Guest Millan Believer

Guest Millan Believer

I will throw in comments in red

The Star-Ledger Archive

COPYRIGHT © The Star-Ledger 1994

Date: 1994/08/21 Sunday Page: Section: NEWS Edition: FINAL Size: 0 words

MCDONOUGH LISTS HARRISON ISSUES

TOWANDA UNDERDUE

Raymond McDonough, the Democratic councilman seeking to become Harrison's mayor, is campaigning door-to-door on the issues of taxes and recreation. McDonough, who is competing against Republican James Humphreys for the mayoral seat that Frank Rodgers has held for 48 years, says he will try to stabilize both school and municipal taxes if elected Nov. 8. Rodgers has announced he will not seek re-election because he has knee injuries that prevent him from going door-to-door. McDonough said it he is elected, he will follow Rodgers' example of working with council colleagues to move the township forward.

''For the fifth year in a row, we have seen municipal taxes either remain stable or decrease,'' said McDonough,Then McDonough took over and it all went up, including water & sewer who has been a councilman for 18 years. ''We have done it with good management, and we can do the same with the school taxes.''He made the town an Abott District and a town in financial aide, POOR MANAGEMENT I GUESS (LACK OF BUSINESS EXPERIENCE) Although school taxes have increased ''slightly'' the past few years, some residents are concerned about any rise in taxes, said the 45-year-old McDonough, who lives on Jersey Street with his wife, Constance. McDonough said if elected, he will work with his colleagues to get school taxes stabilized. ''I get along well with everyone on the council, and that's a plus,'' said McDonough, noting that his friends Democratic Councilmen Frederick Confessore, O.J. DiSalvo and Peter Higgins 3d, also work for the school district. That's why they didn't go down McDonough is an assistant schools superintendent, DiSalvo is a superintendent and Higgins is the business administrator. In addition to stabilizing school taxes, McDonough vowed to make municipal government more efficient by consolidating the recreation, water and street departments into one department of public works. HOW WAS THAT GOOD?The consolidation would allow employees to perform a variety of tasks, he said. McDonough, director of the recreation department, said he also is looking forward to opening the Harrison Community Center in the old Warner Theater building at Frank E. Rodgers Boulevard and Warren Street. The refurbished building, scheduled for completion by Oct. 15, would include a gymnasium for Harrison youths, he said. ''I'm also going to look into redeveloping this property (on Passaic Avenue) into a field for the kids,'' said McDonough, who attended the Holy Cross School in Harrison. McDonough, who works as a plumber, said he also would continue to repave portions of Harrison Avenue, Frank E. Rodgers Boulevard, Davis Avenue, Paterson Street and Warren Street, near the proposed community center. The son of former Harrison Councilman/Hudson County Freeholder Raymond McDonough Sr. said he is involved in politics ''because it's in my blood, and I enjoy helping people.Your friends is more like it, the rest you threaten ''My father died 31 years ago, when I was just 13 years old,'' said McDonough, whose father also was a plumber. ''But he did a lot for the people of Harrison before he died. ''He really enjoyed helping people, and he was generous to the schools and churches,'' McDonough recalled. ''I guess you could say that I'm following in his footsteps.''No your not, he had kids, he knew what it was like to raise a family, OWN A HOME, PAY TAXES, put kids thru school....

McDonough might be an OK guy, but he's not a good mayor. He's failed to accomplish any of his issues. It's time to let him leave and believe me, if he loses he's leaving Harrison for good, going down the shore

Guest Guest_SMOKEY_*

''I get along well with everyone on the council, and that's a plus,'' said McDonough, noting that his friends Democratic Councilmen Frederick Confessore, O.J. DiSalvo and Peter Higgins 3d, also work for the school district. That's why they didn't go down

(McDonough is an assistant schools superintendent, )

DiSalvo is a superintendent and Higgins is the business administrator. In addition to stabilizing school taxes, McDonough vowed to make municipal

i never knew mcdonough was an assistant school superintendent

Guest Guest

The Star-Ledger Archive

TOWANDA UNDERDUE

Raymond McDonough, the Democratic councilman seeking to become Harrison's mayor, is campaigning door-to-door on the issues of taxes and recreation. McDonough, who is competing against Republican James Humphreys for the mayoral seat that Frank Rodgers has held for 48 years, says he will try to stabilize both school and municipal taxes if elected Nov. 8. Rodgers has announced he will not seek re-election because he has knee injuries that prevent him from going door-to-door. McDonough said it he is elected, he will follow Rodgers' example of working with council colleagues to move the township forward.

