Teacher Dress Code

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Word has it that the BOE wants to institute a teacher/staff dress code policy. The teachers are miffed. They were out in full force at the last BOE meeting. I think it is funny that they demand the students be dressed in uniforms, but the teachers want to look like they are going clubbing.

Guest Baseball Parent

What are we doing? To quote George Carlin, why are we processing these kids? we want them to think alike, act alike and now dress alike. Doesn't anybody see we are stifling creativity?

We are told the uniforms are needed to be able to tell who the students are. What, an illegal kid wont be able to purchase or steal a uniform shirt? Come on. If we need this to protect our kids, lets stop all the BS and go all the way. Let's install turnsiles in the front hall. The only way in is if you have a electronic ID to swipe, like they do in big office buildings. Lock all the other entrances, that is how the "bad" non-kearny kids would get in anyway. Post security guards at all negotiable entrances to the school (this includes the doors to the gym on Garfield. Now once u see a kid in the school, you know he must be a student because he wouldnt be able to get in without a valid ID. You can also have capability of voiding out ID's during suspensions so those kids cant get in while they are supposed to be out. Opens a world of possibilities, and would prob be cheaper than all the uniforms.

But here is my real question. Shouldn't we be worrying about the education process? That never seems to be discussed anywhere. We have teachers worrying about how they dress and if a student has his ID and is not wearing flip flops or guinea T's, while they should be worrying about teaching our children.

Guest Guest
What are we doing? To quote George Carlin, why are we processing these kids? we want them to think alike, act alike and now dress alike. Doesn't anybody see we are stifling creativity?

We are told the uniforms are needed to be able to tell who the students are. What, an illegal kid wont be able to purchase or steal a uniform shirt? Come on. If we need this to protect our kids, lets stop all the BS and go all the way. Let's install turnsiles in the front hall. The only way in is if you have a electronic ID to swipe, like they do in big office buildings. Lock all the other entrances, that is how the "bad" non-kearny kids would get in anyway. Post security guards at all negotiable entrances to the school (this includes the doors to the gym on Garfield. Now once u see a kid in the school, you know he must be a student because he wouldnt be able to get in without a valid ID. You can also have capability of voiding out ID's during suspensions so those kids cant get in while they are supposed to be out. Opens a world of possibilities, and would prob be cheaper than all the uniforms.

But here is my real question. Shouldn't we be worrying about the education process? That never seems to be discussed anywhere. We have teachers worrying about how they dress and if a student has his ID and is not wearing flip flops or guinea T's, while they should be worrying about teaching our children.

Bravo! How about teaching some critical thinking, intellectual curiosity and independent thought. Mainly what the Kearny school system does is make cogs for the outside wheel.

Guest Perplexed
Bravo! How about teaching some critical thinking, intellectual curiosity and independent thought. Mainly what the Kearny school system does is make cogs for the outside wheel.

How does the KBOE implement a dress code policy for staff members when they are sitting at the BOE table in a formal public meeting with a board member wearing shorts??????

Am I missing something here????????????

Guest why so glum

I cant imagine why this would be such an issue of resentment for teachers. The people who complain are those who are not dressing appropriately. For the average teacher, it is a no-brainer that warm-up pants are not the right attire for a classroom. For the most part this will not have an negative impact as the teachers who have any sense of adding dignity and respect to their profession are already dressing as they should. We dont dress like the children because we are not on the same level as children. PP are right and we would hope that the BOE would take as much time creating an environment conducive to learning and adapting to our community as they do imposing this dress code. On the other hand, I wish the KEA would spend as much time and effort on other issues, like tuition reimbursement, getting younger teachers involved, and stepping up to the state government, as they do fighting something that every teacher should be doing anyway!

Its been my experience that failing public schools focus and divert on non-educational issues such as school uniforms. Smoke and mirrors.

Kearny school system has nothing to be proud about considering the low SAT score ranking. Instead of uniforms I'd concentrate on that.

Guest Guest
How does the KBOE implement a dress code policy for staff members when they are sitting at the BOE table in a formal public meeting with a board member wearing shorts??????

Am I missing something here????????????

During the summer, boe members, like the school staff, are more lax in their dress. But please remember, the boe members are volunteers.

Guest Guest
Its been my experience that failing public schools focus and divert on non-educational issues such as school uniforms. Smoke and mirrors.

Kearny school system has nothing to be proud about considering the low SAT score ranking. Instead of uniforms I'd concentrate on that.

Yeah, we wouldn't want the teachers to dress like professionals.