Say no to the stadium

Guest Feelin lucky, ready to fight

Guest Feelin lucky, ready to fight

April 19, 2006

Soccer Report

Red Bulls May Be Mix of Former Cosmos

By JACK BELL

Get ready for Cosmos-lite — with a jolt and a twist.

The departure of Alexi Lalas as president and general manager of the New York Red Bulls of Major League Soccer will hasten change. Franz Beckenbauer, an adviser to Dietrich Mateschitz, the owner of the company that makes the Red Bull energy drink, likes to work with people he knows. And the soccer people he knows best in the New York area are his former teammates on the Cosmos, the flagship team of the former North American Soccer League.

That is how Beckenbauer operated when he installed Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and Uli Hoeness in executive positions at his former club, Bayern Munich. While Beckenbauer is currently engaged as the head of Germany's World Cup organizing committee, changes at the Red Bulls could come quickly.

During a conference call Monday, Chris Canetti, the team's assistant general manager, said that Red Bull was "working on plans for the restructuring of this organization, and that those plans will be available to us within the near future, possibly within the next seven days."

That reorganization is likely to bring Giorgio Chinaglia to a top executive position. Shep Messing could replace Lalas, who became president and general manager of the Los Angeles Galaxy. Messing is a native New Yorker and a former Cosmos player who is now an agent and the color commentator for Red Bulls telecasts on the MSG Network.

While Red Bull has grand plans for the team (it is still interested in obtaining Ronaldo, Real Madrid's Brazilian striker), the unique nature of the single-entity system in M.L.S. means the team probably needs to be run by someone familiar and comfortable with the system. If management is inclined to wait until the World Cup ends in early July, perhaps it could bring in the United States national team manager, Bruce Arena, a native New Yorker who has won two titles in M.L.S. with D.C. United. But Arena is known to covet a job in Europe.

The changes could mean an end to Mo Johnston's short tenure as the team's coach (even though the club has not lost a regular-season game under him). The Red Bulls have three ties in three games this season.

Several former Cosmos players have coaching experience: Carlos Alberto (the Azerbaijan national team and several Brazilian clubs), Wim Rijsbergen (currently an assistant with the World Cup finalist Trinidad and Tobago, formerly an assistant at Club América in Mexico), Johan Neeskens (NEC Nijmegen and an assistant with the Dutch national team) and Vladislav Bogicevic (Belenenses of Portugal), who still lives in New Jersey.

Contrary to published reports, Lothar Matthäus, whom Beckenbauer has never gotten along with, and Roberto Donadoni, who makes more than a $1 million annually as the coach of Livorno in Italy, are not on Beckenbauer's short list even though they once played for the MetroStars.

Of course, there will be changes on the field. Red Bull is ready and willing to spend money (contingent upon approval from M.L.S. to spend beyond its salary budget), and has two vacant roster spots for what the league calls senior internationals.

"I don't think they need much time to think about this," Chinaglia said in a telephone interview. "It could be a week, it could be 10 days."

It is possible the team name could again be changed — to Red Bull Cosmos — because G. Peppe Pinton, who holds the Cosmos trademark rights, said in a telephone interview that he was willing "to give Franz whatever he wants."

The Red Bulls are also re-evaluating the plan to build a new stadium in Harrison, N.J., a project that was begun six years ago by the previous owners, the Anschutz Entertainment Group. Red Bull is more inclined to stay in the New Jersey Meadowlands, which is recognized around the world as the soccer destination in the New York metropolitan area.

Home

World U.S. N.Y. / Region Business Technology Science Health Sports Opinion Arts Style Travel Jobs Real Estate Autos Back to Top

Copyright 2006 The New York Times Company

Guest BlueTideBacker
April 19, 2006

Soccer Report

By JACK BELL

The departure of Alexi Lalas as president and general manager of the New York Red Bulls of Major League Soccer will hasten change. Franz Beckenbauer, an adviser to Dietrich Mateschitz, the owner of the company that makes the Red Bull energy drink, likes to work with people he knows. And the soccer people he knows best in the New York area are his former teammates on the Cosmos, the flagship team of the former North American Soccer League.

That is how Beckenbauer operated when he installed Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and Uli Hoeness in executive positions at his former club, Bayern Munich. While Beckenbauer is currently engaged as the head of Germany's World Cup organizing committee, changes at the Red Bulls could come quickly.

During a conference call Monday, Chris Canetti, the team's assistant general manager, said that Red Bull was "working on plans for the restructuring of this organization, and that those plans will be available to us within the near future, possibly within the next seven days."

That reorganization is likely to bring Giorgio Chinaglia to a top executive position. Shep Messing could replace Lalas, who became president and general manager of the Los Angeles Galaxy. Messing is a native New Yorker and a former Cosmos player who is now an agent and the color commentator for Red Bulls telecasts on the MSG Network.

