Dad & Lad

Guest 2smart4u

Guest Guest
I have been listening to the posting about this person, Paul, and his son, Matthew LaClair, I guess now since about a year and a half now and it did not dawn on me until my relatives came from to visit this past weekend from upstate Massachusetts to tell me of a similar case they had in Massachusetts. The parodies were so similar. She even showed me the websites and posting where this student's dad was an attorney who went after one teacher and the school administration for what he declared as wrongful statements. This stated in this students sophomore year and he made sure he had him again in his junior year and had gathered all the information before whistle blowing. In order to get into Bard College (noted for being a Liberal college) most of these students have at some point in their life done something outlandish to gain notoriety for themselves. It ended up that the father thought up this idea to scam the high school administration and they actually paid half by his high school administration to shut him up and the rest given to him by legal corporations supposedly sponsoring him. He repeatedly threatened with lawsuits although never did. The administration finally backed down. He did get into Bard College with a full scholarship thanks to these pranks. The story broke a little over a year late when someone on this students father's staff found some old emails he was documenting how we was going to set the entire thing up prior to it happening and how he hoped it would all play out. It upset him so much that he sent these letters and emails back to this student’s administration for proof. But by then it was too late. He even boasted how he would have to structure it so it would look like the students doing all the while orchestrating it himself. The letters were then posted in the papers, but by then it didn’t matter. The student had already accomplished his freshman year paid for by his high school and the parents moved shortly afterwards.

As far as they know now, this student is now finishing his sophomore year - paid for with full scholarship. Does anyone else find this eerily familiar?

So apparently the Internet doesn't connect between Massachusetts and your house.

By the way, in your fictitious Massachusetts case, exactly what was the scam?

Oh, and what's this about Bard College students? If they're notorious, you should be able to link us to their "pranks." Can you do it - even one?

Pathetic.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest
Thank you for giving me hope in this country. I am thankfully glad this country is low on Matthew LaClairs. Now I feel proud to be called an American Citizen.

The name calling is so mature on your behalf. Tells what kind of person you really are. I still believe secret tape recordings are just as devious, so before you start raising his banner somewhere as a hero, remember what he really is.

He's a hero. He got the job done in the only way it could be done, and the person who "suffered" has no cause to whine about it.

Guest Guest
I have been listening to the posting about this person, Paul, and his son, Matthew LaClair, I guess now since about a year and a half now and it did not dawn on me until my relatives came from to visit this past weekend from upstate Massachusetts to tell me of a similar case they had in Massachusetts. The parodies were so similar. She even showed me the websites and posting where this student's dad was an attorney who went after one teacher and the school administration for what he declared as wrongful statements. This stated in this students sophomore year and he made sure he had him again in his junior year and had gathered all the information before whistle blowing. In order to get into Bard College (noted for being a Liberal college) most of these students have at some point in their life done something outlandish to gain notoriety for themselves. It ended up that the father thought up this idea to scam the high school administration and they actually paid half by his high school administration to shut him up and the rest given to him by legal corporations supposedly sponsoring him. He repeatedly threatened with lawsuits although never did. The administration finally backed down. He did get into Bard College with a full scholarship thanks to these pranks. The story broke a little over a year late when someone on this students father's staff found some old emails he was documenting how we was going to set the entire thing up prior to it happening and how he hoped it would all play out. It upset him so much that he sent these letters and emails back to this student’s administration for proof. But by then it was too late. He even boasted how he would have to structure it so it would look like the students doing all the while orchestrating it himself. The letters were then posted in the papers, but by then it didn’t matter. The student had already accomplished his freshman year paid for by his high school and the parents moved shortly afterwards.

As far as they know now, this student is now finishing his sophomore year - paid for with full scholarship. Does anyone else find this eerily familiar?

Two things are eerily familiar about this.

1. People critical of Matthew LaClair making statements they can't back up with facts.

2. The same people making some of the stupidest arguments anyone could imagine.

Stupid argument # 1: A student staying in a teacher's class for two years just so he could nail him. Proof?

Stupid argument # 2: Most students at Bard College have "done something outlandish to gain notoriety for themselves." Proof?

Stupid argument # 3: The claim is that this has something to do with Bard being a "liberal" school. Proof?

