KHS football program

Guest Guest

It,s a real shame the way the football program is ran in this town and at the high school level.The kids who arent the best atheletes or whose parents dont know anybody who coaches or make contributions dont get a chance to play.But yet these are the kids who are at every practice busting their asses every day, for wh at.Maybe to get in the final minute of play when KHS is losing 30-0. I heard many kids quit for that reason. Is that true? Is it also true that they had to move the freshmen game to Thursday so they can dress up for the varsity game.Maybe its time for a coaching change. I see that Queen of Peace just let go a pretty good coach. Also I would like to Congradulate the freshmen football team which had a record of 6-3.A job well done by the players and coaches.You should be proud of your selves. Bask in the glory of a fine season for now, because the future dont look bright with the way things are going

It,s a real shame the way the football program is ran in this town and at the high school level.The kids who arent the best atheletes or whose parents dont know anybody who coaches or make contributions dont get a chance to play.But yet these are the kids who are at every practice busting their asses every day, for wh at.Maybe to get in the final minute of play when KHS is losing 30-0.    I heard many kids quit for that reason. Is that true? Is it also true that they had to move the freshmen game to Thursday so they can dress up for the varsity game.Maybe its time for a coaching change. I see that Queen of Peace just let go a pretty good coach. Also I would like to Congradulate the freshmen football team which had a record of 6-3.A job well done by the players and coaches.You should be proud of your selves. Bask in the glory of a fine season for now, because the future dont look bright with the way things are going

72571[/snapback]

There was a lot of promise for this team this year. The support that comes from the Administration and well as the coaching staff did not appear to be here this year. The parents of the players along with a certain coach who is not on the payroll tried desperately to get them out of the Watchung Conference but again it fell on deft ears of the Athletic Director. It appears that the AD doesn’t want to move from this conference because it is much weaker in soccer and easier prey for Kearny. But it seriously impacts the level of the football team and these Kearny athletes cannot compete at that level. I have attended every home game and my heart does go out to each of those Kearny athletes who do their very best to compete. It is also depressing that the school administration doesn’t do anything to get more students in the stands. Kearny has one of the best stadiums in the area for a Friday night game to see it only about 20% filled is an embarrassment. Even that might be a generous number. Too many people and students have put too much into this to make it fail. Something needs to be done, but it appears it is definitely not going to happen this year.

Guest freshman parent
It,s a real shame the way the football program is ran in this town and at the high school level.The kids who arent the best atheletes or whose parents dont know anybody who coaches or make contributions dont get a chance to play.But yet these are the kids who are at every practice busting their asses every day, for wh at.Maybe to get in the final minute of play when KHS is losing 30-0.    I heard many kids quit for that reason. Is that true? Is it also true that they had to move the freshmen game to Thursday so they can dress up for the varsity game.Maybe its time for a coaching change. I see that Queen of Peace just let go a pretty good coach. Also I would like to Congradulate the freshmen football team which had a record of 6-3.A job well done by the players and coaches.You should be proud of your selves. Bask in the glory of a fine season for now, because the future dont look bright with the way things are going

72571[/snapback]

72571[/snapback]

Please say you didn't attend English classes in the Kearny School system!

Guest Stevie Nash

I really think you need to check your facts. Playing in the Watchung Conference had NOTHING to do with our record. If you look closely we only played 3 teams from the Watchung Conference. That's right only 3, in a "reduced" schedule. We played 4 Group 1 football teams this year, losing to the first 3 with 1 coming up this friday night. And we beat one of those teams for our only win! The Schedule is not the problem at all. There were also 50 kids to start the season, we are now down to 25. We have had only 1 season-ending injury that I am aware of off hand. The schedule is not that tough as a matter of fact it is soft for a Group 4 School.

The administration is also NOT the problem. Mr Millar does go out of his way to help the program. Outside of a few incidental, isolated incidents, I have seen nothing which would suggest the Administration is not doing enough for the program. What more should they do?

The assistant coach you speak of has ruined the football program; what he did with the Generals program was ridiculous. You will see how that set back the program for a few years. His nonsense about this "tough schedule" is just that, nonsense: and it makes for a built in excuse and leads to the whimpification of the kids.

There are some really great assistants on the staff; Coach O is GREAT, Coach Edwards is a valuable pick up and Coach K is very good the kids like him a lot. I think the Frosh Coaches, in particular Coach Avitable but also Santos, Kuhrt and Connelly also do a good job. Coach Avitable should go up to Varsity next year. A lot of young kids got significant playing time for the program this past year. Add to that the outstanding Frosh coming up and the nucleus is there for a dynamite team next year. But it all starts RIGHT NOW. These kids have to regain direction, get in the weight room and get it done, WE CAN HAVE A WINNING FOOTBALL PROGRAM AT KEARNY!

