port-brazil out

Guest viva la fraaance

Guest viva la fraaance

Thank GOD these teams are out of world cup!! kearny can sleep without all the flag waving and horn blowing..

LETS GO FRANCE!!!!! GO HOME HISPANICS

Guest Pierre

I agree...VIVA LA FRANCE.....they had a double knockout...But then what American cares???? Go to A Metrostar/Red Bull game and sit among the empty seats...

quote=viva la fraaance,Jul 5 2006, 05:29 PM]

Thank GOD these teams are out of world cup!! kearny can sleep without all the flag waving and horn blowing..

LETS GO FRANCE!!!!! GO HOME HISPANICS

Guest red white and blue
Portuguese are white European.

Remember red white and blue . RESPECT THIS COUNTRY INSTEAD THEY MAKE THEIR MONEY AND LEAVE. Is that really loving this GREAT COUNRTY. They are just users .

Guest Guest

I was responding to the person that said Hispanics leave. Portuguese are not Hispanic.

They make their money and leave you say. First, not true. Maybe some do but not their children. My wife is portuguese and wants nothing to do with Portugal except a visit every 4 or 5 years. She is now as American as can be. She wasn't born here but she loves it here, understands the greatness and is rasing our children here.

Second point. If (they) come here, make money and then leave, who set up a system that you can do that? Who allows that?

Remember red white and blue . RESPECT THIS COUNTRY INSTEAD THEY MAKE THEIR MONEY AND LEAVE. Is that really loving this GREAT COUNRTY. They are just users .

Guest Guest
Portuguese are white European.

Eligible as "non caucasian" when it comes to applying for financial aid or acceptance into college when you don't want to try the "white" or "caucasian" route.

So maybe try again.

Guest Guest
Eligible as "non caucasian" when it comes to applying for financial aid or acceptance into college when you don't want to try the "white" or "caucasian" route.

So maybe try again.

No, since Portugal is in Europe, I doubt that many Portuguese are claiming to be something other than what they are, which is white Europeans. You may be thinking of many Brazilians who also speak the Portuguese language and identify strongly with Portuguese culture. Or perhaps, you are just ingnorant of cultures other than your own.

Guest Guest

So maybe try again.

so again, who's setting up the system that allows that?

I think you are wrong about that anyway.

Guest Guest
No, since Portugal is in Europe, I doubt that many Portuguese are claiming to be something other than what they are, which is white Europeans.  You may be thinking of many Brazilians who also speak the Portuguese language and identify strongly with Portuguese culture.  Or perhaps, you are just ingnorant of cultures other than your own.

yes, this person IS ignorant

Guest RED WHITE AND BLUE
I was responding to the person that said Hispanics leave. Portuguese are not Hispanic.

They make their money and leave you say. First, not true. Maybe some do but not their children. My wife is portuguese and wants nothing to do with Portugal except a visit every 4 or 5 years. She is now as American as can be. She wasn't born here but she loves it here, understands the greatness and is rasing our children here.

Second point. If (they) come here, make money and then leave, who set up a system that you can do that? Who allows that?

I did not mean to offend you or anyone else. Yes our system allows people to come and leave. Thats why we are the GREATEST COUNTRY. I was making a point that many leave after they make the dollar bill. I know a young couple who went back but thats their choice. Go to Seabras you get a good idea on how you are treated.I have been in Spain and was not treated that way. I like portugese people I have a family member who dates a nice man. But they have a way of taking things over and when they are your neighbors they became anal about everything. Trees ,birds ,dogs even squirrels. I guess that is what Newark will do to you. Stop making this town a masoluem with all their ugly concrete and stop knocking down houses . PROUD TO BE A AMERICAN TRY RAISING THE AMERICAN FLAG.

Guest Guest

So maybe try again.

so again, who's setting up the system that allows that?

I think you are wrong about that anyway.

It is fact!!!!!!  Go do some research.

checked with some Portuguese people, they check off white or Caucasion.

actually knoiw a Portuguese person that had to go to medical school in South America because he was considered white and couldn't get into schools in this country

Portuguese are considered white Europeon as are Spanish, Italian, Polish, German, Irish

and again, if the system allows you to check off non caucasion to save money, who wouldn't?

The system is screwed up..........like you

Guest Recent College Grad

I am an American of Portuguese descent, born in Belleville and living my entire life in Kearny. I'm also a recent college grad and know for a fact that I can not claim to be a "hispanic" on college applications or financial aid applications. My ancestry is white/caucasian European. My family all comes from Portugal - a country located in Europe just like France, Germany, England, Italy. As such, I could not claim that my ancestry originated in South or Central America and as thus, can not claim hispanic origin.

The overwhelming majority of Portuguese-Americans living in Kearny have worked very hard to ensure a stable, solid household while at the same time, improving the conditions of their environment/town. They do not "milk" the system. A few members of the older generations do semi-retire back to Portugal. However, the pensions that they take with them - they've earned through their hardwork, blood, sweat and tears. Their pensions are not entitlements. They've worked a lifetime for it. In addition, because their families are left here - they many times - spend part of their retirement in two locations - helping out the economy even more than those who remain in the same place at all times.

As a child growing up in Kearny, I was too often called a "porkchop" - a term that to this day still upsets me. However, it was not until I went away to college that I realized not only how oppressive but how ignorant these individuals who insist on calling other nationalities names are. I've come to realize that these individuals are just jealous of the accomplishments of smaller ethnic groups. Pathetic and then we wonder why there's war in the world...

Peace...pax...paz...