Stupid argument # 4: The father "thought up this idea to scam the high school administration." What idea? Did he make the teacher or the administrators say something? What are you talking about?

Stupid argument # 5: Where's the scam?

Stupid argument # 6: "Legal corporations" sponsored the student. Really? Which ones? Why would they do that? Oh, and what do you mean by a "legal corporation"? Is that the opposite of an illegal corporation? What are you talking about?

Stupid argument # 7: The student's "pranks" are what got him into Bard? What pranks? Where's your proof?

Stupid argument # 8: Then after all this supposedly happened, the story "broke," but no one heard about it until now. Uh-huh.

Stupid argument # 9: Then the father supposedly sent e-mails that detrimental only to himself to the school's administration after his son was safely in college on a full scholarship. Why would he do that and where's your proof?

Stupid argument # 10: How could the father have "set up" anything?

Stupid argument # 11: If the father was going to orchestrate the whole thing, why would he boast about it?

Stupid argument # 12: Did the high school pay the student a settlement, or did he get a full scholarship? They're not the same thing.

This story makes as much sense as dinosaurs on Noah's ark. Next time you make up a story, at least think about it a little.

Guest Guest
Thank you for giving me hope in this country. I am thankfully glad this country is low on Matthew LaClairs.

If you despise free-thinking and individual freedoms so much, why don't you move to Iran?

I still believe secret tape recordings are just as devious,

So setting up hidden cameras to catch lawbreakers is just as "devious" as breaking the law? Make sure to let law enforcement know that, they could use a laugh.

Teachers should be held accountable for what they do at their job--you're just bitching because he got caught doing what he wasn't supposed to be doing. Waa waa waa.

so before you start raising his banner somewhere as a hero, remember what he really is.

He's a brave citizen who didn't back down from his justified accusation, even in the face of a death threat. He's got more guts to fight for what's right than your mudslinging ass ever will.

Guest Guest
Thank you for giving me hope in this country. I am thankfully glad this country is low on Matthew LaClairs. Now I feel proud to be called an American Citizen.

The name calling is so mature on your behalf. Tells what kind of person you really are. I still believe secret tape recordings are just as devious, so before you start raising his banner somewhere as a hero, remember what he really is.

Then obviously you don't understand the power teachers have over their students. Or maybe you don't care.

Matthew cares. He saw an abuse, and he tried to stop it in the best way he knew how.

Until you can think about the teacher's conduct as an abuse of power, you will never understand what happened.

Guest Guest
If you despise free-thinking and individual freedoms so much, why don't you move to Iran?

So setting up hidden cameras to catch lawbreakers is just as "devious" as breaking the law? Make sure to let law enforcement know that, they could use a laugh.

Teachers should be held accountable for what they do at their job--you're just bitching because he got caught doing what he wasn't supposed to be doing. Waa waa waa.

He's a brave citizen who didn't back down from his justified accusation, even in the face of a death threat. He's got more guts to fight for what's right than your mudslinging ass ever will.

Have you ever been to Iran? Obviously not except what you read in your daily cartoons. Just another one of your brash comments without any thought behind it.

To me it doesn't matter if he got caught. I wish all teachers would be accountable for their actions and I wish you would also be accountable for whatever it is that you do? How many of them are just calling it in day after day. There are right and wrong ways to handle the problems in this country and what this “boy” did was the wrong way. There was nothing more than him trying to make a name for himself and his dad. You can try to sugar coat it any other way but that’s the bottom line.

As far as being brave, he is looked at in this community as a coward. Mom drives him to school and he has taken no role in any of the school activities there. He will be remembered but as a coward, not a hero.

Thank you for keeping this blog on such an upstanding level with your name-calling. It truly shows what lack of class you do have, even if you keep it anonymous. Talk about gutless.

Guest Guest
You just can't stand the fact that Matthew truly believes in what he's doing. So you grasp at any straw you can, no matter how weak it is.

You can't stop talking about this. You can't leave it alone. Your whole world is upside-down over it, but the last thing you're ever going to do is admit that you might be wrong, even though that's the explanation. Doesn't seem like you can.

Someone got their panties all in a ruffle. And I am not just talking about Matthew.

Guest Guest
Have you ever been to Iran? Obviously not except what you read in your daily cartoons. Just another one of your brash comments without any thought behind it.