While Red Bull has grand plans for the team (it is still interested in obtaining Ronaldo, Real Madrid's Brazilian striker), the unique nature of the single-entity system in M.L.S. means the team probably needs to be run by someone familiar and comfortable with the system. If management is inclined to wait until the World Cup ends in early July, perhaps it could bring in the United States national team manager, Bruce Arena, a native New Yorker who has won two titles in M.L.S. with D.C. United. But Arena is known to covet a job in Europe.

The changes could mean an end to Mo Johnston's short tenure as the team's coach (even though the club has not lost a regular-season game under him). The Red Bulls have three ties in three games this season.

Several former Cosmos players have coaching experience: Carlos Alberto (the Azerbaijan national team and several Brazilian clubs), Wim Rijsbergen (currently an assistant with the World Cup finalist Trinidad and Tobago, formerly an assistant at Club América in Mexico), Johan Neeskens (NEC Nijmegen and an assistant with the Dutch national team) and Vladislav Bogicevic (Belenenses of Portugal), who still lives in New Jersey.

Contrary to published reports, Lothar Matthäus, whom Beckenbauer has never gotten along with, and Roberto Donadoni, who makes more than a $1 million annually as the coach of Livorno in Italy, are not on Beckenbauer's short list even though they once played for the MetroStars.

Of course, there will be changes on the field. Red Bull is ready and willing to spend money (contingent upon approval from M.L.S. to spend beyond its salary budget), and has two vacant roster spots for what the league calls senior internationals.

"I don't think they need much time to think about this," Chinaglia said in a telephone interview. "It could be a week, it could be 10 days."

It is possible the team name could again be changed — to Red Bull Cosmos — because G. Peppe Pinton, who holds the Cosmos trademark rights, said in a telephone interview that he was willing "to give Franz whatever he wants."

The Red Bulls are also re-evaluating the plan to build a new stadium in Harrison, N.J., a project that was begun six years ago by the previous owners, the Anschutz Entertainment Group. Red Bull is more inclined to stay in the New Jersey Meadowlands, which is recognized around the world as the soccer destination in the New York metropolitan area.

Home

World U.S. N.Y. / Region Business Technology Science Health Sports Opinion Arts Style Travel Jobs Real Estate Autos Back to Top

The latest news that I've read is the groundbreaking is set for September. I think it's all over , the fat lady has sung.

Guest Guest in the know
April 19, 2006

Soccer Report

By JACK BELL

Home

The Red Bulls organization has an application pending before the Planning Board that would essentially build one of the finest and one of thr first Soccer Stadiums to include a "roof" over the seating area (not the field) much as they do in Europe. This Stadium when built will bring a great deal of recognition to Harrison, and it will bring us a great deal of upscale development much like that currently in Hoboken and other redeveloped northern "rustbelt" cities. It's the best thing to happen in Harrison since the Hotel was built, and the River front Condos started.

Guest 2smart4u
The Red Bulls organization has an application pending before the Planning Board that would essentially build one of the finest and one of thr first Soccer Stadiums to include a "roof" over the seating area (not the field) much as they do in Europe. This Stadium when built will bring a great deal of recognition to Harrison, and it will bring us a great deal of upscale development much like that currently in Hoboken and other redeveloped northern "rustbelt" cities.  It's the best thing to happen in Harrison since the Hotel was built, and the River front Condos started.

" GREAT DEAL OF RECOGNITION TO HARRISON" ??? The freakin stadium's name will be "RED BULLS NEW YORK" !!!

" UPSCALE DEVELOPMENT " ........ That won't pay property taxes !!

Get your head out of the Kool-aid jar, you've lost it.

Guest Reality

a $40,000,000 dollar bond was floated to acquire the land, clean it and give it to the developers, who instead of paying taxes on the land will pay back the loan (bond), thats if they sell tickets. If the Developers can not pay the loan back they will refinance the bond untill they can't any longer. At the expense MLS folds as it has in this country, THE TOWN OF HARRISON TAX PAYERS WILL PAY

THE TOWN OF HARRISON WILL NOT MAKE 1$ FROM THIS STADIUM. CAN YOU EXPLAIN TO ME HOW THEY WILL?AM I missing something??

a $40,000,000 dollar bond was floated to acquire the land, clean it and give it to the developers, who instead of paying taxes on the land will pay back the loan (bond), thats if they sell tickets.  If the Developers can not pay the loan back they will refinance the bond untill they can't any longer.  At the expense MLS folds as it has in this country, THE TOWN OF HARRISON TAX PAYERS WILL PAY

THE TOWN OF HARRISON WILL NOT MAKE 1$ FROM THIS STADIUM.  CAN YOU EXPLAIN TO ME HOW THEY WILL?AM I missing something??

