New Plus

Guest Guest

Hey, what menu were you looking at.  Hamburgao at 282 Kearny Avenue is the best.  Their menu is in English and Portuguese.  What were you looking at?  Hamburgao (Portuguese for hamburger) is great.  You must be a competitor.  The place is one of highlights of Kearny Avenue.  Great food at reasonable prices and a bright and cheerful atmosphere.  They have traditional hamburgers done with a flare of Brazilian spice.  Try the California Beef #4 on the menu its Bread, steak, mozzarella, ham, lettuce, tomatoes, mayo and pineapple.  (I copied that off their menu... in English I must say) Their burgers are huge and come in a little plastic bag holder so your hands don't get dirty.

If you want something more "healthy" try the Healthy Sandwiches... #1 Whole wheat bread, chicken, ricotta cheese and carrot. There are other variations.

I highly recommend Hamburgao.  They also deliver which is great!

Their coffees are excellent as well. Cappucino, Expresso and Regular "American" coffee.

My wife and I go their at least once a week.  They also have croquets and pastries stuffed with all sorts of stuff including shrimp, ground meat, chicken, ham, bacon, and sausage.

We need more Hamburgaos in Kearny.  The place is packed and for good reason: The atmosphere and food are great.

My wife and I have eaten at Hamburgao twice now. The first time we ate there was after a zoning board hearing. The menu we had was written in English. Thanks for letting me know the place is Portuguese the food is great and w plan on going there again

My wife and I have eaten at Hamburgao twice now. The first time we ate there was after a zoning board hearing. The menu we had was written in English. Thanks for letting me know the place is Portuguese the food is great and w plan on going there again

I GUESS AFTER NUMEROUS COMPLAINTS, AND THE THOUGHT OF BEING SUED THEY CHANGED THEIR MENUS, BUT I TOO FREQUENTED THE PLACE AND WAS GIVEN A MENU THAT WAS NOT IN ENGLISH. SO FOR ANY "ENGLISH SPEAKING AMERICANS" I WOULDN'T PATRONIZE AN ESTABLISHMENT IF THE LANGUAGE OF CHOICE WASN'T IN ENGLISH. THEY COME HERE TO OUR COUNTRY TO MAKE OUR MONEY, THEY SHOULD ADAPT TO OUR LAWS AND LANGUAGE. WHY CAN'T KEARNY ADOPT, (AS OTHER TOWNS IN NJ HAVE) THAT ENGLISH BE THE #1 LANGUAGE?????????????//

100% wrong. For the safety of emergency responders many towns in NJ and other states require, by ordinance, that business signage must be in English. If the business also wants to use a language of its choice in addition to English it may.

OH REALLY?????????? TAKE A WALK UP THE AVE AND SEE HOW MANY "SPANISH" FOOD ESTABLISHMENTS "DON'T" HAVE SIGNS IN ENGLISH..... MOST OF WHICH ARE EITHER PERUVIAN OR BRAZILAN. HOW COME THEY HAVEN'T CRACKED DOWN ON THEM? DID YOU EVER GO INTO WENDYS IN HARRISON AND SEE ALL THE SIGNS IN SPANISH? AND THE FOUNDER OF WENDYS IS AMERICAN. OUR COUNTRY NEEDS TO ENFORCE THE LAWS OF THE LAND. THIS IS AMERICA AND OUR LANGUAGE IS ENGLISH.

THIS IS AMERICA AND OUR LANGUAGE IS ENGLISH.

America doesn't have an official language. America is a melting pot of many cultures and will never have an official language. It's simple : If you don't like that a business has their sign in another language, then don't go to their business.

OH REALLY?????????? TAKE A WALK UP THE AVE AND SEE HOW MANY "SPANISH" FOOD ESTABLISHMENTS "DON'T" HAVE SIGNS IN ENGLISH..... MOST OF WHICH ARE EITHER PERUVIAN OR BRAZILAN.  HOW COME THEY HAVEN'T CRACKED DOWN ON THEM?  DID YOU EVER GO INTO WENDYS IN HARRISON AND SEE ALL THE SIGNS IN SPANISH?  AND THE FOUNDER OF WENDYS IS AMERICAN.  OUR COUNTRY NEEDS TO ENFORCE THE LAWS OF THE LAND.  THIS IS AMERICA AND OUR LANGUAGE IS ENGLISH.

Let's see if I can do this in order.