To me it doesn't matter if he got caught. I wish all teachers would be accountable for their actions and I wish you would also be accountable for whatever it is that you do? How many of them are just calling it in day after day. There are right and wrong ways to handle the problems in this country and what this “boy” did was the wrong way. There was nothing more than him trying to make a name for himself and his dad. You can try to sugar coat it any other way but that’s the bottom line.

As far as being brave, he is looked at in this community as a coward. Mom drives him to school and he has taken no role in any of the school activities there. He will be remembered but as a coward, not a hero.

Thank you for keeping this blog on such an upstanding level with your name-calling. It truly shows what lack of class you do have, even if you keep it anonymous. Talk about gutless.

You're hiding behind your anonymity to criticize people whose identities are known. That's gutless.

And you don't know what you're talking about. You can't plan making a name for yourself this way.

Guest Guest
Someone got their panties all in a ruffle.

Yeah, the sniveling whiners who are still making topics just to bash the LaClairs. You know, like THIS topic?

Someone give these babies a pacifier already, otherwise these tantrums may never stop.

Guest Guest

Okay, question: is Iran a democracy, or a theocracy?

To me it doesn't matter if he got caught.

Why don't you care that tax dollars are paying for someone to preach when they should be teaching? Or maybe you're so selfish that the only reason you don't care is because it was YOUR religion being preached, and who cares about liberty and justice for all, Christians are the majority, right? Am I warm?

I wish all teachers would be accountable for their actions and I wish you would also be accountable for whatever it is that you do?

How can you say this while saying at the same time that it doesn't matter to you if teachers get caught doing wrong? Doublethink much?

How many of them are just calling it in day after day. There are right and wrong ways to handle the problems in this country and what this “boy” did was the wrong way.

For the millionth time, reveal to all of us, o enlightened one, what the "right" way would have been, that would have been able to accomplish the same end.

It's easy to criticize, but not so easy to give a reasonable alternative. So, let's see what you've got. You can use the space here:

There was nothing more than him trying to make a name for himself and his dad. You can try to sugar coat it any other way but that’s the bottom line.

Total BS. If that was true, why did he wait so long to go to the media with it? Why did he wait for MONTHS for the board or the school administration to act, while in that time not publicizing what was going on at ALL?

Well?

As far as being brave, he is looked at in this community as a coward.

He's very brave in my eyes, and I'm a part of this community, thank you very much. The cowards are the people slinging mud at the guy for doing what's right, and insisting that the Constitution be followed. The sheep in Kearny had a knee-jerk reaction, but overall, the support for Matthew has been overwhelming. Read these words carefully: on a grand scale, Kearny is ALONE in its criticism of the LaClairs. Nationwide, and worldwide, he is lauded for what he did. Only the crony-like Christians in Kearny who weren't intelligent enough or willing enough to interpret his actions in any way deeper than "he's attacking Christianity, get him!" gave him a hard time. And that's a fact.

Mom drives him to school

Wow, only cowards get rides to school, right? What an infantile remark.

and he has taken no role in any of the school activities there.

How do you know?

He will be remembered but as a coward, not a hero.

http://forums.kearnyontheweb.com/index.php?showtopic=3239

Of note, the first comment critical of Matthew in that topic was of the following caliber:

"Matt's a big d-bag, he should get a big dick up his ass, just like he like it."

Clearly a brilliant mind.

Thank you for keeping this blog on such an upstanding level with your name-calling.

I could never hope to match the name-calling Matthew has been on the receiving end of by the bigots in Kearny even in the first month after the story broke in the Times, so I suggest you look to the board in your own eye. Who keeps calling Matthew a coward?

Yeah, a real coward: standing up to his teacher, his principal, the Board, all of which tried to sweep his evidenced accusation under the rug. Having his life threatened for exposing preaching in a public school classroom? Oh yeah, big coward all right.

You ought to have your head examined.

It truly shows what lack of class you do have, even if you keep it anonymous. Talk about gutless.

What's gutless is slamming someone for fighting injustice. You ought to be ashamed.

Guest Guest
To me it doesn't matter if he got caught. I wish all teachers would be accountable for their actions . . .

It would matter to you if you cared about teachers doing their jobs properly. If he hadn't gotten caught, he wouldn't have been held accountable. He barely was anyway.