Guest Guest
I am an American of Portuguese descent, born in Belleville and living my entire life in Kearny. I'm also a recent college grad and know for a fact that I can not claim to be a "hispanic" on college applications or financial aid applications. My ancestry is white/caucasian European. My family all comes from Portugal - a country located in Europe just like France, Germany, England, Italy. As such, I could not claim that my ancestry originated in South or Central America and as thus, can not claim hispanic origin.

The overwhelming majority of Portuguese-Americans living in Kearny have worked very hard to ensure a stable, solid household while at the same time, improving the conditions of their environment/town. They do not "milk" the system. A few members of the older generations do semi-retire back to Portugal. However, the pensions that they take with them - they've earned through their hardwork, blood, sweat and tears. Their pensions are not entitlements. They've worked a lifetime for it. In addition, because their families are left here - they many times - spend part of their retirement in two locations - helping out the economy even more than those who remain in the same place at all times.

As a child growing up in Kearny, I was too often called a "porkchop" - a term that to this day still upsets me. However, it was not until I went away to college that I realized not only how oppressive but how ignorant these individuals who insist on calling other nationalities names are. I've come to realize that these individuals are just jealous of the accomplishments of smaller ethnic groups. Pathetic and then we wonder why there's war in the world...

Peace...pax...paz...

Beautifully said. Like I said, Portuguese are white-European as are Spain Spanish, just like English, Irish, German, Italian and Polish. Now let's move on

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TIRED OF IT

I have unfortunately had to survive the "invasion" of Kearny by the Portuguese. I find them to be arrogant, un-neighborly and yes they think nothing of paving over every square inch of land with concrete, put up six foot fences so they don't have to mingle with the natives, and keep only to themselves. If Portugal is such a great country as they are constantly reminding us why are so many of them here? WE DON'T NEED YOU, GO HOME!!!! :rolleyes:

I have unfortunately had to survive the "invasion" of Kearny by the Portuguese.  I find them to be arrogant, un-neighborly and yes they think nothing of paving over every square inch of land with concrete, put up six foot fences so they don't have to mingle with the natives, and keep only to themselves.  If Portugal is such a great country as they are constantly reminding us why are so many of them here?  WE DON'T NEED YOU, GO HOME!!!! :rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol: this is funny! they say the same thing to "me"down here! must be a jersey thing! :lol::lol:

Guest Guest
I have unfortunately had to survive the "invasion" of Kearny by the Portuguese.  I find them to be arrogant, un-neighborly and yes they think nothing of paving over every square inch of land with concrete, put up six foot fences so they don't have to mingle with the natives, and keep only to themselves.  If Portugal is such a great country as they are constantly reminding us why are so many of them here?  WE DON'T NEED YOU, GO HOME!!!! ;)

Actually, the Portuguese probably saved Kearny, or at least gave it some more good years. I grew up in the Hoyt St. area of Kearny and when I left and Portuguese came in the neighborhood improved from an aesthetic point of view and property values went up. There are non-Portuguese Americans that don't pave over their property and grow the grass and weeds long and keep an old car in their yard. I'll take the Portuguese over that anyday. Why are they here? Did you ask that of your Irish or German or Italian or Polish parents and grandparents? Why are you here? Because your ancestors wanted to live a better life. Unless you're American Indian.

Guest Recent College Grad

If you are so "tired" of Portuguese-Americans - then blame "your kin" that sold them the homes. If homes were not for sale, Portuguese-Americans would not buy them and would not "invade" Kearny.

Also, if they are so unfriendly and "unneighborly" - how do you know what they are saying???? Do you eaves drop on their conversations? Do you spy into their lives? You, sir or madam, must lead a pathetic existence then - if your sole source of entertainment is eaves dropping or spying on your neighbor. Hey - who knows - you may even be a 'peeping tom" - maybe there should be an alert posted in the Luso-Americano newspaper - you know because Portuguese people will only read the Luso - and warning Portuguese-American residents of Kearny to beware - especially if they live next to a disgruntled "American".

ALSO, Kearny is their HOME...most of them are citizens...so in essence - you are telling them to go ahead and STAY in Kearny.

Peace, pax, paz.....

Guest Tired

If the Portugese really want to be accepted, maybe they should try to assimilate a little. Watch your soccer matches, fine, but once in a while go to an American bar and watch a Football Game. Take down the six foot fences, sell the rotweilers and dobermans, and talk across the fence to your neighbor. Do business with others outside the Portuguese Community. I hate seeing those trucks with the "Portugal in America" signs on the side. Drink a glass of beer instead of Vino. Fold up the Portugese flag and proudly display the Stars and Stripes. Hang out at Donegans one weekend instead of Tormelinos. Get the drift here dude. Unless you really think Portugal is so much better than America, in which case I say again, go back to Portugal.

Guest Portuguese American 2
If the Portugese really want to be accepted, maybe they should try to assimilate a little.  Watch your soccer matches, fine, but once in a while go to an American bar and watch a Football Game.  Take down the six foot fences, sell the rotweilers and dobermans, and talk across the fence to your neighbor.  Do business with others outside the Portuguese Community.  I hate seeing those trucks with the "Portugal in America" signs on the side.  Drink a glass of beer instead of Vino.  Fold up the Portugese flag and proudly display the Stars and Stripes.  Hang out at Donegans one weekend instead of Tormelinos.  Get the drift here dude.  Unless you really think Portugal is so much better than America, in which case I say again, go back to Portugal.

Assimilate with the likes of you? Nao obrigado!