hits the fan in Washington this year I will be the first to B**ch. The reason people didn't like him is because he made them work.

What is the percentage of HHS that go to college or some type of higher education. IMO, without the exact number, it is very low. If anyone can find out, please give the sorry number. Highest rate per student, and most likely the least going to college. I don't blame the parents because the McMole crime organizaion is bleeding the citizens for the money to pay for created jobs and generally outrageous salaries for friends and family. Obama would not like Harrison because he calls for change and not scraping up change to buy food. VOTE McCain because if the democrats win McMole may never be impeached or taken out in cuffs. That IMO.

What is the percentage of HHS that go to college or some type of higher education. IMO, without the exact number, it is very low. If anyone can find out, please give the sorry number. Highest rate per student, and most likely the least going to college. I don't blame the parents because the McMole crime organizaion is bleeding the citizens for the money to pay for created jobs and generally outrageous salaries for friends and family. Obama would not like Harrison because he calls for change and not scraping up change to buy food. VOTE McCain because if the democrats win McMole may never be impeached or taken out in cuffs. That IMO.

Right off the Department of Education's website:

Post-Graduation Plans

Percentage of graduating seniors pursuing various self-reported post-high school plans.

Intended Pursuits Class of 2007 Class of 2006 Class of 2005

Four-year College/University 31.3% 31.4% 37.1%

Two-year College 50.8% 53.5% 40.2%

Other College

Other Post-secondary School 7.2% 3.8% 9.0%

Military 1.9% 1.9% 1.7%

Full-time Employment 8.8% 9.3% 11.8%

Part-time Employment 0.3%

Undecided

Other

The link is:

scroll down to Post Graduation Plans section:

http://education.state.nj.us/rc/rc07/datas...datasection=all

Right off the Department of Education's website:

Post-Graduation Plans

Percentage of graduating seniors pursuing various self-reported post-high school plans.

Intended Pursuits Class of 2007 Class of 2006 Class of 2005

Four-year College/University 31.3% 31.4% 37.1%

Two-year College 50.8% 53.5% 40.2%

Other College

Other Post-secondary School 7.2% 3.8% 9.0%

Military 1.9% 1.9% 1.7%

Full-time Employment 8.8% 9.3% 11.8%

Part-time Employment 0.3%

Undecided

Other

The link is:

scroll down to Post Graduation Plans section:

http://education.state.nj.us/rc/rc07/datas...datasection=all

So how does all of this get fixed? In reading through this discussion, there are several critical points that have been brought up. Considering the amount of money being spent per student in Harrison, the schools should be top of the line. I think that the elementary school and annex are being well run. A few tweaks wouldn't hurt (especially regarding the number of teachers and substitutes whose accents are so pronounced that the children can't understand them), but overall Mrs. Botch and Mr. O are doing a good job. The middle school has undergone a lot of serious improvements with Dr. Duffy as the vice principal. I am really concerned to read that he has been moved to the Annex! It sure seems as though his skills were being put to good use at the middle school. Maybe moving him to the high school, but the annex? I don't get it and I sure hope his replacement can uphold the high standards and expectations that he set for the children. The kids coming out of elementary school have a pretty good foundation which can be either built upon or blown at the middle school level. If they fall off the track at that age, the high school performance & post high school expectations will continue to be sub-par and unexceptable. Most of the people I know whose kids have gone through the public school system in Harrison, know that they have to move out of town when their kids get to middle school. Those kids who are moving away are the ones who are capable of pulling up the system wide test scores in middle school and high school. This all brings to mind the question of why the voting public in this town is given absolutely no opportunity to have input as to how the school system is run?

So how does all of this get fixed? In reading through this discussion, there are several critical points that have been brought up. Considering the amount of money being spent per student in Harrison, the schools should be top of the line. I think that the elementary school and annex are being well run. A few tweaks wouldn't hurt (especially regarding the number of teachers and substitutes whose accents are so pronounced that the children can't understand them), but overall Mrs. Botch and Mr. O are doing a good job. The middle school has undergone a lot of serious improvements with Dr. Duffy as the vice principal. I am really concerned to read that he has been moved to the Annex! It sure seems as though his skills were being put to good use at the middle school. Maybe moving him to the high school, but the annex? I don't get it and I sure hope his replacement can uphold the high standards and expectations that he set for the children. The kids coming out of elementary school have a pretty good foundation which can be either built upon or blown at the middle school level. If they fall off the track at that age, the high school performance & post high school expectations will continue to be sub-par and unexceptable. Most of the people I know whose kids have gone through the public school system in Harrison, know that they have to move out of town when their kids get to middle school. Those kids who are moving away are the ones who are capable of pulling up the system wide test scores in middle school and high school. This all brings to mind the question of why the voting public in this town is given absolutely no opportunity to have input as to how the school system is run?

Doesn't the voting public elect the mayor? The mayor appoints the school board, because the last time an election was held for the school board there wasn't enough interest form the public!

• 2 weeks later...
:rolleyes:;) h ow many town BIG SHOTS WENT THREW HARRISON SCHOOLS Mcdumb Kearns Rodgers ????????????????

Rodgers, & Kearns went to a Catholic high school out of Harrison.

don't know if McDonough did, but his sister the teacher went to a girl's school & Catholic girl's college out of town, so it is likely that he also went to a Catholic high school out of town.

Guest School Choice Advocate

I'm a Harrison resident and would love to see a school voucher system that allows me to take my tax money to any private school I want.

It's incredible that Harrison schools cost $17,000 per student when the local private/catholic schools charge between $2500 - $4,000 per student for an education better than the public schools.

Anyone know how we could change the system so that vouchers are given out to parents? I would be willing to get together with others to really push for this change.