Deputy Chief Reduction

Guest Concerned Citizen

Much overtime could be eliminated is there was  "minimum manning" per shift

that was  3 men (for example) under a full shift, which means 3 men could be off on vacation or

sick time before overtime kicked in (a 4th man off would be replaced on O.T.)

I'll admit that I don't know if Kearny is utilizing a mininum manning policy, but

if they are replacing every man off on vacation or sick time with an O.T. man

then they're spending a ton of money on overtime.

78697[/snapback]

the pd is running at a min already...and now its going to be lower because they can't hire before hte other people retire...did u know at night there are only 3 police cars patroling in the town of kearny?...if you include the car in south kearny..thats four..but 3...only 3 to do the whole town ..and thats now...how much minimum do u think they can go...maybe the mayor and council would want 2 cars patrolling the entire town....thats what the mayor and town council wont tell the public...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a question......What would be the problem with eliminating all the

Deputy Chiefs (through retirement)?  I'm sure a captain could do the job of a

D.C.  Then you'd be seeing a real tax saving of about $500,000. Then,

whenever a captain is on vacation or sick, the on-duty Lt. would fill in without

having to pay overtime. (another big savings). With the money saved, more

cops on the streets could be maintained (where we need them).

79033[/snapback]

Must be a fireman, to ask such a silly question!

Just a question......What would be the problem with eliminating all the

Deputy Chiefs (through retirement)?  I'm sure a captain could do the job of a

D.C.  Then you'd be seeing a real tax saving of about $500,000. Then,

whenever a captain is on vacation or sick, the on-duty Lt. would fill in without

having to pay overtime. (another big savings). With the money saved, more

cops on the streets could be maintained (where we need them).

79033[/snapback]

There are some important questions that haven's been addressed, or if they have I haven't seen it:

1. What are the crime statistics in Kearny over the past few years? What are the trends in each of the categories of crimes? I'm not asking for a few selected numbers. I'm asking for all statistics in all categories, and not just arrests but also pleas and convictions.

2. Showing a photo of alleged gang members doesn't tell me enough. What does the chief say he needs, and how does that relate to the recent ordinance?

On the face of it, I'm concerned that the police chief and others in the department aren't happy. I'm also not happy if the mayor and council failed to communicate with the department about a proposed change that would affect the department. On the other hand, I can't tell how much of what surrounds this issue is a reflection of real needs, or whether some element of it might be related to an attempt by the PD to protect its turf. Can't tell. Would like more facts.

Must be a fireman, to ask such a silly question!

79087[/snapback]

yea because firemen want to see anybody in town start losing positions. once they do it to one department in town they will do it to another.

you just proved how moronic cops can be with your statement.

Guest Kearny Senior
How in the world did you come up with $500,000??  The M&C said it would save $46,000 . . . . . . eventually.

79070[/snapback]

While I don't know what a DC salary is, my guess would be $120,000, give or

take. That's $360,000 total salary for 3 DC's. Add 1/3 for benefits ($120,000)

and you get $480,000. How many cops can you put on the streets for $480,000.

If I were mayor I'd take a hard look at the DC position.

yea because firemen want to see anybody in town start losing positions. once they do it to one department in town they will do it to another.

you just proved how moronic cops can be with your statement.

79206[/snapback]

And YOU just proved how Mornonic you are by ASSuming that it was a cop who wrote that..with a VERY few exceptions the Kearny PD and FD get along pretty well...something no doubt that annoys the powers-that-be to no end.

Guest Double Check That
While I don't know what a DC salary is, my guess would be $120,000, give or

take. That's $360,000 total salary for 3 DC's. Add 1/3 for benefits ($120,000)

and you get $480,000. How many cops can you put on the streets for $480,000.

If I were mayor I'd take a hard look at the DC position.

79295[/snapback]

It's over $140,000 a year.

Guest Kearny Senior
It's over $140,000 a year.

79393[/snapback]

OK, if that's accurate, then you're over 420,000 in salary. Pension and benefits

equal about a third more so we're looking at close to $600,000. in savings to the

town by eliminating the DC position. You can probably put 10 cops on the street

for that.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Townsman
the pd is running shorthanded right now, there is TONS of overtime...it takes about 9 months to higher a new cop and get him on the street....the new cap makes it so , new guys can't be hired until someone retires (and is out the door, not approaching retirement)...so you can't even begin to hire a new replacement because you will be over the 82 patrolman cap...this means when 10 guys retire...Hello overtime...the D.C. spot they are getting rid of will also create a ton of overtime...D.C's dont get overtime no matter what they work....now, a captain will have to take the spot of the D.C. that they got rid of....guess what, captains get overtime, and at like 90 bucks an hour...you would think the town would care...this whole thing was political, it has nothing to do with saving the town money..anyone who thinks different is blind or doesn't know what they are talking about..

The police dept. has been in a fairy tale world for a LONG time. Given todays financial situation it is time to manage all depts. in town as they should be, that is, run like a business. The number one problem is the salaries being paid at all these depts. are huge and the Town cannot afford to pay these. As for the deputy chief position, this is just one of many that can be eliminated throughout the town. Now, as for responding to the above quote, when the DC position is gone the duties of the now vacant position are now delegated to the remaining (2) DC's, thus there is no "dominoe" effect of overtime for capt's going to DC, Lt's to capt, etc. Like any other business the existing DC's increase their workload.