Guest Generals Parent
I really think you need to check your facts. Playing in the Watchung Conference had NOTHING to do with our record. If you look closely we only played 3 teams from the Watchung Conference. That's right only 3, in a "reduced" schedule. We played 4 Group 1 football teams this year, losing to the first 3 with 1 coming up this friday night.  And we beat one of those teams for our only win! The Schedule is not the problem at all. There were also 50 kids to start the season, we are now down to 25. We have had only 1 season-ending injury that I am aware of off hand. The schedule is not that tough as a matter of fact it is soft for a Group 4 School.

The administration is also NOT the problem. Mr Millar does go out of his way to help the program. Outside of a few incidental, isolated incidents, I have seen nothing which would suggest the Administration is not doing enough for the program. What more should they do?

The assistant coach you speak of has ruined the football program; what he did with the Generals program was ridiculous. You will see how that set back the program for a few years.  His nonsense about this "tough schedule" is just that, nonsense: and it makes for a built in excuse and leads to the whimpification of the kids. 

There are some really great assistants on the staff; Coach O is GREAT, Coach Edwards is a valuable pick up and Coach K is very good the kids like him a lot. I think the Frosh Coaches, in particular Coach Avitable but also Santos, Kuhrt and Connelly also do a good job. Coach Avitable should go up to Varsity next year. A lot of young kids got significant playing time for the program this past year. Add to that the outstanding Frosh coming up and the nucleus is there for a dynamite team next year. But it all starts RIGHT NOW. These kids have to regain direction, get in the weight room and get it done, WE CAN HAVE A WINNING FOOTBALL PROGRAM AT KEARNY!

73283[/snapback]

Without going into any specifics about your post - good post. We need this enthusiasm across the board - with everyone involved at all levels.

Good coaches will make a good program and good players. Let them. Back them. Give them what they need.

For young players at this level the performance lends itself to discipline and desire. Few teams have a roster filled with skill players that can't be matched up. Winning is accomplished through the fight in the trenches. Giving it all for 48 mins. There are plenty of kids to fill these ranks, they just need a program that lends itself to finding them, preparing them and finally keeping them.

Watchung Hills? Whatever league the Generals play in - it's less about the competition then it is the drive and motivation for young players.

I believe it to be not about the size of the man in the fight but rather the size of the fight in the man. That goes for these young men as well.

Guest Guest_Stevie Nash_*

It was a GREAT night for football in Kearny and a HORRIBLE night for Kearny Football. The turnout for Mike Landi's number retirement was OUTSTANDING. It was great to see and hear about a great period in Kearny Football. It was a bit before my time but in speaking with many friends, some who were out on that field Mike Landi was truly one of the greats of KHS football. Also was a tremendous coach when he came to help out with the 1997 team which went 7-2. Outstanding! I wish the football team stayed out on the field and heard some of this so they could have learned and felt the TRADITION that does exist in KEARNY FOOTBALL.

That provides me with a good segue into my next item. Kearny lost yet again to a GROUP 1 school. This was the solution provided by the Head Coach and the assistant named above. Well this is NOT the solution for Kearny. WE ARE A GROUP 4 HIGH SCHOOL. Let's start acting like it. At least when we lost in the past we had dignity playing hard and losing to the better programs in the State of NJ. Now, we lose to horible small school.

What we need to do is concentrate on GETTING BETTER. Let's stop the shortcuts; I have learned from first hand experience in life that we should not look to taking shortcuts. Hard work will fix this. Let's play who we should be playing, and just make our program better. We need to stop the "poor me" attitude and stop feeling sorry for ourselves. There is currently some nice talent out on that field. We need to get the big kids walking the halls at KHS and get them excited about playing football. Do things which will encourage them to consider coming out for the team. Our Booster Club MUST BE FIXED. That is something we as parents can control. The fault lies with us too. Let's all start taking some ownership and stop passing the blame to the next person, especially when it is passed undeservedly to places that are not the problem. The Administration is not the problem; they have given the program the necessities it needs to be successful. It is NOT the Board of Education; they care and do give us what we need. What we need is a MOSES, someone to lead us out of this current state we are in. A leader who will get these kids out for the team and then keep them out for the team. We can win here at Kearny, and we will. So voice your opinions in a constructive manner to the right people, I know they will listen, and we can begin putting Kearny football on the map. Kearny CAN sustain Football and Soccer, it has been done in the past and we can make it a consistent occurence in the future.