Not a supporter but it will create alot more jobs for people & highschoolers. it will also create more police & fire jobs. And yes it will create a great burden to the town with more crime, vagrants & traffic harrison will be an official extension of newark and your property values will decrease

The Red Bulls organization has an application pending before the Planning Board that would essentially build one of the finest and one of thr first Soccer Stadiums to include a "roof" over the seating area (not the field) much as they do in Europe. This Stadium when built will bring a great deal of recognition to Harrison, and it will bring us a great deal of upscale development much like that currently in Hoboken and other redeveloped northern "rustbelt" cities.  It's the best thing to happen in Harrison since the Hotel was built, and the River front Condos started.

You seem to have a great deal of knowledge of what is before the planning board. How come you don't know the hotel was built outside the redevelopment zone. It was later included in the zone so the town could get funds to build a river walk behind the hotel? Thus saving the hotel's owner millions and shifting it to the taxpayers.

How come you don't know that the stadium, which was purchased by the Board of Education with taxpayers funds was sold to the developer thru a questionable scheme at a bargain price. If the town gave me the land at that price I would also become a developer and put up cardboard houses, making a fortune for myself at taxpayers expense.

Can you please tell me why, with all of this development my tax bill, which I received this week, had a huge increase in taxes?

You seem to have a great deal of knowledge of what is before the planning board.  How come you don't know the hotel was built outside the redevelopment zone.  It was later included in the zone so the town could get funds to build a river walk behind the hotel?  Thus saving the hotel's owner millions and shifting it to the taxpayers. 

How come you don't know that the stadium, which was purchased by the Board of Education with taxpayers funds was sold to the developer thru a questionable scheme at a bargain price.  If the town gave me the land at that price I would also become a developer and put up cardboard houses, making a fortune for myself at taxpayers expense.

Can you please tell me why, with all of this development  my tax bill, which I received this week, had a huge increase in taxes?

Can someone tell me when the planning board meets??

Guest Angry Taxpayer
You seem to have a great deal of knowledge of what is before the planning board.  How come you don't know the hotel was built outside the redevelopment zone.  It was later included in the zone so the town could get funds to build a river walk behind the hotel?  Thus saving the hotel's owner millions and shifting it to the taxpayers. 

How come you don't know that the stadium, which was purchased by the Board of Education with taxpayers funds was sold to the developer thru a questionable scheme at a bargain price.  If the town gave me the land at that price I would also become a developer and put up cardboard houses, making a fortune for myself at taxpayers expense.

Can you please tell me why, with all of this development  my tax bill, which I received this week, had a huge increase in taxes?

You think that increase was huge ?? Wait until you're handed the bill for the $40,000,000 the mayor borrowed to clean up the stadium site. You know, that stadium with the name "RED BULLS NEW YORK", that's owned by a foreign-owned company that will not share any profits with Harrison. Make sure you vote for McDonough in Nov.

Guest Doom's Day Sept. 19th

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Harrison stadium groundbreaking is Sept. 19

HARRISON -- The official groundbreaking ceremony for Red Bull Park, a 25,000-seat soccer stadium to be developed as a major component of the three-million square foot Harrison MetroCentre, will take place on Sept. 19 at 11:30 a.m. it was announced by Nick Sakiewicz, president of AEG New York, developers and managing partners of the outdoor venue.

When completed in the summer of 2008, Red Bull Park will be the home of the New York Red Bulls of Major League Soccer, concerts, international soccer matches, special events and other sporting competitions. AEG has recently developed and operates similar world-class "soccer specific" stadiums such as The Home Depot Center (Carson, Calif.) and Toyota Park (Bridgeview, Ill.).

"It's awesome to be finally breaking ground for the construction of what is going to be a very special stadium and surrounding development," Sakiewicz said. "Red Bull Park and Harrison Metro Center will be a place where soccer and entertainment lives. The rich soccer history in the area combined with the tremendous access to this location makes this the perfect place to build Red Bull Park."

Recently, Hudson County, New Jersey and the Town of Harrison completed the sale of $39.4 million of revenue bonds to finance the land acquisition necessary for the development of the Red Bull Park. AEG's partner on the stadium development is Red Bull Company Limited, the Austrian company that produces the world's leading energy drink as well as operates the New York Red Bulls soccer franchise since acquiring it from AEG earlier this year.

The $100 million state-of-the-art stadium will feature a 360 degree European-style roof/canopy covering the majority of the seating area, spacious locker rooms, sound and lighting systems specially tailored to the unique surroundings of Red Bull Park, the finest turf to create soccer's best pitch and well-appointed hospitality areas featuring 63 luxury suites positioned only 12 rows from the playing surface.