''For the fifth year in a row, we have seen municipal taxes either remain stable or decrease,'' said McDonough,Then McDonough took over and it all went up, including water & sewer who has been a councilman for 18 years. ''We have done it with good management, and we can do the same with the school taxes.''He made the town an Abott District and a town in financial aide, POOR MANAGEMENT I GUESS (LACK OF BUSINESS EXPERIENCE) Although school taxes have increased ''slightly'' the past few years, some residents are concerned about any rise in taxes, said the 45-year-old McDonough, who lives on Jersey Street with his wife, Constance. McDonough said if elected, he will work with his colleagues to get school taxes stabilized. ''I get along well with everyone on the council, and that's a plus,'' said McDonough, noting that his friends Democratic Councilmen Frederick Confessore, O.J. DiSalvo and Peter Higgins 3d, also work for the school district. That's why they didn't go down McDonough is an assistant schools superintendent, DiSalvo is a superintendent and Higgins is the business administrator. In addition to stabilizing school taxes, McDonough vowed to make municipal government more efficient by consolidating the recreation, water and street departments into one department of public works. HOW WAS THAT GOOD?The consolidation would allow employees to perform a variety of tasks, he said. McDonough, director of the recreation department, said he also is looking forward to opening the Harrison Community Center in the old Warner Theater building at Frank E. Rodgers Boulevard and Warren Street. The refurbished building, scheduled for completion by Oct. 15, would include a gymnasium for Harrison youths, he said. ''I'm also going to look into redeveloping this property (on Passaic Avenue) into a field for the kids,'' said McDonough, who attended the Holy Cross School in Harrison. McDonough, who works as a plumber, said he also would continue to repave portions of Harrison Avenue, Frank E. Rodgers Boulevard, Davis Avenue, Paterson Street and Warren Street, near the proposed community center. The son of former Harrison Councilman/Hudson County Freeholder Raymond McDonough Sr. said he is involved in politics ''because it's in my blood, and I enjoy helping people.Your friends is more like it, the rest you threaten ''My father died 31 years ago, when I was just 13 years old,'' said McDonough, whose father also was a plumber. ''But he did a lot for the people of Harrison before he died. ''He really enjoyed helping people, and he was generous to the schools and churches,'' McDonough recalled. ''I guess you could say that I'm following in his footsteps.''No your not, he had kids, he knew what it was like to raise a family, OWN A HOME, PAY TAXES, put kids thru school....

McDonough might be an OK guy, but he's not a good mayor.  He's failed to accomplish any of his issues.  It's time to let him leave and believe me, if he loses he's leaving Harrison for good, going down the shore

Stevie boy you have it wrong again! You are the one moving to your house in Belmar. Ray doesn't like the shore, and rarely stays there. He is too busy caring about Harrison and it's future when he is not at work earning a living, like everyone else. He is a super nice regular guy who spends a lot of his personal time helping those in Harrison and hoping to build a better future for the town through redevelopment!

Stevie boy you have it wrong again! You are the one moving to your house in Belmar. Ray doesn't like the shore, and rarely stays there. He is too busy caring about Harrison and it's future when he is not at work earning a living, like everyone else. He is a super nice regular guy who spends a lot of his personal time helping those in Harrison and hoping to build a better future for the town through redevelopment!

Share some of the crack you're smoking.

Guest Guest

i can't understand why you are discussing things that happened 16 years ago with a different mayor and some long gone council people , nothing currant to discuss ? you really need help if your still trapped in the past . do you know who the current president is ??....................

Guest guest

The Star-Ledger Archive

TOWANDA UNDERDUE

McDonough might be an OK guy, but he's not a good mayor.  He's failed to accomplish any of his issues.  It's time to let him leave and believe me, if he loses he's leaving Harrison for good, going down the shore

Those sidewalks that he promised to repave. I notice that the workers did not go past 5th St. all the way to Schuyler Ave. What happened Mayor? How about repaing the 'rest' of the sidewalks on the avenue, all the way to Davis Ave , past the Little League ball park , past the Gardens to the end of town!?!?!?

Guest 2smart4u

Do you call 6,000 new housing units, doubling the town population, flooding already over-crowded schools, creating a nightmare scenario with a soccer stadium, borrowing $40,000,000 + to help a foreign-owned company make money in Harrison while Harrison gets nothing from it, allowing a house to be shoe-horned into every under-sized lot in town, neglecting the youth of Harrison by not providing one square inch of recreation space and not allowing free speech at the council meetings, BUILDING A BETTER FUTURE ?? You're either a councilman or a crack addict.