There are right and wrong ways to handle the problems in this country and what this “boy” did was the wrong way.

OK, genius, how would you have handled it?

There was nothing more than him trying to make a name for himself and his dad. You can try to sugar coat it any other way but that’s the bottom line.

You can try to sugar coat it any way you like, but you don't know what you're talking about. Where's your evidence?

Honestly, how can you be so stupid as to think that they could have predicted that --- well, that there would be people like you in this town who are as stupid as you are? You can't plan what they did. What happened took hundreds of stupid people like you to make it happen.

As far as being brave, he is looked at in this community as a coward.

Then this community is populated by idiots. But that's not news. The world said that a year and a half ago.

Mom drives him to school

Just like a lot of other moms.

he has taken no role in any of the school activities there.

Except getting involved in this issue and other issues, attending numerous school board meetings and trying to make a real difference in the community. You know, the way adults do - as opposed to, say, playing games.

He will be remembered but as a coward, not a hero.

By idiots, maybe. Meanwhile, there are articles all over the Internet about what a hero he is. Awards from the American Ethical Union, People for the American Way, ACLU, Anti-Defamation League, American Humanist Association, and plenty of others. Oh, but wait, you don't agree with those organizations so they don't count. Jerk.

You're going after someone whose name is known without revealing your own identity. That's gutless.

Guest Guest
You're hiding behind your anonymity to criticize people whose identities are known. That's gutless.

And you don't know what you're talking about. You can't plan making a name for yourself this way.

Yes, you can plan to make a name for yourself this way. Matthew has been trying since his days at Lincoln School. This one just happened to stick. And before you go off on a rant about his teacher, I agree that he crossed the line and has probably been doing it for years.

Paul tells a nice little tale about Matthew's t-shirt saying he's laughing at us because we're all the same. I guess now we're suppose to believe he's the only person out there that is an individual and capable of original ideas. What a pompous ass.

Guest 2smart4u
It would matter to you if you cared about teachers doing their jobs properly. If he hadn't gotten caught, he wouldn't have been held accountable. He barely was anyway.

OK, genius, how would you have handled it?

You can try to sugar coat it any way you like, but you don't know what you're talking about. Where's your evidence?

Honestly, how can you be so stupid as to think that they could have predicted that --- well, that there would be people like you in this town who are as stupid as you are? You can't plan what they did. What happened took hundreds of stupid people like you to make it happen.

Then this community is populated by idiots. But that's not news. The world said that a year and a half ago.

Just like a lot of other moms.

Except getting involved in this issue and other issues, attending numerous school board meetings and trying to make a real difference in the community. You know, the way adults do - as opposed to, say, playing games.

By idiots, maybe. Meanwhile, there are articles all over the Internet about what a hero he is. Awards from the American Ethical Union, People for the American Way, ACLU, Anti-Defamation League, American Humanist Association, and plenty of others. Oh, but wait, you don't agree with those organizations so they don't count. Jerk.

You're going after someone whose name is known without revealing your own identity. That's gutless.

Wow !! Awards from a bunch of loony leftist groups, what a surprise.

Guest Guest
Yes, you can plan to make a name for yourself this way. Matthew has been trying since his days at Lincoln School. This one just happened to stick. And before you go off on a rant about his teacher, I agree that he crossed the line and has probably been doing it for years.

Paul tells a nice little tale about Matthew's t-shirt saying he's laughing at us because we're all the same. I guess now we're suppose to believe he's the only person out there that is an individual and capable of original ideas. What a pompous ass.

So you don't accept the fact that he did these things because he believes in what he was doing. On what basis?

You invite being laughed at by sticking your head in the sand, or other places where you can't see. The knee-jerk reaction of this community invites laughter, scorn and even contempt - and the world gave it to you.

He's not the only person capable of original ideas. He never said he was. Just the opposite, he has continued posting here, practically begging the community to look at itself. Don't blame him for your idiotic response. That's your fault.

And no, you can't plan this. For this to happen, hundreds of people had to act stupid. You want to talk about arrogant, just look at the responses from community members who thought they could do anything they wanted to do, even in violation of the law. He didn't ask you to do that. He asked you not to and you refused.

You humiliatied yourselves. All Matthew did was hold up the mirror for the world to see what you were doing.

