VOTE NO TO GAULTONS SWEET DEAL

Guest ANGRY TAXPAYER

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest
Now it's time to "just say no" at the Council meetings.

Public school teachers do not have disability insurance unless they pay for it privately. That is the reason for the accumulation of sick time. Yes, 12 sick days per year is sufficient, unless you happen to give birth or have a serious illness. Then you have to rely on your sick time. Why pay at retirement for unused sick time? Because the cost in money and education to the school district would be more if every teacher used his or her 12 sick/3personal days each year without promise of payment at retirement. A substitute (mostly a babysitter) is paid (I think) around $80 a day to cover a class and rarely is any teaching accomplished on this day. Soooo, 500 teachers times 15 sick/personal days comes to $600,000 per year and that doesn't reflect the loss of learning during that time.

AND I do agree that Les' deal is DISGRACEFUL! but please don't put every BOE employee in the same greedy pile.

Guest Guest
Public school teachers do not have disability insurance unless they pay for it privately.  That is the reason for the accumulation of sick time.  Yes, 12 sick days per year is sufficient, unless you happen to give birth or have a serious illness.  Then you have to rely on your sick time.  Why pay at retirement for unused sick time?  Because the cost in money and education to the school district would be more if every teacher used his or her 12 sick/3personal days each year without promise of payment at retirement.  A substitute (mostly a babysitter) is paid (I think) around $80 a day to cover a class and rarely is any teaching accomplished  on this day. Soooo, 500 teachers times 15 sick/personal days comes to $600,000 per year and that doesn't reflect the loss of learning during that time.

AND I do agree that Les' deal is DISGRACEFUL! but please don't put every BOE employee in the same greedy pile.

Stop trying to justify this insanity. It's a sweet deal no matter how you look at it. And why shouldn't we lump all of the BOE members together? They've all allowed this to happen. All except the two newer members. Had the other clowns still been on the BOE, they would've given Les even more. Remeber, they tried to tell us that stealing at Disney World was really no big deal.

Public school teachers do not have disability insurance unless they pay for it privately.  That is the reason for the accumulation of sick time.  Yes, 12 sick days per year is sufficient, unless you happen to give birth or have a serious illness.  Then you have to rely on your sick time.  Why pay at retirement for unused sick time?  Because the cost in money and education to the school district would be more if every teacher used his or her 12 sick/3personal days each year without promise of payment at retirement.  A substitute (mostly a babysitter) is paid (I think) around $80 a day to cover a class and rarely is any teaching accomplished  on this day. Soooo, 500 teachers times 15 sick/personal days comes to $600,000 per year and that doesn't reflect the loss of learning during that time.

In 1995 if a teacher with 250 unused sick days retired, that teacher would receive a check for $10,000 (250 days @ $40 a day).

In 1996 that same teacher would receive about $70,000 (one years salary of about $65,000 for days 1-200, plus $5,000 for days 201-250).

I don't think anyone disagrees with the argument that unused sick days should be compensated for. Unused sick days do save the district money, as you've explained. It's the amount being paid that I have a problem with - along with giving it to certain individuals that don't qualify.

Do you have any idea how much money is now being spent annually to district employees for not working? Sorry, but that money belongs in the classroom.

Jim Mangin

Guest guest

How about health benefits. You have to be employed by the BOE for at least 25 years to receive them when you retire. Wanna bet he's getting health benefits too??!!

Guest Guest

Please don't mislead the public. Where does that $70,000 figure come from. There are many teachers in our district making under $35,000. You make it sound like they are all making $70,000.

Guest Guest
Please don't mislead the public. Where does that $70,000 figure come from. There are many teachers in our district making under $35,000. You make it sound like they are all making $70,000.

But by the time they accumulate those sick days and retire they are making in the 60,000-70,000 range.

Didn't think that was so difficult to figure out.

Guest Guest

Isn't $35,000 the starting salary now?

Guest Guest
In 1995 if a teacher with 250 unused sick days retired, that teacher would receive a check for $10,000 (250 days @ $40 a day).

In 1996 that same teacher would receive about $70,000 (one years salary of about $65,000 for days 1-200, plus $5,000 for days 201-250).

I don't think anyone disagrees with the argument that unused sick days should be compensated for. Unused sick days do save the district money, as you've explained. It's the amount being paid that I have a problem with - along with giving it to certain individuals that don't qualify.

Do you have any idea how much money is now being spent annually to district employees for not working? Sorry, but that money belongs in the classroom.

Jim Mangin

I don't think there should be compensation use it or lose it. There is no business sense we are talking about working for a living. This guy is an administrator its time we get rid of all this crap along with the teachers Union. JUST SAY NO!

Guest Guest
But by the time they accumulate those sick days and retire they are making in the 60,000-70,000 range.

Oh, you mean after working a lifetime they are making that much! I'll make more than that by the time I retire & I didn't invest 4 or more years of my life going to college.

Guest Guest

Oh, you mean after working a lifetime they are making that much! I'll make more than that by the time I retire & I didn't invest 4 or more years of my life going to college.

Guest Guest
Oh, you mean after working a lifetime they are making that much!  I'll make more than that by the time I retire & I didn't invest 4 or more years of my life going to college.

I can tell you didn'tgo to college by your duplicate posts. Ass! <_<

Guest Guest

I'm sure all you people complaining were at the Town Hall meeting Friday 6:00 PM

to hear how Santos and his crew were going to save you money with his bought & paid for new BOE. I hear the crowed was so big they were thinking of moving the meeting to a larger location. Why worry about taxes your Uncle Al is on the job. Just sit at home & complain on the web.

Guest guesterio
I'm sure all you people complaining were at the Town Hall meeting Friday 6:00 PM

to hear how Santos and his crew were going to save you money with his bought & paid for new BOE. I hear the crowed was so big they were thinking of moving the meeting to a larger location. Why worry about taxes your Uncle Al is on the job. Just sit at home & complain on the web.

Well when you want to give residents a chance to come to a meeting and be heard, of course you hold the meeting at 6 o'clock....on a Friday....

Guest Think before you speak

Who on the board was bought and paid for? You better have your facts straight before you get hit with a law suit. I know that 2 new board members were not bought by anyone. They may have been supported by the mayor, but they are 2 individuals with their own thoughts and ideas.

Guest Guest
Who on the board was bought and paid for?  You better have your facts straight before you get hit with a law suit.  I know that 2 new board members were not bought by anyone.  They may have been supported by the mayor, but they are 2 individuals with their own thoughts and ideas.

And as for you. you stupid hack typical threat I'll take you to court. Do it jackass we will pull all the records for the election and see who's checks were cashed the election account don't even go there. Now toddle off and have a nice chat with Al.

Guest Guest
And as for you. you stupid hack typical threat I'll take you to court. Do it jackass we will pull all the records for the election and see who's checks were cashed the election account don't even go there. Now toddle off and have a nice chat with Al.

u gotta admit. al's got the best boe money can buy.

Archived