DONE DEAL !!

Guest 2smart4u

Guest 2smart4u

Well, Harrison sealed it's fate today. The Red Bulls announced the sale of almost $40,000,000. in finance bonds to build the stadium. And here's the part that everyone will love; The annual finance charges will be paid by the Red Bulls and the surrounding commercial and retail complex, IN LIEU OF TAXES !!!!

Anyone who thought they were going to get some tax relief should think again. It's looks like a sweetheart deal for the stadium owners and it looks like the taxpayers of Harrison get the shaft.

I have yet to see how Harrison benefits from this soccer stadium. The mayor borrows $40,000,000 to buy or clean up the property or whatever. The taxpayers are on the hook for this money and will pay higher taxes every year for it.

The stadium owners will keep the profits from the stadium and the county will get the profits from the parking deck.

Oh, I almost forgot, Harrison gets more traffic, more noise, more crime, more police needed. Sounds like a real win-win for Harrison.

Guest Guest_taxpayer_*
Well, Harrison sealed it's fate today.  The Red Bulls announced the sale of almost $40,000,000. in finance bonds to build the stadium.  And here's  the part that everyone will love;  The annual finance charges will be paid by the Red Bulls and the surrounding commercial and retail complex,  IN LIEU OF TAXES !!!!

Anyone who thought they were going to get some tax relief should think again. It's looks like a sweetheart deal for the stadium owners and it looks like the taxpayers of Harrison get the shaft.

I have yet to see how Harrison benefits from this soccer stadium. The mayor borrows $40,000,000 to buy or clean up the property or whatever. The taxpayers are on the hook for this money and will pay higher taxes every year for it.

The stadium owners will keep the profits from the stadium and the county will get the profits from the parking deck.

Oh, I almost forgot, Harrison gets more traffic, more noise, more crime, more police needed.  Sounds like a real win-win for Harrison.

I agree. Here is a link to an article 40 Million Bonded Article

A black cloud has drifted over the Crucible Steel building. Taxpayers who are asleep don't realize that the McDonough administration has just handed 40 million to a developer for a project which brings nothing to the town but traffic, a need for more police, fire, paramedics, and dpw employees. The cost of remediating the contamination will eat up most of the 40 million. This was the Crucible steel complex with chemicals being spilled throughout the facility. PSEG is starting their remediation. They just cut a curb cut into South F.E.Rodgers Blvd this week for the trucks to cart the soil away. I truly do not understand this Mayor. Can someone from the administration, or from Red Bull explain how the town pays back the bonds. Where is the money coming from? Payment in lieu of taxes. Will that pay the debt? I don't think so. Why does the developer get the naming rights and all the benefits of the stadium. Harrison gets nothing for 40million.

I thought that Hudson County would stop this project. I was wrong. Corzine says we need to help the taxpayers. What did he do on this project? Nothing. He is just another corrupt politican. He is taxing us to death under the guise of lowering taxes. That's like Mayor McDonough saying the redevelopment will lower your taxes. It's the exact opposite.

Guest Guest

Friends of Harrison

is in favor of a Development:

Harrison is in a drastic need of a Development.

A development that would help all Harrisonians.

We do not agree with the current redevelopment plan.

WHO'S MAKING THE PLANS, THE SAME PEOPLE WHO TOOK JFK STADIUM AND LEFT THE KIDS WITH NO FIELD?

How will the Redevelopment Affect You?

*7,000 new Condos / Apartments planned

Do you know that 7,000 condos can bring up to 14,000 new residents?

Do you know the current population of Harrison as of the census of 2000, is 14,424 people, 5,136 households, and 3,636 families residing in the town?

-That's 2.8 per household 7,000 condos = 19,659 new residents

or a total of 34,083 residents!

Can you imagine if this current re-development plan goes into effect.

The population will be close to 35,000 people.

(now add a 25,000 fans for a soccer game)

*No new Schools

*No Recreational Space

*No SENIOR HOUSING

*No new Fire / Police Stations

*No low income Housing

Guest Guest

Who ever thought tthere would be tax releif from this stadium? What sweetheart deal?

What traffic, noise, and crime? The Red Bulls will draw next to nobody.

This thing is going to go t^ts up faster than rabbits multiply!