Guest Guest

You’re proving what Paul wrote about you. You can’t stand anyone who is different. You act just like an ant in an ant colony. There’s no thought behind it at all. The mere fact that he challenged authority has you in a tailspin. Because there’s no harm in what he did. And just because he did it doesn’t mean he was trying to “make a name” for himself. That’s your spin, but there no basis for it.

You try to make him out as a wild kid, but here are the facts.

Does Matthew have a disciplinary record? No.

Does he do drugs? No.

Does he smoke? No.

Has he ever gotten caught with alcohol in or around school? No.

Has he ever been arrested? No.

Has he ever made the papers? Oh yeah. Starting when he was seven years old, playing his violin. Since then, letters to the editor, this story, numerous awards and most recently as the author of an Op-Ed piece in the Los Angeles Times. He’s all over the Internet, and the vast majority of it is not just favorable, but glowing.

You wish you had a kid with a record like that. When you attack him like this, all you prove is how small you are, and how incapable you are of thinking.

That’s why the whole world laughed at you, bonehead!

If you don't want people thinking you're stupid, then stop acting stupid! You're diminishing the value of my house. Why would anyone with a brain want to live in Kearny after seeing this?

Guest Guest
Yes, you can plan to make a name for yourself this way.

Big hole in the theory that's already been pointed out: the only reason this became 'big news' is because of the kind of stubbornness and appalling efforts to ignore a legitimate complaint that no one could have predicted. Without that amazing reaction, there'd be no way for someone to make a big deal out of the issue. As another poster said, it took a lot of stupidity to make it big news--Matthew's actions by themselves wouldn't have done it, and there is nothing in the way he went about doing what he did that suggests that media attention was his goal, period.

Matthew has been trying since his days at Lincoln School. This one just happened to stick.

What's possessed you to associate wanting to correct injustices with wanting to get attention?

Paul tells a nice little tale about Matthew's t-shirt saying he's laughing at us because we're all the same.

Not you, o self-centered one. He's talking about a shirt Matthew wore. To school. Not to the forum. :P

I guess now we're suppose to believe he's the only person out there that is an individual and capable of original ideas. What a pompous ass.

It's not pompous at all. Look at the facts: first of all, ZERO of Matthew's classmates stuck up for him despite the complaint obviously being well-merited. Even with the irrefutable evidence, many of them DENIED that Paszkiewicz said the things Matthew correctly accused him of saying, even though they were in the classroom and heard it too! Of course, not to mention Paszkiewicz's own denial.

It is a FACT that Kearny overall engaged in some SERIOUS mindless groupthink when they went after Matthew for no good reason as a collective, bashing and making up all kinds of false accusations about him and his family without even TRYING to consider the facts of the matter. So maybe that shirt tells a little more truth about his community (at least) than the people of Kearny are comfortable with.

Guest Guest

In the fifteen years Mr. P has been teaching, Matthew is the only one to call him on it effectively. So he does stand alone. It's not pompous when it's the truth.

You tell a lot about yourself when you assume that Matthew has been "planning" to make a name for himself with this. You don't know that at all. You're just making it up because you want to believe it. What it says about you is that you would never do anything like that. OK, so tell us something we don't know.

As the old song says, don't criticize what you can't understand.

Guest A Graduate's Parent
Wow !! Awards from a bunch of loony leftist groups, what a surprise.

Come to think of it, I was at the KHS Awards Night last week and did not see one award/scholarship given to Matthew (and there were a mutitude of awards given out). I find it interesting that after 4 years in high school, that the only claim to fame for him was blowing a whistle on a teacher, wearing a skirt to make a point about the dress code(which I thought was clever) and defacing school property with stickers protesting Bush. Now, I'm sure Matthew isn't a bad kid, I believe he is a very talented actor and musician (I've seen his work in elementary and junior high schools). I just thought that he might have been involved in other activities in the high school community. But, to my dismay, nothing. So, you see, from the eyes of people who do not live in Kearny, and have only read the news issued by his father on the internet and to newpapers, I just can't see how they can call him a hero. A hero is a well-rounded person, not someone with tunnel-vision who focuses on one agenda (Everytime I read someone call him a hero I always remember the same thing was said about OJ Simpson before his trial). Anyway, best wishes to all the graduating seniors who made Kearny High the best institution in the world, they are the true heros in my heart.