Guest Guest_Stevie Nash_*

Sorry, I also wanted to address the item about kids quitting. Yes, a lot of kids quit because they did not play much. I also know kids quit because of the poor practices which did not involve everybody. That will change with the correct selection of Head Coach. They will run organized practices that involve EVERYBODY and will also be more judicious with their allocation of playing time. But lastly, you know what solves all problems? WINNING. And when I say winning it does not mean we have to win state championships right away (although that should be the ultimate goal!) nor does that mean win at all costs. It means becoming COMPETITIVE, believeing you have the opportunity to win every game, and foremost NOT GETTING EMBARRASSED and even ridiculed for all your hard work.

There is good young talent on that Varsity team. Even better, that talent is now EXPERIENCED, something hard to get on the Varsity level. And there is good talent coming up: I know and have watched that Freshmen class since they were on the Youth level and there is a lot of talent there as well. This is waht you have for next year: Seniors -- 6-3 as Freshmen. Juinors -- 3-6 as Freshmen although top freshmen that year played and started on Varsity. Sophs -- 6-3 as Freshmen. That is a LOT of talent, there is a lot of experience, add to that some size on the line and an organized, dynamic coach and you will have a WINNING combination, it can be done in ONE YEAR.

Last thing I want to say is we have to get a POSITIVE force going here. The negativity has to stop; in my opinion the past 2 years people who were negative about the program did so to cover their own inadequacies. If you talk bad about the talent on a team then that covers you and the job you are doing as a coach. Conversely, if you crush all the coaches then that covers you and gives you a reason why your son is not playing. Let's stop all that BS. Let's make it cool to be on the Football team (because it is VERY COOL, it takes a special person to gut it out and play a full season, and all stay eligible getting your schoolwork done!). If the team starts becoming successful you will PACK that stadium! It will be a magnificent experience, make it happen!

Without going into any specifics about your post - good post.  We need this enthusiasm across the board - with everyone involved at all levels. 

Good coaches will make a good program and good players. Let them. Back them. Give them what they need.

For young players at this level the performance lends itself to discipline and desire.  Few teams have a roster filled with skill players that can't be matched up.  Winning is accomplished through the fight in the trenches.  Giving it all for 48 mins. There are plenty of kids to fill these ranks, they just need a program that lends itself to finding them, preparing them and finally keeping them.

Watchung Hills?  Whatever league the Generals play in - it's less about the  competition then it is the drive and motivation for young players.

I believe it to be not about the size of the man in the fight but rather the size of the fight in the man.  That goes for these young men as well.

73748[/snapback]

THE LEAGUE THE GENERALS PLAY IN IS THE TWIN VALLEY ,AND YES IT IS A GOOD POST.THE FROSH TEAM WAS THE 1ST 8TH GRADE TEAM TO PLAY IN THE TWIN VALLEY LEAGUE.THESE BOYS PLAYED AT A MUCH HIGHER LEVEL OF PLAY

AND SEEN ALL THE BIG PLAYERS AND DID WELL.PLAYING TOWNS WITH GROUP 4 SCHOOL REC PROGRAMS.WEST ORANGE ,JERSEY CITY, PATERSON ECT.WILL PREPARE THEM FOR THE WATCHUNG HILLS H.S LEAGUE. THE FROSH 6-3 RECORED IS A GOOD START FOR THE FROSH TEAM .THEY COULD HAVE BEEN 7-2 GIVING A GAME TO A ROSELE TEAM.AND IF THEY HAD A FEW PRE-SEASON GAMES THEY MAY HAVE BEEN EVEN BETTER PREPARED. THE HEAD COACH AND HIS PROGRAM FAILED THIS FRESHMEN TEAM.IF NOT FOR THE FRESHMEN COACHES THIS TEAM COULD HAVE GONE THE SAME WAY AS J.V AND VARSITY, GOOD JOB FRESHMEN COACHES. THERE IS A LOT OF YOUNG TALENT OUT THERE

I HOPE THE A.D FINES A COACH AND A PROGRAM TO COMPLIMENT THEM....