Guest Guest

Don't worry about the police they can handle the influx of all the traffic,crime, and bullsh#t with only 46men as the chief says. He can run the town with 30 men he says. Wake up Chief!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Guest
I agree.  Here is a link to an article 40 Million Bonded Article

A black cloud has drifted over the Crucible Steel building.  Taxpayers who are asleep don't realize that the McDonough administration has just handed 40 million to a developer for a project which brings nothing to the town but traffic, a need for more police, fire, paramedics, and dpw employees.  The cost of remediating the contamination will eat up most of the 40 million.  This was the Crucible steel complex with chemicals being spilled throughout the facility.  PSEG is starting their remediation.  They just cut a curb cut into South F.E.Rodgers Blvd this week for the trucks to cart the soil away.  I truly do not understand this Mayor.  Can someone from the administration, or from Red Bull explain how the town pays back the bonds.  Where is the money coming from?  Payment in lieu of taxes.  Will that pay the debt?  I don't think so.  Why does the developer get the naming rights and all the benefits of the stadium.  Harrison gets nothing for 40million.

I thought that Hudson County would stop this project.  I was wrong.  Corzine says we need to help the taxpayers.  What did he do on this project?  Nothing.  He is just another corrupt politican.  He is taxing us to death under the guise of lowering taxes.  That's like Mayor McDonough saying the redevelopment will lower your taxes.  It's the exact opposite.

Corzine is an a-hole just like the rest of them, he is friends with the Mayor and probably owed him something so he didn't squash it meanwhile we have to pay 7% tax, why doesn't he apply the 40 mil to close the budget, this is going to be great 280 traffic already horrible, now we are going to have big trucks carting polluted dirt and materials through out streets for us and our children to inhale. Something has got to give, we really need to put these people on blast

Guest guest
Payments begin in 2010 for these bonds at an annual cost of 3.1 million. There is a few more years before the taxes skyrocket.

Good to know, so this way people who have worked hard all their life can move out before they have to give their retirement back to this dump called Harrison. Thanks Big Shot!!

Guest 2smart4u
Payments begin in 2010 for these bonds at an annual cost of 3.1 million. There is a few more years before the taxes skyrocket.

The bonds you're referring to are the bonds just sold to build the stadium. Their payments don't start until 2010. They will be paid by the commercial and retail tenants of the complex, IN LIEU OF TAXES TO THE TOWN. (wonderful).

The $40,000,000 McDonough is borrowing is different . That's money Harrison is putting up to clean up the site or whatever. AND WE ARE PAYING THAT BILL. And I think those payment will start sooner.

Guest Guest in the know
Well, Harrison sealed it's fate today.  The Red Bulls announced the sale of almost $40,000,000. in finance bonds to build the stadium.  And here's  the part that everyone will love;  The annual finance charges will be paid by the Red Bulls and the surrounding commercial and retail complex,  IN LIEU OF TAXES !!!!

Oh, I almost forgot, Harrison gets more traffic, more noise, more crime, more police needed.  Sounds like a real win-win for Harrison.

This will bring better and more upscale development, that's how our taxes will benefit. Mike wake up and smell the roses! Your days and the days of your father-in-laws BS are over.

Guest Guest
This will bring better and more upscale development, that's how our taxes will benefit. Mike wake up and smell the roses! Your days and the days of your father-in-laws BS are over.

How many people moved near Yankee Stadium or Madison Square Garden, because a team plays there. Get off the kool aid and get a second job. You will need it to pay your taxes.

Guest Guest

Your as blind as they come artie, Your a good guy, to bad you have the PSVC dumb diseases

Guest 2smart4u

"Better and more upscale development" ?? What a joke. Rows and rows of boxy townhouses with no "green spaces" included do not make anything "upscale". You sound like one of the Zombies that support this mayor. You're about to start paying interest on the $40,000,000 McDonough borrowed to help a foreign owned company build a stadium in town. Lower taxes ?? Keep dreaming.

"Better and more upscale development" ??  What a joke.  Rows and rows of boxy townhouses with no "green spaces" included do not make anything "upscale". You sound like one of the Zombies  that support this mayor. You're about to start paying interest on the $40,000,000 McDonough borrowed to help a foreign owned  company build a stadium in town.  Lower taxes ?? Keep dreaming.