Advance Realty Group's multi-billion dollar Harrison MetroCentre, will feature 3 million square feet of office space, 3,500 residential units, 300,000 square feet of retail space and over 10,000 decked parking spaces when completely built-out.

posted by Kevin Canessa Jr. @ Sunday, August 13, 2006

<< Home

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Guest_ExBlueTider_*
Sunday, August 13, 2006

Harrison stadium groundbreaking is Sept. 19

HARRISON -- The official groundbreaking ceremony for Red Bull Park, a 25,000-seat soccer stadium to be developed as a major component of the three-million square foot Harrison MetroCentre, will take place on Sept. 19 at 11:30 a.m. it was announced by Nick Sakiewicz, president of AEG New York, developers and managing partners of the outdoor venue.

When completed in the summer of 2008, Red Bull Park will be the home of the New York Red Bulls of Major League Soccer, concerts, international soccer matches, special events and other sporting competitions. AEG has recently developed and operates similar world-class "soccer specific" stadiums such as The Home Depot Center (Carson, Calif.) and Toyota Park (Bridgeview, Ill.).

"It's awesome to be finally breaking ground for the construction of what is going to be a very special stadium and surrounding development," Sakiewicz said. "Red Bull Park and Harrison Metro Center will be a place where soccer and entertainment lives. The rich soccer history in the area combined with the tremendous access to this location makes this the perfect place to build Red Bull Park."

Recently, Hudson County, New Jersey and the Town of Harrison completed the sale of $39.4 million of revenue bonds to finance the land acquisition necessary for the development of the Red Bull Park. AEG's partner on the stadium development is Red Bull Company Limited, the Austrian company that produces the world's leading energy drink as well as operates the New York Red Bulls soccer franchise since acquiring it from AEG earlier this year.

The $100 million state-of-the-art stadium will feature a 360 degree European-style roof/canopy covering the majority of the seating area, spacious locker rooms, sound and lighting systems specially tailored to the unique surroundings of Red Bull Park, the finest turf to create soccer's best pitch and well-appointed hospitality areas featuring 63 luxury suites positioned only 12 rows from the playing surface.

Advance Realty Group's multi-billion dollar Harrison MetroCentre, will feature 3 million square feet of office space, 3,500 residential units, 300,000 square feet of retail space and over 10,000 decked parking spaces when completely built-out.

posted by Kevin Canessa Jr. @ Sunday, August 13, 2006     

<< Home

Sounds wonderful. But it doesn't mention the flood of kids that will be hitting the school system. 3,500 housing units, 1 or 2 kids per unit, means 5,000 + additional classroom spaces will be needed. Everyone knows that can't happen without 2 new schools being built. WHERE THE HELL ARE 2 NEW SCHOOLS GOING TO BE BUILT IN THIS OVER-CROWDED TOWN. I'm sure the mayor and council never considered the impact all these new housing units on our schools, or maybe they just didn't care. Either way, this town is headed for a school crisis and it ain't going to be pretty.

where have you been, everthing is go and the shovel cerimony is on track,  in a coma maybe ?.

Not realy but you could be in one soon. Tell tell maybe we could meet and i'll show you what coma means. This will definitely not be a date, don't get your hopes up high, just an ass kicking it should take me no more than a few minutes. OK?

Guest 2smart4u
Sounds wonderful. But it doesn't mention the flood of kids that will be hitting the school system.  3,500 housing units, 1 or 2 kids per unit, means 5,000 + additional classroom spaces will be needed.  Everyone knows that can't happen without 2 new schools being built. WHERE THE HELL ARE 2 NEW SCHOOLS GOING TO BE BUILT IN THIS OVER-CROWDED TOWN. I'm sure the mayor and council never considered the impact all these new housing units on our schools, or maybe they just didn't care. Either way, this town is headed for a school crisis and it ain't going to be pretty.

I would think building new schools in Harrison can't happen. It would require knocking down many existing homes which would make the overall cost impossible. And the NJ School Construction Corp. is broke so no help will be coming from them. WHY WOULD THE MAYOR AND COUNCIL, knowing how over-crowded our school system is, and knowing we can't build any more schools, agree to allow thousands of new housing units to be built in town ?? "Planned Crisis" seems like a term that would apply here. ExBlueTider, you hit it right on the head, "it ain't going to be pretty".

Guest Guest in the know
Can someone tell me when the planning board meets??

Planning Board meets each month on the fourth Wednesday. A copy of their scheduled meetings as well as an agenda is available from their secretary Mary Gaines in the Construction Dep't. (basement of town hall).

Guest 2smart4u
Planning Board meets each month on the fourth Wednesday. A copy of their scheduled meetings as well as an agenda is available from their secretary Mary Gaines in the Construction Dep't. (basement of town hall).

Don't waste your time. The fat lady has sung, the envelopes have been distributed, the bank deposits have been made, the mortgage on the shore house has been paid off. Now the rest is up to you and the rest of Harrison's taxpayers; a $40,000,000.00 bill you're going to start paying on for the rest of your life, or at least as long as you live in Harrison.