1. There are no Spanish signs in a Brazilian eatery. They would be in Portuguese.

2. Perhaps they haven't "cracked down on them" because Kearny doesn't have such an ordinance.

3. No, I've never been in the Harrison Wendys.

4. What "laws of the land" are you refering to? Please explain that one.

5. There is no official language in the Unites States, therefore people are allowed to speak any language they choose.

I honestly do not care if you believe me or not. However, if you reread my post you will note that I never said Kearny has such an ordinance. Perhaps you should take in one of the Town Council meetings and bring the matter to the attention of the governing body.

Oh, and tell them all I said hello. :P

OMG and do you guys know what else? In high schools and universities they have the nerve to actually REQUIRE students to take foreign language classes! CAN YOU BELIEVE THE HERESY! THEY ARE IN OUR SCHOOLS, FORCING OUR CHILDREN TO LEARN THEIR LANGUAGES! AND NOW THEY TEACH SPANISH ON SESAME STREET!!@!@#!@!@!!11one WE ARE DOOMED!

Haha, just kidding. You people are funny.

Let's see if I can do this in order.

1. There are no Spanish signs in a Brazilian eatery. They would be in Portuguese.

2. Perhaps they haven't "cracked down on them" because Kearny doesn't have such      an ordinance.

3. No, I've never been in the Harrison Wendys.

4. What "laws of the land" are you refering to? Please explain that one.

5. There is no official language in the Unites States, therefore people are allowed to      speak any language they choose.

I honestly do not care if you believe me or not. However, if you reread my post you will note that I never said Kearny has such an ordinance. Perhaps you should take in one of the Town Council meetings and bring the matter to the attention of the governing body.

Oh, and tell them all I said hello. B)

Let me correct myself... "Spanish signs", I meant to say "foriegn signs"...Portuguese, Brazilan, spanish... it's not English... That's my point.

Kearny should have an ordinance like alot of other towns in NJ

The laws of land indicate that this is our land... the land of the free and home of the brave... by which our fore fathers fought for and they don't have a clue why this land is free and the land of opportunities... what did these people fight for??? they just come here because it's the land of opportunity... But that should be for those who want to adapt to our customs, and language... My father came from Europe, and HAD to learn our language and laws before he earned the right to take advantage of the opportunities...

My point is that there should be an official language of the United States... why should we have to learn a foreign language when we have lived here all our lives????????????????and that's what it's coming too...

And last but not least, the Wendys in Harrison had their menus up all over the place in "Spanish".... I and a few others that are of American heritage wrote the National Headquarters of Wendys and complained that their establishments were "catering" to the immigrants that come here and refuse to learn to understand, read, or write our language.... so if they go to a "Wendys" per se, they should be able to read the menu in English if they wanted to patronize this place... Guess who won??????????? We did, the signs in Spanish were taken down, and now they are in English.... Hurray for WENDYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I believe all Americans are created equal.... and if you come to this country and want to be treated as such, then learn the laws of our LAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me correct myself...  "Spanish signs", I meant to say "foriegn signs"...Portuguese, Brazilan, spanish... it's not English... That's my point.

Kearny should have an ordinance like alot of other towns in NJ

The laws of land indicate that this is our land... the land of the free and home of the brave... by which our fore fathers fought for and they don't have a clue why this land is free and the land of opportunities... what did these people fight for???  they just come here because it's the land of opportunity... But that should be for those who want to adapt to our customs, and language... My father came from Europe, and HAD to learn our language and laws before he earned the right to take advantage of the opportunities...

My point is that there should be an official language of the United States... why should we have to learn a foreign language when we have lived here all our lives????????????????and that's what it's coming too...

And last but not least, the Wendys in Harrison had their menus up all over the place in "Spanish".... I and a few others that are of American heritage wrote the National Headquarters of Wendys and complained that their establishments were "catering" to the immigrants that come here and refuse to learn to understand, read, or write our language.... so if they go to a "Wendys" per se, they should be able to read the menu in English if they wanted to patronize this place... Guess who won??????????? We did, the signs in Spanish were taken down, and now they are in English.... Hurray for WENDYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.  I believe all Americans are created equal.... and if you come to this country and want to be treated as such, then learn the laws of our LAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My sentiments exactly

Guest Jaoquim
Speaking "Brazilian"! What an ass you are! :lol:

Now one of the people who supports them for not encouraging their people to learn English chastizes you for not knowing that the language of Brazil is Portuguese. I bet if you made a permanent move to Brazil you'd know the Portuguese language.