Wait until the developer gets the bill for the PVSC hookup fee. They will love paying for all those political positions. Maybe the hookup fee got waived along with the property taxes since McDonough, Pettigrew, Villalta, Powell have connections over at the valley.

Guest 2smart4u
Wait until the developer gets the bill for the PVSC hookup fee.  They will love paying for all those political positions.  Maybe the hookup fee got waived along with the property taxes since McDonough, Pettigrew, Villalta, Powell have connections over at the valley.

What am I not getting here ?? The mayor borrows $40,000,000 to buy, clean up or whatever, the land for the stadium. The taxpayers of Harrison will be on the hook for the $40,000,000 and will pay annual payments through their property taxes. The stadium will be owned by a foreign company that will keep all the profits. The stadium owners have also borrowed $40,000,000 to build the stadium. But the owners won't have to make the annual payments on that tab. The commercial and retail outlets of the complex will make the annual payments for them, in leiu of property taxes. Then there's the parking deck. Hudson County will get the money from the parking receipts.

What's Harrison getting out of all this ?? Can you say lots of more school trailers ?? The number I've heard is 6,000 housing units. At one child per unit, that's 6,000 kids added to the school system. The schools just can't handle that. So what's the answer, build more schools ?? Can anyone imagine buying and knocking down wide areas of houses to build a school with a parking area (forget recreation space). The school construction corp. is broke, no more help there. Can taxpayers be expected to allow their kids to be educated in trailers their entire school age years, at $16,000 + per student per year ??

I don't see a way out of this coming nightmare scenario. Maybe the new owners of the housing units won't have kids ?? Some probably won't. I think one child per unit is a conservative number in any event.

Maybe the mayor has a secret answer to this issue and he's just not telling. If the council meeting had an open session where I could read this post to them, maybe they would have an answer. Oh, well.

Guest Pele'

I think you have a better shot of reuniting the New Jersey Brewers (Harrison's 1st pro soccer team - circa 1977) and setting them up at the new HHS stadium.

Its better than dealing with 15,000 empty seats, after people realize that the Bulls s@ck and its not worth their time going to see them play. Even if they do go, their car probably wont be in the lot when they get out of the game.

Guest guest
Friends of Harrison

is in favor of a Development:

Harrison is in a drastic need of a Development. 

A development that would help all Harrisonians. 

We do not agree with the current redevelopment plan.

WHO'S MAKING THE PLANS, THE SAME PEOPLE WHO TOOK JFK STADIUM AND LEFT THE KIDS WITH NO FIELD?

How will the Redevelopment Affect You?

*7,000 new Condos / Apartments planned

Do you know that 7,000 condos can bring up to 14,000 new residents?

Do you know the current population of Harrison  as of the census of 2000, is 14,424 people, 5,136 households, and 3,636 families residing in the town?

-That's 2.8 per household 7,000 condos = 19,659 new residents

or a total of 34,083 residents!

Can you imagine if this current re-development plan goes into effect.

The population will be close to 35,000 people. 

(now add a 25,000 fans for a soccer game)

*No new Schools

*No Recreational Space

*No SENIOR HOUSING

*No new Fire / Police Stations

*No low income Housing

You're right about everything, EXCEPT the LOW INCOME Housing.

We ALREADY HAVE 'MORE' Low Income housing than N Arlington and Kearny with an approx 39,000 pop. We have the extremely large ten building Harrison Gardens and 3 building Kingsland Court. So if our population more than doubles and is equal to that of Kearny, we have a 'Humongus' amount of Low Income Housing compare to Kearny who has none. What we need is SENIOR housing for low and middle income seniors.

Guest Angry Taxpayer

We ALREADY HAVE 'MORE' Low Income housing than N Arlington and Kearny with an approx 39,000 pop. We have the extremely large ten building Harrison Gardens and 3 building Kingsland Court.  So if our population more than doubles and is equal to that of Kearny, we have a 'Humongus' amount of Low Income Housing compare to Kearny who has none.  What we need is SENIOR housing for low and middle income seniors.

Did you vote for McDonough ?? If you did, you told him we don't need senior housing, you told him you're happy and content.