Guest KHS Alumnus
Come to think of it, I was at the KHS Awards Night last week and did not see one award/scholarship given to Matthew (and there were a mutitude of awards given out). I find it interesting that after 4 years in high school, that the only claim to fame for him was blowing a whistle on a teacher, wearing a skirt to make a point about the dress code(which I thought was clever) and defacing school property with stickers protesting Bush. Now, I'm sure Matthew isn't a bad kid, I believe he is a very talented actor and musician (I've seen his work in elementary and junior high schools). I just thought that he might have been involved in other activities in the high school community. But, to my dismay, nothing. So, you see, from the eyes of people who do not live in Kearny, and have only read the news issued by his father on the internet and to newpapers, I just can't see how they can call him a hero. A hero is a well-rounded person, not someone with tunnel-vision who focuses on one agenda (Everytime I read someone call him a hero I always remember the same thing was said about OJ Simpson before his trial). Anyway, best wishes to all the graduating seniors who made Kearny High the best institution in the world, they are the true heros in my heart.

He still remains the only student with the guts to call a preaching teacher on his inappropriate activities. That's a big deal--it's unfortunate he's the only person with that kind of integrity and care for teaching standards in the entire school, but that's how it is. Many of his classmates denied Paszkiewicz's words just like Paszkiewicz himself did--even after the solid proof was made public. That brings shame to every last one of them, and makes Matthew stand out more.

That makes a big difference to me.

Guest Guest

Gee, you don't think any of the locals were jealous, do you? That’s like saying Jozy Altidore isn’t a good soccer player because he’s not on his high school team. [http://www.sportsline.com/soccer/story/10857514] What this proves is that you’re an ass. There are plenty of kids who weren't honored at the assembly, though Matt was. Apparently you fell asleep. Why aren’t you nitpicking on them?

Let's review Matt’s resume.

Present positions:

President of Center for Inquiry’s Campus Outreach Program

This is a nationwide college campus program. He is president as a high school senior.

http://ga1.org/cfi_oncampus/notice-descrip...tter_id=8885933

Board member, Secular Student Alliance (nationwide students’ group)

http://www.secularstudents.org/node/2053

Awards:

2008 ACLU Youth Scholar - http://www.aclu.org/students/34399res20080314.html

Center for Inquiry 2007 James Madison Religious Liberty Award

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/secularsociety/schedule/

New York Society for Ethical Culture 2007 Ethical Humanist Award

http://www.nysec.org/2007/11/04/ethical-hu...award-nov-4-07/

Freedom From Religion Foundation 2007 Thomas Jefferson Student Activist Award

http://www.ffrf.org/events/2007/speakers.php

Special Commendation from People for the American Way 2007

http://www.pfaw.org/pfaw/general/default.aspx?oid=24210

Author of leading Op-Ed piece in the Los Angeles Times, week of April 27, 2008

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commen...,0,247646.story

Other accomplishments:

Half a dozen plays at Studio Players in Montclair

An Off-Broadway show when he was in the eighth grade

Second place in a talent competition (violin) for fourth through eighth graders when he was in sixth grade

Winner of NJ District oratorical contest in eighth grade

Public addresses:

While other students were in church, Matthew has been delivering the Humanist equivalent of sermons.

http://ehsli.org/audios.php

http://www.essexethical.org/mar07.pdf

http://richarddawkins.net/forum/viewtopic....f=1&t=27327

(Click open the link for the Saturday session. Matthew begins at 1:02:00 in.)

As opposed to this:

High school is great training for kids who aren’t ready to contribute in the adult world yet. Matthew is the exception who is ready. It’s a pity that you let your jealousy get the better of you.

By the way, Word's online dictionary defines a hero as "remarkably brave person: somebody who commits an act of remarkable bravery or who has shown an admirable quality such as great courage or strength of character." That's Matthew. Your definition isn't on the list. You just made it up. Typical.