THE LEAGUE THE GENERALS PLAY IN IS THE TWIN VALLEY ,AND YES IT IS A GOOD POST.THE FROSH TEAM WAS THE 1ST 8TH GRADE TEAM TO PLAY IN THE TWIN VALLEY LEAGUE.THESE BOYS PLAYED AT A MUCH HIGHER LEVEL OF PLAY

AND SEEN ALL THE BIG PLAYERS AND DID WELL.PLAYING TOWNS WITH GROUP 4 SCHOOL REC PROGRAMS.WEST ORANGE ,JERSEY CITY, PATERSON ECT.WILL PREPARE THEM FOR THE WATCHUNG HILLS H.S LEAGUE. THE FROSH 6-3 RECORED IS A GOOD START FOR THE FROSH TEAM .THEY COULD HAVE BEEN 7-2 GIVING A GAME TO A ROSELE TEAM.AND IF THEY HAD A FEW  PRE-SEASON GAMES THEY MAY HAVE BEEN EVEN BETTER PREPARED. THE HEAD COACH AND HIS PROGRAM FAILED THIS FRESHMEN TEAM.IF NOT FOR THE FRESHMEN COACHES THIS TEAM COULD HAVE GONE THE SAME WAY AS J.V AND VARSITY, GOOD JOB FRESHMEN COACHES.  THERE IS A LOT OF YOUNG TALENT OUT THERE

I HOPE THE A.D FINES A COACH AND A PROGRAM TO COMPLIMENT THEM....

73904[/snapback]

WE NEED A THANKSGIVING DAY FOOTBALL GAME, THIS PEELING POTATOES S**ks....

Sorry, I also wanted to address the item about kids quitting. Yes, a lot of kids quit because they did not play much. I also know kids quit because of the poor practices which did not involve everybody. That will change with the correct selection of Head Coach. They will run organized practices that involve EVERYBODY and will also be more judicious with their allocation of playing time. But lastly, you know what solves all problems? WINNING. And when I say winning it does not mean we have to win state championships right away (although that should be the ultimate goal!) nor does that mean win at all costs. It means becoming COMPETITIVE, believeing you have the opportunity to win every game, and foremost NOT GETTING EMBARRASSED and even ridiculed for all your hard work.

There is good young talent on that Varsity team. Even better, that talent is now EXPERIENCED, something hard to get on the Varsity level. And there is good talent coming up: I know and have watched that Freshmen class since they were on the Youth level and there is a lot of talent there as well. This is waht you have for next year: Seniors -- 6-3 as Freshmen. Juinors -- 3-6 as Freshmen although top freshmen that year played and started on Varsity. Sophs -- 6-3 as Freshmen. That is a LOT of talent, there is a lot of experience, add to that some size on the line and an organized, dynamic coach and you will have a WINNING combination, it can be done in ONE YEAR.

Last thing I want to say is we have to get a POSITIVE force going here. The negativity has to stop; in my opinion the past 2 years people who were negative about the program did so to cover their own inadequacies. If you talk bad about the talent on a team then that covers you and the job you are doing as a coach. Conversely, if you crush all the coaches then that covers you and gives you a reason why your son is not playing. Let's stop all that BS. Let's make it cool to be on the Football team (because it is VERY COOL, it takes a special person to gut it out and play a full season, and all stay eligible getting your schoolwork done!). If the team starts becoming successful you will PACK that stadium! It will be a magnificent experience, make it happen!

73875[/snapback]

You sound like an intelligent man, your not bashing, but trying to recommend how to improve the football program. Kearny could use more people like you advising the coaches! Thanks for a positive post, it makes me want to go cheer on the team! :)

• 2 months later...

Some time has passed since this post and even though football season is not until some time, there was a posting for a Kearny Football post recently and I was wondering if it was filled. There is some very good talent on that team even working now in the weight room to prepare for next year. Does anyone know what the status of the coaching situation is going to be for next year? Hoping things will change for the better. The Kearny students deserve better.

I would again love to see that stadium filled in the fall.

Guest FOOTBALL 95
Some time has passed since this post and even though football season is not until some time, there was a posting for a Kearny Football post recently and I was wondering if it was filled. There is some very good talent on that team even working now in the weight room to prepare for next year. Does anyone know what the status of the coaching situation is going to be for next year? Hoping things will change for the better. The Kearny students deserve better.

I would again love to see that stadium filled in the fall.

HEARD THE HEAD COACH IS COACH O ? I LIKE THE IDEA OF GOING WITH THE YOUNG GUNS.I JUST HOPE THEY GET OFF THE BALL FAST.WE NEED

OUR YOUNG FOOTBALL PLAYERS TO KNOW WE CAN PLAY AND WIN.AND IT STARTS WITH THESE COACHES.THEY HAVE TO SELL IT.THE TALENT IS THERE.

THESE BOYS ARE READY,STAY POSITIVE,STAY STRONG.