Guest Guest

We ALREADY HAVE 'MORE' Low Income housing than N Arlington and Kearny with an approx 39,000 pop. We have the extremely large ten building Harrison Gardens and 3 building Kingsland Court.  So if our population more than doubles and is equal to that of Kearny, we have a 'Humongus' amount of Low Income Housing compare to Kearny who has none.  What we need is SENIOR housing for low and middle income seniors.

for every 8 units, you need one low income housing

Guest KEN THORBOURNE

This is a load of crap. We have a legit arguement because the Metrostars have always played in New Jersey and never in New York.

Name change for soccer team is bunch of bulls

Monday, March 13, 2006

By ROSE DUGER

JOURNAL CORRESPONDENT

HARRISON - What's in a name? A lot if you're from New Jersey.

The Garden State, which sits in the shadow of Manhattan, got its latest slap in the face Thursday, when plans were announced to change the name of the state's only Major League Soccer team to Red Bull New York.

The MetroStars will now be known as Red Bull New York after Red Bull Company Limited purchased the team, along with naming rights and a 50 percent stake in a new stadium to be constructed in Harrison.

The announcement sparked an outcry among sports fans and politicians, who are apparently still smarting from a decades-old decision by the New York Giants and New York Jets, both of which play in East Rutherford, to shun a New Jersey moniker in favor of the state's better known neighbor.

The state's other two professional sports teams, the Devils and the Nets, which also call East Rutherford home, sport official names crediting the Garden State.

Harrison officials reacted to the slight with hope that it would soon be corrected.

Mayor Raymond J. McDonough said he expects Red Bull's parent company, which has offices in Hoboken, to realize its error and make reparations by somehow including the state in the name of the team set to become Hudson County's first major league sports team.

"In all honesty, these are intelligent people," McDonough said. "I think they'll realize they've made a mistake. They're not going to slap us in the face. I think this will all be rectified within a day or two."

Team spokesman Matt Chmura, however, said there are no plans to alter the team's new name.

"As far as I've been made aware it's pretty well set," Chmura said. "I haven't heard anything about it changing."

Other than the team's name, fans have already seen changes in the team's logo, which now features two bulls charging toward a soccer ball. New Red Bull uniforms will be unveiled before the team's home opener on April 8 at Giants Stadium against the New England Revolution.

Also this is personal because Hudson County, of which Jersey City is the county seat and the beautiful courthouse is located near JSQ, is footing the bill for the new stadium. This is also Hudson County's first major league sports team ever so to have it called Red Bull New York is a load of S*** and a slap in the face.

Pols urge Jersey ID for Red Bull team

Monday, March 13, 2006

In response to news reports that the major league soccer franchise "NY/NJ MetroStars" has changed its team name to "Red Bull New York," Assembly members Joan M. Quigley (D-Jersey City) and Vincent Prieto (D-Secaucus) have vowed legislative action to ensure that New Jersey isn't left on the sidelines, while neighboring New York gets all the glory.

"This is ridiculous," Quigley said. "The franchise has a 10-year presence in New Jersey. Our residents support the team. And Hudson County and Harrison are helping the team finance a $165 million stadium construction project."

Quigley and Prieto are crafting legislation to pressure the team's corporate owners - Austrian-based Red Bull, makers of the energy drink by the same name - to include New Jersey in the team name.

The legislators also are sending a letter to the Hudson County Improvement Authority urging the HCIA to join them in urging Red Bull to incorporate New Jersey in the team's name. The HCIA and Harrison are putting up $85 million to help the soccer franchise construct a new stadium in Harrison.

KEN THORBOURNE

Guest 2smart4u
This is a load of crap. We have a legit arguement because the Metrostars have always played in New Jersey and never in New York.

Name change for soccer team is bunch of bulls

Monday, March 13, 2006

By ROSE DUGER

JOURNAL CORRESPONDENT

HARRISON - What's in a name? A lot if you're from New Jersey.

The Garden State, which sits in the shadow of Manhattan, got its latest slap in the face Thursday, when plans were announced to change the name of the state's only Major League Soccer team to Red Bull New York.

The MetroStars will now be known as Red Bull New York after Red Bull Company Limited purchased the team, along with naming rights and a 50 percent stake in a new stadium to be constructed in Harrison.

The announcement sparked an outcry among sports fans and politicians, who are apparently still smarting from a decades-old decision by the New York Giants and New York Jets, both of which play in East Rutherford, to shun a New Jersey moniker in favor of the state's better known neighbor.