See also:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/31/opinion/...amp;oref=slogin

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...756C0A9619C8B63

Guest Guest

Wrong again, maintenance-mop breath. His claim to fame, well-earned, is for

- playing violin

- acting, including an off-Broadway show where he played the lead

- calling out an inaccurate textbook with support from high-level scientists and many others (AP story, LA Times Op-Ed article, which he wrote)

- taking on leadership roles in two college organizations (and he isn't even in college yet)

- two favorable editorials in the New York Times (you let us know when you get one)

So you see, Abner, Matthew's commitment to these issues went public in a big way when he called out a renegade teacher, but it didn't end there. Since that story broke, Matthew has continued to fight for these causes, thereby earning an international reputation as a champion of religious freedom and freedom of speech. I understand it's a big time commitment.

What you don't seem to appreciate is that his work on these issues is a service to the school and the community. You don't criticize our soldiers for not doing community service when they're in Iran fighting the war. Matthew's work on these issues take a lot of time. So before you criticize someone who has already contributed more to his community and his country than most of us ever do, you should take a little time to study the facts. That assumes, of course, that you care about religious freedom for the minority, which you probably don't - because if you did, you would recognize that Matthew IS a hero.

As for people outside Kearny, they read about knuckle-draggers like you. Every time Paszkiewicz or his lap dogs spoke out, they just made what they were doing more obvious. The world called you for what you are. Petty, ignorant, bigoted and blind.

As for your best wishes, if that's your idea of wishing Matthew well, maybe you should keep it to yourself.

If I had said that about your kid, what would you say about me?

I’m truly sorry that you choose to write things like this, especially without giving your name. To be blunt, I’m very disappointed in the lack of courage and integrity displayed by Matthew’s classmates in letting him twist in the wind alone, even though they knew he was telling the truth. Not hard to see where they get it.

That’s not a gentle response, is it? But it’s not personal to you (1) because you insist on being anonymous and (2) I would tell Matthew exactly the same thing if he remained silent while someone else was taking it on the chin. He wouldn’t do that, though, and that’s why he is who he is.

The way I see it, most people in our community say they value and honor courage – but when it comes time to show it, most of them don’t. What you’re really telling me is that you don’t value the things that keep a community’s or a nation’s political life alive. Matthew was OK with you so long as he did what you expect kids to do. The minute he thought and acted for himself, and caused a stir, you turned on him.

I’ll say it again. Democracy will not survive that way. To make mayonnaise, you must break some eggs. To have a democracy, some people must rock the boat. Democracy or all-conformity all-the-time. Take your pick.

I don’t think you appreciate the amount of time Matthew spends on religious freedom and other First Amendment issues, and on educational quality issues. He is on the phone and answering e-mails two to three hours every evening. He is now in demand within the groups that care deeply about these issues. He is scheduled to return this afternoon from ten days of conferences and training sessions in Washington, D. C. If previous experience is any guide, he will have hundreds of e-mails waiting for him when he arrives home. The Center for Inquiry is going to be flying him to half a dozen cities around the country during the coming academic year to represent their campus outreach program, of which he is now the president. To pull together the support for his battle on the Wilson-DiIulio textbook required many hours of work. Getting commitments from Ken Miller, Barry Lynn and Charles Liu to come to KHS to lecture took at least a week’s worth of work, full-time. Most people don’t seem to appreciate that these men are all top experts in their respective fields; getting to come here took a lot of time and effort, and even then it only happened because they felt strongly about what had happened, too.

What I’m telling you – again – is that you may not think these issues are important, but many Americans do. Matthew is fighting for his community, his school and his country. You just don’t see it.

I would like to be able to put a name and a face to your post. Come on over to me at the graduation ceremony, say hello and personally own what you just wrote. It’s the right thing to do. I won’t bite.

Guest Guest
If I had said that about your kid, what would you say about me?

I’m truly sorry that you choose to write things like this, especially without giving your name. To be blunt, I’m very disappointed in the lack of courage and integrity displayed by Matthew’s classmates in letting him twist in the wind alone, even though they knew he was telling the truth. Not hard to see where they get it.

That’s not a gentle response, is it? But it’s not personal to you (1) because you insist on being anonymous and (2) I would tell Matthew exactly the same thing if he remained silent while someone else was taking it on the chin. He wouldn’t do that, though, and that’s why he is who he is.

The way I see it, most people in our community say they value and honor courage – but when it comes time to show it, most of them don’t. What you’re really telling me is that you don’t value the things that keep a community’s or a nation’s political life alive. Matthew was OK with you so long as he did what you expect kids to do. The minute he thought and acted for himself, and caused a stir, you turned on him.