• 7 months later...
Guest non of ur business

first of all the menu is protugues and english, because it is a portugues restaraunt duh. and this is america home of english as the second language remember history class, people from different countries discovered america and people travleld here from them and that why we have so many different cultures that make america what it is today, stop being so racist u idiots. your not 100% american u know that right ? you came from family decendants from other countries who speak other languages duh... what a bunch of retarts .

first of all the menu is protugues and english, because it is a portugues restaraunt duh.  and this is america home of english as the second language remember history class, people from different countries discovered america and people travleld here from them and that why we have so many different cultures that make america what it is today, stop being so racist u idiots.  your not 100% american u know that right ?  you came from family decendants from other countries who speak other languages duh... what a bunch of retarts .

YES THIS IS AMERICA.. AND NO!!!!! ITS NOT HOME OF "ENGLISH AS THE SECOND LANGUAGE"... WHEN THE EARLY SETTLERS CAME HERE FROM OTHER COUNTRIES, THEY WERE REQUIRED TO LEARN "ENGLISH", AND ENGLISH WAS ALWAYS THE 1ST LANGUAGE THEY SPOKE TO ADAPT TO THIS NEW LAND. THE IMMIGRANTS OF TODAY JUST EXPECT US TO ADAPT TO THEIR WAYS AND LANGUAGE, AND THAT IS NOT RIGHT. 30 YEARS AGO THERE WAS NO SUCH THING AS "ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE", ENGLISH WAS AND SHOULD ALWAYS BE THE FIRST LANGUAGE IN THE UNITED STATES OF "AMERICA"

I thought it was just me...  my husband and I were walking on Kearny Ave. one evening last spring, and decided to try a sandwich at that new "Hamburgoa" since we do occasionally try to sample foods of different nationalities, and were totally turned off to the fact that the menus were all in I guess their native lanquage, Brazilian I think.  Well they too had several publications for sale, and we thought while having our sandwiches on the nicely set up tables outside, we could buy the newspaper and look through it... Well they only had "SPANISH" publications. My husband said something to the owner, and he rudely told us if we didn't like it don't come back, this was his business and he would have his menus in what language he desired, and would only have publications that his "CUSTOMERS" would buy and read... We said "well what do you think we are"????  Needless to say, we left our half eaten sandwiches, paid what we owed, and left.  I have to honestly say we will never again frequent his or any other business in this area that cater to only people of immigrant status...  THIS IS AMERICA, AND THERE SHOULD BE LAWS that allow anyone to own a business, but are required to run so that we AMERICANS feel comfortable in our own COUNTRY.  They have to face facts, without our government offering them loans, and making AMERICAN money, they wouldn't have what they have.... Come on we all have to write our politicians, and take back our country....  I can see in another 20 or so years, we will be required to learn the Spanish language or we will be breaking the law....

wow i was looking for a hamburgao menu and happily landed on the land of bigots. I happen to be one of those Spanish speaking people that live in the area that most of you so eagerly speak of, however, aside from Spanish i also speak English, Portuguese(Brazilian to the smart bunch here) French and Italian. Even though i do agree that if you go to a country you should learn to speak the language of such country i do not agree with some of the writings posted here. First of i assume since you said "take back our country" that you are a native American, since as educated as you sound i assume you know the simple fact that aside from them everyone else that lives in this country IS an IMMIGRANT since you or your ancestors had to MIGRATE here. As far as the person that made a statement on uumm "white CITIZEN", i don't know why you also did not emphasize the WHITE part, if you're going to go for the racist statement might as well make it worth while and fully go for it, i am a citizen, although i guess not considered white since my first language was not English?, however, i am from Spain which is a European country and to many if you're from Europe you're considered white, but it all depends to what HUMAN you're speaking to at that time and how tolerant they may be, in any case I'm not sure what government you're speaking off that throws money at "these people" i would love to get the address to such government and ask them how come they are not throwing money at me, since i would love to open a Spanish store with all "Brazilian" magazines.

“Your greatness is measured by your kindness; your education and intellect by your modesty; your ignorance is betrayed by your suspicions and prejudices, and your real caliber is measured by the consideration and tolerance you have for others.”