The state's other two professional sports teams, the Devils and the Nets, which also call East Rutherford home, sport official names crediting the Garden State.

Harrison officials reacted to the slight with hope that it would soon be corrected.

Mayor Raymond J. McDonough said he expects Red Bull's parent company, which has offices in Hoboken, to realize its error and make reparations by somehow including the state in the name of the team set to become Hudson County's first major league sports team.

"In all honesty, these are intelligent people," McDonough said. "I think they'll realize they've made a mistake. They're not going to slap us in the face. I think this will all be rectified within a day or two."

Team spokesman Matt Chmura, however, said there are no plans to alter the team's new name.

"As far as I've been made aware it's pretty well set," Chmura said. "I haven't heard anything about it changing."

Other than the team's name, fans have already seen changes in the team's logo, which now features two bulls charging toward a soccer ball. New Red Bull uniforms will be unveiled before the team's home opener on April 8 at Giants Stadium against the New England Revolution.

Also this is personal because Hudson County, of which Jersey City is the county seat and the beautiful courthouse is located near JSQ, is footing the bill for the new stadium. This is also Hudson County's first major league sports team ever so to have it called Red Bull New York is a load of S*** and a slap in the face.

Pols urge Jersey ID for Red Bull team

Monday, March 13, 2006

In response to news reports that the major league soccer franchise "NY/NJ MetroStars" has changed its team name to "Red Bull New York," Assembly members Joan M. Quigley (D-Jersey City) and Vincent Prieto (D-Secaucus) have vowed legislative action to ensure that New Jersey isn't left on the sidelines, while neighboring New York gets all the glory.

"This is ridiculous," Quigley said. "The franchise has a 10-year presence in New Jersey. Our residents support the team. And Hudson County and Harrison are helping the team finance a $165 million stadium construction project."

Quigley and Prieto are crafting legislation to pressure the team's corporate owners - Austrian-based Red Bull, makers of the energy drink by the same name - to include New Jersey in the team name.

The legislators also are sending a letter to the Hudson County Improvement Authority urging the HCIA to join them in urging Red Bull to incorporate New Jersey in the team's name. The HCIA and Harrison are putting up $85 million to help the soccer franchise construct a new stadium in Harrison.

KEN THORBOURNE

The naming of the team and the stadium should have been negotiated and determined BEFORE the financing was set. Harrison is getting a raw deal here and I have to question who did the negotiating for Harrison; McDonough ?? Higgins ?? I think they were in over their heads with the corporate lawyers I'm sure the Red Bulls had on their side.

Guest guest
The naming of the team and the stadium should have been negotiated and determined BEFORE the financing was set.  Harrison is getting a raw deal here and I have to question  who did the negotiating for Harrison; McDonough ??  Higgins ??  I think they were in over their heads with the corporate lawyers I'm sure the Red Bulls had on their side.

WHERE IS CASTANO??? HIGGINS AND THE MAYOR HAD BETTER GET ATTORNEY CASTANO IN ON THIS MATTER TO KICK SOME RED BULL BUTT OR END THE DEAL IF THE RED BULLS REFUSE THE SEE REASON AND NEGOTIATE FAIRLY.

BETTER TO BUILD SOME CORPORATE OFFICES ALONG THE RIVER , NEAR THE PATH, LIKE NEWARK IS DOING NEAR PENN STATION THE PAST TEN YEARS.

Guest Guest

Amen to that, don't us seniors mean anything to this mayor and council? the mayor handed out gift certificates around election time for what? I now realize what the younger generation is so uptight about all the mayor wanted was my vote. I know that i will not be around too much longer but these other people with families will have to endure the headaches. thank you for listening.

Mertha

Guest 2smart4u
WHERE IS CASTANO???  HIGGINS AND THE MAYOR HAD BETTER GET ATTORNEY CASTANO IN ON THIS MATTER TO KICK SOME RED BULL BUTT OR END THE DEAL IF THE RED BULLS REFUSE THE SEE REASON AND NEGOTIATE FAIRLY.

BETTER TO BUILD SOME CORPORATE OFFICES ALONG THE RIVER , NEAR THE PATH, LIKE NEWARK IS DOING NEAR PENN STATION THE PAST TEN YEARS.

I think it's way too late to think about re-negotiating anything. The barn door is open and the horses are gone.