I’ll say it again. Democracy will not survive that way. To make mayonnaise, you must break some eggs. To have a democracy, some people must rock the boat. Democracy or all-conformity all-the-time. Take your pick.

I don’t think you appreciate the amount of time Matthew spends on religious freedom and other First Amendment issues, and on educational quality issues. He is on the phone and answering e-mails two to three hours every evening. He is now in demand within the groups that care deeply about these issues. He is scheduled to return this afternoon from ten days of conferences and training sessions in Washington, D. C. If previous experience is any guide, he will have hundreds of e-mails waiting for him when he arrives home. The Center for Inquiry is going to be flying him to half a dozen cities around the country during the coming academic year to represent their campus outreach program, of which he is now the president. To pull together the support for his battle on the Wilson-DiIulio textbook required many hours of work. Getting commitments from Ken Miller, Barry Lynn and Charles Liu to come to KHS to lecture took at least a week’s worth of work, full-time. Most people don’t seem to appreciate that these men are all top experts in their respective fields; getting to come here took a lot of time and effort, and even then it only happened because they felt strongly about what had happened, too.

What I’m telling you – again – is that you may not think these issues are important, but many Americans do. Matthew is fighting for his community, his school and his country. You just don’t see it.

I would like to be able to put a name and a face to your post. Come on over to me at the graduation ceremony, say hello and personally own what you just wrote. It’s the right thing to do. I won’t bite.

I will be the first person to "Booo" when your son gets called. You come on this blog like the innocent victim and those of us that know you know of your venomous ways.

There is no way that Matthew gets this escalated without the meddling of you, his father. So please do not try to come on here and act innocent. Name dropping went out years ago so we are not impressed.

What you and for all intensive purposes your son have done to this graduating class for the past two years, can never be undone. They will always have this stigma about them and their thoughts of what should have been a happy Junior and Senior year will never be given to them. The fact that you reiterate that no one backed Matthew doesn't even slightly make you think that his actions were inappropriate and that you sugarcoated them with legal mumbo-jumbo and lawyer threats to ease your sons issues and make a name for him. If anything should be done it should be an apology to this class for you trying to "break some eggs" in this town. Too bad if you don’t like it, that’s what us parents have felt the last two years.

Guest KHS '02
I will be the first person to "Booo" when your son gets called. You come on this blog like the innocent victim and those of us that know you know of your venomous ways.

There is no way that Matthew gets this escalated without the meddling of you, his father. So please do not try to come on here and act innocent. Name dropping went out years ago so we are not impressed.

What you and for all intensive purposes your son have done to this graduating class for the past two years, can never be undone. They will always have this stigma about them and their thoughts of what should have been a happy Junior and Senior year will never be given to them. The fact that you reiterate that no one backed Matthew doesn't even slightly make you think that his actions were inappropriate and that you sugarcoated them with legal mumbo-jumbo and lawyer threats to ease your sons issues and make a name for him. If anything should be done it should be an apology to this class for you trying to "break some eggs" in this town. Too bad if you don’t like it, that’s what us parents have felt the last two years.

The actions that were inappropriate were the preaching by the teacher, period. Get real.

Your buddy got caught in the act, and you're sore about it. I get it. Now it's time to get over it. Have some integrity and admit that Paszkiewicz did wrong, and that Matthew did everything he had to do to expose it.

Guest Guest

You're an idiot.

In the first place, if you "Booo" a graduate, you prove that you have no class. Don't blame Matthew that you've been exposed for what you are.

Second, it's only "meddling" because you don't agree.

Third, whatever "has been done" to this graduating class, they did to themselves, along with parents like you.

Fourth, you're the one playing the victim. The kids are fine, and their junior and senior years have been fine. You're the one with the problem.

Fifth, telling the truth isn't "backing Matthew." It's telling the truth. The fact that not one of his classmates told the truth publicly is shameful, and it reflects on their upbringing. The kids who went on news programs and denied that Paszkiewicz said what he said should be ashamed of themselves. I hope they like kissing ***, because they'll be doing it all their lives unless they grow some character.

Sixth, Matthew's actions were perfectly appropriate. He called out a teacher who was out of line. Get over it.

Seventh, you can "feel" any way you like. It would be better if in addition to feeling, you would think occasionally.