Jazz concert

Guest KHS

Guest Guest
You sound so musically ignorant. It was a jazz concert correct? Jazz musicians play their own music all the time when they improvise, a very difficult skill. If there were musicians soloing during the concert, they were improvising and playing their own music. Stick with what you know!

Also, being a musician, a good musician is about how well you play your instrument, not that you play your own music or it sells. There are loads of bad musicians making a living playing their own music.

Members of the NY Philharmonic are the best classical musicians in the world and they play other peoples music. Pavarotti sings other peoples music. Musicianship and selling a lot of records don't necessarily go hand in hand.

What DO you know about? Talk about that!

Do you people actually read the posts or are you just not capable of following them?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest
Then I wasn't referring to your post and I'll stop waiting for the person that did comment because they have nothing to say obviously.

The wedding band is a job, just a job that I can do that pays better that a lot of jobs. I'm sure plumbers and electricians don't do their jobs for any artistic reward or fun. I prefer playing the piano.

I have no interest in doing my own music. I have no music. I am not a composer, I am a musician. I enjoy playing classical music for fun and have no interest in composing. There is more out there than I'll ever need written by Bach, Beethoven and Mozart among many others.

So why do you go to all the plays and concerts?

Why were you at this concert?

Run of the mill musicians huh? You're expertise in this area would be………………?

So you're a musician that would rather play weddings than make the same money or more, if you could, playing in an orchestra or recording classical music.

That's a new one.

Guest Guest
You sound so musically ignorant. It was a jazz concert correct? Jazz musicians play their own music all the time when they improvise, a very difficult skill. If there were musicians soloing during the concert, they were improvising and playing their own music. Stick with what you know!

Also, being a musician, a good musician is about how well you play your instrument, not that you play your own music or it sells. There are loads of bad musicians making a living playing their own music.

Members of the NY Philharmonic are the best classical musicians in the world and they play other peoples music. Pavarotti sings other peoples music. Musicianship and selling a lot of records don't necessarily go hand in hand.

What DO you know about? Talk about that!

Really!! I didn't know that. Thanks for the education!

Guest Guest
So you're a musician that would rather play weddings than make the same money or more, if you could, playing in an orchestra or recording classical music.

That's a new one.

It's not new at all. It's the real world. To be a classical pianist you need to start playing piano by age 5. You need to study privately and practice 6 to 8 hours a day your whole life and then maybe, if your lucky and talented enough you can make a decent living at it. In other words, there is little work out there for a classical soloist on piano. (By the way, the orchestra does not have a piano in it. When you see one in front of the orchestra, he or she is a featured soloist.) I started way too late, couldn't afford private lessons with great teachers and did not have it in me to practice that long. I am making about as much money as possible doing something I enjoy. I play the other stuff for fun and some extra money, not that I need it. The thing that I can't play, but wish I could like the musicians at the KHS jazz concert, is jazz. I can read the music when it is written piano music but I don't have the right feel. I also don't read 'changes' well and cannot improvise like those guys, and one girl, did that night. I wish I could! There is a reason why Bill Evans was a classical player 'till he discovered jazz. There were some great solos that night at KHS. 'Run of the mill' players cannot play like that. I.....cannot play like that even though I play very well, and make a boat load of money doing it.

You don't seem to know about this stuff so please!!!!!

How about sports? You following the world cup?

Guest Guest
It's not new at all. It's the real world. To be a classical pianist you need to start playing piano by age 5. You need to study privately and practice 6 to 8 hours a day your whole life and then maybe, if your lucky and talented enough you can make a decent living at it. In other words, there is little work out there for a classical soloist on piano. (By the way, the orchestra does not have a piano in it. When you see one in front of the orchestra, he or she is a featured soloist.) I started way too late, couldn't afford private lessons with great teachers and did not have it in me to practice that long. I am making about as much money as possible doing something I enjoy. I play the other stuff for fun and some extra money, not that I need it. The thing that I can't play, but wish I could like the musicians at the KHS jazz concert, is jazz. I can read the music when it is written piano music but I don't have the right feel. I also don't read 'changes' well and cannot improvise like those guys, and one girl, did that night. I wish I could! There is a reason why Bill Evans was a classical player 'till he discovered jazz. There were some great solos that night at KHS. 'Run of the mill' players cannot play like that. I.....cannot play like that even though I play very well, and make a boat load of money doing it.

The one thing I do know is that you are in denial.

Guest Rich C
Would love to know more about the history of the jazz band in KHS. In '72-'73 the band was great with Rob Risden leading it. It went down a bit then till Frank Digesere, Jim DiGuglielmo and Jim Soldo got involved. Yes, very uniquely American art form! Not a lot of people know that!

khsmd

We had a great jazz band in 19977 - 1978....Thanks to Frank Digesere who just started at the High Schoolin '77. We went to a jazz competition at Berklee School of Music in Boston in 1978.

It was a blast.

Guest Guest
We had a great jazz band in 19977 - 1978....Thanks to Frank Digesere who just started at the High Schoolin '77. We went to a jazz competition at Berklee School of Music in Boston in 1978.

It was a blast.

Had a good one in '72-'73 under Rob Risden.

Guest Guest

World Cup?

You mean following a sport filled with divers and whiners, arbitrary offsides and time rules, and then deciding a championship final with a shoot out.

Nah, it hasn't quite won me over.