-William J. H. Boetcker-

• 3 weeks later...
wow i was looking for a hamburgao menu and happily landed on the land of bigots. I happen to be one of those Spanish speaking people that live in the area that most of you so eagerly speak of, however, aside from Spanish i also speak English, Portuguese(Brazilian to the smart bunch here) French and Italian. Even though i do agree that if you go to a country you should learn to speak the language of such country i do not agree with some of the writings posted here. First of i assume since you said "take back our country" that you are a native American, since as educated as you sound i assume you know the simple fact that aside from them everyone else that lives in this country IS an IMMIGRANT since you or your ancestors had to MIGRATE here. As far as the person that made a statement on uumm "white CITIZEN", i don't know why you also did not emphasize the WHITE part, if you're going to go for the racist statement might as well make it worth while and fully go for it, i am a citizen, although i guess not considered white since my first language was not English?, however, i am from Spain which is a European country and to many if you're from Europe you're considered white, but it all depends to what HUMAN you're speaking to at that time and how tolerant they may be, in any case I'm not sure what government you're speaking off that throws money at "these people" i would love to get the address to such government and ask them how come they are not throwing money at me, since i would love to open a Spanish store with all "Brazilian" magazines.

“Your greatness is measured by your kindness; your education and intellect by your modesty; your ignorance is betrayed by your suspicions and prejudices, and your real caliber is measured by the consideration and tolerance you have for others.”

-William J. H. Boetcker-

66454[/snapback]

F**K YOU RON MEXICO

• 2 months later...
I think you missed the joke.

There is no such language as Brazilian. Brazilians speak Portuguese.

In fact, it's quite a good comparison to compare Brazilian Portuguese to American English--both basically the same language, but with a few minor changes here and there that developed in the 'second' country over time to make it sound just a bit different.

40424[/snapback]

seems you are smart enough to know that much about the simullarety of the language why not try to get to know the people???? yea, the can be snippy at times but they will normally give you the shirt off there backs,they keep your property values up ,maintain there property,and oh yes use there hose to wash off there side walks... if you go to other small town you will find that if you are in a polish area there will be polish papers,indian area indian papers, jewish area jewish papers,kearny was at one time scotish,irish,polish, these people are moving to other areas leaving it open to new and exciting changes..when in rome do as the romans p.s when it comes to food i can learn to speak the lingo quickly,,,,,,,,,, :)

We have alot of the same problems here in Missouri. I don't have any problems with immigrants but I do have a BIG problem with illegal immigrants. I know first hand because my wife works in the food industry and illegals are rampant and many have forged papers. Meanwhile back at the ranch, the majority of them put absolutley nothing back into our community via property taxes etc. However they have no problem taking. We the taxpayers have to build school annexes and hire bilingual teachers. While they send all thier money back home to go life like a king when they go home in 5 or 10 years. They constantly go into stores and want to talk down the price of items then they want to balk on paying sales taxes. Many try to arrange "back door" cash sales to avoid sales taxes. Now the newspaper is putting completely spanish help wanted ads in the paper that most of us can't read.

Mexican roofers have swarmed the area and pretty much succeeded in putting local roofing contractors, mulit-generational family owned businesses out of business. One more thing, although it may be cultural, they will literally live twenty to a house , most of whom are working so they live fairly cheap. Instead of investing locally they send it all back home. Which next to tourism is the second leading economic boon to Mexico.They have no problem taking advantage of every social service availalable, food stamps, medicaid, housing and utility subsidies. Then, they dont' even try to learn english. Many understand plenty of english but only choose to speak it if it rves hier purpose. Many times at work when given assignments they don't like , suddenly they don't understand english anymore. Another pleasure that we have enjoyed in the last 5 years in our quiet little town something we've never had before...Gangs! My wife's ex is a cop and he sees the impact everyday, domestic violence etc. I have many friends who immigated here legally from various other countries and jumped through many hoops to do it. They played by the rules, pay thier way and help with the local tax base. They are pissed too. I could present many more examples of being taken advantage of but I'll refrain for now. One more thing my brother in law, who has been a carpenter for 30 yrs has lost his job because his company can't compete with the "Gypsies" anymore.

Keep in mind before slamming me with your response that I am talking about Illegal immigrants. If that makes me a racist as I'm sure some will call me, then so be it!

40343[/snapback]

i agree

let it be known all are welcome in this country just do it like old school immigrants did and do it legallyl :)

Archived